Range?
1698 13 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Askew
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm always pushing the boundries to see what my inspire 1 can do and i'm always interested in the range with live video feed.

Today with the extended batteries I thought I would see how far I could get it to go with live video feed..... I was amazed! I got 5.5km before I pulled her back worrying about battery life. Granted it was loosing singnal anyway but that's a serious range!

Please don't go on about regulations as you have no idea the conditions it was flown under and where and it's not up for discussion so I was just interested how everyone else finds the range on theirs?

Cheers
2015-4-23
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Curious, what happens if you go too far out of range?  Does the Inspire just return to home?  My max comfort zone has been 2km and I was shaking.  Perfect GPS and transmitter communication.
2015-4-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great post on the capabilities for your Inspire. True, it all depends on conditions and locations. Great info.
Thanks for the post.
2015-4-23
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-24 05:57
Curious, what happens if you go too far out of range?  Does the Inspire just return to home?  My max ...

yes that is correct! it comes back to home point unless you cancel it when in range...
i have flown 4.5 km on sea level in grenada
2015-4-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Curious, what happens if you go too far out of range?  Does the Inspire just return to home?  My max ...

Ah got shakes huh , Been there ! exiting isn't it....
2015-4-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

If the RC and birds communication is cut or lost the bird will begin the Return To Home process , with the phantoms back in the day you tested the auto RTH feature by turning the RC controller off ! Spooky the first time I tested it to know it would work if needed , haven't done this with my inspire yet but it must be tested sooner or later to know if it will return home after turning the RC off.
2015-4-23
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

"5.5km" - can you verify that?

I've seen reports on youTube where arrays of patch antennas with signal boosters was needed  to fly out to a "World Record" 6.5km
2015-4-23
Use props
David Askew
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yes if it goes out of range it just returns home. But I always use the forward stick anyway to help it get back quicker because it doesn't fly at full speed by default.

doctrrf - No i'm not sure how id verify it but i'm not interested in proving it to anyone anyway. arunmehta else stated they got 4.5km at sea level so is that hard to believe? I just ensure the aerial paddles are in an upward position and the further away it goes the higher I send for line of sight.

I'm also lucky enough that I was flying it on a farm then out to sea so there's very little to no interference which is why i suppose I got such amazing results.

daver/m- Yes it will return home if you turn off the controller because the communications have been cut, it's the same as if you range of range.
2015-4-24
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

“…i'm not sure how id verify it…”

The Inspire 1 records all flights in the Pilot app. A screen shot of this flight from your Flight Record in the Pilot app would be cool to see.
You may want to block (photo-edit) any city/location references if privacy is a concern before posting the picture.
2015-4-24
Use props
David Askew
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Give me clear instructions on how to and i will
2015-4-24
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Holy *&^%!
I got my bird to fly at 60MPH yesterday in atti mode, no wind!!!
That means it will take me a minute to get back from a mile out!
I can live with that.
2015-4-24
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

5.5km wow, and I thought I was doing wonders at 2.2km.

Well done mate, go for it..

You can play it back in the app, User center/flight records, it records all flights,, you can fast forward/pause,
play to furthest distance, pause then take screen shot.

Regards
Mike.
2015-4-24
Use props
dabadouba00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1207477 ft
Greece

Hello guys,
I ve seen some youtube videos of people (a Turkish guy to be exact) that flew his Inspire too around 6km away and back but I saw he had another 3 tripods with some kind of square white (DJI range extenders) around him.  Do you know what are these?
Have you guys flown it so far without any range extgenders or extra antenna mods?

Thanks for your time
Costas from Athens Greece
2015-4-24
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Indonesia

Just went to 2,5kms with great video downlink, have been cut off a couple of times but nothing scary. I will try the max distance over the sea next month in Mauritius...
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules