Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MavicAir
1947 72 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FluxSine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65157 ft
United States

It's kind of frustrating. I've enjoyed the spark but if they gave me the option to return and pay to upgrade to a mavic air i would. I wouldn't mind but it should be called the spark air since it is everything the spark is with folding props. Arghh.. I'll hold of another year and wait for a mavic air 2. I imagine it will have a longer flight time, and include occusync with max distance of 7 miles instead of 2.5.. I love innovation but when it makes a $700 purchase obsolete it is a bit of an annoyance.
2018-1-23
Use props
Far_North
First Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Really, who cares what they called it.  It is what it is no matter the name.  They could of called it Droney McDroneface for all I care.  
2018-1-23
Use props
Ardenno
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FluxSine Posted at 2018-1-23 15:36
It's kind of frustrating. I've enjoyed the spark but if they gave me the option to return and pay to upgrade to a mavic air i would. I wouldn't mind but it should be called the spark air since it is everything the spark is with folding props. Arghh.. I'll hold of another year and wait for a mavic air 2. I imagine it will have a longer flight time, and include occusync with max distance of 7 miles instead of 2.5.. I love innovation but when it makes a $700 purchase obsolete it is a bit of an annoyance.

I calling this bad management . It is not DJI fault you decided buy spark at  this time. It is obvious thing they gonna release new drones and they will be more advanced with more cool features and this makes me happy. That’s not mean your current drone getting worse because of this so I don’t understand your unhappiness. You can sell your spark and buy Mavic Air and enjoying fresh technology if that is your wish. Personally I’m not planning buy new Mavic air due I really enjoy drones which I have but one day why not.... planes can be updated.
2018-1-23
Use props
Brambleman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Money. The spark is still hundreds less for a very capable device, which makes it absolutely perfect for a lot of people, including me. Maybe when the next generation of the Mavic Air comes out, i'll have the money then and any problems will be sorted out. I don't feel wronged or gypped by DJI, they are simply progressing along the natural path of putting more in a smaller craft.
2018-1-23
Use props
Brambleman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

JCStorbeck Posted at 2018-1-23 14:38
If this thing uses the same remote as the Spark I may buy it.  I can't find any details about the remote, although since it is using the safe Wifi it might be the same for both units.

The controller is of a fairly different design with removable control sticks. I'm sure in DJI fashion they will only pair with the Air.
2018-1-23
Use props
teknikal90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106601 ft
Canada

they really shouldve released this before christmas.
the spark was my christmas present
2018-1-23
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

I fear that they will have all the efforts to update the App to the new drone and forget about Spark  problems like OTG not working anymore like used to in 4.1.15...
2018-1-23
Use props
stealther
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406486 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-23 14:55
Problem is you can’t purchase Mavic air without RC.

I think not so!
The flymore kit shows the remote, so I would assume it is not supplied as standard. The layout of the remote looks just like the Spark one, i.e. no LCD and the buttons are in the same place.
Would be nice if the Spark one could be used.
2018-1-23
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
Flight distance : 330121 ft
United States

Same camera sensor - I don’t think I am upgrading to the mavic -air, just watched a video on you tube the footage looked about the same - only thing I’d like to have is that 1080p  120 frame rate

Think I’ll wait and see what the next Mavic Pro upgrade is
2018-1-23
Use props
sergio.flor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 798301 ft
Spain

I am happy with my spark but I feel fooled by DJI. I paid 799€ in July by my spark when the price 3 months later was about of half.  400€ or 500€ is a more real price for this drone. Is  unreasonable that the price of DJI drone fallen 400€ in only 3 months  consequently I am feel cheated.
But  I also have more reasons to be pleased deeply disappointed:
- The CE range is only 150 meters ( where is the 500 meters????).
- I paid more money for live in Europe (Spain). 799€ is not 799$.
- The OTG feature has been removed from 4.1.1.18 and now that we are the last monkeys, I am sure that this issue will not be solved.

Unfortunately, I don't have money to throw away but it's a lesson for next DJI launchs.
2018-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5992858 ft
  • >>>
Spain

stealther Posted at 2018-1-23 20:29
I think not so!
The flymore kit shows the remote, so I would assume it is not supplied as standard. The layout of the remote looks just like the Spark one, i.e. no LCD and the buttons are in the same place.
Would be nice if the Spark one could be used.

Think so check this out.

2018-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for that - now that clearly shows what is in the box!
2018-1-24
Use props
Smolly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15712 ft

South Africa

Fix the otg issue on android and I'm happy.
Innovation is a great thing, and trying to stop it is being selfish.
I'm happy, and maybe after a year or so, I'll get something with higher specs.
Besides, this is recreational for most of us.
2018-1-24
Use props
stealther
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406486 ft
Australia

ok... my bad.....;-)
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

I suppose if the MavAir works with spark then owners of MavAir can purchase spark without RC.
2018-1-24
Use props
nucmanchh
Second Officer
United States

I'm thinking about selling an 'in perfect condition' Spark on eBay and buying the Mavic Air. I'm a photographer learning videography. Just thinking but it's serious thinking
2018-1-24
Use props
nucmanchh
Second Officer
United States

I just might take the plunge and sell my 'in-near perfect' condition Spark on eBay and buy the Mavic Air. I'm a photographer who likes the improvements
2018-1-24
Use props
Grmachine
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-24 15:06
I suppose if the MavAir works with spark then owners of MavAir can purchase spark without RC.

Controlers are not interchangeable. This info is from DJI Thor.
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-24 16:15
Controlers are not interchangeable. This info is from DJI Thor.

Thanks Grmachine, that’s about right for dji, they seem to like us buying RC and batteries for each drone.
2018-1-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Smolly Posted at 2018-1-24 01:20
Fix the otg issue on android and I'm happy.
Innovation is a great thing, and trying to stop it is being selfish.
I'm happy, and maybe after a year or so, I'll get something with higher specs.

Very true words! Spark has not become obsolete for most who bought it for what it was made for. Those who need or want more have a new option now. Nothing more, nothing less.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 8899783 ft
  • >>>
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-23 10:58
I like the Spark, and I will also be buying the Mavic Air. I don’t regret buying the Spark, even though it’s only a few week ago.

I agree. Happy with the Spark... still going to buy the Mavic Air.
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1934931 ft
Netherlands

brian_b Posted at 2018-1-23 11:19
Iʻve never experienced Buyerʻs Regret... until now. I cannot help but feel like sucker. Well played, DJI, well played.
I like my Spark, I canʻt fault a company for enterprising, that is all fine. DJI has a drone line like a car company has different models, with trim levels. Although, if I knew this was in the pipe, I would have waited. Who doesnʻt like 4K? What burns is, Iʻll end up likely buying from DJI again, at a higher product. Nice.

Just another way of looking at it:
Who really needs 4K right now?
It eats your SD card, needs more HD space, editing is a pain, most monitor's are unreadable and scale to 200% if you have 4K (so you end up getting about FHD)
I think FHD (as in 1080) is still very good material to work with. UNLESS you want to make some money out of your footage. But in that case you probably would not have chosen the Spark.
Heck, I only shoot FHD right now and get great results.
Resolution is not that important. Getting the right settings, light and composition IS.
Just like 12MP is more than enough for most photographers and still most feel like they need more.
I understand your feelings, but I think Spark is a great tool for it's price.
Hope it made you feel a bit better
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

CabinPete Posted at 2018-1-23 15:28
I see it as a fail. Given the choice I’d still pick the Spark.
The Maivic Air still uses WiFi but now has a warning for the EU market about 5.8.
21 max flight time under ideal conditions so realistically 16?

That is a good conclusion I think.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

AlanIRL Posted at 2018-1-23 15:19
If I was buying for the first time tomorrow I'd still go with the Spark. Best "bang for buck". The Air lacks Ocusync which would be the only reason I would seriously have considered changing.

4K - Who actually finalises a project in 4K? File sizes too big for real world applications and social media etc. I, like most I would presume, am not producing professional projects that are being charged for. And if I was I would be getting a completely different drone anyway.

Very well put!
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-23 15:02
Yes, it seems you have missed a few threads in this Forum ;-) It was launched today.

Hahahahahahaha. LOL
Was Trump elected?
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-23 15:13
From what I can tell, Mavic Air is plagued pretty much with the same issues as Spark, at least for European market.
Limited range (I guess 500m will be max in Europe as connection over 5.8GHz Android to RC has not been sorted out in Spark so also probably not on Mavic Air, too) and unreliable video link (Wifi instead of Occusync or Lightbridge). I am eager to see how Mavic Air will do regarding the fly-aways, especially "free" devices and how it will be handled. The good point is there are finally proper frame rates available (24, 25fps).

Very true, although 'we' must fly Line of Sight. So 500m should be sufficient. Provided you still get a decent video link.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

rick bernotas Posted at 2018-1-23 14:47
The only extra things I care about on this Mavic Air over the Spark are the reverse obstacle detection and slightly longer flight time.  Not worth upgrade for me.  I think if you want all the other super high end features then Spark was not the right drone for you in the first place...  For the rest of us, I think we can be more than happy with our Sparks, and upgrade years down the road when the future drones are far superior to even this Mavic Air, cost far less and have much longer flight time.

I think Spark is mostly good for it's price. Maybe except for the lack of framerate options (25fps).
If you 'need' more, Mavic Pro was the way to go.
Now you have one more option to choose, that gives a little bit of both drones.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 14:28
The irony of this thread is that for months people have been talking about what is wrong with the Spark.   It isn't 4k, it's only 2 axis, flight time is not enough, only 30fps.

DJI now release a unit that addresses all that in a slightly bigger form factor and now everyone is annoyed?

Spark is a perfect drone for it's price.
Don't forget the Fly more combo of Spark is about € 400,- cheaper than the Fly more of the Mavic Air. (you get one more battery, ok, but still € 350,- more if you add the battery).
So if it had 25fps, I would have bought the Spark.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

rmd610 Posted at 2018-1-23 14:02
Other than 4k (which to some is big, I get it) - I think the Air is not worth the change. The still camera is pretty much the same, and the flight time is not much of an improvement over Spark.  Gimble is cool, but 2-Axis has been manageable.  The fold-able unit is cool, but the props don't fold and are on both top and bottom of the unit, so storage of this thing while protecting the props will be a challenge.   I'll wait for a real upgrade, not just something half-way up from Spark, but a downgrade from Mavic. Too much hype here, I don't think the Air was a good move by DJI.  They should have put more time into a real upgrade.  They missed the boat here.

Well, I don't fully agree. Even though Spark is a great tool for it's price, it misses some features I 'need'.

It might not have been the Mavic Pro 2 that I was hoping for, but that would have been even more expensive I guess.
The Air has some features that Spark does not have that makes it worth the extra money (for me at least).
- framerates that match my other camera's.
- cinematic mode
- waypoints
- raw shooting
- 100MB bitrate (I have yet to see real comparisons btw)

The longer flight time is a bonus, as is the 4K res.

Just like how some buy a zoom point and shoot camera, or a mirrorless and others (like me) have a huge DSLR, or a compact / cell phone for taking pictures.
There was room between Spark and Mavic Pro and that is taken now
2018-1-25
Use props
mr_spark
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 14:28
The irony of this thread is that for months people have been talking about what is wrong with the Spark.   It isn't 4k, it's only 2 axis, flight time is not enough, only 30fps.

DJI now release a unit that addresses all that in a slightly bigger form factor and now everyone is annoyed?

are you working for dji you little fanboy........?
2018-1-26
Use props
Roshi23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 271575 ft
Argentina

I had my spark for 1 month and im loving it would i got the Air if it was out ...yes 120fps 60fps 2.7k is nice more importantly the OTG works? and 100mbits are good things to play with but 4k work flow is to heavy storage and all the rest... most cable companies upscale 720p, let alone 1080i or 4K...one of the best things about the spark in its size oh and the price, which none of the other drones can compete with.
2018-1-26
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

mr_spark Posted at 2018-1-26 01:46
are you working for dji you little fanboy........?

Not at all.  I see many faults in DJi, but also the good.  I have questioned a number of things they have done.

But more importantly I don’t get upset when DJI release a better or newer product and I no longer have the latest and greatest.   My ego can deal with that.  That’s where we differ.   You wanted 4K, you bought 1080, and now are mugged off ??   
I sympathise....I bought a black and white TV 30 years ago...then they go and release a colour TV and my B&W won’t do colour. LOL

2018-1-26
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a Mavic platinum and wasn't impressed.
It shot washed out pictures (My Spark does batter) and I feel the camera was far too delicate.
I ordered a Mavic Air and think it is an awesome addition to the DJI line.
I also have a Spark and an Inspire2 with X5S.
I may sell the Spark later, or I just might keep it.
2018-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules