5398 42 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

Hi guys,

I screwed up last night and left my inspire on the backseat of my pickup with the doors possibly unlocked... Only the inspire in travel mode with gimble attached was taken.  I still have my batteries, dual controllers and charging system, for whatever reason, these were not taken.

I live in a rural community and chances are very high that I am the only inspire owner within 100km.  I'll be checking all pawn shops and put up a posting online.  

I am curious what to do next.  Is there any way to purchase just the inspire unit alone without addons?  Is there something I am not thinking of that might help me find the unit that was taken?

Thanks for any input.
2015-4-23
Use props
gds3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29646 ft
United States

Location of where it was taken?
2015-4-23
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

"in travel mode with gimble attached"????

Anyway . .

I would add a screen recorder to your ipad leave it on and wait for a gps signal to pop up.  Chances are good of finding it if they are within 2km of you and decide to turn it on . . .
2015-4-23
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Go to the local police with the serial number and a photo (yours or ANY Inspire will do).  As them to take a theft report and enter the device into your country's computerized stolen property system (here in the States it's called the National Crime Information Center, or NCIC).  Then if your device is found anywhere by the police, they will find you via the serial number.

Meanwhile you should directly contact DJI, since the device needs Internet in order to function and sooner or later it will reveal its location to the company.
2015-4-23
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

The the inspire have a batt in it?
2015-4-23
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

Hi PeteGould
What do you mean    (since the device needs Internet in order to function)

RE
2015-4-23
Use props
DIR_CHASE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372631 ft
  • >>>
United States

First thing you should have done is call the police file a report and then contact your auto insurance to file a claim on the item stolen from your vehicle some auto insurance cover stolen items.
2015-4-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-24 00:14
Not if you left the doors unlocked

Smash the window and deny the doors where not locked ...
2015-4-23
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Edit your post
2015-4-23
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

Hmmm that would have been a great time to have a 2nd redundant GPS tracker turned on.
2015-4-23
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for the advice everyone.

An update to the situation is as follows,

Have checked with home insurance provider to see about replacement coverage if any... They will get back to me within a day or two.

Filed a police report. After many rounds of going over it, we are uncertain as to if the doors were not locked... I originally assumed my door was unlocked due to no broken window, but now it looks like it may have been jimmied or something else.  GF truck also broken into  right next to it and she is certain her doors were locked...only Ipods and change stolen.  

Checked in with all local pawnshops within 200km.

I had other, more precious items stolen from the truck that I hadn't initially realized were taken.  The inspire is the least of my worries now.

Auto insurance says no coverage unless the item was bolted down.

I'll post again when something changes.
2015-4-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you have the Serial Number? Send the Serial Number to DJI so they can list the issue in their system. If someone sends it in for repair I would imagine that DJI will take the appropriate actions?
2015-4-23
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United Kingdom

This is a long-shot and not any sort of immediate solution, but if someone ever ends up posting any pics online (taken with the inspire camera) you can use this website to compare the EXIF data against known pics that you have taken.  You may be able to track it down at some point that way.

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
2015-4-23
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

chris@bigchris. Posted at 2015-4-24 06:58
This is a long-shot and not any sort of immediate solution, but if someone ever ends up posting any  ...

That's a new one for me, thanks for the heads up.

Spent the day canvassing my neighborhood, and offering a reward for the lost goods to all the seedy people around.   I think that is the only way this stuff  will ever get back to me.  

A few leads:
Monster brand Headphone cable left dangling from passenger door. Must have fallen from thief as he exited.
A blue bicycle that was left in neighbors yard.  Neighbors say the guy jumped over our fence into my yard then never returned for the bike.
Whoever it was had a large armload of stuff to carry and if he showed up on a bike and left it behind, then I suspect he/she lives nearby.

The talk of reward had many mothers yelling at their kids in hopes that they were the perpetrators, I think this method may work to get the gear back.
2015-4-23
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-24 05:14
Thanks for the advice everyone.

An update to the situation is as follows,

Insurance will not touch a claim without a police report. You filed the report and normally takes a couple of days for it to be written up and filed. Auto insurance will cover any damage done to the car...broken windows, doors, etc. Anything loose in your car will be picked up by either your home owners or your renters insurance. If this was done on your property, this should be covered by homeowners without question...even if the doors were not locked. Even with a 1K deductible, this is worth it for you to file a claim. You will notice very little in your premium. Hope you get it taken care of man. Also what city are you from? We can all help look on craigslist, ebay, etc.
2015-4-23
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-4-24 10:55
Insurance will not touch a claim without a police report. You filed the report and normally takes  ...

I hope your right about the home owners covering it.  I am talking to the adjuster today.

It was stolen in Williams Lake BC.  Thanks for any and all help guys
2015-4-24
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-24 08:17
That's a new one for me, thanks for the heads up.

Spent the day canvassing my neighborhood, and o ...

I would take the bike, go door to door, offer the reward, and ask anyone who knows who the bike belongs to.
2015-4-24
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

As far as i know, it is not possible to use the Inspire 1 without a DJI account, where you also have to register your aircraft.
At least in my DJI account my aircraft is registered, with serial number etc.

That being said, DJI should see very clearly when this aircraft flies again and where.
Did you tried to contact them ?
2015-4-24
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

mani Posted at 2015-4-25 00:40
As far as i know, it is not possible to use the Inspire 1 without a DJI account, where you also have ...

Yeah, I have passed along my s/n to DJI.  Problem is, the theives never stole the case with the remotes in it.  I think it may just end up being a trophy for someone.
2015-4-24
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-25 03:12
Yeah, I have passed along my s/n to DJI.  Problem is, the theives never stole the case with the re ...

Or Parts on eBay.
2015-4-24
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-25 03:12
Yeah, I have passed along my s/n to DJI.  Problem is, the theives never stole the case with the re ...

Really strange... It looks like someone was interested in your Inspire for parts, can't find other explanation for this kind of theft.

Sorry for your loss, hope you'll have some good news soon from Police or DJI, I noticed in your previous posts that there are other important things missing, not a really good springtime for you...
2015-4-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Crooks that steal this sort of thing rarely plan.  Most likely they saw something cool and took it, with no idea how it works or what would have to be stolen along with it to create a complete, working system.  Then they try to sell it to some idiot for $100, hoping he won't trouble himself about how to actually make it work until they're well down the road.
2015-4-24
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

^^^
I agree this post. Most thieves are opportunist.

Just like cars or motorcycles they go to a chop shop and gets broken down to parts to which they can sell for more than the whole car.
2015-4-24
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

chris@bigchris. Posted at 2015-4-24 06:58
This is a long-shot and not any sort of immediate solution, but if someone ever ends up posting any  ...

I had no idea this even existed.  Very cool - thanks for posting.

Hooks - So sorry to hear.  I hope you get your bird back.
2015-4-24
Use props
nwellborn85
lvl.2

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-25 03:41
Crooks that steal this sort of thing rarely plan.  Most likely they saw something cool and took it,  ...

Exactly.  They probably have no idea what they even have.
2015-4-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-24 05:14
I had other, more precious items stolen from the truck that I hadn't initially realized were taken.  The inspire is the least of my worries now.

If you don't mind me asking, what other items taken are more valuable than a 3k bird?

Bob
2015-4-25
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-26 03:56
If you don't mind me asking, what other items taken are more valuable than a 3k bird?

A Leica GS14 bases station and rover kit unfortunately.
2015-4-25
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-26 06:37

Yeah..that's the least of your worries. Dumb asses do not even know what they have, that's the sad part.
2015-4-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-26 06:37

Fuk, what an expensive lesson !!!

What's the verdict with your insurance company, are they gonna cover all 20k?

Bob
2015-4-25
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-26 07:21
Fuk, what an expensive lesson !!!

What's the verdict with your insurance company, are they gonna  ...

Nope, home insurance will only cover up to 5k of work related gear.
2015-4-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Was it at your house when it happened?
Could you see a clear face/faces on your security camera?

Bob
2015-4-25
Use props
Karman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1972 ft
Canada

Hooks Posted at 2015-4-24 23:15
I hope your right about the home owners covering it.  I am talking to the adjuster today.

It was  ...

Hi Hooks, I will keep a look out down here as I am in 100 Mile House.  Williams lake is not that big of a town I hope you find these criminals soon and you are reunited with your Inspire!
2015-4-26
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks Karman,

When I'm back up and running we should try and get together and exchange notes on all things RC.  I do this stuff for work here in WL and sometimes occasions arise that I could use an extra eye in the sky.
2015-4-28
Use props
chad
lvl.2

United States

If you decide to go to the police, be sure to mention that it probably falls under grand theft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_theft#Grand_theft_by_state - they *might* take it more seriously?
2015-4-28
Use props
nalhutta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138156 ft
Canada

Hey Hooks,

I hope you get some luck and your stuff turns up. I am based West of you in Bella Coola and will keep an eye and ear out in case it shows up down here!
2015-4-28
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks nalhutta
2015-4-28
Use props
fans4ab7e8dc
New
Flight distance : 138386 ft
United States

You got off easy. i was in a park finish up my practium when 4 black guys jumped me, beat the s@#t out of me and took my Inspire, tripod, camera and 4 batteries. There was a LA County Sheriff sitting in his car 200 feet away who just drove away.
2018-3-7
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep an eye on it on ebay.
2018-3-7
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer