Max Altitude (GPS) 120m. Can't go higher than that.
31293 26 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RussellPhotog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16178 ft
China

Hello all!

I tried today to go higher than 120m I just wanted to fly a bit higher than the building that I live in to take a panorama shot but couldn't go higher 120m although I'm on P mode and I set maximum altitude 220m. ON the main screen on the left corner I see message "max altitude (GPS) 120m". 120m is nothing I couldn't even go higher than a building. Does anybody know how to turn that GPS restriction off?

Thanks
2018-1-22
Use props
RussellPhotog
lvl.2
China

maximum altitude (GPS) 120m

Hello all!

I tried today to go higher than 120m I just wanted to fly a bit higher than the building that I live in to take a panorama shot but couldn't go higher 120m although I'm on P mode and I set maximum altitude 220m. ON the main screen on the left corner I see message "max altitude (GPS) 120m". 120m is nothing I couldn't even go higher than a building. Does anybody know how to turn that GPS restriction off?

Thanks

2018-1-22
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

yes, it can use google or youtube.
2018-1-22
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

Should be under Main Controller Settings > Set Max Flight Altitude - default is 120m you can set it to the max of 500m
Keep in mind local laws and regulations - 120m for most locations is the legal limit.
2018-1-22
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

No thanks I dont want another noob flying 100 meters over the legal limit
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll also need to tap a disclaimer that pops up acknowledging that you know the height restrictions.
2018-1-22
Use props
RussellPhotog
lvl.2
Australia

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-22 07:57

well Mavic's altitude limit is 500. I think for a noob it's even safer to fly on that hight rather than 120 where you can bump into a lot of staff as cranes buildings etc.  And it's still too low for the airplanes and helicopters.  I feel that it would be more comfortable and safer for anybody.
2018-1-22
Use props
RussellPhotog
lvl.2
Australia

Macdugel Posted at 2018-1-22 07:56
Should be under Main Controller Settings > Set Max Flight Altitude - default is 120m you can set it to the max of 500m
Keep in mind local laws and regulations - 120m for most locations is the legal limit.

I did that when the device (drone) was connected to the RC and accepted everything but still couldn't go higher. receive the message "maximum altitude is reached". Although in the app maximum altitude is set to 220m Not sure why the limit is 120m. I think 200m would be safer where you can't fly into buildings and maintain a direct connection between the RC and drone and do not reach the hight where airplanes and helicopters are flying.
2018-1-22
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
India

Take off from the roof of the building.
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, are you flying in a Restricted-Altitude Zone? Restricted-altitude zones will appear in grey on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI GO, or DJI GO 4 and flight altitude is limited to 120 meters. You can also check if you are in the restricted zone on this map: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
If you are not flying in a Restricted-Altitude Zone, please provide me with the screenshot of the Main Controller Settings and the message you got from the app. Thank you.
2018-1-22
Use props
RussellPhotog
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-22 20:37
Just to verify, are you flying in a Restricted-Altitude Zone? Restricted-altitude zones will appear in grey on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI GO, or DJI GO 4 and flight altitude is limited to 120 meters. You can also check if you are in the restricted zone on this map: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
If you are not flying in a Restricted-Altitude Zone, please provide me with the screenshot of the Main Controller Settings and the message you got from the app. Thank you.

Hello! yeah I checked that yesterday, and it seems that I'm in the partially restricted area. I'm in the bluish area on the map. So I guess that's the reason. I'll provide screenshots today.
2018-1-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Macdugel Posted at 2018-1-22 07:56

As long as he is within 120m of his building, he can go 120m above it.
2018-1-22
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

I reached peak altitude and could have hit the ground of a mountain. It is agl, but I think it goes  by the launch site.
2018-1-22
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-22 07:57

He lives in China, do you know what the height regulations are where his lives. Think before you talk.
2018-1-23
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Locoman Posted at 2018-1-23 04:21
He lives in China, do you know what the height regulations are where his lives. Think before you talk.

Looks like he moved to the US around post #7...
2018-1-23
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

HyLenz Posted at 2018-1-23 06:02
Looks like he moved to the US around post #7...

Don't matter it's AGL not Take Of Point in both. There seams to bee a lot of posters here which don't understand the AGL rule, but are willing to say other are making something wrong by flying higher than 120 m above take of point.
AGL

2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Locoman Posted at 2018-1-23 04:21

The maximum legal altitude in China is 120 meters, like in the US. It is not safe to fly at 220 meters in a city anyways.

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-china/
2018-1-23
Use props
Plank!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 526798 ft
United Kingdom

RussellPhotog Posted at 2018-1-22 08:44
well Mavic's altitude limit is 500. I think for a noob it's even safer to fly on that hight rather than 120 where you can bump into a lot of staff as cranes buildings etc.  And it's still too low for the airplanes and helicopters.  I feel that it would be more comfortable and safer for anybody.

500m puts it well within range of many light aircraft and helicopters, plus if they are flying that low you get very little notice when one buzzes overhead.
I was hovering about 100m above a hill taking shots of the sunset when a plane came out of nowhere at about the same height as my drone, about 50m to one side...  I almost needed new pants.
2018-1-23
Use props
airjudge
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Just to be clear. Can I still fly above 120m of a building on a Restricted Altitude (GPS) 120m zone .... or I cannot? ...... Normally you can fly 400 feet about a building but this new restricted altitude rule wasn't part of the initial deal?
2018-11-25
Use props
airjudge
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 1-22 20:37
Just to verify, are you flying in a Restricted-Altitude Zone? Restricted-altitude zones will appear in grey on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI GO, or DJI GO 4 and flight altitude is limited to 120 meters. You can also check if you are in the restricted zone on this map: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Just to be clear. Can I still fly above 120m of a building on a Restricted Altitude (GPS) 120m zone .... or I cannot? ...... Normally you can fly 400 feet about a building but this new restricted altitude rule wasn't part of the initial deal?
2018-11-27
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

airjudge Posted at 11-27 06:19
Just to be clear. Can I still fly above 120m of a building on a Restricted Altitude (GPS) 120m zone .... or I cannot? ...... Normally you can fly 400 feet about a building but this new restricted altitude rule wasn't part of the initial deal?

Where are you wanting to do this?  It will depend on
1 your general country laws
2 the specific location (ie any locally restricted airspace)

The laws vary from place to place.
2018-11-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Just to be clear. Can I still fly above 120m of a building on a Restricted Altitude (GPS) 120m zone .... or I cannot? ...... Normally you can fly 400 feet about a building but this new restricted altitude rule wasn't part of the initial deal?

Not even sure GO-4 for someone located in U.S. will allow you to set Max Altitude above 120-meters (400-feet).  Sometime back, between one of CrystalSky repair/replacements, while setting up GO-4 / Cs-Ub; I made a typo entering Max Altitude, GO-4 rejected entry.  Out of curiosity, I tried several other numbers slight greater than 120-meters, and those were rejected.  Haven't tried with last GO-4 release.
2018-11-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would imagine if altitude was restricted in the area your flying in then it will be restricted to whatever it’s restricted to. If you have commercial license then just apply for SOP, if not best to check with whomever placed the restrictions.
2018-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, if you are in an Altitude Zone, you need to refer to the altitude limitation warning on the app, and the pilot is unable to fly over 120 meters in this zone without unlocking.
For your information, an Altitude Zone is an area of restricted flight altitude. Each of these zones consists of two parts. Part one is a 60-meter height-restricted area, which extends 3.6 km outwards from the four corners of a Restricted Zone at an angle of 8.5°. Part two is a 120-meter height-restricted area, which extends 8.4 km outwards from the corners of part one, you can visit here for further details https://www.dji.com/flysafe/introduction.
If you have further questions about the geo-zone and want to unlock the drone in this zone, please kindly contact flysafe@dji.com, thank you.
2018-11-27
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

airjudge Posted at 11-25 15:20

You shame yourself by not knowing the flight rules for the area you fly in.
They vary a lot, from place to place.
You aren't competent to fly without finding them, reading them and understanding them.
2018-11-28
Use props
airjudge
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 11-28 01:35
You shame yourself by not knowing the flight rules for the area you fly in.
They vary a lot, from place to place.
You aren't competent to fly without finding them, reading them and understanding them.

I'm a licensed commercial drone pilot on the US, Florida. I use my license for Real Estate Production. I do know every rule and procedure for the type of task I perform above the ground (AGL).

The safety MAX altitude for any drone pilot (in the US) is 400 feet (120m) AGL.

Also according to the Part 107 rule, I can fly 400 feet from the highest point of a structure or building with an outward radius extension of 400f as well.

If the structure or building is 500 feet tall, I can fly my drone 800 feet from the ground (AGL) following procedure specified in the Part 107 from the FAA.

With this been said, my initial question was related to the the new curiouse "Max Altitude (GPS) 120m" recently implemented in the GO 4 App interface. This enforcement in the app restrict my fly up to 400f (120m) defeating the purpose of the Part 107 rule about a structure or building.

It seems now that I have to follow a new protocol to unlock and perform a task that does not require any waiver or authorization procedure to complete the task.

I'll keep searching more facts for this matter.
2018-11-28
Use props
airjudge
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

airjudge Posted at 11-28 05:21
I'm a licensed commercial drone pilot on the US, Florida. I use my license for Real Estate Production. I do know every rule and procedure for the type of task I perform above the ground (AGL).

The safety MAX altitude for any drone pilot (in the US) is 400 feet (120m) AGL.

Correction:
If the structure or building is 500 feet tall, I can fly my drone 800 feet from the ground (AGL) following procedure specified in the Part 107 from the FAA.

Is not 800 feet, it is 900 feet AGL
2018-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules