Tips for flying on water
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Piermarco Arata
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78376 ft
Italy

Hi,
I would like to know tips for flying on water. I heard that is better to switch off the vision positioning system,but I don”t understand why .
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Marco
2018-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you fly close enough to the water where the vps sees it then it can cause erratic flying because the surface moving, if it did it i would turn it off just to eliminate any possible issue, thats just me though, if you are sufficiently high enough where the vps does not see it then it should be 100% fine to leave it on.
2018-1-22
Use props
Piermarco Arata
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78376 ft
Italy

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-22 02:38
If you fly close enough to the water where the vps sees it then it can cause erratic flying because the surface moving, if it did it i would turn it off just to eliminate any possible issue, thats just me though, if you are sufficiently high enough where the vps does not see it then it should be 100% fine to leave it on.

Ok ,Thank you Bashy
2018-1-22
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I leave my on.  Have tons of hours flying over water.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's down to how close you get to the water,
2018-1-22
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I've gotten as close as 11 feet on a couple of occasions but didn't happen right away it took me some time to break through the fear..lol  

Typically now fly through around 20-30 feet depending on the shots I'm taking.
2018-1-22
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oh yeah that's with no waves of course - to risky if flying too low with waves.
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey there, the VPS and barometer may not work well if you fly closely the water body. To ensure the safety, it is recommended to fly more than 10 meters above the water.
2018-1-26
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-22 02:38
If you fly close enough to the water where the vps sees it then it can cause erratic flying because the surface moving, if it did it i would turn it off just to eliminate any possible issue, thats just me though, if you are sufficiently high enough where the vps does not see it then it should be 100% fine to leave it on.

that explains  why it gets lively at 4ft and i just thought i was having a bad day you learn something new every day
2018-1-26
Use props
Phantom Rebel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

I flew 3 foot over running water with less than 20 mins experience. I am a rebel, literally.
2018-1-26
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Phantom Rebel Posted at 2018-1-26 10:46
I flew 3 foot over running water with less than 20 mins experience. I am a rebel, literally.

Heh... DJI quads like dropping out of the sky for no reason. At least if you're not above water and it falls, you can send it back to DJI.
2018-1-26
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-1-29 14:29
https://vimeo.com/238206059
We skim the lake at least once a week, jumping waves and it we do not need to turn off anything,    drones skims the water and flys through the wash of the waves just fine , never had any erratic flying as you can see from the video below.     Dont go through the waves like this if you not have the Phantom Wet Suit but you can still see zero issues with the water , and have tons of footage on are vimeo site.   phantomrain.org  
Its all about having a good firmware running on the drone.

what is a phantom wetsuit?
2018-2-5
Use props
fans5bc86a63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87749 ft
Sweden

DarkZero Posted at 2018-2-5 02:16

Wetsuit for DJI Phantom 4
2018-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarkZero Posted at 2018-2-5 02:16

Well by definition a wet suit gets wet and retains body heat through a thin layer of water trapped between suit and skin.

The phantoms are not waterproof devices.
2018-2-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-1-29 14:29
https://vimeo.com/238206059
We skim the lake at least once a week, jumping waves and it we do not need to turn off anything,    drones skims the water and flys through the wash of the waves just fine , never had any erratic flying as you can see from the video below.     Dont go through the waves like this if you not have the Phantom Wet Suit but you can still see zero issues with the water , and have tons of footage on are vimeo site.   phantomrain.org  
Its all about having a good firmware running on the drone.

You're a lot braver than I am.
2018-2-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

While there are no guarantees it is best to leave your VPS on.  This enables the Landing Protection Function, designed, in part, specifically to avoid the bird landing in an unsafe area such as water.  Check your manual it explains the function.  It only comes in to play when it is in auto land, meaning, if you are in that situation you have other problems to worry about.  However, on the chance it does try to land on water it will pause giving you time to abort the attempt.  Either way there is more reasons to leave it on then turn it off.  As noted above I don't recommend you fly below about 7 to 10 feet.  One thing is for sure, if your bird goes in the drink you'll have two possible outcomes you can lose it forever or get lucky and recover it but then you may not get lucky that it remains functional.  
Fly Safe
2018-2-5
Use props
DarkZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-2-5 08:56
The Wet Suits were designed for the Phantom 4 series drones,    The Pro, The Pro Plus  and the advanced.
Neoprene Suits that keep the water completely out of the drone and allow for a more secure flight,
They also add visibility and lock in the battery and leg clips .  You can go to phantomrain.org  and check them out.    Fantastic for flying in the extreme cold and the pouring rain.   

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
2018-2-5
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-5 10:37
While there are no guarantees it is best to leave your VPS on.  This enables the Landing Protection Function, designed, in part, specifically to avoid the bird landing in an unsafe area such as water.  Check your manual it explains the function.  It only comes it to play when it is auto land, meaning, if you are in that situation you have other problems to worry about.  However, on the chance it does try to land on water it will pause giving you time to abort the attempt.  Either way there is more reasons to leave it on then turn it off.  As noted above I don't recommend you fly below about 7 to 10 feet.  One this is for sure, if you bird goes in the drink you'll have to possible outcomes you can lose it forever or get lucky and recover it but then you may not get lucky it remaining functional.  
Fly Safe

"One this is for sure, if you bird goes in the drink you'll have to possible outcomes you can lose it forever or get lucky and recover it but then you may not get lucky it remaining functional."

Attention the "spelling police".  You have spelled thing and two wrong. Sorry, I couldn't help but notice. As you were and carry on.
2018-2-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Air/America Posted at 2018-2-5 18:05
"One this is for sure, if you bird goes in the drink you'll have to possible outcomes you can lose it forever or get lucky and recover it but then you may not get lucky it remaining functional."

Attention the "spelling police".  You have spelled thing and two wrong. Sorry, I couldn't help but notice. As you were and carry on.

You are absolutely correct, my most humble apologies, edits were made and I hope it meets your approval.
Thank you for keeping things honest and on the up and up Good Job
2018-2-5
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-5 18:16
You are absolutely correct, my most humble apologies, edits were made and I hope it meets your approval.
Thank you for keeping things honest and on the up and up Good Job

Bartender, I'll have what ever he is drinking and buy "him" another one.

2018-2-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Air/America Posted at 2018-2-5 18:25
Bartender, I'll have what ever he is drinking and buy "him" another one.

Thanks!

Next one is on me, put it on my tab...
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules