Return to home defaulted to 0.
571 5 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansda9600a7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5351 ft
United Kingdom

On my last flight the inspire lost the signal and went into RTH mode. It was flying above  100m . The screen went blank. I looked up for it, but it wasn’t visible.I heard it crash into some nearby trees. When I checked the settings, RTH was set at 0. I had set it at 30. It had started to descend immediately the signal was lost. I did not override the RTH. Why did it default to 0 ? The manual says that if the inspire is flying above the RTH height, the drone will return in horizontal flight. I believe that DJI owe me a repair.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sir, I'm so sorry for the accident, did you recover the drone? If the drone is still in warranty period, please contact our support to start a ticket for data analysis. We will help to figure out the reason, thank you.
2018-1-24
Use props
Donnie - Apple
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Couple of points regardoing the go app  RTH setting:
If you updated the Go app for example or updated the AC sometimes these settings can change, ( or if the Go app is not connected to  to the RC  and AC this will default to 0 as well )  I always check them on occasion to be sure they did not go back to defaults with the entire system fired up .   I dont think the default  "0"  caused  the AC  to descend like that , If it is above the RTH height it stays at that altitude so if at 100m would just fly horizontally( as you had mentioned )  home then descend .

NOTE ***The Settings to be accurate  must have the Aircraft powered ON as well The RC transmiter and the Go App.  If for example you are seeing the RTH set to "0" value but ONLY have the RC transmitter and the go app powered on you wont get the actual stored value .  The RTH value and many other settings are stored on the Aircraft.  I just wanted to mention this as many users change the values for setting on the go app but dont realize it is not stored there it is stored on the AIRCRAFT and not the go app or RC transmitter . So only change the values when the entire system is fired up or the may not lock .

Also there is a setting for the Main controller Tab/ Advanced Settings/Remote control Signal Lost. :From here there are three settings , what was yours set to ?, It defaults to "Return to Home" but can be set to "Hover"Or "Land" .

Could a low battery be the cause ?  read on for what may have happend to you as it did to me.

Were you low on battery as well  when this all happened ? It may have been in RTH mode but if the battery went to critical level it would begin to descend .  I had this happen once , I got  carried away with the scenery and the first Low battery warning came up and I was still about 4,000 feet away , ( I ignored the first warning , I though I will  turn  around in a bit  but got lost in the moment )  then the video siganl started cutting in and out and I realized I had critical low battery , to late the signal dropped and  the RTH sequence started but not having enough battery power it began to decend and landed, Lucky I was in a wide open area.  The point here is even though my RTH settting was set  a 30 meters with critical battery it did not matter as it will try to land rather than fall out of the sky .  NOT sure if this was your case but just giving an example .

Were you low on battery by any chance ?  So a few possibe scenarios :
1.  "Remote Control Signal Lost" Tab was set to "Land "  and  did just that .

2.  RTH was implemented  when siganl and video were lost BUT the aircraft was on critically low battery  and the AC just  descended immediatly ( normal operation ) only way to overide is to cancel RTH and throttle up .

3. RTH was implemented and the AC was returning home but was to far away and the low batery kicked in causing automatic decent . ( normal operation )

4. Some glitch in the DJI system caused a crash ?  Possible , if so and the above scenarios are not possible , sent it in for analysis or you can post the logs here form the DJI flight list .  It is located on the paper airplane tab just as the app is opening with the pic of inspire in the center OR if you press the top left corner of the main go app page you will find on the top left the DJI logo . At least go over the flight again and see what happened .  It is a very handy tool for flight analysis.

once again sorry for the crash , that sucks !! If you fly long enough it happens . I have 30 + years of RC and have had my share of heartache !!

donnie

2018-1-24
Use props
fansda9600a7
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-24 00:43
Sir, I'm so sorry for the accident, did you recover the drone? If the drone is still in warranty period, please contact our support to start a ticket for data analysis. We will help to figure out the reason, thank you.

es I recovered the drone. The visible damage is four broken  propellors. The drone is over two years old. I played the flight path record and saw a warning regarding a cold battery that I did not see at the time. It disappears quickly. The battery had been fully charged and had been flying 7mins at the time of the crash. The flight record shows that the drone was returning exactly along the the outward flightpath, and was  almost home. The furthermost outward point was 500m, and a message comes up saying Out Of Range.  My iOS is 11.2.5.
2018-1-24
Use props
fansda9600a7
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansda9600a7 Posted at 2018-1-24 08:49
es I recovered the drone. The visible damage is four broken  propellors. The drone is over two years old. I played the flight path record and saw a warning regarding a cold battery that I did not see at the time. It disappears quickly. The battery had been fully charged and had been flying 7mins at the time of the crash. The flight record shows that the drone was returning exactly along the the outward flightpath, and was  almost home. The furthermost outward point was 500m, and a message comes up saying Out Of Range.  My iOS is 11.2.5.

Thank you Donnie for your help. The battery was about 60%. I have checked the drone and after straightening a pin in the camera connection, it appears that the only damage is to the propellers.
This is not my only drone so I have more experience than is shown. I have another inspire and dji account. The temperature that day was 6 degrees celsius.
2018-1-30
Use props
Donnie - Apple 0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

fansda9600a7 Posted at 2018-1-30 09:06
Thank you Donnie for your help. The battery was about 60%. I have checked the drone and after straightening a pin in the camera connection, it appears that the only damage is to the propellers.
This is not my only drone so I have more experience than is shown. I have another inspire and dji account. The temperature that day was 6 degrees celsius.

Did you review your settings as suggested in earlier post ?  ( Land , Hover <,Return to Home )  I have had this happen to me so I feel your pain .
*** still dont understand why it would have decesnded ? Unless the battery warning had something to do with it .  I tested mine and it stayed a the altitude above the RTH point  so I am vexed on yours unless the defualts went to "Land " and Not RTH

*** you u mentioned it started to descend the moment siganl was lost  in the first post , so my question is was it descending and loosiong altitude on the way home   or did it immediatly land. The latter would indicate a battery problem and the former would indicate the setting was for "Land "  

Can you post the flight record here ?  
so happy the damage was mimimal, just  would be nice to know the casue so we can all learn form it .  

donnie .

2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules