*Introducing Mavic Air*Adventure Unfolds
43385 180 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

The HDR photos looked pretty useless... Actually worse than the non-HDR photos in the video review, above.
2018-1-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-23 11:25
Well, that's slightly creepy... and also that's an FJ not a Jeep.  As for the drone... think I'll hold off and see what others think over time.  As of right now, it's not a big enough leap in tech to really make me bite.

Well I’m sorry if I find certain women attractive.....
2018-1-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2018-1-23 11:53
Well I’m sorry if I find certain women attractive.....

Calm down cowboy, just messing with you.  
2018-1-23
Use props
Mauro's Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 2883140 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Does it have Cinelike D and D-log profiles?
2018-1-23
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

I would love one! I started of my drone journey just a few months back with a Spark and am now regretting not waiting for this one!  My question for the more experienced guys on here though is does this not make the Mavic Pro a little bit redundant?  Why would someone chose the Mavi Pro over the Mavic Air.  Except the range (which from my Spark experience I know will probably be greatly reduced even on the remote control) and longer flight time which can possibly be extended with the addition of a few extra batteries. Perhaps coming from using the spark and having to plan on less than 10 minutes battery life makes 21 mins actually seem decent.
2018-1-23
Use props
Altech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 808091 ft
Australia

What's with the prices of this Drone  e.g. $799 US, but in Australia $1299 AU from DJI store .
2018-1-23
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

bobsma Posted at 2018-1-23 10:15
It's a flying Camera. who cares what it's called. well wait a second. It does have the Mavic Pro Camera. So lets call it the Mavic Air!

With a better bit rate!
2018-1-23
Use props
JoakimR
lvl.1
Sweden

Why the HUGE difference in price between USA and the rest of the world? I was just about to order and saw the ridiculous difference in price.
2018-1-23
Use props
JadeBrewerPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246112 ft
United States

Are there manual camera controls such as ISO and shutter speed?
2018-1-23
Use props
Marv JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 96381 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-1-23 09:23
Well it's finally out of the bag, and I for one, was a little unhappy to see what it was. Not trying to be negative, because I'm sure this is a piece of art and very technologically equipped. But surprised to hear it is using wireless, and the range is shorter than the mavic pro, and flight times were being boasted at 21 minutes...which I know is the same as my P3A, but not anything to be exactly shouting about. To me it looks like a revved up spark, but also a miniature mavic. This may be something great, but for me it's wasn't what I was hoping for. I won't be in the market for one.
I am still very happy with my P3A, and am waiting for the next phantom 5 or whatever, that is full size, has retractable landing gear, and maybe a bit more flying time and a little faster. I like the bigger drone myself, and although I can't throw it in my pocket I don't do any hiking on mountains etc. I get the need for these smaller drones, but I don't really now what market they are hoping to attract, since there is already the spark and the mavic out there. The price too was I thought a bit high. I am prepared to pay more money, but I want a little more machine along with it. Don't know if I will have others thinking the same as me, but it's been interesting to follow this latest release. DJI definitely know how to keep us in suspense. I'm sure a lot of people are very happy........think I'll wait until the next big thing!

Hey, I am with you.
2018-1-23
Use props
Dji-ADM-Frank
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257428 ft
Mexico

I think it's great, the option to save the sticks!!!

someone knows if the remote control can be compatible with the spark?
2018-1-23
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

Wow....shipping on 1/28?  Thats in like a week....

We'll see... ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-1-23
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Tealk Posted at 2018-1-23 08:27
like Aero-Drone said...just a Spark with steroids

Lots of steroids!
2018-1-23
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-23 09:03
Looks like  a Mavic that left the Occusync behind.  Makes sense for the price point.  I would rather the battery clicked in from on top so it couldn't fall if latches wore out.  Does this have more FPS in 1080p than the Mavic camera?  

I seldom have good enough terrain for small drone landing so hope it has hand landing option.  Gesture mode landing in hand with those rearward mounted down facing sensors?

The camera has the same bit rate as a Phantom, that's a big improvement over the Mavic
2018-1-23
Use props
HillsInTheSky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65102 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone remember the film called Batteries not included? It kind of reminds me of one of the little guys in that film.

2018-1-23
Use props
krisp-spark
lvl.4
Australia

lifeofpiluckan Posted at 2018-1-23 12:25
I would love one! I started of my drone journey just a few months back with a Spark and am now regretting not waiting for this one!  My question for the more experienced guys on here though is does this not make the Mavic Pro a little bit redundant?  Why would someone chose the Mavi Pro over the Mavic Air.  Except the range (which from my Spark experience I know will probably be greatly reduced even on the remote control) and longer flight time which can possibly be extended with the addition of a few extra batteries. Perhaps coming from using the spark and having to plan on less than 10 minutes battery life makes 21 mins actually seem decent.

Totally agree with you. I also bought Spark two months ago and now regret not waiting for Mavic Air. I don't care about x km range, how many times do you go 7 km away anyway? For me, the 120 fps, 100mbps and three axis gimbal is so tempting because 2 axis on spark makes it so difficult to make smooth videos.
2018-1-23
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Next step: upward sensors to avoid those pesky trees sneaking up on you from above.
2018-1-23
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I would love one! I started of my drone journey just a few months back with a Spark and am now regretting not waiting for this one!  My question for the more experienced guys on here though is does this not make the Mavic Pro a little bit redundant?  Why would someone chose the Mavi Pro over the Mavic Air.  Except the range (which from my Spark experience I know will probably be greatly reduced even on the remote control) and longer flight time which can possibly be extended with the addition of a few extra batteries. Perhaps coming from using the spark and having to plan on less than 10 minutes battery life makes 21 mins actually seem decent.

For $49 dollars more on Amazon than the price of a Mavic Air, you can get the Mavic Pro with a more robust radio link, remote with data screen, and dual compasses (maybe it has a dual IMU).  Less chance of someone's car stereo or GoPro jumping on your channel and shooting you down.  Or getting compass errors.

The Mavic Air is fills one more niche in the range of user needs.  I like the Spark because its video is great for my needs and it is very small so it doesn't bother people.  If I wanted a bigger drone, it would have to be a Mavic Pro or Phantom for their navigation, radio link, and the Phantom's camera.
2018-1-23
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Elektrica Posted at 2018-1-23 12:38
With a better bit rate!

really?  so a better camera than the Mavic Pro Platinum?  
2018-1-23
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-23 16:11
For $49 dollars more on Amazon than the price of a Mavic Air, you can get the Mavic Pro with a more robust radio link, remote with data screen, and dual compasses (maybe it has a dual IMU).  Less chance of someone's car stereo or GoPro jumping on your channel and shooting you down.  Or getting compass errors.

The Mavic Air is fills one more niche in the range of user needs.  I like the Spark because its video is great for my needs and it is very small so it doesn't bother people.  If I wanted a bigger drone, it would have to be a Mavic Pro or Phantom for their navigation, radio link, and the Phantom's camera.

but the Mavic Air Camera is better then the Mavic Pro Camera?  I guess this is a way DJI can lure Mavic Pro users over to the Air?  
2018-1-23
Use props
A1 Productions
New
Flight distance : 126043 ft
United States

Looks very good.  I think DJI did a great job with this, my favorite feature in the mavic air would have to be the automatic obstacle avoidance that curves around obstacles!  Looks great and is very portable, would have liked to have occusync though.
2018-1-23
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72306 ft
United States

Does it have Follow-me/Descent mode? If so, 800bux will be burning in my pocket.  
2018-1-23
Use props
byronarregui
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67923 ft
  • >>>
Ecuador

I would like to know if Mavic Air can be used with GS PRO  for 3D Mapping.
2018-1-23
Use props
A1 Productions
New
Flight distance : 126043 ft
United States

I do not think this is the mavic’s camera.  I think this is a redesigned spark camera, just with a better sensor and a third axis bar to make it a 3 axis gimbal.
2018-1-23
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

A1 Productions Posted at 2018-1-23 16:52
I do not think this is the mavic’s camera.  I think this is a redesigned spark camera, just with a better sensor and a third axis bar to make it a 3 axis gimbal.

how can you tell? by the size?
2018-1-23
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

This looks impressive!!!
2018-1-23
Use props
RMC Create
New
United States

If the air has this many new features I can’t wait till the next pro. I’m trying hard to resist buying this.
2018-1-23
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I am wondering what real world battery life will be. They are always overstated. For me that might be the biggest issue. If I'm wanting to fly 1.5 miles off the coast to photograph an island it wouldn't have enough juice to make it back if there's any wind.
2018-1-23
Use props
fans6aad9606
lvl.1
Flight distance : 707156 ft
Australia

Looks Fantastic I love that it’s so compact and can achieve so much for us hobby drone flyers
2018-1-23
Use props
krisp-spark
lvl.4
Australia

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-23 11:49
The HDR photos looked pretty useless... Actually worse than the non-HDR photos in the video review, above.

If the HDR is saved also as RAW to a memory card, it will definitely give you much more room for postproduction.
2018-1-23
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

I like about the 3D sensing. To bad it doesn't have the dual compass like the Mavic Pro. If I had to get this it would be to replace the spark and not the mavic pro.
2018-1-23
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious if the iPad mini 4 will fit in the controller.
2018-1-23
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

I would love one! I started of my drone journey just a few months back with a Spark and am now regretting not waiting for this one!  My question for the more experienced guys on here though is does this not make the Mavic Pro a little bit redundant?  Why would someone chose the Mavi Pro over the Mavic Air.  Except the range (which from my Spark experience I know will probably be greatly reduced even on the remote control) and longer flight time which can possibly be extended with the addition of a few extra batteries. Perhaps coming from using the spark and having to plan on less than 10 minutes battery life makes 21 mins actually seem decent.

I think you are right about the Mavic becoming a bit redundant. But, I think that we will see a Mavic 2 later on in the year, maybe early summer. That is what I am really waiting for.  
2018-1-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Souped up spark, trimmed down mavic.
2018-1-23
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

I don't see the point of this... it's a little better than the Spark, but not as good as the Mavic Pro (less range, shorter flight time, etc.).

I hope they come up with an improved version of the Mavic Pro someday. And when they do, I hope I'll be able to use the same batteries and controller that the current Mavic Pro uses.
2018-1-23
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32680 ft
Indonesia

Do i have to regret buying Spark last week? Do i have to say, "I wish I can wait for another week, just for Mavic Air"? No, I love my new Spark. I'll wait for next "real" Mavic.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

e-kitiran Posted at 2018-1-23 18:45
Do i have to regret buying Spark last week? Do i have to say, "I wish I can wait for another week, just for Mavic Air"? No, I love my new Spark. I'll wait for next "real" Mavic.

share your work here!
2018-1-23
Use props
Sunraider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206079 ft
United States

I bought a Spark in November and I’m supper happy with it. Although the Air is clearly a better drone. The Spark has a few advantages. A key factor being price. I was all in for $800 including tax. Fly mor combo, 2 more batteries for 4 total, a custom case, and 6 polar Pro lenses. Which would cover only the Air. The Spark is still smaller. With a slight wind and some cloud cover, it becomes unnoticeable at 100ft or so. No sound and even if you know where it is, it’s hard to spot. I like it because it doesn’t draw a crowed. I have flown with people nearby and no one takes notice. I love the launch/land from palm; I never have to worry where I am launching from. This is something I didn’t see on the Air.

All that being said, I WOULD GLADLY PAY $1000 for a 250g Spark to be free from FAA regulations. Come on DJI shave 50g off the Spark! Take the forward collision sensor off and make the skin and other no essential components a bit more flimsy. I don’t care just free us!
2018-1-23
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72306 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-1-23 18:25
Souped up spark, trimmed down mavic.

Yep. You nailed it.
2018-1-23
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

I am a bit worried about the lack of range

Features

1. What is the maximum control range of the Mavic Air in SmartCapture?

The control range is 8.2–19.68 ft (2.5–6 m).

(See post #1)

* hex *
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules