United States

Who is paying the million?
2018-1-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You don't say anything about what you intend to use the drone for.  It would be hard to make a choice not knowing that.
2018-1-23
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 15:04
You have my permission if you have a minimum of compassion, a minimum of common sense, a minimum of knowledge about rules and regulations,  and have flown a cheap quad or other RC before.

Just a wee note: Arguing with A CW is a fools errand...
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 14:49
Hundreds/thousands implies that I'm not sure, but let's not argue about that part because we both won't change our minds.

These "hundred of thousand" crashes are people that go to Best Buy and buy it as an impulsive buy, then try to fly halfway through the unboxing. In this case the OP looks like he's doing some research, so I doubt he would be able to crash a DJI drone.

I owned a small toy drone for short, and I think I could have hurt more people with that than my Mavic Pro. With any DJI's drone, if you have a problem you just have to release everything and it's fine, with a toy drone it flies without any logic. Mine had GPS but not well calibrated, so it was doing small fly-aways and all.

For the OP, I voted Mavic Pro, but the more I look into it, the more the Air looks good if it's your first drone. Depends if you want to take the fly more combo or not. If the flymore air was at 900 I would take it.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-24 05:48
These "hundred of thousand" crashes are people that go to Best Buy and buy it as an impulsive buy, then try to fly halfway through the unboxing. In this case the OP looks like he's doing some research, so I doubt he would be able to crash a DJI drone.

I owned a small toy drone for short, and I think I could have hurt more people with that than my Mavic Pro. With any DJI's drone, if you have a problem you just have to release everything and it's fine, with a toy drone it flies without any logic. Mine had GPS but not well calibrated, so it was doing small fly-aways and all.

I said hundreds OR thousands, not hundred of thousands.

And this is why I recommend a tiny 20$ drone that cannot hurt anyone, Your drone wasn't that cheap if it had GPS.

You are right that OP seems responsible and well informed, but that doesn't mean he can fly a quad without problem.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-1-24 05:48
Just a wee note: Arguing with A CW is a fools errand...

Care to elaborate
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 06:04

And this is why I recommend a tiny 20$ drone that cannot hurt anyone, Your drone wasn't that cheap if it had GPS.

It was a 50€ one, China is pretty productive these times ;)

I think it's like for everything, the more expensive model may do more damage in case of problem, but is also more safe. A cheap slasher is maybe less dangerous, but has more chance to loose its chain.

And the host may not be interested in piloting a drone neither. My first flights were fun, but I focus mainly on photographs, piloting is a second part. So why would I fly something without camera ?

This is an endless debate, just fly safe no matter the aircraft.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-24 06:09
It was a 50€ one, China is pretty productive these times ;)

I think it's like for everything, the more expensive model may do more damage in case of problem, but is also more safe. A cheap slasher is maybe less dangerous, but has more chance to loose its chain.

You would fly something without a camera to learn the bascis and NOT crash your camera.

Pretty pointless debate I agree. I am really surprised because on every single quadcopter forum I've been, people always recommended cheap drones before a DJI.
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 13:37
I use the word powerful because the aircraft uses brushless motors and ascends at more than 16 meters per second. Just fyi, the mavic weight about 730 grams not 500 grams

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen statistics but I see a LOT of DJI drones crashes on the Internet. Most of them are pilots error that an advanced pilot wouldn't have done. Brushless motors can cause some real damage like the case where a noob slashed a toddler's eye with his Phantom.

I think crashing can happen to anyone, not just newbs. I think it'll happen less to noobs cause they won't have the guts to push the drone to the limit..I for one won't be messing around with such an expensive toy. I wouldn't want to lose it or break it cause i won't afford a second one.

2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 15:07
What if I bought a second hand phantom 1 that still flies and is offered to me for £30 - thats really cheap and I have common sense, read all the manuals, researched the FAA thoroughly - hell, I've even got a degree - What then?

haha
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-23 15:47
If compact travel is absolutely essential, get the Air. If not the Platinium provides the longest battery life for those epic shots. However, if the quality of the image is of utmost importance, skip the Mavic and go with the P4P.

I'm very satisfied with the Mavic pro image, and its foldable enough to carry in a compact bag while traveling with the rest of your camera gear in it.
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-23 17:52
You don't say anything about what you intend to use the drone for.  It would be hard to make a choice not knowing that.

60-90 second cinematic videos while traveling of scenary and whatever else comes along. Only for fun. Nothing related to generate any income

I'll use premiere pro for the post editing.
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-24 05:48

Well said. Although im really not crazy about the air. It doesn't give it that "professional" look the Mavic pro has. And of corse, the major plus is the Ocusync versus the wifi. I think that's where the win is for the Mavic.

I'd rather dish out the extra 2-300$ to keep this drone as long as it lives!

:crossfingers: that there will be a sale on the MP or MPP before april to give me some time to practice on the country side before my trip to iceland!
2018-1-24
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 06:04

I think the biggest challenge will be touching the controls for the first time (even tho i'll use the simulator to get me practicing).

I heard a hard part was controlling the drone when the camera is facing you, so the controls are opposite to fly it. That's my biggest concern.

For the rest..I watched so many videos to give me an idea of the internal app, and what people do with it.
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-24 06:47
I think the biggest challenge will be touching the controls for the first time (even tho i'll use the simulator to get me practicing).

I heard a hard part was controlling the drone when the camera is facing you, so the controls are opposite to fly it. That's my biggest concern.

First time, go in an open area, take off and go over your head, let it hover sometime and take your time to go through the app. Before take off make sure your RTH's parameters are fine. When you're good with the basic interface of the app, try to fly with the drone facing forward, then continue as you feel.

I've flew RC planes, so I was kind of used to the reverse command, but if after a lot of fly you're still not confident, consider buying a cheap drone to practice.
And after some time, when you start to make pictures you will notice that you mostly pilot with the screen, so the reverse operation is used only when I come to land for me. And even that you can do it facing forward, the magic of quadcopters hehe

And do not forget. If at any time while practicing you feel like you don't control it, do NOT try to correct it, especially if it's facing you. Just release everything, you can press pause button if you are in a specific fly mode.
2018-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mate - I'll save you my life story just buy what you like, learn to fly it safely and most important of all - have fun without putting anyone at risk.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-24 06:38
I think crashing can happen to anyone, not just newbs. I think it'll happen less to noobs cause they won't have the guts to push the drone to the limit..I for one won't be messing around with such an expensive toy. I wouldn't want to lose it or break it cause i won't afford a second one.

It'll happen MORE to noobs. I mean if you start in an open field you should be alright. Good luck!
2018-1-24
Use props
Zimmermanj87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2774298 ft
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-1-23 08:08
Mavic pro and Platinum are basically the same, although Platinum has new ESC and props to give 30min flight time over the Pro 27min (they claim)
Having owned the Mavic Pro I would suggest either Pro or Platinum and Pass on the Air which has less flight time and less range

Is Range really a great Metric to use ? Isn't it according to FAA Regulations you have to be have the drone within line of sight? In real world application on Great conditions you maybe able to see a PH4P 3000 feet away from you on flat land with no obstructions .

Sorry to rant but I've been seeing a lot everyone comparing the range you can fly a drone to as a selling point. Which in reality your not suppose to be flying it out of sight.  
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
United States

Zimmermanj87 Posted at 2018-1-24 08:01
Is Range really a great Metric to use ? Isn't it according to FAA Regulations you have to be have the drone within line of sight? In real world application on Great conditions you maybe able to see a PH4P 3000 feet away from you on flat land with no obstructions .

Sorry to rant but I've been seeing a lot everyone comparing the range you can fly a drone to as a selling point. Which in reality your not suppose to be flying it out of sight.

Not all the countries need to keep a line of sight. And more range mean a better connection, so less chance to disconnect in areas with a lot of interference. And even if it's not in the law, it's always better to have something able to do it " in case of "
2018-1-24
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I'd get the Mavic Air because of it's portability.
2018-1-24
Use props
Zimmermanj87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-24 08:06
Not all the countries need to keep a line of sight. And more range mean a better connection, so less chance to disconnect in areas with a lot of interference. And even if it's not in the law, it's always better to have something able to do it " in case of "

Agreed that it isn't the case for all countries. I would say better connection tho would be one has occusync and the other is over WIFI.  I mean you maybe able to fly it farther but depending on signal would mean if you can safely fly it farther. But I'm coming from a Spark so my flight experience is limited already with distance .
2018-1-24
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zimmermanj87 Posted at 2018-1-24 08:01
Is Range really a great Metric to use ? Isn't it according to FAA Regulations you have to be have the drone within line of sight? In real world application on Great conditions you maybe able to see a PH4P 3000 feet away from you on flat land with no obstructions .

the Air also uses WiFi so in a more urban area you will have a lot more interference and signal drop problems over the Pro/Plat
2018-1-24
Use props
Zimmermanj87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-1-24 08:17
the Air also uses WiFi so in a more urban area you will have a lot more interference and signal drop problems over the Pro/Plat

Hmm only thing I ever experience with the Spark with interference is Bluetooth. Ive flown right up to cell towers with no issue.But I can see a city like NYC this would be a issue. But also with that being said in a urban setting like NYC your suppose to not be flying the drone.

I will say with the Spark and the WIFI the video gets choppy after it flies out aways.  But when I read people saying range I'm thinking flight distance and not video signal strength.   
2018-1-24
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zimmermanj87 Posted at 2018-1-24 08:30
Hmm only thing I ever experience with the Spark with interference is Bluetooth. Ive flown right up to cell towers with no issue.But I can see a city like NYC this would be a issue. But also with that being said in a urban setting like NYC your suppose to not be flying the drone.

I will say with the Spark and the WIFI the video gets choppy after it flies out aways.  But when I read people saying range I'm thinking flight distance and not video signal strength.

farther range mean better and stronger video at closer distnaces. my 1st was a P3 S and while it was good, it didnt have very smooth video feed once you got far enough out, even when still in VLOS the P3 Pro was better until FW updating ruined it
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-24 06:42
60-90 second cinematic videos while traveling of scenary and whatever else comes along. Only for fun. Nothing related to generate any income

I'll use premiere pro for the post editing.

Given that info, I'd go with the Mavic Pro.  It also depends on what quality video you are after.  I've been hearing that the Phantom 4 Pro really does have better video.  Of course, it isn't as portable and co$t$ more.  
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 13:37
I use the word powerful because the aircraft uses brushless motors and ascends at more than 16 meters per second. Just fyi, the mavic weight about 730 grams not 500 grams

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen statistics but I see a LOT of DJI drones crashes on the Internet. Most of them are pilots error that an advanced pilot wouldn't have done. Brushless motors can cause some real damage like the case where a noob slashed a toddler's eye with his Phantom.

We really shouldn't rely on OA and think it will save noobs from crashing.  Obstacle avoidance is far from reliable.

I think it is a bad idea to ever rely on (trust) ANY automated system that involves safety.  You have to be ready to override any automated system in case the automation fails in any way.  And there are many ways it can fail.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-24 11:07
We really shouldn't rely on OA and think it will save noobs from crashing.  Obstacle avoidance is far from reliable.

I think it is a bad idea to ever rely on (trust) ANY automated system that involves safety.  You have to be ready to override any automated system in case the automation fails in any way.  And there are many ways it can fail.

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. Some noobs trust way too much OA
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-24 08:06

Not all the countries need to keep a line of sight.

My purpose is not to argue the point, but you make an interesting statement.  Of all of the posts I've read, I have never seen anyone state that their country does not require flying in VLOS.  I know there are MANY (maybe majority) posts where people do fly out of sight.  But, technically, are there really places where you are not "required" to maintain sight of the drone?
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-24 11:36

My purpose is not to argue the point, but you make an interesting statement.  Of all of the posts I've read, I have never seen anyone state that their country does not require flying in VLOS.  I know there are MANY (maybe majority) posts where people do fly out of sight.  But, technically, are there really places where you are not "required" to maintain sight of the drone?

I guess countries with no law at all, probably in East Europe, Africa.
I fly in Belgium, and usage of drone is illegal, so technically VLOS doesn't really matter, but I keep it for security reason of course, this is common sense
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United States

Will #3 flyaway
2018-1-24
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

As a newbie, the Mavic Air would be good for you.. more safety features, cheaper and has some great enhancements
2018-1-24
Use props
rawright54
lvl.4
United States

I'd go for the Mavic Pro; if the cost difference isn't too great, I'd upgrade to the Platinum. Both come from the factory set for Beginner level, and that's a nice feature - it limits your range while you're learning. After you feel confident in your ability to control the beast, you can shut that off and release the demon!
2018-1-24
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-24 11:36

Most countries have the VLOS rule and 120 m AGl.  
Icelandic drone laws.

9. Remotely piloted aircraft flights shall always be conducted within visual line of sight of a
remote pilot or an RPA observer of a remotely piloted aircraft. However, a remotely piloted
aircraft weighing less than 3 kg may be flown beyond visual line of sight of a remote pilot in
case of flights outside densely populated and habited areas, provided that spacing is ensured
and provided that the flight does not threaten persons, animals and manned aircraft or causes
damage to property or disruption to bird colonies or wildlife habitats.
2018-1-25
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

rawright54 Posted at 2018-1-24 19:08
I'd go for the Mavic Pro; if the cost difference isn't too great, I'd upgrade to the Platinum. Both come from the factory set for Beginner level, and that's a nice feature - it limits your range while you're learning. After you feel confident in your ability to control the beast, you can shut that off and release the demon!

That's the plan. Hopefully the prices will drop on one of them and i can take advantage of a student discount!

Thanks.
2018-1-25
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

so the votes have gone up for the Mavic Air...hmmm
2018-1-25
Use props
Dwazzer
New

United Kingdom

Some really good deals on the Pro now...I’d get that one ;)
2018-1-25
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

Dwazzer Posted at 2018-1-25 12:43
Some really good deals on the Pro now...I’d get that one ;)

What deal?

Its regular price at 999 and 1299 fly more combo...I'm looking every 2 hours if the price drops lol. I really want one but I know it will drop eventually to make room for a MP 2
2018-1-25
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

Mavic Pro Platinum or if you have the patience to wait - DJI might make another product announcement end of Q3 beginning of Q4 this year.  Might be worth the wait, especially if it'll be several years before buying your next.  Nothing worse than buying a drone to only have an newer updated be released within the same year.
2018-1-25
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

Im going to Iceland in April so definitely want one !
2018-1-25
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Just because something is newer, doesn’t make it better. Sometimes a tried and tested product is a better choice.
2018-1-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules