New guy, new drone (to me), new issue.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
quik455
lvl.1
United States

40yo first time drone owner here
So I decided to jump into the hobby and ended up buying a second hand P4 that had a cracked landing gear, tweaked gimbal arm, and some very minor cosmetic damage. It flew fine as is but I replaced the landing gear, gimbal arm, cleaned up the body and added a decal for the hell of it. Test flight again it it flew fine. I just recently updated the firmware and recalibrated everything that could be, still flies fine.

Here's my issue

I did a nice 2 mile loop around my work today and when "returning to home" it came down fine but then strafed to the left with a large gust of wind and the props made contact with the bulding and shattered due to it being near single digit weather. Nothing big, new props and mounts that I already had just incase since it is my first drone.

The problem is now the drone does not want to power back up after I removed the battery and reinstalled it. Nothing, no lights, no beep, no cooling fan. I've been an auto tech for 20 years and electronics are no fear for me so I completely took it apart andseperated the shells figuring I may have knocked a connector loose, but I found nothing wrong. Battery is good and full charged, it does the battery self check but it's as if it's just not connected to the drone.

Is there some fail safe after a crash I don't know of or some common problem?

Trying to figure out my move before I start looking at the ESC but it's just weird that it happened and won't power up now.

TIA
2018-1-19
Use props
quik455
lvl.1
United States

New guy, new drone (to me), new issue.

Posted in general support by accident and find the delete option so.....

40yo first time drone owner here
So I decided to jump into the hobby and ended up buying a second hand P4 that had a cracked landing gear, tweaked gimbal arm, and some very minor cosmetic damage. It flew fine as is but I replaced the landing gear, gimbal arm, cleaned up the body and added a decal for the hell of it. Test flight again it it flew fine. I just recently updated the firmware and recalibrated everything that could be, still flies fine.

Here's my issue

I did a nice 2 mile loop around my work today and when "returning to home" it came down fine but then strafed to the left with a large gust of wind and the props made contact with the bulding and shattered due to it being near single digit weather. Nothing big, new props and mounts that I already had just incase since it is my first drone. no other damage

The problem is now the drone does not want to power back up after I removed the battery and reinstalled it. Nothing, no lights, no beep, no cooling fan. I've been an auto tech for 20 years and electronics are no fear for me so I completely took it apart and seperated the shells figuring I may have knocked a connector loose, but I found nothing wrong. Battery is good and full charged, it does the battery self check but it's as if it's just not connected to the drone.

Is there some fail safe after a crash I don't know of or some common problem?

Trying to figure out my move before I start looking at the ESC but it's just weird that it happened and won't power up now.

TIA

2018-1-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

There is not much point in going after the ESC, as it is not a seperate item, in Phantoms the ESCs, 4 of them, are part of the main board and cannot be replaced individually. More likely is the problem will be the battery making connection inside the aircraft. Can you try another battery? Or borrow one to test it out?
2018-1-19
Use props
quik455
lvl.1
United States

One of the guys at work is bringing his in tomorrow and he has spare batteries so that was my next step. I was figuring there might be an issue with he ESC central board since it's the one that the battery plugs into, and seeing as they're only around $80 I wouldn't be against trying it and having an extra to keep around if it didn't fix it. I'll try the other batteries tomorrow and see what result I get, it's just tripping me up it was only after the accident.

Bumming me out too since it's supposed to be fairly warm and clear out tomorrow lol. I was going to see how it well it stretched it's legs since we have 4 miles of property at work...
2018-1-19
Use props
quik455
lvl.1
United States

Found a video, this is exactly what's going on.

Actually found two of these videos and both on brand new drones, no fixes in the comments though.

So this is what I'm dealing with.

2018-1-19
Use props
quik455
lvl.1
United States

Solved it.

Turned out to be the battery, just an odd coincidence I guess. We tried his battery and it powered right up and to double check we tried mine in his and nothing.
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

quik455 Posted at 2018-1-20 05:14
Solved it.

Turned out to be the battery, just an odd coincidence I guess. We tried his battery and it powered right up and to double check we tried mine in his and nothing.

Glad you solved the problem. I've seen posts on here of the battery connector in the drone even melting... Worrying.
2018-1-20
Use props
quik455
lvl.1
United States

Yeah I was reading through those as well. My terminals are good, I was just thrown off by the sudden failure and the collision and thinking they may be related.

Now I get to fly after all today.
2018-1-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

quik455 Posted at 2018-1-20 06:24
Yeah I was reading through those as well. My terminals are good, I was just thrown off by the sudden failure and the collision and thinking they may be related.

Now I get to fly after all today.

Glad you solve it. Did your battery work well? I would recommend you wipe the connector of battery with 95% alcohol,and a cotton swab, and let the alcohol air dry before turning on the battery. If the problem remains, please contact our support: http://www.dji.com/support.
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules