Doing Compass Calibration after Home Point established
2230 26 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I have been thinking about this for a while.  If we turn on our Phantom at establish home point lock then do a compass calibration it would appear that our home point could be elsewhere.  If the compass is off, how can we establish a good home point lock? Could this be related to some of the fly aways?
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I will return later to read any responses.  I have to go!
2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

How could it be elsewhere if you do it in the same spot?
You could still have a home point set with a bad compass if you had adequate Sat's..or at least I am pretty darn certain you can as you let your sat lock set up before you do the compass dance..no sat lock, no compass dance
If you can't get a confirmed sat lock or compass cal you should not fly in the first place..
If you were to turn on Phantom, get sat lock and drive down the road and do the compass dance I suppose your initial home point could be elsewhere but who the heck does that?
Did I miss something? If so, maybe too little caffeine this a.m.!
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The Phantom compass has absolutely nothing to do with GPS home lock, all its for is to tell the Phantom which way its heading.
2015-4-24
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

I have noticed with mine that I can turn it on let it acquire satellite lock, do my compass calibration and then check the find my phantom section of the app it would still show my last home point.  Usually if I wait at this point another minute or two, or power down just the phantom and power it back up it would be at my current location..
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

busclas Posted at 2015-4-25 03:22
I have noticed with mine that I can turn it on let it acquire satellite lock, do my compass calibrat ...

That is a good idea to power down after compass calibration.  I will be sure to do that.  I was wondering about the bad things that might happen if it was done differently.
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

And thanks to you all for your input.  I thought the compass would be related to the GPS fix. That clears things up for me.
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I know I keep banging on about it but I really don't see the point of calibrating the compass all the time, as in my view this can lead to errors where its not done correctly or subject to magnetic interference.
I have been flying for over 8 months now and only did the compass calibration on day 1 out of the box, unless you are traveling 1,000s of miles between flying it is not necessary to keep on doing it.
Just my view and I have nothing against users doing it every flight, as long as its done right...
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

John,  I guess the Phantom can decide and give the light signal that one is needed. Is a hundred miles within your comfort level?
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yes it is, as I live in England my whole country is within my comfort level...
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-24 23:29
How could it be elsewhere if you do it in the same spot?
You could still have a home point set with  ...

North, Perhaps you did have a little too much coffee this AM. No problem!  We all get a little short sometimes
2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

No problem,
Did you get the answers you were looking for?
Damn caffeine!...I should see if Nrg's avatar has a twin!
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Hey North, Thanks......Enjoy your day1
2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-25 07:13
Hey North, Thanks......Enjoy your day1

And you.
P.s....that individual you were looking to find out where from on the P3 forum is from the  warwickshire area apparently, he/she was looking for someone to do some filming with a drone or something....
2015-4-24
Use props
homer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 612457 ft
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-25 06:14
Yes it is, as I live in England my whole country is within my comfort level...

I agree that the Home Point would not need the compass, but compass would not be needed for 3 GPS locks or more. I assumed you should calibrate when moving to different locations 25-30 miles. Now I wonder what it is for. Backup for GPS system?
2015-4-24
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

homer@paddocks. Posted at 2015-4-25 07:40
I agree that the Home Point would not need the compass, but compass would not be needed for 3 GPS  ...

compass sets course lock,  it determines the heading the front is facing and locks it in ,, that is 1st set of flashing green lights.

gps sets home point lock--that is second set of green flashing lights.

best to have both sets if using GPS mode otherwise it has no home
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-25 07:36
And you.
P.s....that individual you were looking to find out where from on the P3 forum is from th ...

Oh, I see.  I thought so, based on the language.  I need to catch up on my reports, I'm one down. Thanks for the pinpoint location.
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-25 07:36
And you.
P.s....that individual you were looking to find out where from on the P3 forum is from th ...

North, I see the private message option has been removed.  There can not be any more of those messages that we can't read.  Tahoe Ed advised on another thread.
2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-25 09:14
North, I see the private message option has been removed.  There can not be any more of those mess ...

Just letting you know that there is another thread elsewhere in the P3 forum with that exact information/location....Hope you can find it useful for what you were looking to do with it...
2015-4-24
Use props
homer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 612457 ft
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-25 08:41
compass sets course lock,  it determines the heading the front is facing and locks it in ,, that i ...

Thanks, That makes sense, is there really a barometer in these things.
2015-4-24
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

homer@paddocks. Posted at 2015-4-25 09:56
Thanks, That makes sense, is there really a barometer in these things.

I cant say for sure but have seen it posted  that is how it knows elavation
2015-4-24
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-25 09:17
Just letting you know that there is another thread elsewhere in the P3 forum with that exact info ...

North, What do you get when you spell Guy backwards?  Yug....  Is there a possibility?
2015-4-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-26 00:18
North, What do you get when you spell Guy backwards?  Yug....  Is there a possibility?
that is not the reference i was making, it was with regard to some very, very threatening comments that frankly made me sick they were even allowed to be left up for several days before the individual who posted them scrambled the words (again on the P3 forum!) but still legible if you fill in the blanks....
2015-4-25
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Oh, I know.  I just went to an older post and mentioned the Yug thought. Rather than put it on a more recent post
2015-4-25
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

I normally toggle my S-2 switch after lifting off just to make sure I have the correct home point. To me,  It is just a little extra insurance.
2015-4-25
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Larry...Sounds good!
2015-4-25
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

When you reset your HP by toggling S2 switch 5 times, you will get a quick blinking green lights. It says you have to move 10' before you can do it. I haven't had any problems doing it.
2015-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules