Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crystalsky Ultra - backlight failures
123Next >
11175 92 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just wanted to create a thread to bring to the notice of DJI,  the number of increasing blacklight failures on the the Crystalsky Ultra.These have been recorded not only here but on other forums as well.

It seems that the failures are occuring either immediately on start up or about 1 hr into a flight session when the CS heats up.
Some units are overheating very quickly.

I have stopped using the Ultra for fear that the current version of the DJI Go4 app (4.1.18) is the reason for the cpu/gpu overload.

If you have had a failure can you please make a post here and then we can refer it to the engineers via the DJI moderators.

If you could add a date for the failure, we might be able to link it back to a particular upgrade event.

2018-1-21
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oh no.... but oh yes.!!!!
Black light gone again for the 2nd time on my CS Ultra today.
Last August I had the BL go in the 5.5.
The CS this time had around I’d say about 5 hours on it.
It felt hot after I landed.
I don’t know if I got a warning about the heating as I was flying home on the sticks. I just was changing the battery and went to fly back out and the BL was toast.
I was at the Gold Coast in Australia at about 11am, the temp was about 30c.
I was flying most of the time with the CS in the shade.
I contacted DJI in Australia the were very sorry and thye are sending me an express post return label.
They said they will change it over very fast.
I asked them about the previous Backlight return in early January. They said they replaced the LCD unit.
That’s sounds correct as the case was my original unit but the screen looked new.
2018-1-21
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Forestjim Posted at 2018-1-21 20:32
Oh no.... but oh yes.!!!!
Black light gone again for the 2nd time on my CS Ultra today.
Last August I had the BL go in the 5.5.

Wow Jim, you have had some bad luck with these units, didn't realise you also had a earlier 5.5 failure.
This is the first time I've heard of a 5.5 failing, so it looks like a design issue as opposed to QC or hardware.
2018-1-21
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

These are the failure posts I have collected so far

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/crystalsky-screen-blank.21637/

https://forum.dji.com/thread-129829-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128879-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-125365-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0365&fromuid=920936

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1755&fromuid=920936

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0121&fromuid=920936

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... /page-6#post-383781

https://forum.dji.com/thread-131936-1-1.html

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... 29366/#post-1321892

https://forum.dji.com/thread-127843-1-1.html

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... ting-issues.129842/

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... heat-warning.32312/

2018-1-21
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm a little upset that I bought my CS in the winter because I am not using all that much and it's just sitting around using up valuable warranty time.
2018-1-22
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 03:11
I'm a little upset that I bought my CS in the winter because I am not using all that much and it's just sitting around using up valuable warranty time.

I don’t think they like the heat.
Having said that the backlight did fail in my 5.5 in an Aussie winter.
Looks like to me it could be an Ultra thing at the moment.
I usually only turn the brightness up to about 30% in the shade & 50% in the sun.
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Forestjim Posted at 2018-1-22 03:28
I don’t think they like the heat.
Having said that the backlight did fail in my 5.5 in an Aussie winter.
Looks like to me it could be an Ultra thing at the moment.

Yes I have the UB.  I ran an indoor test last week with the CS connected to my AC and left it on at high brightness for 30+ minutes at room temp.  I took IR thermo readings and the hottest it got by the HDMI port was 117 F.
2018-1-22
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 04:05
Yes I have the UB.  I ran an indoor test last week with the CS connected to my AC and left it on at high brightness for 30+ minutes at room temp.  I took IR thermo readings and the hottest it got by the HDMI port was 117 F.

This is not good
2018-1-23
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I should have also mentioned that mine hasn't had any issues...yet
2018-1-23
Use props
sitka_rn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3107 ft
United States

I ordered an UB in Aug and unit shipped mid-Nov from Adorama.  Had no problems with a few flights P4P and 1 flight with Mavic Pro after using UB for set-up and firmware updates. Put freshly charged battery in this AM ... after 15 mins incredibly hot and screen began to flash/flicker.   Tried to power off with button but no go so pulled battery.  Let sit for 8 hours... re-charged battery 100%. Screen completely black get small vibration with 1st push power button.. no beep  For almost $900... VERY unhappy.. and no one to call during weekend.
2018-2-10
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

sitka_rn Posted at 2018-2-10 19:58
I ordered an UB in Aug and unit shipped mid-Nov from Adorama.  Had no problems with a few flights P4P and 1 flight with Mavic Pro after using UB for set-up and firmware updates. Put freshly charged battery in this AM ... after 15 mins incredibly hot and screen began to flash/flicker.   Tried to power off with button but no go so pulled battery.  Let sit for 8 hours... re-charged battery 100%. Screen completely black get small vibration with 1st push power button.. no beep  For almost $900... VERY unhappy.. and no one to call during weekend.

I’m sorry to say your backlight has fried.

Your problem is the same as I’ve had 3 times.

You say you can hear tones. In the dark get a torch and shine in on the screen.

You should be able to see the home screen.

Make arrangements to return your.CS as it’s toast.

The recent update a couple of days ago, fingers crossed looks promising it has fixed the problem of over hearting.
2018-2-10
Use props
fans2ee5f604
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412274 ft
Hong Kong

Backlight failure happened to me at my maiden flight with the ultra! I bought it a week ago.  Very disappointing on the QC of Crystalsky, it doesn't look like a product from DJI!!!!!!
2018-2-11
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

fans2ee5f604 Posted at 2018-2-11 16:53
Backlight failure happened to me at my maiden flight with the ultra! I bought it a week ago.  Very disappointing on the QC of Crystalsky, it doesn't look like a product from DJI!!!!!!

Yes, not good at all.
All my backlight fails happened during the first battery of the day.
I think there was a bug in DJI Go4 causing the CS to overheat & I don't think the fans were coming on to cool it down.
2018-2-11
Use props
fans2ee5f604
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412274 ft
Hong Kong

Forestjim Posted at 2018-2-11 17:09
Yes, not good at all.
All my backlight fails happened during the first battery of the day.
I think there was a bug in DJI Go4 causing the CS to overheat & I don't think the fans were coming on to cool it down.

I was updating the Crystalsky with the CS turned on. It went completely dark after my Mavic  Pro  took off. I was luck that my Mavic was on my line of sight so I can steer it back and landed safely.

Very disappointing and frustrating., I have a 5.5 CS which I have used for months and gave me no problems.

If Ultra has problems then DJI should not sell it!!!!!!!
2018-2-11
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

Has anyone repeated their tests on the new firmware release to see if temps are more acceptable and the fans are coming on as expected.

I'm hopeful that the back light failures are due to overheating and that if the new firmware better controls internal temperatures then it may prevent back light failures.

I haven't used my UB since all the back light issues started to occur as it is difficult to get repair/warranty services in the country I am based in.
2018-2-11
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

dan_vector Posted at 2018-2-11 21:38
Has anyone repeated their tests on the new firmware release to see if temps are more acceptable and the fans are coming on as expected.

I'm hopeful that the back light failures are due to overheating and that if the new firmware better controls internal temperatures then it may prevent back light failures.

I flew 2hours in direct sun yesterday with my P4P & CS ULTRA.
And the monitor was very Fluid, no App crash, and no Overheating (for information, before firmware upgrade, I get overheating issue after only 18min flight)

So yes, I can say I'm happy
2018-2-11
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-2-11 21:49
I flew 2hours in direct sun yesterday with my P4P & CS ULTRA.
And the monitor was very Fluid, no App crash, and no Overheating (for information, before firmware upgrade, I get overheating issue after only 18min flight)

Good news!! I updated my unit last night so I'll chance it later. We shall see! Thanks for the feedback
2018-2-12
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dan_vector Posted at 2018-2-12 00:11
Good news!! I updated my unit last night so I'll chance it later. We shall see! Thanks for the feedback

I've tested the Crystalsky Ultra with DJI Go 4.2.4 for 1.5 hours continously on full brightness and with the latest firmware for the AC, 3 full flights with the MPP and MA, ambient temp 23c and there wasn't a single glitch in the monitor, this was 4k 24fps, with caching back to the CS at 7gb

The hottest the Ultra panel got on max brightness was 41.5c , the side ports got to 38.6c and the back panel near the ports to 40c.

The CS fan never came on at all during the 1.5hrs and the temp was pretty consistent from about 15min from start up to the end. I'm not sure what the normal operating temperatures are for the CS Ultra, so the fan not comming on might be an issue, funny thing to note was the RC fan was humming away after 30mins and that has never come on before in longer flight sessions

DJI Go 4 4.2.4 worked flawlessly, there was no latency or pixelation at anytime in RC signal out or HD signal back, mind you I was using a Titan Cyclone 2.4ghz amplified panel.

I think they may have fixed the overheating problem for now, my CS build date it the 15/10/17 for reference, a couple of us who have this build date have CS Ultra's that get hot but have never failed.
Interesting to see how the other CS Ultra owners are fairing with the need firmware and 4.2.4
2018-2-12
Use props
Pauxier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still waiting on weather here
2018-2-12
Use props
Kune
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2773465 ft
  • >>>
Spain

To be honest I was about to buy the crystalsky but reading all the negative comments I am unsure about it.....

Could you please tell me if you were me, ....  should I buy it? I was thinking on the small one 5.5".    Is this size having issues as well?
Which one is having the issues? All of them? or only the Ulta (the most expensive one) ot the high Brightness 7.85" or 5.5"?
2018-2-12
Use props
sitka_rn
lvl.1
United States

Forestjim Posted at 2018-2-10 20:39
I’m sorry to say your backlight has fried.

Your problem is the same as I’ve had 3 times.

With a very bright light sitting flat against screen... I get a small DJI flash sceen then hits Main screen and shuts down with 3 beeps on own.. have asked for warranty help from DJI.. unit < 90 days old
2018-2-12
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

sitka_rn Posted at 2018-2-12 10:34
With a very bright light sitting flat against screen... I get a small DJI flash sceen then hits Main screen and shuts down with 3 beeps on own.. have asked for warranty help from DJI.. unit < 90 days old

Ok... your test has confirmed Backlight fail.
Good luck.. I hope you are back in the sky soon.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansee00f5cc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 221414 ft
Australia

Bought my ultra Nov last year, worked on full brightness until yesterday. Went black, backlight failed, fortunately it was at the end of a long flight and overhead. Quick response from DJI, hope they can fix it for good.
2018-3-6
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansee00f5cc Posted at 2018-3-6 12:39
Bought my ultra Nov last year, worked on full brightness until yesterday. Went black, backlight failed, fortunately it was at the end of a long flight and overhead. Quick response from DJI, hope they can fix it for good.

Disappoining, unfortunately that is the problem with the Ultra they can work perfectly for a long time and then fail at anytime.

I think the 2000 nits is too far a stretch until they have solved the heating problem, how long were you using it on full brightness for ?

Unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before they all fail

2018-3-6
Use props
sitka_rn
lvl.1
United States

My crystal ultra arrived at DJI California Feb 26th...  Today is Mar 7th... no word from DJI support... no response as to whether I will get a new device or repair. I do not want someone else's refurbished product for a device less than 90 days old... What have others experienced in terms of turn around time and replacement new vs replacement refurbished?
2018-3-7
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

On my first CS, the compass was not working, the device was crashing in flight after few seconds, the FPS rate was very low with DJIGo
I got as replacement a refurbished one: the compass is not working, it doesn't crash in flight, the FPS rate is the same as the first one
2018-3-7
Use props
fansee00f5cc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 221414 ft
Australia

Although I was disappointed that the Ultra bright 7.8" crystal sky backlight failed in the middle of a flight after only3 months use I was pleased with just how quickly DJI responded to my emails and sent me a return post paid mailing label to return the unit to DJI Australia. Fingers crossed for a quick repair/replacement. I guess I will go back to the Airpad 2 for a while.
2018-3-8
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

lannes Posted at 2018-3-6 13:03
Disappoining, unfortunately that is the problem with the Ultra they can work perfectly for a long time and then fail at anytime.

I think the 2000 nits is too far a stretch until they have solved the heating problem, how long were you using it on full brightness for ?

Hi guys,

Could you check if Overexposure Warning (in camera setting) works well with your ULTRA Crystalsky please?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1242317
2018-3-8
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-8 04:12
Hi guys,

Could you check if Overexposure Warning (in camera setting) works well with your ULTRA Crystalsky please?

mavi ac settings cs - Copy.jpg
2018-3-8
Use props
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>

i just got one today and BANG  within 5 mins it stopped working
2018-4-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-4-4 18:42
i just got one today and BANG  within 5 mins it stopped working

That's bad luck, was there any contributing circumstances or did you just turn it on and it failed ?
2018-4-5
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

My CS UB worked 4 minutes... Got hot and Black.
Fan did 1st turn on after screen died.
How do one get these replaced or refunded?
Paid 1300$ and it worked (kind of) ONLY 1 single time....
2018-4-15
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Samahita Posted at 2018-4-15 23:31
My CS UB worked 4 minutes... Got hot and Black.
Fan did 1st turn on after screen died.
How do one get these replaced or refunded?

Where did you get your CS UB from, probably reach out to your seller if you want a refund and DJI if you want a repair
2018-4-16
Use props
*rbh-andy*
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7489642 ft
  • >>>

Three Days ago my Ultra Backlight blacked out also. We where flying in sunny weather around 18c, there were now sun rays shining on the display.
My CamOp got a hot temperature warning, shortly before the black out. There was no opportunity to land. In total the Crystalsky wasn‘t hot!
Now I have to handle with DJI Service Center in China, because I brought the display there, dam!
2018-5-2
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

*rbh-andy* Posted at 2018-5-2 14:32
Three Days ago my Ultra Backlight blacked out also. We where flying in sunny weather around 18c, there were now sun rays shining on the display.
My CamOp got a hot temperature warning, shortly before the black out. There was no opportunity to land. In total the Crystalsky wasn‘t hot!
Now I have to handle with DJI Service Center in China, because I brought the display there, dam!

Unfortunately, welcome to the club.
Can you tell me what version of firmware you were using?

I'm trying to work out why these things are still failing.

The last update was 12th April

2018-5-2
Use props
barry1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193947 ft
  • >>>

I just used my month old Crystal Sky Ultra and the backlight failed on me today. Right in the middle of my flight.
2018-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Forestjim Posted at 2018-5-2 16:12
Unfortunately, welcome to the club.
Can you tell me what version of firmware you were using?

I'm trying to work out why these things are still failing.

The following might be of interst to you.  

How to turn on Debugging on CrystalSky.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=143740&pid=1332183&fromuid=1516520

Along with information on firmware being run on my CS-Ub.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 301&fromuid=1516520
2018-5-2
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Update:
The screens are back in the dji store today.

The larger screen units are not available in the store anymore world wide.
Not out of stock, they are completely gone.
So my guess is they will sell a complete new unit in the future . The question is what will happen with our remaining units that might fail soon.
2018-5-3
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
  • >>>

Coyut Posted at 2018-5-3 00:35
Update:
The screens are back in the dji store today.

That’s strange. The Ultra are showing in stock on their website
https://m.dji.com/product/crystalsky
2018-5-3
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

As written as a update in my last post
2018-5-3
Use props