Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SSD stops if SD card is full?
2047 9 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wildtales
lvl.2
Hungary

Hi guys, we just got our Inspire 2 with X5S camera. We use a 480Gb SSD card to record dng or prores.  Our understanding is that you can not record on the SSD unless you have a microSD as well, so the camera records simultaneously lower quality videos as well. (As of now, this is default until the new firmware comes out). But does the camera stops to record onto the SSD if the microSD is full?  
Also, is there any chance to see how many minutes recording time are remaining on the SSD? Or only the remaining gigabytes?
Thanks!
2018-1-18
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

EDIT: I WAS WRONG! {no, it doesnt stop recording onto ssd if the sd is full.}
yes it does stop when SD is full!

BUT: you cant start a new recording when the sd is full! this is annoying.

my suggestion is: get the biggest sd card you can find. this way you have lots of "headroom". before we did this with our i2, we often had to reformat the sd in-flight, just to be able to record another clip on our ssd...

as long as you know this before shooting, it wont be a problem ;)
2018-1-18
Use props
wildtales
lvl.2
Hungary

CiRec Posted at 2018-1-18 07:45
no, it doesnt stop recording onto ssd if the sd is full.

Thanks for the quick answer! Good to know.
In a way it's logical (that you can't start a new shot if the sd is full), however quite annoying. Hope the new firmware will fix this and we don't need the microSD if we already record higher quality video on the SSD.

But is there any way to see the remaining minutes on the SSD (in the chosen actual format and resolution) or only the remaining available gigabytes?
Thanks once again.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

CiRec Posted at 2018-1-18 07:45
no, it doesnt stop recording onto ssd if the sd is full.

Hi CiRec, can you please double check if the the SSD can still keep recording when the SD card has been full? As far as I know, it will not, when the SD card is full, there should be a pop-up message indicating there is no enough room for SD card, and the recording will get stopped.
2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

wildtales Posted at 2018-1-18 13:12
Thanks for the quick answer! Good to know.
In a way it's logical (that you can't start a new shot if the sd is full), however quite annoying. Hope the new firmware will fix this and we don't need the microSD if we already record higher quality video on the SSD.

Wildtales, we apologize for the inconvenience caused, currently, we recommend to use a larger Micro SD card to avoid this situation, but we will optimize the storage workflow in the future firmware to make you have a better experience. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-1-19
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-19 00:30
Hi CiRec, can you please double check if the the SSD can still keep recording when the SD card has been full? As far as I know, it will not, when the SD card is full, there should be a pop-up message indicating there is no enough room for SD card, and the recording will get stopped.

oops, sry for the mis-information!

while i am really sure the ssd didnt stop recording (the one single time we ran into this problem), it now for sure does. there is no popup message, the recording stops immediately and a audio message tells you so.

it did never happen again for us, since we now use a 64GB SD card. just be sure to reformat it every time you reformat the SSD (or even more often).

but on the other hand: this behaviour should be altered soon ;)
2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

CiRec Posted at 2018-1-19 06:50
oops, sry for the mis-information!

while i am really sure the ssd didnt stop recording (the one single time we ran into this problem), it now for sure does. there is no popup message, the recording stops immediately and a audio message tells you so.

Thanks for your assistance to confirm the actual performance when the SD card gets full, our engineers also working on improving and optimizing the principle, let's wait for the future update.
2018-1-20
Use props
fans5d6c2e12
lvl.1
United States

I recently upgraded to the i2 from the i1.  (Been shooting video for decades) I purchased the SSD/Pro Res Key!  Both the SD an SSD are the smaller 16/120.  I formatted the SSD and not the SD!  While in mid flight It indicated SD card Full!  I thought, OK, no problem... I don’t want the h264 anyway.  “Surely the SSD is still going to record.”  I hit the record and it appeared to be recording!  To my shock!  Absolute Shock!! It did NOT record to my empty SSD!  We were in a remot location with only our last set of batteries. So Sad.  What is DJI thinking?
2018-2-24
Use props
hdrone 1
lvl.1

United States

I just bit  the bullet and paid for the  pro-res,i find it to be insane where Im forced to record on a media I don't even need   ..this is 2022 and still no fix for this ..at this level of the game..this is crazy..coming from the m600 which has its own issues ..im not happy
2023-1-2
Use props
paul420
lvl.1

Algeria

yes it does stop when SD is full!

2023-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules