Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Picture quality
1173 22 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse99adacf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1717133 ft
  • >>>
United States

i know the p4p has a great camera for still shots but how is the quality if you take a clip from a video to make a still shot?
2018-1-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

4K?

RedHotPoker
2018-1-21
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Sure or even 1080p
2018-1-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Perhaps I could ask why? The camera takes superb still shots, but there are a lot of photographic compromises when you extract a still from moving footage. The first and most obvious one is that the compression that is applied to a moving image is nowhere near as effective as compression that produces a JPEG image. PLus there may be blurring in the image due to a slower shutter speed or camera movement.
2018-1-21
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Just curious. Just wondering if I saw a great frame in a video how it would come out as a still photo.
2018-1-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrJayd Posted at 2018-1-21 14:07
Just curious. Just wondering if I saw a great frame in a video how it would come out as a still photo.

Geoff has already wisely suggested above, it depends on the movement of the front element.
As well all the factors that go into great photos, why not just use the camera still pic mode?

RedHotPoker

2018-1-21
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-21 14:20
Geoff has already wisely suggested above, it depends on the movement of the front element.
As well all the factors that go into great photos, why not just use the camera still pic mode?

Read my post above please. I said I was just wondering that if I saw a frame in a video if the quality would be good enough to make a good photo out of it.
2018-1-21
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-21 14:20
Geoff has already wisely suggested above, it depends on the movement of the front element.

Read my post above please. I said I was just wondering that if I saw a frame in a video if the quality would be good enough to make a good photo out of it.
2018-1-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrJayd Posted at 2018-1-21 14:30

The key word there is good. Yes, it could or would be fantastic.  It depends, and remains to be seen.

Perhaps you are expecting more, thinking 4K is great video, so it must also be good for still pics.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MrJayd Posted at 2018-1-21 14:30

How about you try it and see if the results fit your idea of "good enough"
2018-1-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-21 15:19

Yup, eye of the beholder, or he who holds the micro sd card, in this case. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-21
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-21 15:19

I plan to. Just thought I would ask people here on the forum if they have tried it.
2018-1-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The quality achievable from a Ultra 4K video is very good. That's how I tend to get my photos, as from a video stream I can pick the specific frame I want. The comments made by others here are relevant (take care with fast movement, etc), and it would depend on how the image will be used (not photo publication quality, but fine for home photos), but a frame from a slow pan is more than acceptable.

My panoramas are created using Microsoft ICE, whereas if I'm just after a frame I use another free app (I don't recall right now its name). I post-edit all photos in Lightroom.
2018-1-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, P4P supports to take pictures in videos. You can capture the nice moments during the recording as well.
PIV.png
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MrJayd Posted at 2018-1-21 14:07

Why would you want to extract a still from something that was not intended for that use?
With video you typically want some motion blur to please the eye.
Stills usually don't want that.
Better to make use of the full potential of the P4P / P4A and shoot a still.
2018-1-22
Use props
MrJayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-22 00:40
Why would you want to extract a still from something that was not intended for that use?
With video you typically want some motion blur to please the eye.
Stills usually don't want that.

What part of “just wondering if I saw a great frame in a video how it would come out as a still” don’t you people understand? I would not take videos just to get stills. I know it has a great camera for that.
2018-1-22
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Obviously the quality of the photo extracted from a video (especially while in motion) would be worse than a still JPEG photo. If your shooting in 4k and have little movement out of the clip your trying to extract, then the photo will look pretty good. I just recommend shooting a picture if thats what you want!
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MrJayd Posted at 2018-1-22 18:50
What part of “just wondering if I saw a great frame in a video how it would come out as a still” don’t you people understand? I would not take videos just to get stills. I know it has a great camera for that.

If I need that, I will make a printscreen from my monitor.
Works fine for me.
2018-1-22
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-22 23:23
If I need that, I will make a printscreen from my monitor.
Works fine for me.

Best result is achieved if using a 4K monitor and watching fullscreen i suppose?
2018-1-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-23 02:17
Best result is achieved if using a 4K monitor and watching fullscreen i suppose?

So far I do not shoot 4K, so I don't need that. But if I will: yes for sure.
Otherwise some video editors have a frame capture option I believe.
I only need this when I want to change the thumbnail for youtube and therefor I use printscreens.
2018-1-23
Use props
Marcy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1229938 ft
Canada

Printed some stills from video 1080 on my p4 pretty good. People I gave piture of their houses to thought they were great
2018-2-10
Use props
ROKI
lvl.3

Croatia

How to zoom the camera on phantom 4 pro ?

2018-2-15
Use props
AndrewCCM
New
Flight distance : 4738 ft
United States

I believe a frame captured from 4k video is around 9 megapixel.  So you're compromising size of image for sure.  This may or may not be an issue for you depending on your output medium (what is your intended purpose).   More importantly, many people shoot video at low shutter speeds to "get that cinematic look".  This will more than likely give you poor quality stills.   If you think you may be using the video footage for stills, I'd recommend bumping your shutter speed up to freeze the motion blur.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules