I fixed the iMovie / Spark "Jittery" Video issue ! (when panning)
12855 30 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Hi Guys

Feeling proud of myself, had to share this because it was causing me no end of frustration

Every time I edited my Spark footage with iMovie, any panning or motion shots would be jittery.  Really ruined the smooth cinematic motion of the video.  

The problem seems to be that iMovie cannot correctly identify what frame rate the DJI Video image is using.  

So to fix the issue, you need to use import a 30fps 1080p first to set the correct "mode".  After that, you proceed as normal.

Here is a link to the sample image I downloaded.

http://all-free-download.com/free-footage/merlot_grape_145.html

Process as follows:

1) Create a new project
2) Import the 30fps sample file first.  (MUST BE FIRST)3) Add the sample to the start of the timeline
3) Then import your Spark video files.
4) Add your spark video to your timeline, but trim a few seconds off from the beginning.  *** THIS IS IMPORTANT.  Do not just drag the whole clip into your timeline ***
5) You can delete the 30fps Sample file now

VOILA ! Fixed.

Here is a link to a test I did after applying this fix.

Hope this helps !!

Full Disclosure...I didn't discover this fix myself, I worked it out based on various other fixes I googled

2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info
2018-1-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very interesting and great tip.
They should make this a sticky post I guess
Amazing how simple a solution for something this annoying can be.
Thanks a lot.

Subscribed to your channel
I have one channel that I would like to get 1000 subscribers (because of the new Youtube rules)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvJGfq16FGXekfaqQ2DhoWQ
(there will be drone video's here when I re purchase my Mavic)
If you want, please subscribe too.

2018-1-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

The iMovie export will be in 30fps with that procedure.  Not a problem for me, as I have switched all my cameras to 30fps anyway.  I don't mind that it looks overly real.  My use is simple.  

Some people want iMovie exported to 24 or 25fps so they can look like George Lucas on his best artistic days.
2018-1-21
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Thanks for your discovery
2018-1-21
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-21 13:29
The iMovie export will be in 30fps with that procedure.  Not a problem for me, as I have switched all my cameras to 30fps anyway.  I don't mind that it looks overly real.  My use is simple.  

Some people want iMovie exported to 24 or 25fps so they can look like George Lucas on his best artistic days.

Cool!! I will try.  Great tip.
2018-1-21
Use props
Djr01974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 175364 ft
United States

Will this work only on the Mac. iMovie on my iPad has no FPS setting
2018-1-21
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Djr01974 Posted at 2018-1-21 16:13
Will this work only on the Mac. iMovie on my iPad has no FPS setting

i don't know.  There is no FPS setting in imovie either (that I could find).  To test it you'd need to get the 30fps 1080p file on your ipad first.   

I would be surprised if this worked, but it's worth trying
2018-1-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-21 16:35
i don't know.  There is no FPS setting in imovie either (that I could find).  To test it you'd need to get the 30fps 1080p file on your ipad first.   

I would be surprised if this worked, but it's worth trying

As far as I can tell, the frame rate is set by the first clip in the video.  So if you start with a 24fps clip you get a 24fps clip out even with 30fps Spark clips or 25fps European clips inserted in the middle or end.  I haven't found a manual setting for it.  
2018-1-21
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-21 19:16
As far as I can tell, the frame rate is set by the first clip in the video.  So if you start with a 24fps clip you get a 24fps clip out even with 30fps Spark clips or 25fps European clips inserted in the middle or end.  I haven't found a manual setting for it.

Yes, I think that's correct for a Mac, but not sure if that's true for the iPad.

I also think it's set by the first video you import, not the first video you add to your timeline.

I might do some more testing tonight to confirm
2018-1-21
Use props
DroneManDan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67257 ft
United States

thanks so much for this! I just noticed this issue in my most recent video...
2018-1-21
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

DroneManDan Posted at 2018-1-21 21:45
thanks so much for this! I just noticed this issue in my most recent video...

And once you first notice it, it becomes more unbearable each time you watch it.  LOL
2018-1-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for sharing this. You did a great job!
2018-1-22
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Thank you for this! Iwill soon give it a try, sun has arrived again
2018-1-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I just trim a section off the clip before adding to the timeline, does the same thing, but less steps involved. No need to add in extra files.
This has been a common fix on the forum for quite a while now.
2018-1-22
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

jksphoto Posted at 2018-1-22 05:53
I just trim a section off the clip before adding to the timeline, does the same thing, but less steps involved. No need to add in extra files.
This has been a common fix on the forum for quite a while now.

I read about that and tried it, but it didn’t work.  Tried it many times of times, including last night.   Not sure why.

My workflow is always to add only a portion of the clip. I never add the whole clip to the timeline

Another mate of mine had the same issue and tried the trim fix and it didn’t work for him either

The process I added above seems to work every time.   Can’t explain why

2018-1-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-22 12:32
I read about that and tried it, but it didn’t work.  Tried it many times of times, including last night.   Not sure why.

My workflow is always to add only a portion of the clip. I never add the whole clip to the timeline

That’s odd that it doesn’t work. That’s my workflow for iMovie now. Been great so far. I guess what ever works gives the best results.
2018-1-22
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

jksphoto Posted at 2018-1-22 12:52
That’s odd that it doesn’t work. That’s my workflow for iMovie now. Been great so far. I guess what ever works gives the best results.

I did some more testing and found that for me, on my mac, I need to import the 30fps sample file AS WELL AS trimming the first few seconds of the cliip.  Doing just one of them isn't always enough

I've updated the original instructions accordingly.
2018-1-27
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-27 15:39
I did some more testing and found that for me, on my mac, I need to import the 30fps sample file AS WELL AS trimming the first few seconds of the cliip.  Doing just one of them isn't always enough

I've updated the original instructions accordingly.

Ah ok. That’s interesting. I normally just import each clip. Trim them down a touch then drag them onto the timeline.

Out of interest, have you tried skipping the 30fps file ?
2018-1-28
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

jksphoto Posted at 2018-1-28 12:37
Ah ok. That’s interesting. I normally just import each clip. Trim them down a touch then drag them onto the timeline.

Out of interest, have you tried skipping the 30fps file ?

Yes.  Many many times.  Didn’t work.  Friend also tried it, and didn’t work.

Unusual how it works for some and not others.
2018-1-28
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

thank you! will try soon!
2019-2-24
Use props
weseli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38402 ft

Serbia

Great. Thank you
2019-2-24
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

A liitle bit tricky. Adobe Premiere Pro goes more easily this way.
2019-2-24
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Ukraine

2019-2-24
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-24 11:41

Yes, this is particular to iMovie I think.  But there is a big difference to cost of iMovie vs Adobe Premiere Pro.
2019-2-24
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Ukraine

Cookster670 Posted at 2-24 12:06
Yes, this is particular to iMovie I think.  But there is a big difference to cost of iMovie vs Adobe Premiere Pro.

This way one can try DaVinci Resolve. It's for free.
2019-2-24
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-24 12:38
This way one can try DaVinci Resolve. It's for free.

I have heard good things about Davinci Resolve.  But i’m happy with iMovie.  There are some extra steps, but it only takes a few seconds.   One day I may upgrade to Premiere, but don’t see the need for now.
2019-2-24
Use props
jprnt
New

France

congratulations Cookster670! this issue was a real nightmare for me. I only realized that video output was horrible after having completed the whole project!!! days of work....
thanx!
2019-11-26
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

jprnt Posted at 11-26 03:29
congratulations Cookster670! this issue was a real nightmare for me. I only realized that video output was horrible after having completed the whole project!!! days of work....
thanx!

No worries.   That happened to me as well.  Spending hours on making a video, only to find it jittery.  And you can’t fix it afterwards, you have to start again!

I just bought a mini and found I didn’t need to apply this fix (for 2.7k 30fps video)
2019-11-26
Use props
indraabhi
New

India

thanks i downloaded video is not edit on my pc
2019-11-27
Use props
AlisaJ21
lvl.2

India

indraabhi Posted at 2019-11-27 05:41
[view_image]thanks i downloaded video is not edit on my pc

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by offering never iMovie for iPhone a direct way to change the text itself that displays the duration on your video project. However, you can control the duration of the text overlay in two ways:-
1. Full Clip Duration:- This is the simplest method.  When you add text to a clip, by default, the text stays on the screen for the entire duration of the video clip. There's a toggle option for this:-
  -Add your text to the video clip.
  -In the inspector at the bottom of the screen, tap the three-dot menu (...) next to the "Titles" button.
  -Look for the option "Full Clip Duration" and toggle it on/off. If it's on, the text will stay for the entire clip. If it's off, you can adjust the duration manually (explained in method 2).

2. Adjusting Text Overlay Duration:-
  -After adding text, tap on the text clip in the timeline.
  -The yellow bars on the timeline represent the duration of the clip with the text overlay.
  -Drag the yellow handles at the beginning and end of the bar to shorten or lengthen how long the text appears on the screen.
Follow for more details instruction below.
3-20 01:14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules