Osmo Mobile 1 vs. Osmo Mobile 2
16315 9 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I threw together a short video on my thoughts on the Osmo Mobile 2.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbHUCRVJ-g

Basically what it comes down to, for me at least, is that not enough information has really been released/questions asked and some of the early reviewers seem to be being less than thorough (and maybe less than honest) in their reviews.  What killed it for me and really drove my opinion more than anything else was the elimination of the rosette mount and the non removeable battery.  I wasn’t thrilled by the elimination of the trigger and remapping of the controls eighther, but I could have lived with that; I even could, maybe, have lived with the battery, but the elimination of the rosette mount was just too much, and completely nonsensical; it can’t cost more than a few pennies per unit to add and it adds SO MUCH functionality.  I think DJI really shot themselves in the foot on this.  For me, I think the old original Osmo Mobile is still the better choice, and beats the pants off of everything else on the market (and maybe that’s why it still costs more).

Is any work around planned in the future to deal with he lack of accessories?  I like portrait mode and the lightweight, but the no accessories thing is just too much.

2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for your thought about Osmo Mobile 2, most Osmo accessories are not compatible with the Osmo Mobile 2. However, Osmo Tripod is compatible with the Osmo Mobile 2 and can be mounted to it via a newly installed mounting hole at the bottom of the gimbal.
We have no idea if there will be some improvement in the future about the accessories, please pay attention to our website about the future release, thanks for your attention.
2018-1-23
Use props
dhonAnjaya
New
Indonesia

osmo mobile 2 dont have grip on hand & trigger, maybe osme mobile 1 win about this, but duration osmo mobile 2 more durable...osmo base we hope compatible with osmo mobile 2 & 1
2018-1-24
Use props
plucker
lvl.2
United Kingdom

How can one attach an external microphone to the osmo mobile 2?  That is a "must have" for some people
2018-1-24
Use props
lvl.4
United States

plucker Posted at 2018-1-24 02:20
How can one attach an external microphone to the osmo mobile 2?  That is a "must have" for some people

As far as I can tell it still has the same plug issue as the first one did, but now you can add having nowhere to attach the mic.  The only thing I can think of would be to attach a cold shoe mount to the tripod screw hole, but that would have your mic handing off the bottom of the handle and your cord stretched even tighter.
2018-1-24
Use props
Blackapino 1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60351 ft
United States

All I care about is that the BASE for the Osmo is Compatible with The mobile 2 which it seems to be..and this being my FIRST one...I'm looking forward to using it.
2018-2-4
Use props
michaelemery
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167982 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

How can one attach an external microphone to the osmo mobile 2?  That is a "must have" for some people

It has become abundantly clear that DJI just aren't interested in audio, evidenced by the countless number of YouTube videos of terrible hacks for connecting microphones to an Osmo mounted phone. The situation is even worse with the elimination of headphones jacks from most premium phones. I have found the only real solution is to record seperate audio using lavalier or boom microphones connected to a dedicated recorder such as a Zoom H1N.
As I was seeking portability and fast set-up, separating audio wasn't the solution I originally wanted. Ultimately however, I discovered that recording seperate audio and merging them later was far easier than I expected, and produced much better results than a gimbal mounted solution. In hindsight, trying to set up a gimbal for video AND audio would also have been more time consuming than a having a dedicated audio recorder.
This is not what you wanted to hear, but give it some thought. It's definitely a good (and dare I say, better) option.
2018-2-15
Use props
fansf3d61549
lvl.1
Indonesia

what are the diffrences between osmo mobile 1 and osmo mobile 2 in terms of software features ?? thank you
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

The microphone can always be used on your mobile device. External mics are more for other types of Osmos.
2018-2-19
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-2-19 10:57
The microphone can always be used on your mobile device. External mics are more for other types of Osmos.

I think people realize that, but the issue people are having is that the microphones in phones tend to be very crappy.  Yes, an external microphone can be hooked to a phone, but that can be difficult given how the phone is held by the Osmo Mobiles.  Look where the port is on an IPhone for example, now look how the IPhone goes into the mount.  How do we plug anything in to that?  That is the problem people are having.

There are workarounds, but they are kind of janky, better would be if DJI built the mount with a space for the plug.
2018-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules