Broadcast mode poor quality
5254 9 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kelly's Heroes
lvl.1
Belgium

Hi there,

we're testing the broadcast mode on inspire 2 to implement it in a live multicam broadcast setting. From our first results quality looks really poor on the HDMI out.
It's supposed to be 1080 but in motion you can see a lot of compression low quality issues.
So we're looking for solutions to get the best out of the signal and came across some questions on the way..
-We always work in master & slave mode: how is the video signal transmitted? From I2 straight to slave or from I2 thru master to slave?
-We're thinking on buying the cendence with the patch antenna. Is this a guaranty for better quality? About master/slave: If you use the cendence in Slave mode, does the I2 transmit the video signal straight to the slave controller?
-Any news on the tracktenna? releasedate?
-Any other tricks or tips to get the best out of broadcast mode?
DJI Mindy?
2018-1-18
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The SLAVE gets the signal via the MASTER - not direct from the aircraft.
Cendence offers an SDI output which would be more appropriate for professional broadcast  - but I have no experience of Cendence so cant vouch for the quality of the SDI Output.
Kind regards.
Allan
2018-1-18
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Apparently, you are customers with deep pocket, I am sure that your local retailer would set up a demo for you and answered all your questions. Please relate any interesting findings to us, a lot of people is not getting answers. I don't think it is fair for customers to find out the details only after they purchase the equipment.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kelly, sorry for the trouble caused.
-The image transmission of Slave RC is from Master RC for Inspire 2.
-No matter what antenna you are using with Cendence, the workflow of RC is the same, the image transmission of Slave RC still comes from Master RC, and no matter how high-quality video transmission is, the maximum HDMI output is 1080P.
May we have a picture or short video of the HDMI output quality in Broadcast mode?
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

allanart Posted at 2018-1-18 13:56
The SLAVE gets the signal via the MASTER - not direct from the aircraft.
Cendence offers an SDI output which would be more appropriate for professional broadcast  - but I have no experience of Cendence so cant vouch for the quality of the SDI Output.
Kind regards.

Theoretically, SDI and HDMI are two different ports, no much difference in transmission quality, it just boasts longer transmission distance and more stable signal. It is the most widely used interface in the Broadcasting and Television industries.
We will do our best to help OP with his issue, thanks for your thoughts and input.
2018-1-18
Use props
Papaxiclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5455981 ft
Portugal

I had the inspire2 master remote connected to a broadcast van and the eng. refused the input because of low quality.
There was a vertical banding going from up to down at regular intervals that was very distracting like if I was getting the link disconnected every 2 sec or so.
The resolution was in fact 1080 but it was unusable.
This another thread of the same issue:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D385%26typeid%3D385

And one of the files stored on my Crystalsky where you clearly see the regular banding or "update" of the image transmitted:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Vy/view?usp=sharing

Anyway to solve this Mindy?

Thanks
2018-1-26
Use props
Mickkeat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12790013 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Any further updates on this? We have exactly the same issue and DJI seem to go quiet on the topic whenever it’s questioned.
2018-6-22
Use props
Swedishdroneman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 783783 ft
Sweden

Today we took the Cendence remote + Inspire 2 to an OB company and hooked the SDI output into their production van. The purpose was to evaluate the image quality in Broadcast mode with the reputed 10 Mbit data rate. (A competitor of ours had caused a total failure last year while connecting the HDMI output of the standard control to an HDMI-SDI-converter and then on to the OB van. The engineer I talked to said "the lawn came out as a gigant chunk of green while the clouds looked like the ones in Super Mario 8 bit ...) Anyway, since DJI promotes the video link from Inspire 2 to the Cendence remote as usable for live broadcast, we were having great anticipation. Unfortunately there was no joy. Even with the camera stationary on the floor there were compression artifacts visible in some areas. And with the drone moving around things of course got a lot worse, with an unacceptable result. Simply to much visible deterioration. I should mention that we tried both the 2,4 and 5,8 GHz band and that reception was excellent. So the Tracktenna, which disappeared from the Internet before one single unit was shipped, won't help here either.  I'm convinced that the engineers on DJI are very aware that the image quality the Cendence outputs is far from broadcast approved. It's a shame that the guys on Sales won't admit it.   So back we go to the bulky S1000 with a dedicated RF video link and 8 minutes flight time.  The Cendence is NOT the death of the news chopper...  Case closed.
2019-1-28
Use props
paulpaulbarker.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 893261 ft
United Kingdom

Greetings all,
I too am looking at the Inspire 2 for live broadcast and so far results have not been great. I tried testing by hooking the HDMI of the remote to a Blackmagic 4k recorder then looking at the results recorded on a full sized monitor afterwards. The quality was not good so I have been doing further investigation and here are my current thoughts.
I was using a crystal sky display which does not have the option to switch the video link between 720 and 1080, so the feed I was getting from the drone was 720p. Setting the output of the controller HDMI to 1080 is only doubling the frame size, not the actual quality of the feed, so doing this will probably make things look a lot worse than if you were outputting 720p from the remote. To be able to switch the feed to 1080, this is done in the HD settings tab in the Go4 app on an android or IOS device (currently not supported on crystal sky, though after spending so much one one I am pretty irritated off about this fact).....I have yet to try this properly. The trade off is that I expect the transmission range to be highly reduced. Again I need to test this, but it may give acceptable results, especially if the bitrate is kept high, the drone is kept close and the movement of the drone is very gentle
There seems to be little good info on the subject of broadcast mode anywhere on the internet, but here are my initial thoughts. I tried switching to broadcast mode while testing yesterday. It brings up a little icon in the top left corner of the screen. Tapping on this gives the option to broadcast in 720p or 1080i. Again I have yet to test this but I think it may switch the feed from the drone, and the output from the HDMI to 1080i which was the standard for TV cameras for a long time and may be acceptable for TV broadcast now. Next time I get the chance I shall go out and do more tests.

Other thoughts I have had...I have an original Mavic Pro and the DJI Goggles. With this it is possible to get a 1080p feed direct to the goggles which looks great. I am thinking of hooking the crystal sky to the Mavic remote and seeing what the HDMI out gives. It may be the case that drones which use Ocusync can feed back a higher quality video signal, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.  

Re the Cendence with the patch antenna, I have seen a test on Youtube which did show a significant improvement in video quality so long as the antenna was pointed at the drone. A cheaper option may be to try the slip on parabolic reflectors with the original remote....another thing to test.

Watch this space for the results.
2020-8-10
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Read some of the other posts to this topic.
We have made some lab tests and went with a custom build drone and hf image transfer to the broadcast truck.
None of the current dji solutions provides a high quality live signal.

Our findings are all in some other posts.
2020-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules