GPS tracker if lost
12Next >
18461 47 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Has anyone tried a GPS tracker if your phantom 3 gets lost?  I know there's some sort of app for last point of contact.  I called and spoke with a tech as DJI and he said there are several gps devices that you can buy that are hand held.  For pets.  Some are bluetooth.   So, If I fly over farmland and the device hits something or birds attacks it and in the event it doesn't come home, would this be something I can add to get me through the trees to find it.  or am I worrying too much.
2015-4-23
Use props
amstaff_loyalty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546752 ft
Sweden

People have had GPS trackers mounted on their UAVs for years...
2015-4-23
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Will it have the same feature as the p2 where you can track it via gps through the app? Can any inspire owners using the app confirm this?
2015-4-23
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I'm looking for a brand or recommendation
2015-4-23
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-V16-M ... hash=item4ae8418b69

I have use this. It weigh only 26 gr. It has got GPS chip inside.
You just send SMS to tracker and it reply straight link to Google map. It is very accurate. You can also make a call and listen, where the ringtone is coming from.... e.g. your drone has landed in to tree
2015-4-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a trackimo
http://droneflyers.com/talk/threads/trackimo-personal-gps-and-gsm-tracker-review.788/
trackimoPhantom.jpg
2015-4-23
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of the commonly used trackers can be found here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#Trackers

The trick is going to be finding a place to mount them -- since they can no longer be mounted between the landing gear.
2015-4-24
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used to use the cheap ones that you can call or send a text too. Now I use the Trackimo and it's build quality is excellent.
2015-4-24
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Where would you think a trackimo could be mounted on the phantom 3?   I hadn't planned on using any sort of cage on the bottom
2015-4-24
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-4-24 22:12
Where would you think a trackimo could be mounted on the phantom 3?   I hadn't planned on using any  ...

The Marco Polo transmitter is small enough to Velcro to the back of the P3.  
2015-4-24
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I want a GPS tracker that uses RF only, broadcasts for at least a week and has no subscription fee (no cellular data plan). I like to fly in places without cell coverage and seriously, who wants to pay a monthly fee for something you are not even using?
I use a LassoTag currently attached to the top of the drone with a zip tie around the main body: http://lassotag.com/ It costs $20, broadcasts for a couple of months on a single battery. Its range is only 50 feet but that could make all the difference when looking for a drone. The batteries ar $8 for 50 on Amazon. The app sucks but does show signal strength and works on my iPhone.
2015-4-24
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-25 00:53
I want a GPS tracker that uses RF only, broadcasts for at least a week and has no subscription fee ( ...

Well, the Marco Polo isn't GPS but it will work without cell coverage and it is useful up to 2 miles and fits all your other requirements.  I don't know of a combination GPS/RF tracker, but there may be one.  One thing about GPS is it isn't always reliable if the aircraft is covering the tracker or is in a position with poor GPS reception (next to a building, under tree canopies, in a ravine, etc)   That's why I like the Marco Polo.
2015-4-24
Use props
edonovanl
New

United States

I've only used the Drone-Mods UAV-Locator and I like its accuracy.  It lasts about 7 days, which I have tried, and uses a combination of GPS and Cell towers and requires a $5/mo fee.  Trackimo is cheaper but I'm not sure how dependable it is...
2015-4-24
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Looks like I'm going to have to wait to see what's available on mounting.  Better in hand before ordering.   I also have a small child.  Would be nice to have some sort of device on my child in the case we did something in a crowded public arena.  Insurance is good.  
2015-4-28
Use props
maxtam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 205633 ft
Hong Kong

simply stick your smart phone on it would help.
2015-4-28
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

maxtam Posted at 2015-4-28 22:51
simply stick your smart phone on it would help.

It has crossed my mind.  I have an extra iphone from upgrades I just use for pandora streaming to my receiver at home.  Wonder what a minimal plan would run. Probably more expensive than a dedicated GPS tracker.
2015-4-28
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

I have a Suunto that I will probably throw on there http://www.suunto.com/en-US/products/pods/suunto-gps-track-pod/It weights 35 grams, how do you guys think that will effect flight time?
2015-4-28
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Robharris07 Posted at 2015-4-28 23:18
I have a Suunto that I will probably throw on there http://www.suunto.com/en-US/products/pods/suunto ...

The PS3 can lift up to 3-4 chasis on it's own (minus electronics and motors).  I think that will be fine.  Can you locate the device on the iphone?
2015-4-28
Use props
Briseham
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Is this not a good solution (Loc8tor) ?:  
http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/everyd ... _campaign=rchobbies
Decent price, too: £45 for locator unit and two tags, each 5 grams.
2015-4-28
Use props
Briseham
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I should have made it clear in the last post: Loc8tor does NOT use GPS, and there is of course no ongoing payment or contract.  Co. used to also offer a longer range Plus 'handset' but this seems no longer available. The current 'Lite' model is also specifically targeted at R/C markets - amongst others.
Hope this helps.
2015-4-28
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-4-28 23:35
The PS3 can lift up to 3-4 chasis on it's own (minus electronics and motors).  I think that will be ...

you track it through a mobile website, so technically yes.
2015-4-29
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love my marco polo

2015-5-2
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I'm down to the trackimo or the marco polo.   I'm leaning towards trackimo because it can be used with a phone.    I would plan on some point having my daughter carry it if we were in a crowded area and having to have the maco polo hand held would be a pain.  I'm thinking.    It also says over a wooded area 1/2 mile range.  Whereas the trackimo doesn't have this limitation.     Still thinking
2015-5-2
Use props
manofword
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2440177 ft
  • >>>
United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-3 10:09
I'm down to the trackimo or the marco polo.   I'm leaning towards trackimo because it can be used wi ...

I have used a Trackimo with great success! It saved me when my P2 went crazy and flew away and crashed. Fired up the app, went to where it was located and brought it back home! Lost the Trackimo due to being velcroed on but bought another right away. I won't fly w/o one now. I have it on the back of the battery to the left of the power button.
2015-5-2
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-3 10:09
I'm down to the trackimo or the marco polo.   I'm leaning towards trackimo because it can be used wi ...

Ive tested but not in that video you see and I live in a very mountainous area and found it over 2 miles away by having someone hide it for me.  I know the hand held tracker is kinda annoying but where I live there is no cell coverage and this was my only choice.
2015-5-2
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Has anyone came up with a good place to mount the Trackimo?
I bought this http://www.uavbits.net/store/p20 ... _for_Phantom_3.html
I was hoping I could mount it to that but it is too small.
I am thinking maybe on a flat spot of a leg but I don't think that will be secure.
2015-6-9
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-9 21:56
Has anyone came up with a good place to mount the Trackimo?
I bought this http://www.uavbits.net/sto ...

I used that exact combo and seems to work for me.
2015-6-9
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-10 00:45
I used that exact combo and seems to work for me.

You mounted it to the guard?
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-10 22:26
You mounted it to the guard?

Yep I did.
2015-6-10
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Can you post a pic please?
Also did you tether it?
2015-6-10
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Trackimo seemed to me to be the best deal with no sim cards to get. Mounted it on the leg vertical to the ground.
2015-6-10
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Having looked at all the options, it seems the Marco Polo is the best choice for me, for the following reasons:
Pros:
  • No cell charges
  • No need for cell service (if you fly in ultra-urban or ultra-rural, cell service can be spotty)
  • No GPS reception necessary (in urban settings, GPS can be unreliable, at best).
  • Light weight
  • Seems to be accurate enough to get you within feet (Vs GPS that may only be as accurate as 10m)

Cons:
  • Need separate handheld tracker (but I'll just stash it in my backpack)
  • Range might be less than GPS or Cell-based systems

2015-6-10
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Any reason not to use a combination of a GPS + non-GPS tracker beyond the weight issue.  Trackimo (42g) + Marco Polo (12 g) = 54g total payload.  I fly in both types of areas - mountainous and urban, and all in a single day.  So having both solves all tracking issues.  And adding a Marco Polo doesn't add to any monthly charge - it's just a one-time purchase.  

I've seen some payload test videos online, but haven't watched them yet.  If the trade-off is something like 20 mins of flight time without payload vs. 17 minutes with payload, I'll go with payload.  If the delta is something like 20 vs 10, then it might not make sense.

Naturally, trying to mount two devices could be a challenge.  But the camera guard looks like it could hold both easily.

Thoughts?
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-10 23:19
Can you post a pic please?
Also did you tether it?

Trackimo

Trackimo

Just stuck it on with the velcro and some extra glue.  If it falls off I'll just track it.
2015-6-10
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Thanks, I thought of the same place but I am scared there isn't enough surface to hold it.
2015-6-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-11 08:50
Thanks, I thought of the same place but I am scared there isn't enough surface to hold it.

I ran a piece of black duct tape the width of the velcro across the guard and smeared a little gorilla glue on it.  Stuck the velcro on the top side and it ain't going anywhere.  Even if it falls off I can go straight to it...cause..you know, its a GPS tracker.
2015-6-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Trackimo is great and will work worldwide!
2015-6-11
Use props
scottgraser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2446266 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am also looking for a tracker. The trackimo only allows 15 text alerts per month is that right?
2015-10-23
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Michael M Posted at 2015-4-23 19:22
Will it have the same feature as the p2 where you can track it via gps through the app? Can any insp ...

the tracking from the DJI app works as long as the power of the bird is not broken off. Say you hit something, the battery rips out and it continues "flying" some distance. Otherwise you can see the last position (with power) in the flight log.
2015-10-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The RF-V16 tracker is half the size of the Trackimo, half the weight and less than half the cost. And it does exactly the same job.
2015-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules