Mavic Pro unable to fly far distances
6616 9 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cstephens10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170545 ft
United States

So I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about drones lately and I noticed that most mavic pro drones were flying far distances(6000ft or more).. whereas my mavic pro will only go about 3000 ft  away without experiencing poor connection and a laggy screen. Anymore than that distance I feel uncomfortable flying because of how bad the connection becomes. Is this issue popular or frequently seen in DJI products? Should I get my controller/drone checked out. Are there certain settings within the DJI app that could enhance my flight distances?
2018-1-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

It’s all about the area your flying in. When your signal starts to degrade raise your height and remember to adjust your antennas . Btw you want to fly in a area that has little to no interference.
2018-1-18
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Agree, you have to keep the aircraft in good line-of-sight with the controller antennas. The most common reason for signal deteriorating is the aircraft being too low to the ground and it descending behind trees/hills etc. between you and it.
I've tested both a mavic pro and my P4P out to about 2 1/2 miles, with only one or two bars being lost on the controller signal strength and still a good video downlink. I won't say where I tried this or how high up I had to go to maintain line-of-sight, but it was much more than 400' AGL I'll put it that way. I started running out of battery and had to turn around well before the a/c's were going to start going out of range....
2018-1-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Of course, there's always that silly question - why do you want to fly so far away?  Since you're US based, there is that visual line of sight thingy.  Also, at that distance, any problem will likely result in total loss of your drone.
2018-1-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed the farther you fly away increases your risk of crashing.
2018-1-18
Use props
cstephens10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170545 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-18 21:09
Of course, there's always that silly question - why do you want to fly so far away?  Since you're US based, there is that visual line of sight thingy.  Also, at that distance, any problem will likely result in total loss of your drone.

I'm not asking about flying crazy far away. It's just annoying that I can't fly across points of interest around my neighborhood that are literally just beyond my drone's signal by a hair.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

cstephens10 Posted at 2018-1-18 21:57
I'm not asking about flying crazy far away. It's just annoying that I can't fly across points of interest around my neighborhood that are literally just beyond my drone's signal by a hair.

Since you mentioned that you were flying the drone around your neighbourhoods, I recommend that you can try to test the distance in another wide, broad place with less or no interference.
Basically, like Woe commented on 2#, flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment,  also, the antennas position of the remote controller is also significant. Distance should be greater than height during flight, and please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the tutorial below. Still, use a mobile device with a strong performance. Hope it helps.

2018-1-18
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Poor connection, , I believe, is referring the RC reception of data from the Mavic.  I don't know how the Mavic reports poor reception from it's side.  If you're still able to control movement with the RC, then the Mavic is still receiving an acceptable signal.  One step I always take when flying is to reduce possible interference to the RC by shutting off all RF transmissions from my cell - Bluetooth, WIFI, and cellular (Airplane Mode) and avoid operating from areas where there is likely to be electronic noise.  Raising the height of the Mavic also helps with signal strength at longer distances.  

In addition to poor signal and interference, lagging  video might also be a result of overloaded phone processes.  Be sure you also kill any unnecessary apps and processes on your phone before flying. That may also save you from APP disconnects.
2018-1-19
Use props
djiuser_CbfiJvy
lvl.2
Argentina

14km roundtrip without problems in fcc, reaching 7km is lost a bit the hd signal, but very little time .... always trying mod in open places without magnetic antennas
2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_XmspFR8jXsCz
New

South Africa

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-19 06:36
Poor connection, , I believe, is referring the RC reception of data from the Mavic.  I don't know how the Mavic reports poor reception from it's side.  If you're still able to control movement with the RC, then the Mavic is still receiving an acceptable signal.  One step I always take when flying is to reduce possible interference to the RC by shutting off all RF transmissions from my cell - Bluetooth, WIFI, and cellular (Airplane Mode) and avoid operating from areas where there is likely to be electronic noise.  Raising the height of the Mavic also helps with signal strength at longer distances.  

In addition to poor signal and interference, lagging  video might also be a result of overloaded phone processes.  Be sure you also kill any unnecessary apps and processes on your phone before flying. That may also save you from APP disconnects.

Wow thanks for this, I have a Dji mini se and can't even go far then it says RC signal lost. So I'll be trying to put off all unwanted apps and see from there
2022-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules