Wandering Gimbal Problem with X5S in Inspire 2
3963 15 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CP Anson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231155 ft
United States

I own and use my Inspire 2 for professional videography and photography. After the last firmware update, the gimbal started to wander and became unusable. I contacted Advexture.com, where I purchased it and after reviewing the footage I sent them, they contacted DJI and had me submit for warranty replacment and repair. After returning it to DJI repair and having the gimbal replaced, the wandering is less but still quite noticable. Since I also want to be able to use the drone for more locked off shots and handheld on the ground, having a gimbal that stays locked on a target is really important. I recontacted Advexture again (BTW Advexture.com have been amazingly helpful in problem solving. I highly recommend them).  They sent the video to DJI and DJI stated that we know about the problem and are in the process to fix this.

The problem with this response is I am being told by other Inspire 2 Pilots (see InspirePilots.com), that this issue has been going on for a long time and it hasn't been solved. I purchased what I thought was a proffessional product. When something like this goes unresolved, it makes me wonder where DJI's priorities are!

Anyway DJI, please fix this problem.
2018-1-23
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

I've had this issue (I2/X5s). It seems to appear randomly. Sometimes it's fixed by recentering the camera during flight via Go4 app. Left hand of the screen.
2018-1-23
Use props
CP Anson
lvl.3
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-1-23 08:14
I've had this issue (I2/X5s). It seems to appear randomly. Sometimes it's fixed by recentering the camera during flight via Go4 app. Left hand of the screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. For me any time I move the pan or tilt wheel or use the screen to pan or tilt, once I let go, the gimbal continues to move that same direction, more slowly, but it doesn't stop.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

CP Anson Posted at 2018-1-23 08:17
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. For me any time I move the pan or tilt wheel or use the screen to pan or tilt, once I let go, the gimbal continues to move that same direction, more slowly, but it doesn't stop.

Hi Anson, sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing now, firstly, could you please try to adjust the Gimbal Pitch/Yaw smoothness to 0 in Gimbal Settings to see if the gimbal will still move when you let go of the wheel.
If the issue persists, could you please also post the video in Forum? We will help to locate the problem, thank you. GTScreenshot_20180124_170850.png
2018-1-24
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-24 01:13
Hi Anson, sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing now, firstly, could you please try to adjust the Gimbal Pitch/Yaw smoothness to 0 in Gimbal Settings to see if the gimbal will still move when you let go of the wheel.
If the issue persists, could you please also post the video in Forum? We will help to locate the problem, thank you.[view_image]

It may also be worth trying to calibrate the gimbal - via the settings menu in the GO4 App.
Regards.
Allan
2018-1-24
Use props
CP Anson
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-24 01:13
If the issue persists, could you please also post the video in Forum? We will help to locate the problem, thank you.[view_image]

Hello,

I have tested the changes you made including recalibrating the gimbal and as you can see there is still wandering. Notice the top of the fence and roof of the house.

Here is the link:
2018-1-24
Use props
GJ 8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34360 ft
Netherlands

This topic was mentioned earlier under camera connection problems, but it goes further.

After updating to firmware -300 first the Inspire 2 was reacting erratic to yaw inputs, at the same time the gimbal was having a life of its own, both yaw control and gimbal seemed connected and were interfering with each other. Restarting the drone fixed that (I thought).

Now, when using dual controls, whenever I (or rather my cameraman) pan(s) the camera (MUSE 5) the gimbal will return to center position in 1 second, while the gimbal setting is in FREE mode, tilting the camera works oke, both with the camera remote and with the tunrwheel on the master controller. Also I receive warning about lens disconected while the lens is fully connected, no damage or debris. The camera has problems focussing, manual focussing (tapping the screen in DJI GO 4) is needed frequently.

Also, sometimes I receive warning about controller firmware update needed when all firmware is latest available installed.

Inspire is almost new, all firmware (drone, remote and batteries) is supdated to latest version (-300), IOS is latest version (11.2.5). Removing the app and re-installing does not work as suggested by other fora. Changing remotes from master to slave has no impact, other than when changing, the new master indicator flashes red/green in a strange frequency. Changing gimbal mode between follow and free has no impact, looks more like it is not working at all. Testing on the ground without the app makes no difference, the gimbal does not do what the controller tells it to. BIT test of the gimbal at start up works fine.
2018-1-26
Use props
CP Anson
lvl.3
United States

GJ 8 Posted at 2018-1-26 12:38
This topic was mentioned earlier under camera connection problems, but it goes further.

After updating to firmware -300 first the Inspire 2 was reacting erratic to yaw inputs, at the same time the gimbal was having a life of its own, both yaw control and gimbal seemed connected and were interfering with each other. Restarting the drone fixed that (I thought).

Wow, what a mess. Sorry you are having this degree of problems!
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

allanart Posted at 2018-1-24 03:43
It may also be worth trying to calibrate the gimbal - via the settings menu in the GO4 App.
Regards.
Allan

Yes sure, good point, thanks for your supplement.
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

CP Anson Posted at 2018-1-24 10:03
Hello,

I have tested the changes you made including recalibrating the gimbal and as you can see there is still wandering. Notice the top of the fence and roof of the house.

Anson, sorry to know the issue persists, the video will be forwarded to our engineers for further analysis and assistance, I will keep you updated once I hear from them, appreciate your patience very much.
2018-1-26
Use props
GJ 8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34360 ft
Netherlands

Problem seems to be solved, it so happened that the two controllers were on different firmware (as of factory). Feeding them both with the latest firmware looks like solving the problem. No more warnings, cautions and the gimbal works as advertised (so far). It appears thee two were competing each other for the right settings of the drone. All that trouble for a little bit of firmware . But glad it works again.
2018-1-27
Use props
AOA
New

Australia

Hello,

I am having the same problem as GJ 8 with master and slave controller,
Getting the same messages 1. strong interference, 2. lense is disconnected,3. focusing problems 4. gimbal does not rotate and snaps back in to forward position while operating pan on slave controller.
All updates have been done, apps on both i pads are up to date, both remote controllers run same version firmware
Also have weak transition signal warning, this only happens on 1 controller though, regardless if it is in single or dual set up.
I am not sure if these are 2 separate issues however.
Can anyone please help on this one? DJI Mindy?
2018-2-21
Use props
AOA
New

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-26 23:13
Anson, sorry to know the issue persists, the video will be forwarded to our engineers for further analysis and assistance, I will keep you updated once I hear from them, appreciate your patience very much.

Hello,

I am having the same problem as GJ 8 with master and slave controller,
Getting the same messages 1. strong interference, 2. lense is disconnected,3. focusing problems 4. gimbal does not rotate and snaps back in to forward position while operating pan on slave controller.
All updates have been done, apps on both i pads are up to date, both remote controllers run same version firmware
Also have weak transition signal warning, this only happens on 1 controller though, regardless if it is in single or dual set up.
I am not sure if these are 2 separate issues however.
Can anyone please help on this one? DJI Mindy?
2018-2-21
Use props
icantu
New

United States

My issue is almost the same, but when i turn off the slave controller im using to control camera functions, the master works fine. When the slave controller is connected, the pan function for the gimbal will studder then turn, but will snap back to center, the tilt and all other functions work normally.
2018-6-27
Use props
jivago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

After I change main controller during flight mission, suddenly camera turn right and again return to previous state. (Nadir state)
Does anybody have any idea about fixing this problem?
2018-10-24
Use props
fans6f69c57e
lvl.1

United States

Hello and good morning I am having the same issue with my drone I thought it was something that I was doing wrong but I see other people are having the same or similar situation that I am experiencing with my inspired 2 I love my inspire 2 but I can't continue to have these problems with a  ery capable machine. I'm going to reach out to DJI later on this afternoon and have a talk with them to see if there's a firmware that's on the way to fix this situation because it's quite frustrating
2023-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules