47900 8183 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

fansf86c59bf Posted at 2018-2-9 12:07
With today’s firmware, all seems ok but gimble head tracking (yaw) wont wont... up/down no issues but not left to right.... the MA head tracking does work... up/down turning MA left to right but not gimble... normal?

The only control you have on the gimbal is up down.  You can not
yaw' the gimbal, only the aircraft
2018-2-9
Use props
iiaXeii
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31047 ft
Canada

But then the option shouldn’t be available in the gimble no?
2018-2-9
Use props
fansbff731ce
lvl.1
United States

iiaXeii Posted at 2018-2-9 12:58
But then the option shouldn’t be available in the gimble no?

I have the same issue.
Through the goggles it explains (under the button you press) that you can control the gimbal up and down (which works fine) and also control the yaw 30 degrees in each direction (which doesn't work).  I don't want these things if you can only move it up and down.  Looking for a solution...
2018-2-9
Use props
fanse851a109
New

United States

Hey folks, I'm ready to order a MA/FMC when I noticed that the offer the white goggles for an additional $299; Seems like a good time to get these now and save $150 over current retail. So I started to google/youtube for folks that have this combination and it leads to this forum. There are a few other threads and a lot of miss-information on this combination and of course, Dji does not chime in to correct the record. So hoping that some here that has this combo and can give me a definitive answer to:

1) Is there a (firmware imposed) distance limit when using the goggles as opposed to the phone/tablet that is not caused by having a beginners fence enabled.
2) When using the goggles, must I also use a phone/tablet to say take-off/land the aircraft or can I use the controller for manual takeoff/rth/land etc.
3) Is there any flight data (maps, telemetry, alarms, etc) that you do not get on the goggles but do on phone/tablet.

Thanks
2018-2-9
Use props
jbogush
lvl.1
Flight distance : 499409 ft
United States

Just my opinion but right now the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air sucks to put it bluntly. Flight altitude limited to 100' and distance limited to about 160' is the biggest buzzkill for me. Second biggest buzzkill is you cannot use a phone or tablet and the goggles at the same time. I really wanted to be able to fly the Mavic Air while sharing the flight experience with another person using the goggles. Can't do it.
The other issue for me is the inability to adjust the focal distance of the image. I wear glasses and cannot use the goggles without them. Using glasses with the goggles is a poor experience and very uncomfortable. The fit of the goggles does not accommodate glasses very well. Yes I know focus fixers are available but they should be unnecessary IMO.
2018-2-9
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was just testing my goggles with the Mavic Air and the camera settings from the goggles seems to be missing.
2018-2-9
Use props
thehose
New

United States

jbogush Posted at 2018-2-9 20:57
Just my opinion but right now the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air sucks to put it bluntly. Flight altitude limited to 100' and distance limited to about 160' is the biggest buzzkill for me. Second biggest buzzkill is you cannot use a phone or tablet and the goggles at the same time. I really wanted to be able to fly the Mavic Air while sharing the flight experience with another person using the goggles. Can't do it.
The other issue for me is the inability to adjust the focal distance of the image. I wear glasses and cannot use the goggles without them. Using glasses with the goggles is a poor experience and very uncomfortable. The fit of the goggles does not accommodate glasses very well. Yes I know focus fixers are available but they should be unnecessary IMO.

Man that is a disappointment. I'm glad you mention eye glasses because I wear those too. Well I guess I'll keep my $299 and skip that bundle. Thanks for the help.
2018-2-10
Use props
Steph !
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3973 ft
France

I have the Goggles RE and the Mavic Air but head tracking does not work at all.
For people who get up/down working, wich Goggles have you ? (white / RE)

I confirm video is now displaying since the new firmware.
2018-2-10
Use props
iiaXeii
lvl.4
Canada

Steph ! Posted at 2018-2-10 09:18
I have the Goggles RE and the Mavic Air but head tracking does not work at all.
For people who get up/down working, wich Goggles have you ? (white / RE)

The up down works on the white one
2018-2-10
Use props
Steph !
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3973 ft
France

I'm sorry, I just noticed head tracking was disabled on my Goggles RE.
I activated it and now up/down movement works.
But not left/right.

I can imagine that if they unlocked up/down, the left/right functionality will be unlocked in a near firmware update !
2018-2-10
Use props
fansac678720
New
United States

How do I change the Liveview on my goggles {RE} from anything other than 720p/30fps. I can’t find the setting anywhere
2018-2-10
Use props
jbogush
lvl.1
United States

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-9 21:51
I was just testing my goggles with the Mavic Air and the camera settings from the goggles seems to be missing.

The bottom-right of the goggles image is the button/icon to activate the video, photo, or camera settings. You use the touchpad and swipe through the three choices.
2018-2-10
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

jbogush Posted at 2018-2-10 14:31
The bottom-right of the goggles image is the button/icon to activate the video, photo, or camera settings. You use the touchpad and swipe through the three choices.

This was missing on my goggles, but is now there since applying the latest firmware update to the goggles.
2018-2-11
Use props
fansb75397b4
lvl.1
United States

fans833df08b Posted at 2018-1-25 13:38
I have the very same question. I asked DJI support via chat and they confirmed that with the Mavic Air you would be able to control the gimbal with head movement. Now that is yet to be seen as I have not found any reviews with the MA and goggles. For me, gimbal control with head movement  is a very important feature with the goggles as it is lots of fun.

I have Mavic Air and Goggles. You can only control up and down with head movement not control the drone movement left and right like you can on the mavic pro. It is a bit disappointing.
2018-2-12
Use props
iiaXeii
lvl.4
Canada

fansb75397b4 Posted at 2018-2-12 09:54
I have Mavic Air and Goggles. You can only control up and down with head movement not control the drone movement left and right like you can on the mavic pro. It is a bit disappointing.

The drone left and right works on the white goggles. Its the camera -30/30 that isnt working... only up and down
2018-2-12
Use props
Linefeed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28005 ft
United States

Got mine set up last night, found the same issue - but I'm not sure that the gimble is capable of being moved left/right much. It's recessed into the nose of the Mavic Air unlike the Mavic Pro and Phantoms'... For me that's not a deal-breaker.

Next flight window I get I'm planning on  hooking the Goggles up via HDMI and mirroring from the iPhone to allow me to fly from the controller while allowing a "passenger" to wear the goggles - unfortunately that means I won't be able to control the Air with the goggles, but still better than not being able to use both...
2018-2-13
Use props
jbogush
lvl.1
United States

Linefeed Posted at 2018-2-13 15:29
Got mine set up last night, found the same issue - but I'm not sure that the gimble is capable of being moved left/right much. It's recessed into the nose of the Mavic Air unlike the Mavic Pro and Phantoms'... For me that's not a deal-breaker.

Next flight window I get I'm planning on  hooking the Goggles up via HDMI and mirroring from the iPhone to allow me to fly from the controller while allowing a "passenger" to wear the goggles - unfortunately that means I won't be able to control the Air with the goggles, but still better than not being able to use both...

What are you using as your HDMI source for the goggles? Not sure I understand the setup you mention.
2018-2-14
Use props
Linefeed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28005 ft
United States

jbogush Posted at 2018-2-14 17:16
What are you using as your HDMI source for the goggles? Not sure I understand the setup you mention.

My thought was that since the Apple HDMI connector has a lightning pass-thru, It  (hopefully) should allow HDMI output from the iPhone AND lightning connection to the controller.
2018-2-15
Use props
MatCham
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21388 ft
France

I've just received my MA + goggles, updated everything to the latest firmware, and have the sale issue : Gimbal tracking seems to only work vertically.
This is very disappointing.
will this be fixed in some futur version ?

+ not being able to use the phone + goggles simultaneously is really, really disappointing.
I about to return everything unless someone from DJI say me that these 2 issues will be addresses in a future firmware update...

?
2018-2-15
Use props
Cycling_Ashley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56762 ft
United Kingdom

Before I connect the goggles to the controller, I have a large range of flight modes.  But as soon as I connect it to the controller they all disappear!  Except for Tap Fly.  Is this just another firmware update I need to wait for? Or are these options only available to the Mavic Pro with Ocusync?
2018-2-17
Use props
bamkelly6
New

United States

I have a MA and goggles on order and am considering canceling.  Has anyone been able to figure out a work around for the distance issue while using the DJI goggles?
2018-2-18
Use props
fans141c812f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11391 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bamkelly6 Posted at 2018-2-18 23:13
I have a MA and goggles on order and am considering canceling.  Has anyone been able to figure out a work around for the distance issue while using the DJI goggles?

Hi this video may help
2018-2-19
Use props
driverseat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1788576 ft
Netherlands

Amazing experience....
2018-2-19
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone with the MavAir tried connecting to their phone and Go4 then disconnecting and reconnecting to the goggles?  Wondering if that’s a work around for the distance issue.....
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_Ocv5i8GdqFAu
lvl.2
United States

I can't get mine to connect at all
2018-2-21
Use props
fansd5480807
New

United States

Mavic air does not connect with the goggles that came with the combo! Phone support told me they are not compatible! Online chat helped me get it to work last night. Wouldn't connect again today and chat support told me that they are only there for sales. Not impressed!
2018-2-21
Use props
fansd5480807
New

United States

fansd5480807 Posted at 2018-2-21 19:00
Mavic air does not connect with the goggles that came with the combo! Phone support told me they are not compatible! Online chat helped me get it to work last night. Wouldn't connect again today and chat support told me that they are only there for sales. Not impressed!

Ok, so I got them to work. I must have had the remote or of sync? I connected with my phone and then while the remote was still synced to the mavic air i disconnected the phone, plugged in the goggles and turned them on. Now it will sync the mavic and the remote without my phone attached. After they sync I plug in and turn on the goggles
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_RmAzAL5orStw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9324 ft
United Kingdom

ROCDESIGN Posted at 2018-2-9 05:00
The Racing edition of DJI Goggles DO NOT connect to the Magic Air. I know, I have them both sitting here for days trying to connect, I get in touch with DJI and they say they are working on the firmware and know that they do not connect.

mine connect fine i also have RE but there are alot of functions missing and can only fly 150 foot or so
2018-2-24
Use props
WILL
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Will try connecting the phone then removing and plugging in the goggles (RE)
2018-2-24
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-2-20 19:13
Has anyone with the MavAir tried connecting to their phone and Go4 then disconnecting and reconnecting to the goggles?  Wondering if that’s a work around for the distance issue.....

That's most likely the only workaround to the "fencing" problem. That's what has to be done on the Phantom too. Turns what would otherwise be an enjoyable experience into a nasty hassle that takes the fun out of it. To my knowledge, the mavic pro is the only drone that allows using the phone/tablet and goggles at the same time, because of ocusync and the goggles connect wirelessly.

I work around this on my P4P and mavic pro by going back to older firmware versions that predate this broken fencing restriction, but that's not an available option on the mavic air. So to use the goggles you'll just have to live with the unplugging and replugging thing.

I've stopped buying DJI drones because of this, because I use the goggles 99% of the time for everything I do, and GO 4 on tablets and phones is so unstable it's just not useable for any kind of serious work or fun. Should DJI fix the goggles so they're an acceptable substitute for a tablet or smartphone I'll reconsider....
2018-2-24
Use props
glirich
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-2-25
Use props
djiuser_mJBhragITi0w
lvl.1
United States

Some excellent help on connecting the Air with the goggles and I understand the limitations with the Air vs Pro when using the goggles, but my question is how would those of you who have flown the Air with the goggles describe your experience? Do the limitations take away too much of the fun? Is it still an awesome experience that you would highly recommend? I'm debating whether to get the Air with or without the goggles and any detailed thoughts/recommendations you can provide on your experience flying the Air with the goggles would be most appreciated... Especially whether the goggles are worth the extra $300 and if you would buy them again in hindsight. Thanks so much!
2018-2-25
Use props
glirich
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_mJBhragITi0w Posted at 2018-2-25 08:14
Some excellent help on connecting the Air with the goggles and I understand the limitations with the Air vs Pro when using the goggles, but my question is how would those of you who have flown the Air with the goggles describe your experience? Do the limitations take away too much of the fun? Is it still an awesome experience that you would highly recommend? I'm debating whether to get the Air with or without the goggles and any detailed thoughts/recommendations you can provide on your experience flying the Air with the goggles would be most appreciated... Especially whether the goggles are worth the extra $300 and if you would buy them again in hindsight. Thanks so much!

good example and test
2018-2-25
Use props
iiaXeii
lvl.4
Canada

I just watched the video in the above post and it does look like you need to connect the phone or tablet first, get home point updated and then connect the goggles to avoid distance limitation.

I watched this other guy here explaning the same for the spark. I haven't tested it but looks like if you go straight to the googles, you will be limited in distance.

2018-2-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iiaXeii Posted at 2018-2-26 04:42
I just watched the video in the above post and it does look like you need to connect the phone or tablet first, get home point updated and then connect the goggles to avoid distance limitation.

I watched this other guy here explaning the same for the spark. I haven't tested it but looks like if you go straight to the googles, you will be limited in distance.

What is needed is the log in to DJI Go 4 App' which is running on the phone. Whether phone or tablet is used, you must log into your DJI Go 4 App' to disable the 30m altitude and 50m radius limitations set in the aircraft.
So when the aircraft is first powered up (Mavic Air, Spark, P4 series), connect to the RC first using the phone/tablet and run the DJI Go 4 App' which has previously been logged into account. On the first screen where it shows picture of aircraft and 'Enter Device', when that changes to 'Safe To Fly' (after aircraft powered up) the display device can be unplugged and replaced with goggles. That removes the 30m & 50m limitation.

So to recap' it is initialisation of aircraft using a device previously logged into DJI account that removes the 30m & 50 limitations. As yet the goggles do not have the ability to sign in (probably because no network connection).

The Mavic Pro is better in this respect as the Ocusync wireless communication from Goggles means that a display device can be connected to the Mavic Pro RC simultaneously.

2018-2-26
Use props
WILL
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Is anyone aware if DJI have any plans to update the goggles so we can log on or get the other features  
2018-3-1
Use props
Nicmaq
lvl.1
United States

It is not acceptable that head tracking does not work as advertized. Up and down is ok. Left right does not work. My understanding is that it won’t work as it’s a limitation of the hardware.
This plus the fact that we can’t have the phone and the goggles at the same time make me think DJI makes false claims when it says they are compatible with the Mavic Air.
They are compatible but you lose all the features that DJI uses for the goggles’ promotion.  The fact that no review points this out makes me think that there are a lot of paid reviews. Pretty disappointed.
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicmaq Posted at 2018-3-3 09:40
It is not acceptable that head tracking does not work as advertized. Up and down is ok. Left right does not work. My understanding is that it won’t work as it’s a limitation of the hardware.
This plus the fact that we can’t have the phone and the goggles at the same time make me think DJI makes false claims when it says they are compatible with the Mavic Air.
They are compatible but you lose all the features that DJI uses for the goggles’ promotion.  The fact that no review points this out makes me think that there are a lot of paid reviews. Pretty disappointed.

I don't have the Mavic Air, but similar rules apply to my P4. The head tracking left right of the gimbal I believe is the limitation on all but the Mavic Pro, where the gimbal can yaw 30 degrees left/right of centre. However head tracking flight control should work, when hovering you would have full 360 degree rotation of aircraft/camera, and vertical movement.

They are compatible with all, the different functionality for each aircraft type is listed in the Goggles manual. They certainly lose most of the intelligent mode choices (At least for now) that the Mavic Pro enjoys.
The one single main benefit with the goggles is having a clear image of FPV, much better than trying to squint at a screen in bright sunlight trying to line up a shot or read instructions/warning messages.

They really provide quite an immersive view, focus adjust would be nice, but they work comfortably well for me with reading glasses (prescription for me, set for reading distance of 9.5 inches for good focus). Ideally for most would be an opportunity to try before you buy.
2018-3-3
Use props
Nicmaq
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-3 11:31

I don't have the Mavic Air, but similar rules apply to my P4. The head tracking left right of the gimbal I believe is the limitation on all but the Mavic Pro, where the gimbal can yaw 30 degrees left/right of centre. However head tracking flight control should work, when hovering you would have full 360 degree rotation of camera, and vertical movement.

Interesting that you’re able to use your read glasses. I tried mine and I can’t. Are you removing the glasses when you’re flying? My guess would be that the eyes focus on long distance objects therefore removing the requirement.
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicmaq Posted at 2018-3-3 14:28
Interesting that you’re able to use your read glasses. I tried mine and I can’t. Are you removing the glasses when you’re flying? My guess would be that the eyes focus on long distance objects therefore removing the requirement.

I wear my prescription readers when using goggles (I also need for far distance as well, all just a touch out of focus without), I took the goggles to opticians who checked my normal reading prescription and customised a pair that allow the image from goggles to be focused for me.

This is an interesting post in a sister thread on Mavic goggles:- https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0303&fromuid=154551
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules