my left joystick (Throttle) locks in full down position... is this normal?
3262 15 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

The left stick(throttle) locks in the full down position.  I am a Newbie.   Just got the P2Vplus as a  birthday gift from my wife.

Is this normal?  It is the new style remote controller with the wheel in the upper left to control up/down of the camera.

Thanks so much.

Larry
2015-4-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Please read THIS
Yes its supposed to do that, but before you rush out and fly, study the manual in the link above. That along with the quick start guide and pilot training manual will save you a lot of trouble later on...
2015-4-23
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

yes it is normal
2015-4-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Just reading your question, literally.....
No, it is not normal to get a Phantom from your wife as a gift!...You lucky Dawg!

It is normal for the left stick to lock down, very useful from high descents...just keep it moving a bit and keep an eye on it....

check out phantomhelp.com, look at the manuals section and download the "Ultimate Phantom Guide"...it will give you lots of goo information and good answers and highly recommended before you fly that new bird into la la land...
Happy Flying....
2015-4-23
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

No, it is not normal to get a Phantom from your wife as a gift

Now that's funny

Locking is normal also you have to remember to unlock the throttle when you start it up or it will just shut itself right back off.
2015-4-23
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-24 04:41
Just reading your question, literally.....
No, it is not normal to get a Phantom from your wife as a ...

Thank you thank you thank you.

Yes, my wife is amazing.  I always hesitate to spend money on myself (crazy) but she always encourages it.  It was a total surprise.  My 70th birthday I should add.  She conspired with my kids to keep it secret.

(My wife also encouraged me to buy a Cirrus (new) when I became a pilot 20 years ago...so yes...a keeper:-))!

I am trying to be very methodical and learn all I can...believe it or not I have had it for a week and not tried it out.  I want to understand everything first so have been watching videos etc.  almost almost ready to go.  I am still on the fence about whether to get (and which) prop guards.  I see pros and cons...a main con is that it will not fit back into the box for transport.  I have some experience and practice with a micro-quad copter which is challenging to control.

Oh: one more perhaps dumb question: can a second iDevice be hooked up to the P2V+ wifi simultaneously so someone else can monitor the camera?
2015-4-23
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Larry, congrats on your new toy. You are doing the right thing by reading, watching videos, etc. as far as hooking up a second device for camera, No not on the phantom. It can be though on the Inspire 1 though. Tell her you really need the dual controls so you can fly & she can take photos & Video
Again, congrats & enjoy the quad.
2015-4-23
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Larry L Posted at 2015-4-24 06:27
Larry, congrats on your new toy. You are doing the right thing by reading, watching videos, etc. as  ...

Dual controls?   Hmmmm.
But it will be nice if she can watch the photos I take on her iPad.  

We live at lake george in the Adirondacks so there is a lot to photograph but also a lot to bump in to:-)!  Would like to get good enough to launch off the boat.  

Any thoughts on the prop guard issue?

This is exciting.

Larry

2015-4-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-24 06:20
Thank you thank you thank you.

Yes, my wife is amazing.  I always hesitate to spend money on myse ...

Larry,
If you have flown a smaller quad then you have done better than most. Flying this thing is very easy. Just lots of necessary steps and precautions to take prior to throttling up the motors. If your outdoors in an open area I wouldn't bother with the prop guards. They do make some that can be easily installed and removed quickly. Have fun and enjoy. When you have a question or want to know anything, this is the place to come. There are plenty of nice people here to help you out.
Ray
2015-4-23
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-24 08:06
Larry,
If you have flown a smaller quad then you have done better than most. Flying this thing is  ...

Thanks Ray.   I was thinking of the removable kind. Anyone know the name and where to buy?   I think I read that they take 4 screws to be replaced for each guard.  
2015-4-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-24 11:35
Thanks Ray.   I was thinking of the removable kind. Anyone know the name and where to buy?   I thi ...

check out phantomhelp.com or amazon or ebay and search for summitlink as one of the suppliers...
2015-4-23
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Larry, I personally have not used prop guards. Just never really thought about them. Some people swear by them. Just be careful as on windy days & descending, you can get some undesired effects.  One caution I will say is, if you decide on them, If you have the kind that uses the string that encompasses the guards, keep an eye on the wear of the string. There has been one or two people that have reported the vibration has worn the string to the point of breaking & getting sucked into the prop  & into the motor & causing it to stop. They will not fly on 3 motors
2015-4-24
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Larry L Posted at 2015-4-25 01:43
Larry, I personally have not used prop guards. Just never really thought about them. Some people swe ...

thanks
I ordered the phantom guard by bezem.  removable.  and i liked the video:-).
2015-4-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

you can open the remote up and remove two screws on a small metal band and disable the 'lock' wihtout any other issues to your remote.  i did it because i am opposite (my up/down is right stick and my forward/back is left stick so it wasnt locking my throttle but my reverse which makes no sense).  it is a fairly simple thing to do if you dont like the lock feature.
2015-4-24
Use props
scottsharber
New

United States

I use the locking feature to turn off the motors after a flight. I have heard this feature referred to as a throttle lock, to keep it locked when descending. I am afraid that if I am descending from a high altitude and use the locking feature to keep the speed steady won't it turn off the motors and fall out of the sky? Just want to be sure. I am fairly new and have about 10 hours flight time under my belt. Thanks for any advice.
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I am not sure i have the strength to do this debate over again, so to keep it short, NO it will not shut off the motors in flight...
2015-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules