Who flys out of visual range ?
12Next >
3249 42 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Yes I know it’s not best practice, I know it’s against most regulations, but am curious to see who actually flies out of Visual Line of Sight ?

I do regularly as you need to go get some good footage.   I also understand my risk of losing the drone increase dramatically if I do so....but that’s a risk I am prepared to take

Who’s with me and who’s going to flame me ?  :-)
2018-1-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I did that, I do that, only just a bit more carefully, right now.
The GO4 App chrashes "a bit" to often, lately.
Interesting part of that: It even ends/continious 46 pic Panos on its own, as long the RC connection to AC is stabil.
Which gives time to even restart the device for a fresh try.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

It is easy to fly it out where it is hard to see because it is so small.  However, I don't know what you mean that you need to fly beyond visual sight to get footage of something.  Your subject is too far up for you to see the drone while it records?  Or, the walker with tennis balls on its feet that your grandma loaned you, won't quite take you far enough to be within visual range of your subject?

My boots came with with the turbos so I can walk within visual range of my subjects (car, barn, horse, pond) before I launch the drone.  Alternatively, I drive over near the subject.

I think it is rude to fly the drone so far away from me that only other's, and their property, are endangered if it comes down or flys away.  I should be on the scene.  Is noting that you apparently have the mobility of an old lady with a walker, a flame?

2018-1-22
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do but try to do it in "safer" areas. When I'm flying in town I keep it LOS religiously. Out in the country I've had it over 5000 ft away. That's definitely out of sight.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sir, please note the range of FCC of spark is 2 km and 5.8 G of Australia follows FCC certificate. I would recommend you fly with 5.8 G to decrease the chance of disconnection. Please pay attention to the power of your spark. I would recommend you fly in recommended environment. Thanks for your support.
flight environment.PNG
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That depends on the environment - hardly ever with the Spark
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-22 23:55
It is easy to fly it out where it is hard to see because it is so small.  However, I don't know what you mean that you need to fly beyond visual sight to get footage of something.  Your subject is too far up for you to see the drone while it records?  Or, the walker with tennis balls on its feet that your grandma loaned you, won't quite take you far enough to be within visual range of your subject?

My boots came with with the turbos so I can walk within visual range of my subjects (car, barn, horse, pond) before I launch the drone.  Alternatively, I drive over near the subject.

If i'm flying over water, or doing some wildlife footage (which if you have seen my videos, is mostly what I do), then it is not possible to walk with the drone...nor could i run the 1+KM in the 2 minutes it takes the spark.

I do not fly in populated areas or over people. (excluding my family when I've filmed them), so yes I do break regulations....but I also do it responsibly if that's possible...lol
2018-1-23
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I always keep it in LOS or I ask a spotter to do so when I want to focus on shooting pictures/movies.
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Here are a couple of my vids.     Couldn't have done them if I flew VLOS

2018-1-23
Use props
Kirbz252
Second Officer
Flight distance : 360138 ft
Australia

I ended up out of VLOS over the weekend and almost gave myself a heart attack. My batteries had self discharged, and I took flight at around 59% power.

Around 30% I went to bring the drone back and completely lost it in the sky. As the power continued to drop I panicked and hit RTH in the hope I’d regain my bearings on the screen. It then stated “landing” which I believed was incorrect and tried to fly it in the hope I’d gain audible directional info. Finally, it went into critical landing mode and I heard it above me. Sparky touched down in my hand at 6%

Turns out at 110m high, it doesn’t sound anywhere near you.

Lesson learned. Sometimes you have to trust the tech.
2018-1-23
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I try only to fly within visual line of fight, should anything go wrong.
2018-1-23
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

It's winter here and I'll take it to its limits o er frozen lakes. Burn up and down the abandoned beach and such. Or fly over a sand dune out of sight. Hit a few branches and broke a few props so far but I don't intend to change much til so I g and the water thaws. Life on the edge I guess.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 02:38
Here are a couple of my vids.     Couldn't have done them if I flew VLOS

https://youtu.be/l0GfpFxoAY4

Cool vids!
2018-1-23
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 00:15
That depends on the environment - hardly ever with the Spark

"That depends on the environment - hardly ever with the Spark"

+1  Never with the Spark, all the time with my other DJI platforms
2018-1-23
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I always fly VLOS for many reasons, with the Spark and my other drones. Firstly my PfCO requires it, secondly, my insurance requires it, and finally having the walking ability of " the mobility of an old lady with a walker" due t a muscle wasting diseased I cannot walk that far anyway. If I cannot get the shot without doing that I go somewhere else closer too.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-23 05:54
"That depends on the environment - hardly ever with the Spark"

+1  Never with the Spark, all the time with my other DJI platforms

I did reach 1.1KM in a CE area without an OTG with the Spark but the lag and poor wifi transmission quality to my iPhone made it one of the most nervous flight experiences I've ever had. Never again with that drone. Always fly in VLOS with the Spark now and never more than a few hundred metres away.
2018-1-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 02:35
If i'm flying over water, or doing some wildlife footage (which if you have seen my videos, is mostly what I do), then it is not possible to walk with the drone...nor could i run the 1+KM in the 2 minutes it takes the spark.

I do not fly in populated areas or over people. (excluding my family when I've filmed them), so yes I do break regulations....but I also do it responsibly if that's possible...lol

Good point.  Water would be difficult and I think there is an unwritten rule that spark flights have to be over water.  How far across water do you have to go to get the shot?  I have a kayak and have been a mile off shore but would never fly my little Spark over water.  Too risky to fly it far and over hostile ground.  

I noticed in your videos that you edit.  Your videos could be done within VLOS, cutting each scene/location together like I do, but it is easier to just do it in one long flight.  Beach, then further down beach, then standing on the dock, then end of dock, etc.

Walking on ground, I can get anywhere and close enough to wildlife to hit them with my Bowtech compound bow (15 yards).  Your case is different, but I think a lot of long flight are long so the people being bothered by the drone can't see the operator and report/beat him.  He is safely hiding at his home as he strafes the nature walking trail.  The trail being well within walking distance.
2018-1-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

embayweather Posted at 2018-1-23 05:57
I always fly VLOS for many reasons, with the Spark and my other drones. Firstly my PfCO requires it, secondly, my insurance requires it, and finally having the walking ability of " the mobility of an old lady with a walker" due t a muscle wasting diseased I cannot walk that far anyway. If I cannot get the shot without doing that I go somewhere else closer too.

The "old lady with a walker" is a jest.  Most people not realizing the joy/privalege in having the abilty to walk to stay within VLOS of the drone.  Prefering not to when they darn well could walk to stay within VLOS.

My videos are mostly of the $500 Segway Mini Pro.  It is a Segway with optional knee or handlebar steer.  A lot more stable than a hoverboard and it quickly just becomes an extension of your feet.  So as I get more unmobile with age, I can still get around.  Would that Segway work for you?

At 4:10 you can see how I fly the spark far but keep it in eyesight
2018-1-23
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I never fly out of a 500m radius 120m high cylinder, its geofenced but fly FPV off the screen 90% of the time.  If you have hawk eyes you should just barely see a phantom at 500m distance.
2018-1-23
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Nope. Never have. I can get great footage while keeping it in sight.
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Interesting feedback.  I had assumed that most people flew outside of VLOS, but looks like I’m wrong about that.    Well, what can I say, I didn’t choose the thug life....it chose me.  ;-)
2018-1-23
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

the spark is so small its very easy to fly outside of VLOS
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

m1n1s Posted at 2018-1-23 13:17

yeah...very true.  Anything more than 100m is already hard to work out orientation
2018-1-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 12:46
Interesting feedback.  I had assumed that most people flew outside of VLOS, but looks like I’m wrong about that.    Well, what can I say, I didn’t choose the thug life....it chose me.  ;-)

I have seen the movies Crocodile DunDee and Quigley Down Under.  All Australians are thugs
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-23 13:29
I have seen the movies Crocodile DunDee and Quigley Down Under.  All Australians are thugs

But have you seen Priscilla, Queen of the Desert ?
2018-1-23
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly spark to where I can't see it all the time.  Normally I have a clear open view of the area it is in, it is just so small it can't be seen.  I have a whale feeding area about .5 miles down the beach, definitely can't see the spark as I fly over this area.  
2018-1-23
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

I have definitely done it to set my highest altitude
2018-1-23
Use props
WaveatDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 157618 ft
United States

m1n1s Posted at 2018-1-23 13:17

I find going out 800 ft puts the Spark in a situation where you are potentially out of VLOS just because of the size.

A friend put one of these on his Mavic - https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1C21KEAHG&psc=1 - which significantly improved daytime visibility. I am considering putting one on the back side of the back arm of the Spark and seeing if that helps with keeping VLOS within the 500 - 1000 FT area.
2018-1-23
Use props
djiuser_gjJYmBS
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-23 00:03
Sir, please note the range of FCC of spark is 2 km and 5.8 G of Australia follows FCC certificate. I would recommend you fly with 5.8 G to decrease the chance of disconnection. Please pay attention to the power of your spark. I would recommend you fly in recommended environment. Thanks for your support.

Elektra, is this correct?? Australia is EC unless you set to 5.8G, then it's FCC?
SmartSelectImage_2018-01-24-08-46-20.jpg
2018-1-23
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

WaveatDave Posted at 2018-1-23 15:13
I find going out 800 ft puts the Spark in a situation where you are potentially out of VLOS just because of the size.

A friend put one of these on his Mavic - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VW74XYF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1G9D1C21KEAHG&psc=1 - which significantly improved daytime visibility. I am considering putting one on the back side of the back arm of the Spark and seeing if that helps with keeping VLOS within the 500 - 1000 FT area.

Wow...that looks pretty sweet!

Todd in Chicago
2018-1-23
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

djiuser_gjJYmBS Posted at 2018-1-23 17:25
Elektra, is this correct?? Australia is EC unless you set to 5.8G, then it's FCC?

I have contacted DJI a couple times, as well as in the forum, and response has always been that Australia is under FCC power outputs.

In my experience, when flying in the right environment, I have never been led to believe that to be untrue.
2018-1-23
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-23 09:49
The "old lady with a walker" is a jest.  Most people not realizing the joy/privalege in having the abilty to walk to stay within VLOS of the drone.  Prefering not to when they darn well could walk to stay within VLOS.

My videos are mostly of the $500 Segway Mini Pro.  It is a Segway with optional knee or handlebar steer.  A lot more stable than a hoverboard and it quickly just becomes an extension of your feet.  So as I get more unmobile with age, I can still get around.  Would that Segway work for you?

Gunship, please do not worry. I know it was a jest. I take no harm from it. I have always tried to make my disability a bit of a laugh, especially as that is how I feel sometimes. I had not thought of a Segway, but I have been thinking of replacing my mobility scooter with a quad bike. I could get to so many more interesting places with my drones then!
2018-1-24
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

My aircrafts don't leave my or my spotters line of sight. Same reasons others have pointed out.
2018-1-24
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_gjJYmBS Posted at 2018-1-23 17:25

I can reach 3km using 5.8, switching to 2.4 degrades the signal.
2018-1-24
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

I definitely can't see the Spark when I'm flying among the clouds.

Yes, yes I know, it's not right. Sometimes you have to break the rules to get that perfect shot.

2018-1-24
Use props
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

And I guess sometimes you get arrested and your drone confiscated.  I don't think a felony is good for anyone's future.
2018-1-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Mr Sparkle Posted at 2018-1-24 05:09
I definitely can't see the Spark when I'm flying among the clouds.

Yes, yes I know, it's not right. Sometimes you have to break the rules to get that perfect shot.

All paparazzi say that.  My thought is how do you see an incoming Cessna at that height from the ground.  You can't even clear the area around a drone that far away.  A Cessna would be tiny and hard to find in the sky.  

I ask because I have seen cities from that height, in a rented Cessna.
2018-1-24
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Actually...that’s a good point.  I do fly out of VLOS, but only out, not up.   I always stat below 120m because of potential risk to aircraft and I find 120m is already high enough to get great views.
2018-1-24
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

That's why I am glad I live in the Czech Rep. I can fly up to a 300m height without breaking the rules. As to fly out of VLOS ... I can't do that even if I wanted to. My maximum distance I was able to fly was about 420m with an OTG cable so ... nope, I never fly out of the VLOS .
2018-1-24
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-24 12:32
That's why I am glad I live in the Czech Rep. I can fly up to a 300m height without breaking the rules. As to fly out of VLOS ... I can't do that even if I wanted to. My maximum distance I was able to fly was about 420m with an OTG cable so ... nope, I never fly out of the VLOS .

Isn’t 420m out of VLOS anyway ?  The thing is so small, all you can see is a speck, not what orientation.
2018-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules