Don't care about smaller toy drones - Give us a better Mavic camera!
1812 19 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Dear DJI,

I think I speak for many people on this forum, that is, your customers.  I can't foresee the future, even just 5 days in the future. However, I think a lot of us would really like to see a Phantom 4 Pro-type camera on a Mavic-type airframe, using Occusync. I think most of us are not interested in smaller, toy drones, with all the limitations they have.

How about it? How about giving your customers what they really want - a great camera on a great flying platform?

Thank you.

2018-1-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I totally agree. It still should be portable.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for bringing us the attention. However, different drones might have different market targets, and I believe the Mavic Pro's camera had been the optimized version when it was designed.
Of course, I understand the user's requirement on the camera and also it would be great if a drone has strong configuration and portable. Hope we will have more products with greater configurations and functions in the future.
2018-1-18
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-18 22:32
Thanks for bringing us the attention. However, different drones might have different market targets, and I believe the Mavic Pro's camera had been the optimized version when it was designed.
Of course, I understand the user's requirement on the camera and also it would be great if a drone has strong configuration and portable. Hope we will have more products with greater configurations and functions in the future.

The Mavic is great... But its camera is severely limited. The sensor is tiny, no aperture control, the bit rate is too low for quality 4K, takes far too long to focus, there's too much compression, and too much image processing (especially noise processing). Put something substantially better than a cellphone camera on a Mavic-type platform, and you'll have a winner. A smaller Mavic, same or similar camera... Yawn.
2018-1-18
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-18 22:49
The Mavic is great... But its camera is severely limited. The sensor is tiny, no aperture control, the bit rate is too low for quality 4K, takes far too long to focus, there's too much compression, and too much image processing (especially noise processing). Put something substantially better than a cellphone camera on a Mavic-type platform, and you'll have a winner. A smaller Mavic, same or similar camera... Yawn.

Yeah I vote for that too!
2018-1-19
Use props
Jumbo333
lvl.2
Flight distance : 797930 ft
France

Totally agree !!!
2018-1-19
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Here is a new option, coming soon, camera seems much more durable, and shoots 4K video @ 60 FPS   Autel EVO

2018-1-19
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are a group of RC people that do not yet buy DJI products.  The business plan for DJI will most likely be to tap into a market share that they do not yet cover, same as most companies.  Just because you want a better camera for your current range doesn't mean that DJI should put 100% effort into providing this.  I am sure they are working on better equipment for the existing high end and mid drone stock, but I would expect that most of their effort is in new development of new products and new markets and if that involves racing quads then throughout the seasons and at exhibitions you will see signs of this coming to the market.
2018-1-19
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-19 01:28
Here is a new option, coming soon, camera seems much more durable, and shoots 4K video @ 60 FPS   Autel EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCRnraziJg&feature=share

So a camera with no adjustable aperture, and no information on bit rates.  4K at 60fps doesn't really mean anything on its own. Adjustable aperture is huge for videographers.
2018-1-19
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-19 01:42
So a camera with no adjustable aperture, and no information on bit rates.  4K at 60fps doesn't really mean anything on its own. Adjustable aperture is huge for videographers.

Ya, still waiting on a full set of specs by Autel, time will tell
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-19 01:42
So a camera with no adjustable aperture, and no information on bit rates.  4K at 60fps doesn't really mean anything on its own. Adjustable aperture is huge for videographers.

100% agreed.
This is not a true camera upgrade for me.
1"sensor, 100MB/S bitrate, and variable aperture would be!
2018-1-19
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

I agree - better camera would be great but also a thor says it will likely come out in a future model vs a hardware improvement on the existing model. I thought the mavic platinum would have been a great chance for this - but not - we will have to wait and then most likely have to purchase a new drone for the better camera.
2018-1-19
Use props
Mianmach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 447293 ft
Mexico

Isn't it kidda great that our Mavic's are not electronics that expire every year and make us feel we have old versions pretty fast? Of course I would love to have a drone with nices specs, but it woul be a pitty is this turns like iPhone all the way and every year we feel a need to upgrade our mavic. Let's learn to be patient, Amigos!
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am a massive fan of the Mavic but when I compare the images I've taken between my P4P and MPP it is clearly obvious which one has the better camera. I totally agree that a 1" sensor on a Mavic will be a huge move in the right direction for DJI and I'm sure someone in Shenzhen knows that by now LOL Who knows what 23 Jan will bring...
2018-1-19
Use props
djiuser_41qGMv6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 331217 ft
United States

From a new drone pilot and amateur photographer at best I really like the Mavic. The photos and video have exceeded my expectations. Almost everyone I show the photos and video to is amazed. Am I against a much better MP? Of course not. But it seems that DJI makes products with much better photo/video capabilities. I am already looking into getting an Inspire 2. The MP is part toy part camera to me. If I want real quality photos and video the Inspire will be on the way.
2018-1-19
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_41qGMv6 Posted at 2018-1-19 19:34
From a new drone pilot and amateur photographer at best I really like the Mavic. The photos and video have exceeded my expectations. Almost everyone I show the photos and video to is amazed. Am I against a much better MP? Of course not. But it seems that DJI makes products with much better photo/video capabilities. I am already looking into getting an Inspire 2. The MP is part toy part camera to me. If I want real quality photos and video the Inspire will be on the way.

The Inspire camera is a significant jump forward from both the Mavic, and even the Phantom 4 Pro. For many, who don't want to spend $4-5000 on an Inspire 2, a good compromise would be a Phantom 4 Pro-like camera, on a Mavic Pro-like body.
2018-1-19
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

Remember that the mavic is an action drone unlike the phantom drones so a bulky camera would slow it down and make it not as portable and cut into flight time
2018-1-19
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

fans4ee4a121 Posted at 2018-1-19 21:29
Remember that the mavic is an action drone unlike the phantom drones so a bulky camera would slow it down and make it not as portable and cut into flight time

Yes... I'm thinking a replacement for the Phantom, not the Mavic. The Mavic is the future... But it needs a better camera to continue to exist. The Phantom platform is old news... But it has the camera.
2018-1-19
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I feel the same way: I keep hoping for a Mavic 2 or Phantom 5 -- either of which I would likely buy -- and wind up disappointed when all that's announced is essentially a Mavic "Light". If enough time passes, or if they drop the price, I'll probably get a P4P, but I'd rather having something even better (e.g., a P5), because for better or worse the Mavic Pro now represents the minimum capabilities I expect to get when I buy a drone.
2018-1-20
Use props
fans9553217f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Spain

A better camera may not result in a quality photo or video. One that is stunning, i mean. People with skill can create awesome shots with just a smart phone.
Did you buy the mavic because of its other features or did you consider what users said about the camera?
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules