Thumb or two fingers?
3514 25 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

I'm curious as to how other Pilots control their drone.

I find that by using both thumbs & index finges to control the sticks, I can make more precise movements.  It also feels a lot more secure than having my thumb resting on top of it.
Single SelectVote, Total 69 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

76.81% (53)
18.84% (13)
4.35% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-19
Use props
Nikp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123947 ft
Seychelles

I find using my thumbs I get genauen control... the only time I need more control is when turning the drone sideways. This is often a little more choppy or too fast. But I’m getting a hang of it lately!

What is also a bit hard to control for me is the gimbal. I have it on 10 now, and i i thinks it’s better now..
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on the RC in hand - thumb and index with my P4P, thumb only with my MPP suits me best.
2018-1-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

thumb seems to be the natural choice
2018-1-19
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I have always used thumb only for my RC helicopter and airplanes.  I do the same for the drone.  Just feels right.  

I have read that it is popular for top RC model pilots to use index finger and thumb for more precise control.  It seems very popular with European RC pilots to use a tray held by a neck strap for the controller so their hands are free.  I have always just held the controller in my hand which pushes me more to thumb use.  No neck strap.
2018-1-19
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

To make a smooth and perfect manual Point of intrest you will definitely need 4 fingers...for the Phantom controller anyway.
2018-1-19
Use props
Strobing_NYC_Sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

Just the thumbs for me and left index finger to control the gimble movements. Only issue is when it's freezing outside can't feel my fingers after just 1 battery lol.
2018-1-19
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Thumb control, and fingers for Gimbal and taking photos,,
2018-1-19
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

Both are good.
Some larger RC Transmitters, for RC planes or Helicopters are designed to use thumb and index.
Most drone transmitters are designed to be used with thumb, expecially Mavic & Spark.
Even larger transmitters like P3 and P4 are still desinged for thumb control.
Some are saying the the thumb control is less preicse, well I am flying 3D RC helicopters using only my thumbs.
2018-1-19
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

When taking videos and pictures, thumb only to be able to access other buttons.
But when I am in sport mode pretending to be a drone racer, I set the controller on my lap bracing the sides with the edges of my palms and use thumb and index finger for precise and smooth input.
2018-1-19
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

These rubber tops are also good for fine tuning, i never take them off...
IMG_1853.jpg
2018-1-19
Use props
Greg Glasson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

JMR58 Posted at 2018-1-19 13:25
These rubber tops are also good for fine tuning, i never take them off...

These look great! Any idea where I can get some? What are they called exactly?
2018-1-20
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thumb but I training for change a bit for fingers
2018-1-20
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Greg Glasson Posted at 2018-1-20 16:26
These look great! Any idea where I can get some? What are they called exactly?

Hey Greg,

Black Durable Rubber Thumb Grips(eBay)...
Thumb grip DJi remote controller(Amazon)...
2018-1-21
Use props
Greg Glasson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

Thanks JMR58!
2018-1-21
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Thumbs only but sometimes the index finger comes in.
2018-1-21
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Interesting, but not entirely unexpected results, with most people favouring their thumbs to control their aircraft.

Next opportunity I get to fly, I'll use the iPad screen to control the gimbal, as I find using the wheel confusing and get it wrong more often than not.
2018-1-23
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tend to use thumbs for the Mavic type controller due to the shape of the sticks, but having been a fixed wing and helicopter flyer for many years I prefer to use fingers on Inspire/Phantom and RC controllers. I feel this gives more precise control. When doing aerobatics such as a loop with a fixed wing if using largish stick movements, when you bring for example your right thumb back to climb, it with tend to naturally curve slightly to the left and conversely if pushing forward to dive will curve to the right causing the aircraft to skew a bit. Using fingers prevents this and will give straight commands
2018-1-25
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-1-25 00:18
when you bring for example your right thumb back to climb, it with tend to naturally curve slightly to the left and conversely if pushing forward to dive will curve to the right causing the aircraft to skew a bit. Using fingers prevents this and will give straight commands
THIS ^

Precisely put and beautifully worded.
2018-1-25
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Thumb. Think I’ll give the pincer technique a try though.
2018-1-25
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've tried the pinch technique over and over down through the years and I've never been able to get it to work. Much too cumbersome, especially when having to make large control inputs. So I always just seem to go back to the thumb-on-the-end technique....
2018-1-25
Use props
Foxeuphoria
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8110 ft
  • >>>
United States

Coming from racing AC I can say that the only way I can fly is thumb and index finger.  Flying with just my thumbs is not precise enough and as a result I would crash a lot.  Those habits carried over and its the only way I fly now, regardless of AC
2018-1-25
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's a strong lead in favour of thumbs with 3/4 of the votes , but it's no real surprise to be honest.

I do like the detachable sticks on the Mavic Air RC.  I assume that the DJI store will be stocking plenty of spares .
I wonder how long it'll be before the big auction site is flooded with cloned sticks.
2018-1-25
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thumbs on the sticks, and index fingers for camera/gimbal
2018-1-25
Use props
Pat sh
lvl.1
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-19 09:42
I have always used thumb only for my RC helicopter and airplanes.  I do the same for the drone.  Just feels right.  

I have read that it is popular for top RC model pilots to use index finger and thumb for more precise control.  It seems very popular with European RC pilots to use a tray held by a neck strap for the controller so their hands are free.  I have always just held the controller in my hand which pushes me more to thumb use.  No neck strap.

i use a neck strap. It feels more secure  and use thumbs on sticks
2018-1-25
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

It does not really matter. Just make sure you have enough space to make quick reflexes in case you are about to crash into something
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules