Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery heater
5028 9 2018-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charles-Edouard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105896 ft
Canada

Is there something that i can use for heating my battery for my mavic? Its -15 out here and i want to fly it! Thanks
2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"When flying in cold temperatures, the BMS will activate low-temperature protection and will control power output according to the temperature. This ensures the battery can provide adequate propulsion without damage from the cold".
That said, the battery is designed to operate in temperatures upward of 0c (minimum). Put the battery in a sock and place it in an inside pocket of your coat - your body temperature will help to keep it warm. I wouldn't recommend flying in -15c though but it's your drone.
2018-1-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You can also buy battery warming devices, but I wouldn't recommend them for really cold temps.  They use power out of the same battery to keep them warm, and when flying in very low temps, you need all the battery you can get because capacity will be reduced.  I fly mostly from my house, so I keep the battery inside until I'm ready to launch and keep an eye on performance as it cools down while flying.  If I were able to travel and fly, I would do the same with the car heater.  Body heat is all that will save you if you're out hiking or something like that, although I doubt you'll be hiking much at that temp.  I flew a couple of days ago at -11F with no problem, but I watch the performance very closely and land right away if something becomes unstable.
2018-1-17
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I am using a heated case in which i put all my Lipos prior to take-off.
That case is being isolated, external power supplied and heats up to 38° Celsius.
There is enough room for all kind of batteries. (Mavic, Inspire etc.)

Never had an issue flying in cold environment (tested to -15°C)

Heated case:
2018-1-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

All joking aside the best way to keep your batteries warm is an inside pocket of your coat or the dashboard heater in your car...
2018-1-17
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Keule Posted at 2018-1-17 11:21
I am using a heated case in which i put all my Lipos prior to take-off.
That case is being isolated, external power supplied and heats up to 38° Celsius.
There is enough room for all kind of batteries. (Mavic, Inspire etc.)

That is great.
Can't you make one yourself I wonder?
If you buy one of those cheap 12 volt heat pads for car seats, carefully remove the heating elements (seat and back), build them into a suitcase / box that can easily be insulated with some polystyrene board or foam of a kind. Then it would be possible to use it - or? Other ideas?
2018-1-17
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

yr pocket is probably the best cause it is always with you, and its free
2018-1-17
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-17 11:52
That is great.
Can't you make one yourself I wonder?
If you buy one of those cheap 12 volt heat pads for car seats, carefully remove the heating elements (seat and back), build them into a suitcase / box that can easily be insulated with some polystyrene board or foam of a kind. Then it would be possible to use it - or? Other ideas?

Yep, you can build those cases by your own.
You already had some good ideas :-)

Pay attention to not overheat the inside of the case, have fuses in the circuit and use electrically non-conducting material for the floor element.
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic doesn't have the battery heater, you can put it inside your pocket for heating the battery. According to the specs, the operating temp range for Mavic Pro is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), if you need to fly the drone in a low temp condition, you can prewarm the battery on the drone first.
We also got a tutorial on flying in high and low temperature, hope it will provide you with some tips.

2018-1-17
Use props
Norm62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28064 ft
United States

Can use in a pocket or carrying bag... BigBlue No Fuel Need 3-in-1 Rechargeable Electronic Hand Warmer USB 6000mAh Power Bank Battery Charger with Emergency Light -Red
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules