Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic pro dropped dead into the ocean
12Next >
8735 47 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 173235 ft
Australia

Hi Guys, I have recently lost my drone in the ocean, unable to recover. Need some guide and advise on what could have happened and what are my options. Here are the details.
DJI Mavic Pro. In warranty
DJI refresh care still active.
Details on the last flight:
Flight duration 1.34 minutes
Distance 128 meters from controller
18 satellites and 94% battery.
The drone simply disconnected and I saw it just falling down like a brick. RC said disconnected and i had no control. I have had many flights with it with no issues, this was my second flight ever over an ocean. I had opened up a case with dji support, provided whatever they needed. They came back to me saying they don't know what caused it and hence can offer 30% discount. I would like to know if dji support is incapable of finding the cause after uploading all the data, is there anywhere else I can go, who can prove what happened to the drone so I can claim warranty.
See filght record uploaded. [backcolor=rgba(249, 249, 249, 0.3)]http://app.airdata.com/main?share=kEaNcP
Any help would be much appreciated.

Vik

2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

I have uploaded the log to Phantom Help as well:http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/SB1HP493NMU7OUTU9JIL/
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Are there any logs anywhere in the the Rc or the phone which would show that the drone disconnected. Would that be enough proof to show malfunction?
In may case it was looking like as if the drone lost power mid air!
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Vik, we are so sorry for your loss, unfortunately DJI Care Refresh will not cover the loss, please contact our support to start a ticket at the same time when other users help to analyze your flight records. Good luck to you.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Here is the email response from DJI care. I found it a little rude to be honest.
They seem to have no idea what happened after analyzing the logs. If DJI can't interpret logs, is there anyone else who can help prove what happened to it?

Thanks for getting back to us. Sincerely sorry for the late reply since I have a two-day off. It is not advised to keep sending emails to us because that will refresh the time on your case. While we handle emails in time order, thus your case will be delayed. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for the understanding.

From the flight record you provided, that the aircraft fell down from the mid air couldn't be verified. We offer solution, which are based on the reality and proof, not simply from customers' description or analysts' predication.
We also want to figure out the cause of the incident and what happens afterwards, however it hasn't been recorded.
As the result of analysis is inconclusive now, according to the policy, we could only a 30% off discount. The aircraft was under your control and responded well, it worked as normal before flight record ended. It's not able to locate the main reason according to the flight records you provided, and there are no any error prompts on the app either.
The 30% off discounted is the maximum offer we can provide. Thanks for your time.

As for the DJI Care Refresh, it doesn't cover your case since the aircraft couldn't be recovered. If the aircraft is lost, we couldn't offer you replacement under DJI Care Refresh, which is demonstrated in DJI Website:
https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s5

But if you would like to take the offer and order a new aircraft, when the new aircraft arrives in, you can send an email to djicare@dji.com who can help to transfer DJI care refresh. Below are required from them:
Serial number of the new aircraft;
Serial number of the original aircraft;
DJI care refresh agreement number.

Please feel free to reply this E-mail if you need the discount or if there is any other questions.

Thanks again for your patience. Have a nice day.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

It's almost like the drone knows it was over water and committed suicide!
I take it you were not able to recover the drone?

Seeing this makes me nervous to fly my drone. To me, everything in the log looks good.

Are drones not for going and looking at places that we mere mortals cannot easily access? Seriously, if you take it to places that you cannot easily recover it from and it decides to take a dump, then care refresh and warranty mean nothing, how convinient... So, I might as well just invest in a good camera and carry it around, cause I feel that one day my drone will just switch off/die mid air never to be seen again.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-22 02:59
It's almost like the drone knows it was over water and committed suicide!
I take it you were not able to recover the drone?

Yes i have the same fear now. In a dilemma if i should ever buy a dji or even a drone.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Perhaps it was abducted by aliens!
Even if it was hit/attacked by birds, it would have showen in the log, but the log just ended as if the craft just lost power or the firmware crashed.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-22 03:05
Perhaps it was abducted by aliens!
Even if it was hit/attacked by birds, it would have showen in the log, but the log just ended as if the craft just lost power or the firmware crashed.

I agree. is there a way to prove the malfunction to DJI support? any logs recorded in the RC or phone somewhere?
2018-1-22
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Where did you get the log from that you posted?
I believe there is a log on the phone, but I'm not sure how to get it. Search some of the other vanishing mavic threads as there are instructions in them how to get the log from your phone.
If not, I'm sure someone will chime in here..
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

I am now reading all the forums from other users who have lost their drones or they fell from the sky. Had i earlier known mavic pro has issues or faults i would have never attempted to fly it from where it can't be recovered. Or never bought such a device. It really was a pride to fly it, but now its all gone.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-22 03:09
Where did you get the log from that you posted?
I believe there is a log on the phone, but I'm not sure how to get it. Search some of the other vanishing mavic threads as there are instructions in them how to get the log from your phone.
If not, I'm sure someone will chime in here..

The log is from my phone, its the flight log. however according to DJi it does not show what happened. I will look further in the hope to find some more data.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

If the drone just shuts off mid flight, it is not going to leave any markers on your phone log apart from lost signal.
Even if signal was lost, it should have returned to home had the drone still been functioning correctly, which if it had been, you probably would not be here now making this post.
There were no wind warnings, the battery still had heaps of juice, all of the cells were the same voltage, you were well above sea level as you took off from the top of the cliff face and the height was held for the duration of the flight.

There must be a ufo flying around with a good collection of drones that have been beamed abord.
Perhaps the mavic needs to be supplied with a parachute and life raft with autonomous control, just like the airbag in your car ;)
2018-1-22
Use props
Peejay1977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123717 ft
United Kingdom

This is a tricky one,  I guess you can look at it from 2 points of view:

1. From your point of view, assuming it literally just dropped out of the air, the situation is clear that there was a fault.
2. From DJI's point of view, with no information in the log to give a clue, and no drone to inspect, it's hard for them to comment further without having been there.

The sum of that is that DJI won't obviously replace it as they can't verify what happened.

I realise none of that helps you, it's a very unfortunately situation and I hold my breath everytime I fly over water
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I realise none of that helps you, it's a very unfortunately situation and I hold my breath everytime I fly over water "

100% agree...I know its a shame to say this, but IMO if you can't afford to lose or replace an $800+ device, then don't fly over water.
2018-1-22
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Thats not very helpful now is it!!!!!!!!

Poor bloke has just lost his drone not down to his own fault. sounds like the mavic lost all power and stopped logging what was happening either the battery gave up or the mavic had a glitch and shutdown. personally I think they should do more to help you out.

you didn't get any warnings so they cant just say it was very windy or you didn't have a good signal so need to do more!
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Unfortunately I know what happened, RC had disconnected on it. Then I saw the drone fall like a brick, plunged into the ocean. Really don't know how to prove this disaster. I agree if one can't afford to loose a drone worth $800, should not fly over water. But they really should write it on the box or in the manual.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

This is complete bull snot. Shame on DJI.

How in the world are you suppose to log a total power loss? Maybe if DJI could prove he was doing something that put his drone in danger, like flying in rain. However when a drone drops out of the sky with zero logs after power loss, THAT IS A POWER LOSS FROM THE DRONE!!!!! Nothing the OP could have done. If it was a RC drop, then the drone would have returned to home. This is clear, the power failed on the drone. 100% DJI's fault.

Sad. DJI step up and honor this poor guys drone and stop being buttholes.
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans38d89ad9 Posted at 2018-1-22 04:48
Unfortunately I know what happened, RC had disconnected on it. Then I saw the drone fall like a brick, plunged into the ocean. Really don't know how to prove this disaster. I agree if one can't afford to loose a drone worth $800, should not fly over water. But they really should write it on the box or in the manual.

Page 52 of Mavic Owners Manual:

2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 05:10
Page 52 of Mavic Owners Manual:

[view_image]

In reality i was flying over water, way above sea level hence avoiding bodies of water by flying over it. Does this mean DJI drones can not fly over water? As they are unreliable and can fall anytime without any pilot error and warnings?
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans38d89ad9 Posted at 2018-1-22 05:21
In reality i was flying over water, way above sea level hence avoiding bodies of water by flying over it. Does this mean DJI drones can not fly over water? As they are unreliable and can fall anytime without any pilot error and warnings?

No it doesn't mean anything.  I was only citing the page in the owners manual where DJI mentions avoiding bodies of water.
2018-1-22
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Basically they are saying only fly on a beautiful calm sunny day in a very large field with no buildings nearby to cover their ass. haha
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Steeevo Posted at 2018-1-22 05:38
Basically they are saying only fly on a beautiful calm sunny day in a very large field with no buildings nearby to cover their ass. haha

More or less....
2018-1-22
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133642 ft
United States

Thats why DJI Care refresh is worthless.

Get State farm insurance.. they will replace your drone no questions ask... and within two days.
2018-1-22
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
France

I think, good company in such not obvious circumstances should just replace drone. If they cant know from log that it was pilot error, they should improve logs and replace drone, it is not customer who need to proove that it was drone fail.
I mean it could be some restrictions in such shade cases like drone was not far than 500m not lower then, battary charge, etc... coordinate shows that nothing around no obsatcles and if in this restrictions log just stopped and drone lost, replace it.
2018-1-22
Use props
rshah921
lvl.4
United States

Steeevo Posted at 2018-1-22 04:28
Thats not very helpful now is it!!!!!!!!

Poor bloke has just lost his drone not down to his own fault. sounds like the mavic lost all power and stopped logging what was happening either the battery gave up or the mavic had a glitch and shutdown. personally I think they should do more to help you out.

If all DJI had to do was trust the consumer's word on how their drone broke and that it wasn't their fault, they would be out of business.

And how many people would just say their drone fell in the water to get another one? It makes complete sense that they need the drone to inspect it and replace it.

No foul to OP, I'm sorry about your loss. It's just a tough call where you may have not done anything wrong on your end, but I also understand DJI's response to you. In all reality I would take the 30% discount and just be careful from now on. I've had mine for 6 months and have never flown over the water.
2018-1-22
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
France

rshah921 Posted at 2018-1-22 07:48
If all DJI had to do was trust the consumer's word on how their drone broke and that it wasn't their fault, they would be out of business.

And how many people would just say their drone fell in the water to get another one? It makes complete sense that they need the drone to inspect it and replace it.

You right, and for that there is logs. But if they cant say anything using their own logs... Its not customer fault that system has failed.
2018-1-22
Use props
rshah921
lvl.4
United States

W1zzard Posted at 2018-1-22 07:50
You right, and for that there is logs. But if they cant say anything using their own logs... Its not customer fault that system has failed.

Yeah I agree, I was under the assumption that they read the logs and weren't able to diagnose why it happened.

It's hard to understand the reps response because of the language barrier. I def agree though, they should be able to account for this type of scenario through the logs. But then again they clearly write to avoid flying over bodies of water, so it's an iffy situation.
2018-1-22
Use props
Peejay1977
lvl.4
United Kingdom

W1zzard Posted at 2018-1-22 07:29
I think, good company in such not obvious circumstances should just replace drone. If they cant know from log that it was pilot error, they should improve logs and replace drone, it is not customer who need to proove that it was drone fail.
I mean it could be some restrictions in such shade cases like drone was not far than 500m not lower then, battary charge, etc... coordinate shows that nothing around no obsatcles and if in this restrictions log just stopped and drone lost, replace it.

I know what you’re saying and I kind of agree but for:the companies perspective it’s like someone crashing into a brick wall in a car and saying to the manufacturer “it just didn’t stop” and expecting a new car with no evidence to suggest either way what happened,

I’m not implying for one moment the OP did anything wrong, just playing devils advocate.
2018-1-22
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
France

Peejay1977 Posted at 2018-1-22 11:54
I know what you’re saying and I kind of agree but for:the companies perspective it’s like someone crashing into a brick wall in a car and saying to the manufacturer “it just didn’t stop” and expecting a new car with no evidence to suggest either way what happened,

I’m not implying for one moment the OP did anything wrong, just playing devils advocate.

IF you add to your imagine car some black box to record video ahead and others parameters, and based on this they could not proof that yo do it  for purpose (black box just stop working before crash), in this case it become proper analogy )
2018-1-22
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
France

Actuall i think more about car analogy, and there were recalls. As we know it was real storys when drone fall because of manufacturing problem and for car analogy it is a good reason to start recall and fix problem.
2018-1-22
Use props
Peejay1977
lvl.4
United Kingdom

W1zzard Posted at 2018-1-22 12:10
IF you add to your imagine car some black box to record video ahead and others parameters, and based on this they could not proof that yo do it  for purpose (black box just stop working before crash), in this case it become proper analogy )

The analagy is still fine, in the case of the car you’d still have the car to hand over to be examined. In this case all the facts are not known
2018-1-22
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

wow 30% you must know someone there. Normally it's a whopping 15% i thought.
2018-1-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

fans38d89ad9 Posted at 2018-1-22 03:10
I am now reading all the forums from other users who have lost their drones or they fell from the sky. Had i earlier known mavic pro has issues or faults i would have never attempted to fly it from where it can't be recovered. Or never bought such a device. It really was a pride to fly it, but now its all gone.

You did not read the replacement policy when you bought DJI Care Refresh?  You did not read the manual where it says to NOT fly over water?  Those two items pretty well cover their butts and have been in effect since day one.  This has been discussed many times on the forum.

As for the logs, the most detailed and technical log is in the memory in the drone.  You may sarcastically think "Gee, that's convenient!", but more than likely to send the data to the phone or other device would require too much bandwidth due to the detail included within it.

Because there is apparently no cause shown in the log you did retrieve, it could well be that the battery was not properly seated (or some other reason) and electrically disconnected while in flight.  If that happens, there's no power to even record that power loss to the log.  It just abruptly ends where it is at the time of loss.
2018-1-22
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

DJI CARE is clear : gives us back the BODY of your drone.. we give you a new one ! yours is in the ocean my friend !
Now i'm NOT saying is your fault... but in colder periods like now you should take care of your BATTERY VOLTAGE... whY? let me tell you... if BATTERY VOLTAGE gets critical the drone will AUTO LAND and if .. IF ... in those moment you lose connection with your drone, BOOM it lands in the water !
would even fall straight like a brick if battery fails..  .. i'm just saying  in winter time (cold weather..) make your drone warm a little bit before pushing it to extremes!
I hope somehow dji can find out what happened and cover your drone ! good luck
2018-1-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

fans38d89ad9 Posted at 2018-1-22 05:21

Yes!  It can fall from the sky at any time.  There is a TON of technology aboard the controller.  Technology can fail, and does.  There is no pilot aboard the craft to take over if there is a total power failure.  As you know, there wouldn't be anything he could do about if there was one.  What it boils down to is the lack of evidence you are stuck with by flying over unrecoverable terrain.

What you need is an all-loss personal articles insurance policy that covers it no matter what, including total loss.  That's all I have left, now that my DJI Care Refresh has expired.  It's a better deal anyway, since I can get a check cut quickly and go down and replace it the same day.  In my case, it is only $30/yr, $50-70 in some other states.
2018-1-22
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Be thankful... They offered me only 15% off the price of a new aircraft.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans38d89ad9
lvl.1
Australia

Bucefalo Posted at 2018-1-22 15:20
DJI CARE is clear : gives us back the BODY of your drone.. we give you a new one ! yours is in the ocean my friend !
Now i'm NOT saying is your fault... but in colder periods like now you should take care of your BATTERY VOLTAGE... whY? let me tell you... if BATTERY VOLTAGE gets critical the drone will AUTO LAND and if .. IF ... in those moment you lose connection with your drone, BOOM it lands in the water !
would even fall straight like a brick if battery fails..  .. i'm just saying  in winter time (cold weather..) make your drone warm a little bit before pushing it to extremes!

Here are the weather conditions, where /When I was flying. To me its looks to be acceptable conditions:
2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_CbfiJvy
lvl.2
Argentina

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 04:09
"I realise none of that helps you, it's a very unfortunately situation and I hold my breath everytime I fly over water "

100% agree...I know its a shame to say this, but IMO if you can't afford to lose or replace an $800+ device, then don't fly over water.

you work for Mr dji?
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Vik, I am really sorry for your loss, I understand this was frustrated. Could you please provide me with your case number so I can check the details of it?
2018-1-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules