1226 25 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

Hi everyone,

OK, so there's a bunch of us now who have acquired DJI Mavics, Sparks and Phantoms and we're planning on going on a joint outing ... is this potentially a bad idea? Has anyone had any experience flying with friends, specifically are there any known issues such as RC interference with a bunch of drones flying in close proximity? The group dynamic thing and actually figuring out whose drone is whose once in the air could possibly be a whole other thread ....

Cheers!
2018-1-23
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Shouldn't be any interference between drones as all will be using 2.4Ghz system. As for determining who's drone is who's you might be advised to add a little colour to the underside so you have a fair chance of recognising yours.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I read in the manual or some official source a while back that you should not have more than 3 flying in close proximity to each other at the same time. Stand several feet away from each other’s RC’s and be sure to coordinate you flight paths and altitude to prevent mid air collisions. And don’t active track each other’s drones LOL Good luck and have fun!
2018-1-23
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I tried 2 times with a friend with Mavic, both times I experience interferences (but no major problem!), but the collision is Possible - so we decided to say out loud our hight - like ATC in order to keep different altitudes.
Good luck
2018-1-23
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't get too close to your buddies. I was exchanging aircraft with a mate and on passing over the controllers one aircraft flew off on its own for a short period of time. We put it down to interference due to the close proximity of the controllers. Fingers were well away from the sticks.
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-23 03:16
Shouldn't be any interference between drones as all will be using 2.4Ghz system. As for determining who's drone is who's you might be advised to add a little colour to the underside so you have a fair chance of recognising yours.

We thought brightly coloured camera tape for the ID bit, good to know about the lack of interference. Thanks Bigga
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 03:22
I read in the manual or some official source a while back that you should not have more than 3 flying in close proximity to each other at the same time. Stand several feet away from each other’s RC’s and be sure to coordinate you flight paths and altitude to prevent mid air collisions. And don’t active track each other’s drones LOL Good luck and have fun!

Always wanted to have a pair of drones active tracking each other ....
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

alex_markov Posted at 2018-1-23 03:37
I tried 2 times with a friend with Mavic, both times I experience interferences (but no major problem!), but the collision is Possible - so we decided to say out loud our hight - like ATC  in order to keep different altitudes.
Good luck

Good point about the physical collision tip! Now that would be devastating!
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-1-23 03:39
Don't get too close to your buddies. I was exchanging aircraft with a mate and on passing over the controllers one aircraft flew off on its own for a short period of time. We put it down to interference due to the close proximity of the controllers. Fingers were well away from the sticks.

Scary stuff fly always, especially with another drone near by! Thanks for the tips.
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-23 04:39
Flying with friends is a blast.  I have flown RC concurrently with a couple dozen people all at once without interference.   Just don't stand right next to each other.  Maintain slightly different altitudes & sound off your intended actions or maneuvers so the other pilots know what to expect.   It can be great fun!

https://youtu.be/9OQugUKxl3E

Awesome clip! Inspirational! Good advice about calling out altitude too. Thanks!
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beeworld Posted at 2018-1-23 04:44
Always wanted to have a pair of drones active tracking each other ....

Try it but keep your finger over that pause button
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with at least 6 guys every weekend 3 Mavics 2 phantom A, an 1 phantom 3s. Without any interference. Haven’t tried to active tracking each other but we do play follow the leader. Sometimes there’s 10 to 15 of us.
2018-1-23
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Woe Posted at 2018-1-23 06:11
I fly with at least 6 guys every weekend 3 Mavics 2 phantom A, an 1 phantom 3s. Without any interference. Haven’t tried to active tracking each other but we do play follow the leader. Sometimes there’s 10 to 15 of us.

You've convinced me - a bunch of us are going out for a group flight this weekend, weather permitting! Thanks for all the replies.
2018-1-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beeworld Posted at 2018-1-24 02:33
You've convinced me - a bunch of us are going out for a group flight this weekend, weather permitting! Thanks for all the replies.

Fly safe and most of all have fun.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

nominate to each person a certain height for them to fly in - colliding into each other is perhaps the biggest risk - individual height planes will prevent this
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Flying with friends is a blast.  I have flown RC concurrently with a couple dozen people all at once without interference.   Just don't stand right next to each other.  Maintain slightly different altitudes & sound off your intended actions or maneuvers so the other pilots know what to expect.   It can be great fun!

How can you always reply with revelant videos
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

wow! You took the drones so far! nicely done!!
2018-1-24
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Woe Posted at 2018-1-24 06:37
Fly safe and most of all have fun.

Always!  : )
2018-1-25
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-25 01:59
LOL I guess I just have a done a lot of different type flights.  We tried doing 5 birds on a joint Litchi mission but kept having timing issues.  One bird always seems to want to act up.

Here is something I'd love to see.  A system where the drones communicate among themselves directly.  One drone is set up as the "Master" drone.  That drone is either manually piloted or can be set up with a waypoint mission.  All the other drones are assigned as "Slave" units & each is set to mirror the "Master" at a specific alltitude/distance/angle.  i.e. +10' alt, 20' distant, 180° (directly behind).  In flight the "Master" is constantly transmitting current speed, heading, altitude, etc. & any slaves follow & adjust themselves accordingly.

Couldn't this be achieved with the auto Tracking function?
2018-1-25
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Brilliant stuff guys, loved both to bits.
I will be waiting for the next instalment ...............

Stay safe guys,  bye
davawt
2018-1-25
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It all sounds great, I will need to get some drone friends together and try that out......... bye davawt
2018-1-25
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

Just fly at different altitudes
2018-1-26
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

So the group flight has been postponed due to adverse weather .... approaching 40 degrees C and wind at 27 kph - not fun. Maybe next weekend?
2018-1-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Even better than the first one, guys.  I loved the extended story version.  Nice story telling and flying.
2018-1-27
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I've done this a few times - and with racing drones. Usually when we fly the AP drones (like the mavic/phantom/etc) we just all stay with in a certain height. Never really had a problem.  -- With our RC planes tho, we do try to take eachother down.
2018-1-27
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

When we fly together the main problem is who is at what altitude
2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules