Question About iPad Mini 4 (or tablets) - W-Fi Only or Wi-Fi + Cell
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1127887 ft
United States

So I'm researching the iPad Mini 4 for use with my P4P Advanced and I see there's a Wi-Fi only version and one with cellular connectivity.  It appears the Wi-Fi only version does not have GPS, so RTH and Waypoints, as well as a few other features, cannot be used.  As a newbie to UAS's, I really need the RTH feature, and Waypoints is a must for my biz.

But I also read that an iPad Mini 4 only needs the Wi-Fi + cell connectivity for the GPS work and if I get that, I don't necessarily need to add a line to my T-Mobile account for the GPS to work; that having the cell connection makes loading coordinates faster but the GPS will still work.  If I were to only get a Wi-Fi + cell enabled Mini 4, I assume I could also tether to my iPhone 6s Plus if I had too.

So, my long-winded question is, should I get just the W-Fi only version, the Wi-Fi + cell with no additional monthly subscription to my cell provider, or should I get the Mini 4 w/Wi-Fi + cell and pay for an extra line each month.

Thank you so much in advance!  I cannot wait until this snow passes and I can get to an open field this weekend to try this thing out!

Frank

2018-1-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RTH, waypoints etc does work with WiFi only. There are just a few features you won't be able to use: -
>Dynamic home point - resetting the home point to a new location during the same flight
>Live map cache - maps can still be cached at home before you leave over a WiFi connection and you don't need to cache maps to fly
>Follow me flight mode - not to be confused with Active Track (which will still work) follow me links to a tether in your device and follows the device. I've used it twice in nearly a thousand flights LOL
Thats's it - everything else is exactly the same. I use the iPad Mini 4 without cellular and if I need any of those features listed above I'll use my iPhone 7+.
2018-1-18
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

A CW Posted at 2018-1-18 04:14
RTH, waypoints etc does work with WiFi only. There are just a few features you won't be able to use: -
>Dynamic home point - resetting the home point to a new location during the same flight
>Live map cache - maps can still be cached at home before you leave over a WiFi connection and you don't need to cache maps to fly

You beat me to it there really is no need to go cellular if you have a phone that you can tether to the tablet and it's possible to tether most phones not only apple ones.
2018-1-18
Use props
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1127887 ft
United States

Awesome, awesome, awesome!  I've seen some factory refurbished W-Fi's for a lot less than the combos, which is great!
2018-1-18
Use props
pakubear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56414 ft
United States

i'm so glad i found this. i was so ready to pull the trigger on a new cellular iPad. thank you so much..
2018-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules