Why Does OTG Increase Range
11698 52 2018-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-14 01:20
Thanks that will let readers see the complete picture. I should not have tried to oversimplify things.

Can you confirm your experience with Android and the timing of the OTG connection?  

Apple does not respect de facto connectivity standards (USB) and comes with proprietary solution. I wonder what could go wrong there...

Yes, Spark's RC and Android device will work as I described.
I see  some people use two cables.... one regular micro-usb to usb-a and another otg one connected to first one. I also see some of them, because they don't understand that shortened Sense (ID) pin, think it's the same thing to connect regular to device, then otg to RC and then as last thing connect them at USB-A place. That's wrong!!! Sense to Ground already happened, RC sensing was triggered and it sees nothing on the other side. So, last connection done MUST be micro-usb of OTG into RC. On other side must be already turned on device and ran app.
2018-2-14
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-14 11:09
Apple does not respect de facto connectivity standards (USB) and comes with proprietary solution. I wonder what could go wrong there...  

Thanks I will give that a try.
2018-2-14
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-14 11:09

Thanks I will give that a try.
2018-2-14
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30794 ft
United States

Curious to know is the WiFi channel setting in app used for controller (RC or virtual) to Spark, and not for video feed alone.  Thought I saw an "HD" icon in a past version of the app that implied it dealt with the video feed, not the control (virtual or RC) signal.  Past version of app used to say "video streaming" too, I think.  Now it says "wifi settings."  I used to think this was control signal, not video between RC and remote, but not sure.
2018-2-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi everyone, very nice insights. Still, this function is not recommended yet and may give you app errors such as error in telemetry. Please make sure that smart device is connected to the Spark RC's via the WiFi connection.
2018-2-15
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-2-15 19:04
Hi everyone, very nice insights. Still, this function is not recommended yet and may give you app errors such as error in telemetry. Please make sure that smart device is connected to the Spark RC's via the WiFi connection.

That is interesting given the Mavic and Air both come with cables.  Can you explain why it is not supported officially, yet appears to work?  I would think that a direct connection would be reliable and cutting down on interference would help.

Diana - hoping you can answer my question, then.  Is the wifi channel setting in the app for the signal between the RC and Spark, or between the RC and smart device?
2018-2-15
Use props
midwest Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21841 ft
United States

In scanning down all the posts I don't think anyone has said what I think is the reason the OTG cable connected to a controller extends the range of the spark. Wi-Fi from anyone's phone is limited in range. The "Wi-Fi" that is broadcast from a DJI controller is a proprietary custom signal that has a much longer range than any frequency of a standard phone/tablet Wi-Fi. When you connect your phone to the controller with the OTG cable the phone is no longer connected to the drone. It is only connected to the controller and the controller is connected to the spark with a more powerful longer range signal.  Video and control both now have longer range.  All Wi-Fi is not equal.
2018-2-19
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
United States

midwest Mike Posted at 2018-2-19 19:25
In scanning down all the posts I don't think anyone has said what I think is the reason the OTG cable connected to a controller extends the range of the spark. Wi-Fi from anyone's phone is limited in range. The "Wi-Fi" that is broadcast from a DJI controller is a proprietary custom signal that has a much longer range than any frequency of a standard phone/tablet Wi-Fi. When you connect your phone to the controller with the OTG cable the phone is no longer connected to the drone. It is only connected to the controller and the controller is connected to the spark with a more powerful longer range signal.  Video and control both now have longer range.  All Wi-Fi is not equal.

My understanding was that phone does not connect to spark at all in this scenario. Video is fed to phone via RC.
2018-2-20
Use props
Matt Wicks
New

United Kingdom

After a month of trying to get my spark to work the way I want it too here is some bullet points.

• Android is useless from one update to the other you need iPhone 6 minimum. Don’t like apple but it just works a dream

• use otg (apple)

• fly under FCC not CE

Those 3 combined you will never really need to post a picture problem...in my opinion
2018-8-23
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Matt Wicks Posted at 2018-8-23 07:29
After a month of trying to get my spark to work the way I want it too here is some bullet points.

• Android is useless from one update to the other you need iPhone 6 minimum. Don’t like apple but it just works a dream

Hi Matt,

Point 2 and 3: agreed.
Point 1: it depends. There are so many Android flavours out there. My rather old Galaxy S4 mini for instance works nicely with OTG. I use it with Android 7.1 (LineageOS). Video lag is about half a second. Way better than that Wifi connection crap. But YMMV.
Since iOS is only controlled by Apple itself, there are not as many device variants out there. That makes it easier of course.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-24
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

*Where's the POPCORN"*
2018-8-24
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-2-15 19:04

Hello Diana, any news about the use of OTG in iOS? It really works very well. I do not understand what the problem is, why so much delay in DJI certification to be able to use it.
2018-8-24
Use props
JohnRaggio
lvl.2
United States

Totally old thread, but figured better than starting a new one for follow-up.  

I dug out my Spark the other day and am doing some tests with an OTG cable.  I know that topic has been beaten to death, but the current firmware and DJO Go app seem to support it fine.  Is that accurate?
My other question is related to the configuration that does not use the OTG: AC connects to RC over wifi and RC connects to phone over different wifi freq.  (5.8 vs 2.4?).  In this standard scenario how is the app supposed to get an internet connection for map data and other info?  

Looks like with OTG I can still have internet for phone, though many of the OTG tutorials suggest putting phone into airplane mode which means no internet again.

In short, what is the current recommended connection for Spark considering the above?

Thanks.
2020-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules