Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wobbly hover at 10 ft
421 12 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

Can anyone relate to this , my phantom 4 pro is quite wobbly when hovering in one spot, I can also hear it when it moves through the air,
I have phantom 4 standard and it is as smooth as it gets, this new phantom 4 Pro wobbles quite a bit...
I will try new props next time I fly to see if perhaps there is something with the props I had on...
This was my ever first flight with P4P , it's a great drone but that wobble really concerns me, next time I'm out I will record it's behaviour and post a video
to show you exactly how it hovers.

2018-1-22
Use props
echopiece
lvl.4
Flight distance : 225266 ft
United States

The first thing I would try is to perform a VPS calibration in Assistant 2
2018-1-22
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

at which light conditions  and which kind of terrain (colour, texture etc.) does it happen?
2018-1-22
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-1-22 10:40
at which light conditions  and which kind of terrain (colour, texture etc.) does it happen?

Hi Antonio , it was over snow during natural day light and no direct sun light...
I also noticed the video in 4K at 30FPS sort of pulsated every 2 seconds , I was flying over a frozen lake with snow on it...
2018-1-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 395551 ft
Australia

Hi. Others have suggested a VPS calibration - a good place to start. With respect to the noise, I can confirm that the P4P is louder than the P4. I'm not sure why, but I do believe it has a larger internal fan which accounts for why it's louder on the desk top doing calibrations etc.
2018-1-22
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-22 13:17
Hi. Others have suggested a VPS calibration - a good place to start. With respect to the noise, I can confirm that the P4P is louder than the P4. I'm not sure why, but I do believe it has a larger internal fan which accounts for why it's louder on the desk top doing calibrations etc.

I will do the VPS calibration when I'll get home and report back.
2018-1-22
Use props
eman_vg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Did you keep your batteries warm?
2018-1-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 395551 ft
Australia

Andrew245 Posted at 2018-1-22 11:46
Hi Antonio , it was over snow during natural day light and no direct sun light...
I also noticed the video in 4K at 30FPS sort of pulsated every 2 seconds , I was flying over a frozen lake with snow on it...

Oops - I missed this detail. At that height the VPS is active (~10m and below actually). However, snow or otherwise reflective surfaces are not the friend of it's visual sensors.
Try the calibration, sure, but I suspect it's just a result of the sensor's limitations in being able to tell where the ground is, and it's attempting to maintain a holding pattern with constantly-changing visual data.
2018-1-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I also noticed the video in 4K at 30FPS sort of pulsated every 2 seconds , I was flying over a frozen lake with snow on it...

'I also noticed the video in 4K at 30FPS sort of pulsated every 2 seconds , I was flying over a frozen lake with snow on it...'

In settings, change white balance from auto to maual and select 5600K.
2018-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

There's probably nothing wrong with it.
Before you waste time trying to recalibrate, just put your Phantom up higher than 30 feet and see how it hovers when the VPS sensor isn't trying (and failing) to lock on to snow.
Or just disable the VPS and see how that goes.
2018-1-22
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-22 22:10
There's probably nothing wrong with it.
Before you waste time trying to recalibrate, just put your Phantom up higher than 30 feet and see how it hovers when the VPS sensor isn't trying (and failing) to lock on to snow.
Or just disable the VPS and see how that goes.

I will test it today,
but I was gonna mention that coming from the distance I heard a bit of a humming sound not the same sound that comes from my Phantom 4 standard, it almost sounded as the drone struggled to stay leveled and on heading  and that was about 70 ft in the air...
I will recallibrate everything over again including IMU , gimbal, compass and vps, I will set the video white balance to manual as suggested .
Appreciate the help guys, thx
2018-1-23
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 15812070 ft
  • >>>
United States

It may be turbelence, I find that when there is a lot of air moving around it will move quite a bit trying to stay at a steady hover. No wind it is rock steady.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Andrew, the VPS may not work well on the reflective surface. It is suggested to change to another open location with clear patterns and texture to check again. Please keep us posted of the latest progress, thanks!
2018-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules