Why my footage looks bad?
12710 18 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paavo
New
Finland

Hello!I bought mavic pro almost 5 months ago and usually I have been flying it just for fun. But everytime I want to film, my footage looks really bad. I have been watching all kind of youtube videos and forums to find the solution to my problem and I just can't find it. So my problem is that pictures and videos I take look like 480p or they are kind a blurry and not sharp. I tested to change sharpness settings and it make any difference and even with 4K I have the same problem no matter what settings I use... And ofcourse I always focus when I fly so it's not about that either. So any ideas how to fix it or do I have to send it back to solve this? https://ibb.co/hOtaGw There is one example how my video looks and you can really see what I mean if you look at the trees, it's just one big mess... And yes that picture is from video that I filmed in 1080p so it dosen't seem how it should be... Right?

Thanks!

-Paavo
2018-1-23
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

Are you using the pictures and videos off of your phone/tablet, or are you using the pictures/video directly from the SD card? The video recorded on your phone or tablet will always be low quality.
2018-1-23
Use props
Paavo
New
Finland

I take pictures and videos directly from SD card so yea it's not about that.
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paavo Posted at 2018-1-23 09:07
I take pictures and videos directly from SD card so yea it's not about that.

Do you have a picture or video you can show us. Without either we can only speculate.
2018-1-23
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-23 09:10
Do you have a picture or video you can show us. Without either we can only speculate.

His original posting at the top contains a link to a photo, Woe.  And he's right, the trees on the right side of the photo are quite blurry.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for him as to why.
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-23 09:24
His original posting at the top contains a link to a photo, Woe.  And he's right, the trees on the right side of the photo are quite blurry.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for him as to why.

Thanks. I totally missed it.
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I’m stumped as well. My guess is the long exposures is on and when he tap to focus it blurred out.
2018-1-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Welcome to the so-called watercolor-effect, most often triggered in low light environments and especially when using sharpness settings of less than 0. The consensus is that the effect is caused by perhaps overly aggressive noise reduction in low light or underexposed scenarios, and can be addressed by adding noise reduction in post-production where you have direct control if that's the esthetic you want.
2018-1-23
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Couple things I would try. feedback based on the photo provided, and, assuming there isn't anything faulty with the drone/camera itself.
1. Are you shooting Raw? For images, this retains the most quality and largest file size without any compression, a jpeg file is compressed and becomes pixelated easier.
2. Turn on Focus peaking If you don't already. This will display red lines on the edges of what is in focus. Makes it easier to get tack sharp focus.
3. A hotly debated subject is sharpness and contrast setting, For Raw images, this doesn't matter. It does matter, however, when it comes to video. I would mess with different combinations of sharpness and contrast and find what works best for you.
4. Turn on your histogram, generally, a low ISO will be a better quality image. Shutter speed should matter terribly much unless they are long. small wind breezes will blur the photo with longer exposures.
5. 100% of drone images that make you go "wow" are post-processed. That's what turns an ok image into a great one. the image you provided looks straight off the SD card.

Hope this helps.
2018-1-23
Use props
Paavo
New
Finland

Thanks, I'll try to fix it with these tips. Hopefully it gets better!
2018-1-24
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Paavo Posted at 2018-1-24 02:13
Thanks, I'll try to fix it with these tips. Hopefully it gets better!

Let us know how you make out, i too suffered from the "water color effect", set sharpness to 1, i don't shoot in 4K at all, seems to be a lot better, before editing that is
2018-1-24
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sadly the Mavic records very badly in 1080P.  I only record video at 2.7K and then edit in 1080P.  The image is much better.   Hopefully I will not have the same problem with the M Air I ordered.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi, my guess based on the photo is that you focused on the near ground - the front building is in beautiful focus. i believe mavic camera can focus to infinity but i do not think can focus on near and far objects at the same time
2018-1-24
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1039029 ft
Taiwan

There is known issue with blurred/soft image on Mavic Pro. Did you try to play with sharpness/contrast settings?
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Your image link doesn't work anymore.

Can you RESET your camera setting and take various picture with different exposure? Do you use the gimbal cover when flying?
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

yuumee Posted at 2018-1-24 12:51
There is known issue with blurred/soft image on Mavic Pro. Did you try to play with sharpness/contrast settings?

That is true but OP says his image are a "mess" and looks like 480p. It's not supposed to look like that even if you leave the default settings.
2018-1-24
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1039029 ft
Taiwan

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 13:14
That is true but OP says his image are a "mess" and looks like 480p. It's not supposed to look like that even if you leave the default settings.

Actually, this might be the case. My footage looked like poor 480p when I had issues with sharpness - especially in low light situations.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Paavo, sorry for the late response first. May I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft and RC? Does the same issue remain if reset the camera settings? If still no luck, please kindly upload the original DNG files in SD card for double check, thanks!
2018-1-28
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Take a look @ this video about sharpness.
What can help is beside reset camera an IMU calibriation.

2018-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules