123Next >
48603 84 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
c.grex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4751 ft
United Kingdom

My video was shot on iphone 7plus using the DJI Go app. Auto, just white balance set to cloudy. Resolution was 1280x720 because that must have been what it defaulted too! Never thought to check. Edit was then done with the DJI Go app.

I’m interested in using the magnet to see what results I get. The ground on the above video was very rocky and uneven, so really tested balance and I deliberately avoided compensating to see the results.
2018-2-17
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

I shot my video on an iPhone X with dji go. Default settings apart from selecting 4K. Not impressed as sky pulses. Taking it back I think.

https://youtu.be/2h-3mgaCH1M
2018-2-17
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

Took mine back today to Apple. Might buy again once dji have sorted out the issues.
2018-2-19
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hang in there guys. I'll get you a video soon, hopefully this weekend I'll have time.
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

netcarlos Posted at 2018-1-27 04:08
There is no evidence that OIS is hard wired and cannot be turned off..

If you read Apple Developer's API reference there is clear statement that you can ENABLE IT.. that means it is not enabled by default:

The issue with turning it off is that it allows for the lens to float freely (that is at least what I have heard).
Giving an even worse viewing experience.
2018-2-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here is with the Go app on an iPhone 8+.
2018-2-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

And here I tested with the default iOS app.

Much better.
2018-2-22
Use props
jswnz
New
New Zealand

I am using an iPhone X. Filmic Pro, is an improvement but not a solution. This has been an incredibly disappointing purchase for me. The jitter completely defeats the purpose of using a gimbal. There's a huge (Huge!) difference when comparing the footage from my OSMO + iPhone X to my GoPro + Karma grip. As mentioned by others this is hardware related. I do believe DJI are well aware of this issue (On The Verge demo video the footage was from the front facing camera!) but it seems to be at the very low on their priority list.

I don't recommend getting this if you have an iPhone with OIS.
2018-3-13
Use props
HPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457638 ft
Hong Kong

jswnz Posted at 2018-3-13 16:51
I am using an iPhone X. Filmic Pro, is an improvement but not a solution. This has been an incredibly disappointing purchase for me. The jitter completely defeats the purpose of using a gimbal. There's a huge (Huge!) difference when comparing the footage from my OSMO + iPhone X to my GoPro + Karma grip. As mentioned by others this is hardware related. I do believe DJI are well aware of this issue (On The Verge demo video the footage was from the front facing camera!) but it seems to be at the very low on their priority list.

Couldn't agree more. A bit regret as I am using iPhone X. Wouldn't recommend to purchase unless the apps get update to fix it.
2018-3-13
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

jswnz Posted at 2018-3-13 16:51
I am using an iPhone X. Filmic Pro, is an improvement but not a solution. This has been an incredibly disappointing purchase for me. The jitter completely defeats the purpose of using a gimbal. There's a huge (Huge!) difference when comparing the footage from my OSMO + iPhone X to my GoPro + Karma grip. As mentioned by others this is hardware related. I do believe DJI are well aware of this issue (On The Verge demo video the footage was from the front facing camera!) but it seems to be at the very low on their priority list.

The OIS issue is present on all the gimbals that I own, OM2, the smooth q, and the Crane Plus.  Regardless of the app you use, there's no way to override the jitter.  Ironically, DJI teamed up with Apple to handle pre-orders.  Didn't they know this?  Anyways, I hope there was a fix for this.  I'm forced to use my gopro and my mirrorless cam for gimbal work.  I use the om2 for hyperlapses.  
2018-3-14
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

I was 5 minutes to buying this thing and then I have read this thread... And nice sneaky admin reply... No worries, eh?! And then the price of osmo mobile 2 came to my head. Maybe it is so low because this thing is not properly usable with major part of new smart phones?  Sad sad sad
2018-3-15
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

Tautvilas Posted at 2018-3-15 06:52
I was 5 minutes to buying this thing and then I have read this thread... And nice sneaky admin reply... No worries, eh?! And then the price of osmo mobile 2 came to my head. Maybe it is so low because this thing is not properly usable with major part of new smart phones?  Sad sad sad

No, it's not a matter of price. The previous edition was quite expensive and had exactly the same issue. Striclty speaking, there is nothing DJI can do to fix this. But it should be highlighted with bold font on the product page. Instead, they are selling this through Apple store as compatible. This really is not fair.
2018-3-15
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

Well I hope osmo 2 with integrated camera will also be this kind of price attractive. If thing like osmo 2 ever coming out at all...
2018-3-15
Use props
Tossy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1525712 ft
Japan

Hello guys.

I got Osmo Mobile 2 two weeks ago.
Videos shot with OM2+iPhone 8 Plus+DJI GO have jitter.
But, with NO OIS Devices work fine!
I made a comparison video for this problem. (sorry,in Japanese.)
I hope Apple will be able to disable iPhone's OIS.

2018-3-17
Use props
Wrenny1969
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23366 ft
United Kingdom

My iPhone SE doesn't have OIS so I am good right? Got my Osmo 2 couple of days ago and not conducted any testing yet.
2018-3-18
Use props
adrian lupulup
New

Belgium

Hey Tossy,

Can you make a test with iphone 8+ telephoto lens and om2?
Iphone 8+ telephotolens has no ois.

Thank you!
2018-3-18
Use props
Tossy
lvl.3
India

adrian lupulup Posted at 2018-3-18 08:45
Hey Tossy,

Can you make a test with iphone 8+ telephoto lens and om2?

Hi Adrian.

Yes. I will do this test next weekend.
If I shoot with zoom x1.1 on the iPhone's camera app, can I test that?

I have more a doubt.
DJI GO app and FiLMiC PRO app also supported telephoto lense?
Can I test these applications in the same way iPhone's camera app if I shoot with zoom x1.1?

I am also looking forward to the results of this test
2018-3-18
Use props
Eastsider4232
lvl.1
Russia

Just got mine today, tested for brief 2 videos and totally disappointed.
2018-3-20
Use props
Tossy
lvl.3
Japan

Hello guys

I put the iphone 8 plus on the Osmo mobile 2 and tested the comparison between the telephoto lens(No OIS) and the wide lens(with OIS).

As a result of the test, it is clear that OM 2 conflict with OIS.

2018-3-23
Use props
Eastsider4232
lvl.1
Russia

Tossy Posted at 2018-3-23 23:03
Hello guys

I put the iphone 8 plus on the Osmo mobile 2 and tested the comparison between the telephoto lens(No OIS) and the wide lens(with OIS).

Thanks Tossy, great video. Saved me from spending money on Filmic App.

Too bad my phone Iphone 7 doesnt have Tele lens
2018-3-25
Use props
Johny Tyree
New

Poland

Hey, I just received my OM2 yesterday and I have the same problem... OM2 + iPhone X = tittle shakes...

I cant understand how DJI and Apple can recommend this device together... it's funny
Is there any reasonable solution?
2018-3-29
Use props
fans910f5bab
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi! iPhone X user here - I’ve read/watched a LOT in the last week on these issues, but curious on whether people still feel it’s a lot better than just going handheld with the phone? I’ve watched so many vids now, and I’m trying to decide - as it’s this for my honeymoon in the summer, or just carrying my phone and making a real mess of it.
2018-3-29
Use props
fans0d6cfbfc
lvl.1
United States

Is anyone else having connection issues between their OSMO 2 and Phone? I was using my Iphone 6 plus at the local BMX track and it just stopped functioning. It said it was connected but wouldn't start recording using the record button on the OSMO. I reset my phone and the OSMO but it still wouldn't work. Since then I've been using the normal camera app and have no problems with the footage.

What other apps can we use for time laps style filming?
2018-3-29
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you guys watched the videos Moment putnout with their anamorphic lens on an iPhone? Holy crap they’re amazing and I don’t see the jitter. They are all filmed at a higher frame rate and slowed to 24fps. I wonder if this is this trick plus using stabilization software in post?
2018-4-2
Use props
Gameover000
lvl.2

Or not walking per say - the footage is spot on if you don’t walk, that’s the annoying thing.
2018-4-3
Use props
Vietnow43
lvl.1
United States

Is the OIS issue for iPhones a problem for ALL stabilizers or just the Osmo?
2018-4-4
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

Some claim, their gimbal works fine with OIS, but honestly it’s hard to believe and I’ve never seen any independent review that would prove it.
2018-4-4
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

I have an iPhone8 and i returned my Osmo Mobile 1 because of this. DJI cant do anything to fix it, because its a hardware problem on the apple phones, which cant lock the OIS.

iPhone7, 8, X will NOT work with the Osmo Mobile properly. The good videos that you find on Youtube are just standing shots or super slow movement.

Still, as i said its not the fault of DJI, although they should tell their customers which phones it doesn't work with! I tested an iPhone SE - great results.

So now i am still torn between buying an Osmo+ or an Osmo Mobile and an iPhone SE. Either way, cant use the nice 4k 60fps on my iPhone 8. Thanks for nothing Apple.
2018-4-12
Use props
Pasod
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6286 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NerdyGuy Posted at 2018-2-14 15:12
If you REALLY want to get rid of the bob in your videos.... I am here to rescue you.... See below:

Thanks for the tip and the link!
I knew my printer would come in handy one day lol

Im wondering how much of a difference it would make with something like below mounted under the osmo and a handle on that to absorb those micro vibrations, thoughts?

2018-4-17
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pasod Posted at 2018-4-17 04:51
Thanks for the tip and the link!
I knew my printer would come in handy one day lol

I wonder.... cheap solutions can surprisingly be the best solutions.    If you try this, let me know!.... I really like the 3D printed support.  Might  make another soon!  
2018-4-17
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

netcarlos Posted at 2018-1-27 04:04
I don't think you are correct. Are you suggesting that OIS is embedded in the hardware? I don't think that is true.

There are 3rd party apps that can enable/disable stabilization.. for example http://cydia.saurik.com/package/org.thebigboss.cameratweak4/

That is not true, in the app ProCamera you can turn it off.
2018-4-20
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Johny Tyree Posted at 2018-3-29 00:03
Hey, I just received my OM2 yesterday and I have the same problem... OM2 + iPhone X = tittle shakes...

I cant understand how DJI and Apple can recommend this device together... it's funny

If you use the camera app in your phone it won’t be bad, the only downside is that you cannot use active track and a few other features this way.
2018-4-20
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Thor1 Posted at 2018-4-20 02:11
If you use the camera app in your phone it won’t be bad, the only downside is that you cannot use active track and a few other features this way.

Sorry guys but what I said on my last post is incorrect, the iPhone uses an optical stabilization not digital, it is actually a hardware component that allows this to work, one way to turn it off is to put a tiny magnet on the screen side of your phone directly behind the camera, this should turn off the optical stabilization feature until you remove the magnet.
2018-4-20
Use props
zwt100
lvl.2

I’ve been looking into an Osmo 2 but I own an iPhon 8. Sounds like it’s entirely incompatible because of the optical stabilization , correct? Or can I still get some good, stable footage under the right conditions?
2018-4-20
Use props
djiuser_W5VL87Y10jyk
New

Netherlands

For an image to be optical or electronical stabilized, there needs to be room to crop and still maintain your selected image quality (i.e. 1080p). From my understanding the video is captured in a little more resolution than 1080p, leaving room to crop out jitter and wobble, and then you’ll be left with a stable 1080p image (using handheld). Filming in 4k on an iphone means there is no room for cropping, since the iphone can’t capure an image in a higher resolution. Therefore the OIS/EIS is disabled, leaving for a much smoother image on a gimbal compared to a video shot in 1080p. You can clearly see the difference in this gimbal comparison video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIYAOMvHiQ (shot in 4k, whatever fps on iphone). Yes, 4k will eat your storage alive, but it looks like the best option for no jitter/wobble with an iPhone 7 or higher and a gimbal.
2018-6-3
Use props
fans2835d4d4
lvl.1
Germany

I just have bought the Mobile 2 and normally I would return it. Shaky videos with DJI Go app, no 4K @ 60fps, no dual lenses support. But as it is the smallest gimbal for my iPhone X and has a comfortable handle plus a remote control for video start/stop I gave it a second chance and tested my video apps (stock app, FilmicPro, ProMovie and DJI Go) in all combinations. Finally I found my favorite settings which work for my needs: Mobile 2 with the panning speed set to low in its setting, FilmicPro with 4K@30fps and image stabilization ON (!). I just made this video, 1 min, 400 MB with panning, walking and stairs up and down. I did not jump but I also made no efforts to walk very smoothly. I just walked as usual. One thing turned out important: with the handle in an upright position I had shaky videos as well but when I hold the handle horizontal I get videos lke this (recorded after sunset, so with some blurring due to too long exposure time):

iPhone X vs Mobile 2 handle horizontal 4K 30fps

In my opinion the result is not such bad. You see the standard behavior of the optical image stabilization - slight problems during panning (my television's video prozessor is able to compensate this). But during walking it is rather smooth (the professionals here may forgive me - I am only a private user ..)

Kind regards,
Bernhard
2018-6-4
Use props
fans2835d4d4
lvl.1
Germany

.. my link does not work and I do not know why. It is edited automatically by the forum, no idea why. Here I try again with the link as text

http://bv33.de/forum/mobile2iphonexhandlehorizontal4k30fps.mov

Kind regards,
Bernhard

2018-6-4
Use props
denisvic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98074 ft

Here's root cause of this problem
2018-6-5
Use props
fans8dca125e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54035 ft
Puerto Rico

Hi,
Maybe I missed it in the comments, but has anyone tested filming in 720p? when I first used the product I noticed the shake in 4k and 1080p recordings, then the other night I went to film an event and decided to test the OM2 there just to give it another try and noticed no shaky effect on them at all. When I went into the settings turns out it was in 720p for some reason.

As soon as I changed it back to 1080p the shaky effect was back messing the video even with smooth movement.

One thing I don't understand about this is why would the optical lens will fight the gimbal even with slow and smooth movement. Is not the gimbal mission to stop the lens from moving by minimizing the movement? If the Gimbal makes more smooth movements why is the lens trying to stabilize the movement when it shouldn't even be moving?

Maybe I don't understand the concepts of gimbal fully since I'm new to them but if someone can elaborate I'll appreciate it.

Thanks!
2018-7-2
Use props
MGT
New

Spain

fans8dca125e Posted at 2018-7-2 12:47
Hi,
Maybe I missed it in the comments, but has anyone tested filming in 720p? when I first used the product I noticed the shake in 4k and 1080p recordings, then the other night I went to film an event and decided to test the OM2 there just to give it another try and noticed no shaky effect on them at all. When I went into the settings turns out it was in 720p for some reason.

I too would love to know the answer to your question.

In theory the gimbal should be stopping the camera from moving at all, and thus the OIS shouldn't be needed... yet for some reason is still wants to fight it.

Why?
2018-9-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules