Filming off of a Helipad?
786 2 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

Hi, I have a shoot next week filming off of a helipad on top of a tall building.

I did a test filming of the Helipad yesterday with some mixed results-

- The inspire compass setting went to about 1750 but was showing "Safe to Fly"
I was not brave enough to try a compass calibration (standing on a metal helipad)

- Hovering the inspire in GPS node it was not smooth at all.. It was staying in a the designated area but very rapid small correction of up to about 1 foot (30 cm) on all axis
As soon as I got about 3-4 meters high it seemed to calm down

- When I was pulling away to do the reveal shot the Inspire would not pull straight back it would skew off a few degrees

When I was back on the ground I checked the compass settings again and they were about 1500 and it hovered very smoothly.

I have tuned down my gains but I am thinking this is giving the Inspire too much "play".

Any recommendation when doing the shot next week?

Cheers                                       
2015-4-23
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

i always like to do a compass calibration onsite. i understand your concern about the helipad being all metal, however you might be able to do it close by to it, and then power down and take it to the Helipad afterwards. Needless to say make sure your IMU is well calibrated. If you have time and if available you migt want to go there and do some "dry runs" of the intented shots and see how the bird reacts. Whatch for the K index the day of shooting and happy flying..
2015-4-24
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

Thanks for the recommendations.
Already did a dry run, my observations are in the above post.

Cheers
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 1.47.36 PM.jpg
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules