Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calibration after Firmware update
4099 34 2018-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
integer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

we need to do compass,imu,gimbal calibration after firmware update?
2018-1-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only compass.
2018-1-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

thanks for your answer
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only calibrate the IMU and gimbal after a FW update and only calibrate the compass if the app tells me to when at my flight location.
2018-1-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

I don't calibrate nothing, only if the app tells me to. so who is the right here?
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find the official DJI manual to be right. You should read it too. This is from page 54...

Calibrating the Compass
Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so. Observe the following rules when calibrating your compass:
DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground.
DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as cellular phones.
The DJI GO 4 app will prompt you to resolve the compass issue if the compass is affected by strong interference after calibration is complete. Follow the prompted instructions to resolve the compass issue.
2018-1-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 06:53
I find the official DJI manual to be right. You should read it too. This is from page 54...

Calibrating the Compass

i have already read this information and thank you for your research.but I want to know what the users are doing. sorry for my english
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

integer Posted at 2018-1-20 07:06
i have already read this information and thank you for your research.but I want to know what the users are doing. sorry for my english

As a user myself who owns and has flown multiple DJI drones over a long period of time that is what I do in answer to your question and what I (and the manufacturer of your drone) recommend. I have never lost a drone so, in my personal experience, it always pays to follow the instructions presented to you. If your compass reading is green/excellent then why calibrate? The calibration itself can cause the compass to fail if there is any interference at your flight location.
2018-1-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

I agree with you  but why you calibrate the imu and gimbal after a fw update?
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

integer Posted at 2018-1-20 07:32
I agree with you  but why you calibrate the imu and gimbal after a fw update?

To ensure that the accelerometer, gyroscope and gimbal are realigned perfectly as the vibrations from the FW can impact on all 3. It's not essential but I always have and again, no issues in doing so providing the drone is on a level surface.
2018-1-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 07:40
To ensure that the accelerometer, gyroscope and gimbal are realigned perfectly as the vibrations from the FW can impact on all 3. It's not essential but I always have and again, no issues in doing so providing the drone is on a level surface.

I may have to consider doing this. In the year I’ve owned my Mavic I’ve only done one Imu calibration and never done a gimbal calibration
2018-1-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 07:40
To ensure that the accelerometer, gyroscope and gimbal are realigned perfectly as the vibrations from the FW can impact on all 3. It's not essential but I always have and again, no issues in doing so providing the drone is on a level surface.

thanks my friend for your information
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

integer Posted at 2018-1-20 07:51
thanks my friend for your information

No worries. The bottom line is really to calibrate as little as possible.
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-1-20 07:50
I may have to consider doing this. In the year I’ve owned my Mavic I’ve only done one Imu calibration and never done a gimbal calibration

I've seen my IMU drop from .20 to .01 after a quick calibration and that does help to keep the drone from drifting but yeah, it's something I do monthly if that.
2018-1-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 08:03
I've seen my IMU drop from .20 to .01 after a quick calibration and that does help to keep the drone from drifting but yeah, it's something I do monthly if that.

Definitely doing it today before flying.
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-1-20 08:11
Definitely doing it today before flying.

Take a note of the IMU readings before and after and post the difference on here.
2018-1-20
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Vibrations from firmware?
2018-1-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 08:18
Take a note of the IMU readings before and after and post the difference on here.

No problem
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, vibrations from the FW due to the drone sitting idle in the same position and the cooling fan turning on for a prolonged period whilst the FW updates the AC and RC. The fan causes the drone to vibrate and the IMU readings are affected by it in my experience. That is why I have always calibrated my IMU after a FW update and always will...
2018-1-20
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 06:53

Calibrating the Compass

Suggest you go back and re-read page 54 of the manual Version 2 available at https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20V2.0.pdf

[size=26.6667px]Calibrating the Compass
It is recommended to calibrate the compass in any of the following situations when flying outdoors:
1.   Flying at a location farther than 10 km away from the last flight location.
2.   The aircraft hasn’t been flown for more than one month.
A compass interference warning appears in the DJI GO 4 app, and the warning persists after chang
-
ing location.
Restart the aircraft when calibration is complete.
2018-1-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

integer Posted at 2018-1-20 05:54
thanks for your answer

Sir, if you fly in a new place, you can calibrate the compass. Calibrating IMU is needed when the drone can not fly stably. Thanks for your attention.
2018-1-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

One year of ownership and haven't calibrated ANYthing yet.  All green and all stable.
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-1-20 14:48
Suggest you go back and re-read page 54 of the manual Version 2 available at https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20V2.0.pdf

Thats good to know but glad to see that I'm still right in the information I gave to the OP in that you do not need to calibrate your compass just by doing a FW update in your house. Strange how I and others have not calibrated at new locations and still have never lost or crashed a drone and RTH works perfectly. I guess this depends on the area in which you fly.
2018-1-20
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-20 23:26
Thats good to know but glad to see that I'm still right in the information I gave to the OP in that you do not need to calibrate your compass just by doing a FW update in your house. Strange how I and others have not calibrated at new locations and still have never lost or crashed a drone and RTH works perfectly. I guess this depends on the area in which you fly.

Neither have I...  I did one calibration when I got my Mavic in July and since then, I've flown in Texas and in Colorado.  Never a bug.  Was just advising that the manual V2.0 says something different that the original version.  
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, strange why DJI have changed this important info in the latest version after advising never to do it unless the apps tells you to for so long...
2018-1-21
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

i calibrated the IMU.
before Calibrating IMU the value was 0.008, now is 0.001

now i want to calibrate combass.
who is the correct value of compass?
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would check the compass readings when you arrive at you flight location before take off and calibrate if not green providing you are not near any metal objects etc. Do not calibrate the compass inside
2018-1-21
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-1-21 10:12
I would check the compass readings when you arrive at you flight location before take off and calibrate if not green providing you are not near any metal objects etc. Do not calibrate the compass inside

it is green. but I do not understand the displayed values. what is their meaning?
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would mean writing an essay to define that on here LOL Google 'accelerometer and gyroscope in drones' and enjoy the read In quick terminology the gyroscope uses Earth’s gravity to sense orientation and the accelerometer assesses linear acceleration based on non-gravitational forces, namely vibration. Ultimately, the speed and rotation and position of the drone which aligns to the compass and the drones velocity. With a reading of 0.00001, a green compass reading and a home point on your map you have nothing to worry about LOL
2018-1-21
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-1-21 10:53
It would mean writing an essay to define that on here LOL Google accelerometer and gyroscope in drones and enjoy the read  In quick terminology the gyroscope uses Earth’s gravity to sense orientation and the accelerometer assesses linear acceleration based on non-gravitational forces, namely vibration. Ultimately, the speed and rotation and position of the drone which aligns to the compass and the drones velocity. With a reading of 0.00001, a green compass reading and a home point on your may you have nothing to worry about LOL

οκ thanks,
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

C_Young Posted at 1-17 01:04
It would be interesting to read this essay. I would like to know how the accelerometer and gyroscope work, but I want to learn more about technical indicators from experts. Are you ready to write such a study?

Not really as my knowledge in this area is somewhat limited. There are many credible sources on the net to research.
2019-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

C_Young Posted at 1-18 01:02
Oh, I was thinking you are a researcher in this niche. I am looking for some statistics about using accelerometers in vehicles. I ordered essays about drone usage in industries on https://edubirdie.com/research-papers-writing-services. They have good researches and amount of sources, but I need more. I saw you mentioned the one essay and I thought you are a professional. Sorry for a disturbance.

Hahaha - nah, I'm a Bank Manager
2019-1-18
Use props
NathanSimpk
New

United States

Several variants can be added here with the help of following.
2019-5-1
Use props
harvey specter
New

India

Visit Now!
2021-11-9
Use props
Assignmenthelp
New

United Kingdom

Hi how are you all expert essays