Goodbye Spark #2
1741 21 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarylMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7537661 ft
United States

Well, Unfortunately after less then 10 flights my new Spark decided not to RTH after losing contact at 2,799 ft.   http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4CZN1579ZNSDZUR0LKGS/

I'm hardly a newbie after successfully flying 74hrs and 5,193,765 feet.

I have reported the loss and am beginning to think that a string should be included in the box.

sigh

2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

2800 foot string?  Yep, flying so far away that you lose connection causes the loss of many RC models.  Risky and lots of things can happen to them that the autopilot can't handle.  Did you see which way the aircraft went?  Keep flying towards the nearby international airport's runways?  Is the place where the drone was lost where cessna pilots do their pattern work?  

Not sure a drone can RTH across airport NFZ's.  
2018-1-22
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

The tower and airport are well aware of me.  I've been told that if they have an aircraft at 400ft in my path the Spark isn't the problem.  I am not in the flight path, and have flown this course over 100 times.  I have a friend that lives right below.  No need to be a smart ass.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Not a smart ass.  Smart ass like putting a string on the drone?  Noted a drone flying to an airport.  Then flying on its own without owner control near an airport.  FAA watches these boards for legal ammo to pass more laws against the RC model hobby.  Or idealy, to discover there are no problems being caused by drone operations in the nations airspace.
2018-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Nothing in that log shows you lost signal, looks like you were driving forward in sport mode with no problems, are you sure you got all the log downloaded, because if this is all you have to show dji then I’m afraid there is nothing here to show no RTH or malfunction.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-22 17:52
Nothing in that log shows you lost signal, looks like you were driving forward in sport mode with no problems, are you sure you got all the log downloaded, because if this is all you have to show dji then I’m afraid there is nothing here to show no RTH or malfunction.

It lost its radio link while outbound 2700 feet plus from the pilot standing in a housing development.  No log data incoming to said pilot's remote after losing the link.  The issue is it then didn't return home.  Winds?  Mid air?  Hawk attack?  Battery popped out from poor install?  GPS or compass loss?  Endless things can happen to a drone flying on its own.
2018-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-22 18:30
It lost its radio link while outbound 2700 feet plus from the pilot standing in a housing development.  No log data incoming to said pilot's remote after losing the link.  The issue is it then didn't return home.  Winds?  Mid air?  Hawk attack?  Battery popped out from poor install?  GPS or compass loss?  Endless things can happen to a drone flying on its own.

While you say it lost radio link, in the log it clearly shows OP flat out full elevator 100% Aircraft 2799 ft from home , this is where log ends it shows nothing about downlink being lost, so apart from what OP tells us this log shows nothing to prove or disprove that drone lost downlink signal.
It could be a case that part of log has not been downloaded, probably not so we may have to accept OP’s version. But certainly log was no help here as it is.
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Dary, I feel sorry about your lost. Please contact our support and start a case first: http://www.dji.com/support. Please upload the flight record to dropbox and provide it to our support to find the reason of flying away. Thanks for your update, thanks.   
2018-1-22
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

I got a legit question, at half a mile away and 370 ft up, could you still see the little guy? Just curious.
2018-1-22
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

Sounds like you were not in line of sight and flew next to an airport.  Did you notify?  Not trying to be a troll but sounds like you did not follow FAA rules, making the rest of us look bad.   Also, its been my experience that the closer to radio towers and other such equipment, you can expect more interference.   Hope you get your drone back though
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-22 18:43
While you say it lost radio link, in the log it clearly shows OP flat out full elevator 100% Aircraft 2799 ft from home , this is where log ends it shows nothing about downlink being lost, so apart from what OP tells us this log shows nothing to prove or disprove that drone lost downlink signal.
It could be a case that part of log has not been downloaded, probably not so we may have to accept OP’s version. But certainly log was no help here as it is.

Makes sense.
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't see any specific malfunction recorded in the logs myself. Difficult one!
2018-1-23
Use props
Enri
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

This time I am glad you lost your drone. Flying next to an airport well over FPV is a big NO NO NO!...... I can't stand at the statement they are very well aware of me! I am not on the flightpath.... Are you guys insane ? Buffer limits around airports are there for effective reasons, to have free airspace for go arounds. I can't believe you have been authorized without issuing notam and if that's the case you should be prosecuted with CT staff.
2018-1-23
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

Enri Posted at 2018-1-23 00:41
This time I am glad you lost your drone. Flying next to an airport well over FPV is a big NO NO NO!...... I can't stand at the statement they are very well aware of me! I am not on the flightpath.... Are you guys insane ? Buffer limits around airports are there for effective reasons, to have free airspace for go arounds. I can't believe you have been authorized without issuing notam and if that's the case you should be prosecuted with CT staff.

Roger that.  You have no clue on what you are talking about.  This is a residential area which I is 1/2 mile from my home.  The drone disappeared less than a block from friends home that I frequently pass over.  Yes, the tower gives me permission, and I am outside of DJI's brick wall.  Some fly and some don't know the circumstances and criticize.  Enri, the rules were followed
2018-1-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

It's good that you have your contact details on it. Hopefully somebody will find it and call you, I cross my fingers!
2018-1-23
Use props
WilfredFireStee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

2,799.5ft WOW! i lose connection at 300ft, i'd be a sweaty mess at that distance!!! Sorry this comment is not in any way useful. I hope you get the little guy back
2018-1-23
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

NFZ and last flight
2018-1-23
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

2018-1-23
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a tough one.  I hope you get it back like you did the last one so you can find out what happened.

As it is, with the log file you've uploaded, there just isn't a lot to go on as the others have said.  Do you have the cached video you can upload to see if there are any potential clues?  I think in your last one, you could see the video tweaked at the last moment showing that it looked like something out of the ordinary happened.

As it is, it is hard to tell if it just lost signal or if it suddenly lost power and fell out of the sky like your last one.  Have you tried canvassing the neighborhood in the area (and direction) it was headed?  At around 2800' out and 376' up, that is only a roughly 7-8 degree angle.  With the trees and houses of the neighborhood of the home point, it isn't out of the question that the AC went out of direct line of site and would lose signal.  However, if it just lost signal, then the question is why din't it do an RTH?

2018-1-23
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-1-23 05:47
This is a tough one.  I hope you get it back like you did the last one so you can find out what happened.

As it is, with the log file you've uploaded, there just isn't a lot to go on as the others have said.  Do you have the cached video you can upload to see if there are any potential clues?  I think in your last one, you could see the video tweaked at the last moment showing that it looked like something out of the ordinary happened.

Kloo,

I wasn't recording and no video of the flight cache sadly. In the last 30 seconds, something didn't seem right,  laggy control.  I was turning it around to head home when LOS happened.  Of course, you expect for it to reconnect.  I waited about 5 minutes before driving over to the last contact area. Nothing.
2018-1-23
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Hope you find your spark sometime soon.  Here in Canada, we need to keep LOS (line of sight) to a max of 500M.  Good Luck
2018-1-23
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
United States

I am reading of others with loss of craft with GPS Position NoMatch in their logs.  Something I will ask DJI about.
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules