App Disconnect and Loose Controller Connector
2820 13 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

We've seen plenty of reports on the forums regarding the Go4 app disconnecing while flying. Sometimes after a few mintues and sometimes after ten. One of the standard solutions seems to be to use a different USB cable and to connect to the USB port on the bottom of the controller. When I do that I don't get any disconnects while flying.

After flying today I connected the controller to the power supply to be charged. I decided to use a different cable because it was nearby. I noticed it wasn't charging so I used the cable that came with the Mavic. I noticed that one didn't work either. Giggling (technical term) the cable, I noticed that it would be charging and not charging. I got it positioned correctly so that it would charge. So I guess now I have a loose connector on the controller.
This got me to thinking/wondering if the cause of the app disconnects could be a loose connector on the controller. This is the first time I've had issues with the connector while trying to charge. But if the connector is bad, it would certianly explain app disconnects.

Thoughts?

2018-1-18
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

Personally I already test change the cable, change the port and the only solution that I found to avoid the "aircraft disconnected" was downgrade to v01.04.0100 But maybe in your case can be the USB port on controller. You tryed charge with some other cable that you have confidence that work well? (to check if really is the port or cable)
2018-1-18
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

drn3px69 Posted at 2018-1-18 17:46
Personally I already test change the cable, change the port and the only solution that I found to avoid the "aircraft disconnected" was downgrade to v01.04.0100 But maybe in your case can be the USB port on controller. You tryed charge with some other cable that you have confidence that work well? (to check if really is the port or cable)

Yeah, I used a cable that I know works. When it didn't work with the controller, I thought that maybe DJI had some proprietary connection that wouldn't let "normal" cables work.

I've got the latest version of the Go4 app (Android) and the latest firmware. I also use a USB cable from my phone to the bottom USB port on the controller. I fly three batteries today and didn't have any disconnects.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

How about the connection between your phone and RC with the left USB port? Will it also exist the same case? If it is convenient, I would like to have a video of this case, please kindly focus on the charging side. For your question, if the USB port is loosened, there might be a bad connection between the port and the cable, which means it might disconnect the app if the connection fails.
2018-1-18
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-18 18:33
How about the connection between your phone and RC with the left USB port? Will it also exist the same case? If it is convenient, I would like to have a video of this case, please kindly focus on the charging side. For your question, if the USB port is loosened, there might be a bad connection between the port and the cable, which means it might disconnect the app if the connection fails.

Since the beginning, around October 2017, I had issues with disconnects when connecting my phone on the left side of the controller. When I use the bottom USB port to connect my phone to the controller, I don't experience disconnects while flying. Ever since then, I use the bottom USB port when flying and use the left port to charge the controller.

I didn't notice the charging problem until today. And that's when I thought that maybe that's what's causing the disconnect issues. Maybe others are experiencing the same.

I'll be more than happy to get video. I can get video of the intermittent charging with the left side of the controller. I can get some video of connecting the phone to the left side of the controller. I haven't tried that in a while but expect to see the app disconnect. Is there anything else you want me to video?

Finally, using the left port on the controller is the only want to charge the controller, correct?

Thanks for your help.
2018-1-18
Use props
Sky Captain
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200075 ft
United States

Also, make sure that pocket lint is removed from your connection, the Lightning port, that can make the connection fail
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-18 19:30
Since the beginning, around October 2017, I had issues with disconnects when connecting my phone on the left side of the controller. When I use the bottom USB port to connect my phone to the controller, I don't experience disconnects while flying. Ever since then, I use the bottom USB port when flying and use the left port to charge the controller.

I didn't notice the charging problem until today. And that's when I thought that maybe that's what's causing the disconnect issues. Maybe others are experiencing the same.

The video which indicates the loosen of the port is enough.
And the left port can be used for connecting the mobile device, PC and charging, and charging the RC can only be realized when connecting to the left port, so you are correct.
2018-1-22
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-22 01:09
The video which indicates the loosen of the port is enough.
And the left port can be used for connecting the mobile device, PC and charging, and charging the RC can only be realized when connecting to the left port, so you are correct.

Hi @DJI Thor, sorry for the delaying responding. Here's a video demonstrating the loose USB connecting port on the controller.

2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-28 05:25
Hi @DJI Thor, sorry for the delaying responding. Here's a video demonstrating the loose USB connecting port on the controller.
https://youtu.be/wEMWpxBq3c8

Hi there, I am terribly sorry for the late reply. Since you mentioned that you had changed the cable but the issue persists, I would suggest sending the RC in. You can click here for applying an online repair case:https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2018-2-6
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it is less than 30 days from retailer... return it and get a fresh one. My guess is you are going to have more issues down the road.
2018-2-6
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-2-6 04:14
If it is less than 30 days from retailer... return it and get a fresh one. My guess is you are going to have more issues down the road.

Unfortunately it's been more than 30 days...
2018-2-6
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-6 04:08
Hi there, I am terribly sorry for the late reply. Since you mentioned that you had changed the cable but the issue persists, I would suggest sending the RC in. You can click here for applying an online repair case:https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thanks for the reply DJI Thor.

It'll be hard parting with the controller and not being able to fly for a period of time. How long does the return/repair process take?

Thanks...
2018-2-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

The RC side connection is deffinately a weak point IMHO, especially because its a rectangular hole while it should at least have been an normal Micro USB connector.
You always risk to put the cable in the wrong way putting force on the connector.

Can't understand that with the Mavic Air, they fitted an USB-C connector on the aircraft itself, but kept the rectangular Micro USB connector on the remote, so you always need the fiddly Micro-USB to USB-C adaptor. They should have put an USB-C connector on the remote aswell to make it less vulnerable and more idiot proof.
2018-2-6
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

I had the App crash and also the App disconnect at fkrst with the new update. Downgrading to 4.15 helped a bit. After i u installed the App and reinstalled the newest version again, I am happy to say, that now it works just fine.
Those are the following settings I currently use

Mavic Pro
HTC U11+ (always in airplane mode)

Recording at 1080 at 30 Fps (american format)
Settings +1 , 0 , 0
Color: Cinematic
MP4

Pictures in 4:3 12mp.
RAW
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules