Can CrystalSky be used as DLSR external monitor?
15879 29 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EDGE & the Wall
New
Flight distance : 139304 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Quick one, I'm a big fan of multipurpose tools and assets.
Always ready to put the price for a good product, I was wondering if I can use the CrystalSky as external monitor and plug in my DSLR via HMDI cable.

Will it work? Can I use the CK for both drone and DLSR shooting?

Thanks for your help and your work, all the best.
Al.
2018-1-23
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

I once saw someone install a 3rd party app (i think is called EOS Remote) onto the CS that can make the CS function as a DSLR external monitor
2018-1-23
Use props
broadlandboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Crystalsky doesn't accept HDMI input
2018-1-23
Use props
EDGE & the Wall
New
United Kingdom

broadlandboy Posted at 2018-1-23 09:17
Crystalsky doesn't accept HDMI input

Thanks, but, how does the remote transmit to the CrystalSky then?
Sorry, must be obvious but I don't get it.

Thanks for your reply!
2018-1-23
Use props
EDGE & the Wall
New
United Kingdom

SteWong Posted at 2018-1-23 09:15
I once saw someone install a 3rd party app (i think is called EOS Remote) onto the CS that can make the CS function as a DSLR external monitor

Sounds like a track to follow, thanks for the tip!
2018-1-23
Use props
broadlandboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

EDGE & the Wall Posted at 2018-1-23 11:00
Thanks, but, how does the remote transmit to the CrystalSky then?
Sorry, must be obvious but I don't get it.

Either USB or WiFi
2018-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This issue was mentioned here before. At this moment there's no DJI developed nor 3-rd party approved solution in form of a dongle or whatever, but rumors are that they're working on it. Nothing officially announced, as usual.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D463%26typeid%3D463
2018-1-23
Use props
EDGE & the Wall
New
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-23 17:54
This issue was mentioned here before. At this moment there's no DJI developed nor 3-rd party approved solution in form of a dongle or whatever, but rumors are that they're working on it. Nothing officially announced, as usual.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=123017&extra=page%3D2%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D463%26typeid%3D463

Thanks Matt!

I was wondering if someone already tried to install the Canon Camera Connect app via APK and use the CS as external monitor for Canon DSLR?

I know, the Canon app is dreadful, but it could be a first step for using the monitor in this way.

Also, what about the latency on this product?
I assume Dji reduce it at the minimum with a Drone use, but it may increase with a 3rd party app?
2018-1-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

EDGE & the Wall Posted at 2018-1-23 23:40
Thanks Matt!

I was wondering if someone already tried to install the Canon Camera Connect app via APK and use the CS as external monitor for Canon DSLR?

I'm not sure if this particular app can be installed on CS. I'm trying to become more familiar with CS Ultra Bright since I bought it few days ago. Comparing to iPad Air2 OS, the Android OS on CS is still less featured, less rigid and reliable, I must say. As for latency I don't see much of improvement when used with Cendence RC, although this is the best scenario, I assume. This (CS) product is in it's infancy, I'm afraid. The image is beautiful and crisp, but firmware/software need to be ironed and de-bugged, as usual with DJI products...
2018-1-24
Use props
EDGE & the Wall
New
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-24 01:03
I'm not sure if this particular app can be installed on CS. I'm trying to become more familiar with CS Ultra Bright since I bought it few days ago. Comparing to iPad Air2 OS, the Android OS on CS is still less featured, less rigid and reliable, I must say. As for latency I don't see much of improvement when used with Cendence RC, although this is the best scenario, I assume. This (CS) product is in it's infancy, I'm afraid. The image is beautiful and crisp, but firmware/software need to be ironed and de-bugged, as usual with DJI products...

Thanks for this feedback Matt, really useful.
2018-1-24
Use props
Glenn Aitken
New

United Kingdom

I use the crystal sky with the Panasonic GH5 as monitor... Works awesome via wifi
8BBDF43B-CFEC-4205-8899-489C25760F7F.jpeg
5C6987B8-969E-415F-876A-52555AFDB395.jpeg
2019-4-22
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Glenn Aitken Posted at 4-22 04:55
I use the crystal sky with the Panasonic GH5 as monitor... Works awesome via wifi

WoW. Did you install a Panasonic app on the CS? How did you connect the WiFi?
2019-4-24
Use props
Jason James
lvl.3
Flight distance : 827487 ft
Ecuador

It's nice to see that we can get some functionality via the camera manufacturers app, but now how do we mount it on a camera cage/coldshoe solution? I have the 5 inch version, and it seems like the holes on the bottom are made for specific DJI RC mounts and are not standard so I'm not sure how I would go about it.

Would probably be more practical to download the Panasonic app on my cell phone and mount it on top of a cage with a cheap adapter.... I know, not nearly the same brightness but half the hassle and 1/4 of the weight!

It sure would be nice if they would build in connectivity between the Crystal Sky and the Ronin though, that seems pretty logical to me!
2019-5-17
Use props
OceanKnights
lvl.2
Flight distance : 618698 ft
Sweden

Swedrone Posted at 2019-4-24 00:49
WoW. Did you install a Panasonic app on the CS? How did you connect the WiFi?

Yes it works. Downloaded the Panasonic Image App from  APKPURE.com

:-)
2020-10-23
Use props
Hawkowl
lvl.1

United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-23 17:54
This issue was mentioned here before. At this moment there's no DJI developed nor 3-rd party approved solution in form of a dongle or whatever, but rumors are that they're working on it. Nothing officially announced, as usual.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=123017&extra=page%3D2%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D463%26typeid%3D463

Bummer.  I'd love to hook CSky to my Fuji camera.  The camera can communicate with the drone, it's too bad it can't send a signal to the monitor.
2020-11-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hawkowl Posted at 11-9 11:33
Bummer.  I'd love to hook CSky to my Fuji camera.  The camera can communicate with the drone, it's too bad it can't send a signal to the monitor.

Wait a minute ... If the camera (Fuji) is communicating with the drone, then the drone must communicate with RC. Therefore RC is providing the image to CrystalSky, isn't? Fuji>drone>RC>monitor ... Unless you're trying to remove the drone+RC from this chain and connect Fuji directly with CrystalSky ... Last time I checked some 2 years ago, no wired HDMI connection was possible. Perhaps Fuji developed some Android app to connect the monitor wirelessly?

Kevin?
2020-11-9
Use props
gsteve
lvl.2
United States

OceanKnights Posted at 2020-10-23 03:25
Yes it works. Downloaded the Panasonic Image App from  APKPURE.com

:-)

Can't thank you enough for sharing this info – just downloaded the app and loaded it on my Crystalsky 5.5 and it appears to work fine – appreciate that...! I'll try to pay it forward...
2021-10-6
Use props
djiuser_j8FDYwnDkXvd
New

France

Parfait pour les utilisareurs de  DSLR Panasonic . Qu'en est-il des utilisateurs de Sony Imaging Edge? Apres plusieurs tentatives Apparemment incompatible.
2022-2-16
Use props
impulse819
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2629724 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's 2023 everyone and there's finally a light at the end of this "crystalsky as external monitor" tunnel....even brighter as you can also use it as a recorder.
I have a attached a photo of my solution working with my Sony A7sII camera as a monitor and it can also record videos as the camera is recording as a backup or redundancy.
I can tell you this far, as long as you have an hdmi source, you will be able to use your Crystalsky to record anything from camera outputs, computer video signals and even your game consoles. Also, given it has 2 micro SD card slots this will be great as you can expand storage for recorded footage.

I just discovered this tonight but if there is any other interest in this solution do let me know so I can make a proper step by step video tutorial and have these monitors running out in the wild again!

Thanks everyone!
2023-1-3
Use props
GilbertLau
lvl.1

Hong Kong

impulse819 Posted at 1-3 07:19
It's 2023 everyone and there's finally a light at the end of this "crystalsky as external monitor" tunnel....even brighter as you can also use it as a recorder.
I have a attached a photo of my solution working with my Sony A7sII camera as a monitor and it can also record videos as the camera is recording as a backup or redundancy.
I can tell you this far, as long as you have an hdmi source, you will be able to use your Crystalsky to record anything from camera outputs, computer video signals and even your game consoles. Also, given it has 2 micro SD card slots this will be great as you can expand storage for recorded footage.

How could you do that?  Can you explain more?  I plugged in HDMI to CrystalSky, but nothing happened
2023-1-10
Use props
alxrj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785525 ft
United Kingdom

Also very interested in this, how have you done this? many thanks!
2023-1-23
Use props
UgoFly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6843596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Finally someone did it!
How did you do? I'm very much interested.
2023-1-24
Use props
impulse819
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all your interest everyone, i am currently filming the process and will upload a youtube link soon! stay tuned!
2023-1-25
Use props
impulse819
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is the video guys, thanks for being patient =)
2023-1-26
Use props
UgoFly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6843596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

impulse819 Posted at 1-26 12:42
https://youtu.be/efU7jxUtmIM

Many thanks for the video!!! However, having to buy the Mars X since I don't have it, I don't know if I should sell the CS (if I find someone who still wants it) and take the Feelworld.
Anyway, thanks again for your kindness.
2023-1-30
Use props
EQBView
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

impressive . . I assume you can use the HDMI out from the CS to place into another source
2023-4-23
Use props
OctaRapha
New

Switzerland

You are my HERO
Am I dreaming? Is the day finally here?
Thank you so much!
2023-8-24
Use props
impulse819
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

EQBView Posted at 4-23 18:42
impressive . . I assume you can use the HDMI out from the CS to place into another source

yes you can. Out to a tv or a projector
2023-9-30
Use props
impulse819
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OctaRapha Posted at 8-24 01:52
You are my HERO  
Am I dreaming? Is the day finally here?
Thank you so much!

You are most welcome, wouldn't call myself a hero but just a guy who figured it out hehe! i have been using this all the time for our social media shoot and it works amazing. you can also record on the crystalsky and have redundancy saved to its memory cards..
2023-9-30
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24754 ft
Australia

impulse819 Posted at 2023-9-30 14:22
You are most welcome, wouldn't call myself a hero but just a guy who figured it out hehe! i have been using this all the time for our social media shoot and it works amazing. you can also record on the crystalsky and have redundancy saved to its memory cards..

Hmmm.
Wondering if the Hollyland 4K model will do the same, as the X (1080P) model is hard to come by even second hand.
The Hollyview APK installed fine so might need to be a test pilot unless someone has tried it already.
1-3 23:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules