47857 105 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aim16V
lvl.2
Flight distance : 438852 ft
United States

Boba555 Posted at 2018-1-26 03:14
Hi does anyone know the range wearing the dji goggles that you can fly the Mavic Air ?thanks

Hi Bobba,

its about 30 meters only but you can bypass that by connecting your mobile first then disconnect the cable from the side for the mobile and then connect the goggles with the USB port in the bottom and here you go you can go further but remember my friend to be always safe and have a person to look at your drone all the time when using the goggles.
Enjoy it
2018-3-3
Use props
Nicmaq
lvl.1
United States

This is what I have in my tools. Head tracking gimbal on moves up and down.  Can't find the option to have head tracking flight. Do I need to have the GPS signal on? Am I missing something?
It's the Goggles RE.

Thanks!
2018-3-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicmaq Posted at 2018-3-3 17:57
[view_image]

This is what I have in my tools. Head tracking gimbal on moves up and down.  Can't find the option to have head tracking flight. Do I need to have the GPS signal on? Am I missing something?

The 'Goggles RE' use different firmware to the 'Goggles'. The current Goggles RE manual does not list supported functions for the Mavic Air as yet.

It looks as though 'Head tracking flight' is only functionally available on 'Goggles', whether or not DJI would provide it at some point in future firmware builds for 'Goggles RE' remains to be seen.

Only thing I could add is that head tracking support for Mavic Air was just added to 'Goggles' in the firmware build V01.04.0300 released 9th February.

"This update includes an update for the DJI Goggles firmware:
 Added support for Mavic Air: Support for Head Tracking (requires Mavic Air remote controller firmware v01.00.0100 or later); support for shooting and viewing Pano photos; and support for downloading and viewing photos and videos.   "

Goggles firmware updates are listed in the Mavic Pro Release notes. Which can be seen Here

2018-3-4
Use props
Nicmaq
lvl.1
United States

So if I sum it all for new buyers of the DJI Goggles RE.
1. Not working simultaneously with the iPhone on the RC. Either one or the other. Hot swap if you want to remove the 100 feet limit.
2. No  left right head tracking. This seems to be a hardware limitation.
3. No head flight control.
4. Image is blurry if your eyes can’t focus at 9inches. Though you can buy lenses on DJI website. Add $30.
5. Not wireless as the Mavic Air does not support ocusync.
6. Heavy and super bulky.

I think DJI released the goggles too soon (it’s not a product yet, no good documentation). Also, I think they are not transparent on the current limitations/roadmap (really borderline). It’s just a mess at a $550 price tag....  hope they address the limitations real soon.
2018-3-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicmaq Posted at 2018-3-4 08:06
So if I sum it all for new buyers of the DJI Goggles RE.
1. Not working simultaneously with the iPhone on the RC. Either one or the other. Hot swap if you want to remove the 100 feet limit.

In relation to the Mavic Air perhaps, but most of your observations (1,2,3 & 5) don't apply when the Goggles RE are used with Mavic Pro. Points 4 & 6 would apply to all. Bearing in mind the original Goggles were developed alongside the Mavic Pro when released 10 months ago. Also the racing edition do work wireless with the appropriate aircraft (as well as Mavic Pro), they were targeted at the racing community.

Edit:- There is also the potential for additional features to be added to the Air as firmware developes. But that would be down to DJI policy and how they want their products to appeal to different segments of the market.

2018-3-4
Use props
Crew Chief Ken
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11040 ft
United States

Try setting the gimbal mode to FPV.
2018-3-12
Use props
Strydair
lvl.1
Flight distance : 843 ft
Austria

Crew Chief Ken Posted at 2018-3-12 10:01
Try setting the gimbal mode to FPV.

Anyone able to see more than TapFly for intelligent flight modes with the Air?   That's all I see...tapfly.
2018-3-12
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Cycling_Ashley Posted at 2018-2-17 11:27
Before I connect the goggles to the controller, I have a large range of flight modes.  But as soon as I connect it to the controller they all disappear!  Except for Tap Fly.  Is this just another firmware update I need to wait for? Or are these options only available to the Mavic Pro with Ocusync?

Only tap fly at this point with the MA.
2018-3-14
Use props
fans863aac5a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

I am very disappointed with the Mavic Air and Goggles.I m trying to return them but keep the rest of my fly more package.
As mentioned above...

3. No head flight control.
4. Image is blurry if your eyes can’t focus at 9inches. Though you can buy lenses on DJI website. Add $30.
5. Not wireless as the Mavic Air does not support ocusync.
6. Heavy and super bulky. 7.live image at 720p isn't very clear.
DJI screwed up on this one.Hopefully, the next version will address all these problems.

2018-3-14
Use props
vinnybobdog
lvl.1
Canada

My purchase of the DJI Mavic Air goggles package is stalled until its confirmed if you can or cannot control the DJI Mavic Air's camera gimbal yaw with the DJI Goggles.

@DJISupport please confirm difinitively if this is a hardware limitation and will never be supported by the DJI Mavic Air; or if a firmware update is forthcomming to address this issue.
2018-3-15
Use props
fans863aac5a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

vinnybobdog Posted at 2018-3-15 04:25
My purchase of the DJI Mavic Air goggles package is stalled until its confirmed if you can or cannot control the DJI Mavic Air's camera gimbal yaw with the DJI Goggles.

@DJISupport please confirm difinitively if this is a hardware limitation and will never be supported by the DJI Mavic Air; or if a firmware update is forthcomming to address this issue.

Good luck getting accurate Info from DJI support.I have had to call several times and each time I got incorrect information.Better off asking users here on the forum.Many features available with your phone are not available when using goggles.NO YAW With goggles. Also, every time you change the battery on the Air it will revert back to 150-foot max range.This can only be changed with the phone connected and phone and goggles cannot be used at the same time. DJI makes great drones but not so good goggles....all I can say is...Stupid, stupid stupid
2018-3-15
Use props
vinnybobdog
lvl.1
Canada

fans863aac5a Posted at 2018-3-15 12:13
Good luck getting accurate Info from DJI support.I have had to call several times and each time I got incorrect information.Better off asking users here on the forum.Many features available with your phone are not available when using goggles.NO YAW With goggles. Also, every time you change the battery on the Air it will revert back to 150-foot max range.This can only be changed with the phone connected and phone and goggles cannot be used at the same time. DJI makes great drones but not so good goggles....all I can say is...Stupid, stupid stupid

Agreed, so what I'm hearing is if you want yaw on the camera gimbal, and no range nonsense, the Mavic Pro is the only drone to get.
2018-3-15
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

vinnybobdog Posted at 2018-3-15 13:22
Agreed, so what I'm hearing is if you want yaw on the camera gimbal, and no range nonsense, the Mavic Pro is the only drone to get.

I am getting head control on my goggles now (Yaw too). I am satisfied with the video transmission but occasionally get small hiccups. I am sure this is not the case With the Mavic Pro.  I originally bought them to use with a Spark. I think the video might be a little more stable than on the Spark, but since the spark connects to the remote wirelessly, it was possible to connect to the goggles using an HDMI adaptor. This works well when letting someone else wear the goggles while you fly. It absolutely prevents them from selecting any controls since it's not supported through HDMI, and you can still view the screen. I'm hoping for an update that allows both the goggles and the phone to connect at the same time, but not holding my breath. Right now, I connect the phone as I normally would, plug the goggles into the bottom connector, and unplug the connector from the remote to the phone at the connector that goes into the remote. This seems to the the easiest way to get things working without the range limitation. The least they could do though is make the goggles a preferred connection so that I wouldn't have to mess with unplugging each time. The remote should know to disconnect the phone when it detects the goggles.

The one thing that concerns me about flying with the goggles is that they don't seem to save flight records for the Mavic Air or Spark. If something were to go wrong, I think it might be impossible to get at the flight records. Are the flight records saved to the SD card in the Mavic Air/Spark as well?
2018-3-15
Use props
oscarberke
lvl.1
United States

Tom_A Posted at 2018-3-15 19:31
I am getting head control on my goggles now (Yaw too). I am satisfied with the video transmission but occasionally get small hiccups. I am sure this is not the case With the Mavic Pro.  I originally bought them to use with a Spark. I think the video might be a little more stable than on the Spark, but since the spark connects to the remote wirelessly, it was possible to connect to the goggles using an HDMI adaptor. This works well when letting someone else wear the goggles while you fly. It absolutely prevents them from selecting any controls since it's not supported through HDMI, and you can still view the screen. I'm hoping for an update that allows both the goggles and the phone to connect at the same time, but not holding my breath. Right now, I connect the phone as I normally would, plug the goggles into the bottom connector, and unplug the connector from the remote to the phone at the connector that goes into the remote. This seems to the the easiest way to get things working without the range limitation. The least they could do though is make the goggles a preferred connection so that I wouldn't have to mess with unplugging each time. The remote should know to disconnect the phone when it detects the goggles.

The one thing that concerns me about flying with the goggles is that they don't seem to save flight records for the Mavic Air or Spark. If something were to go wrong, I think it might be impossible to get at the flight records. Are the flight records saved to the SD card in the Mavic Air/Spark as well?

Wow, again , I can't believe how many people post things like this that just further confuse the subject.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST YOUR EXPERIENCE, please tell us what VERSION OF THE GOGGLES you have, RE (Grey) or White Goggles (Original).  
It has been reported many times that the White goggles work with head tracking of flight, but the RE version (grey ones) don't.  SO seeing the above post, it means nothing to anybody without knowing the type of DJI goggles that he is referring to.....
2018-4-7
Use props
Ottotto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156811 ft

I have an air mavic and white dji goggles. I can connect, video and all, now the compass needs alignment.  From within the goggles how do you get to the upper most screens that allow home point settings and the compass alignment tool?  Thanks in advance.
2018-4-12
Use props
Shawn Ecv Smith
New

So I just got off the phone with support and they told me that Goggles RE are NOT supported with Mavic Air. Of course this is after assuring me that I would be able to use them with mavic when they were trying to sell me on them when I ordered them. SO frustrating. Has anyone heard a timeline for when the firmware that is going to make the mavic air compatible with the Goggles RE be released?

I am a little nervous about the firmware release because when on the phone she was basically ready to take my info so she could send me a shipping tag to return the Goggles for a refund. I wouldn't think they would be so quick to give back money if they knew there would be a fix soon...

I still dont understand how some folks on here claim to be able to get the mavic airs to work with the goggles RE...? Is the European firmware different than what we are gettting here in the US. I would like to know just so I know how much longer this set of goggles RE that I have can continue its use a s a $700 paperweight!
2018-4-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Shawn Ecv Smith Posted at 2018-4-27 17:39
So I just got off the phone with support and they told me that Goggles RE are NOT supported with Mavic Air. Of course this is after assuring me that I would be able to use them with mavic when they were trying to sell me on them when I ordered them. SO frustrating. Has anyone heard a timeline for when the firmware that is going to make the mavic air compatible with the Goggles RE be released?

I am a little nervous about the firmware release because when on the phone she was basically ready to take my info so she could send me a shipping tag to return the Goggles for a refund. I wouldn't think they would be so quick to give back money if they knew there would be a fix soon...

Latest release notes for Goggles RE show firmware update released 26/4/2018:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf

2018-4-28
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

oscarberke Posted at 2018-4-7 09:37
Wow, again , I can't believe how many people post things like this that just further confuse the subject.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST YOUR EXPERIENCE, please tell us what VERSION OF THE GOGGLES you have, RE (Grey) or White Goggles (Original).  
It has been reported many times that the White goggles work with head tracking of flight, but the RE version (grey ones) don't.  SO seeing the above post, it means nothing to anybody without knowing the type of DJI goggles that he is referring to.....

I have the white goggles. Not RE goggles. It looks like an update is out that fixes head tracks no matter n the RE goggles.
2018-4-29
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft

djiuser_vATkfvATcw5P Posted at 2018-2-7 15:37
One thing to note folks is that you can't use the goggles and your phone at the same time when flying the MA. This means you cannot fly the drone using your phone while letting someone else view the same feed with the goggles. Very disappointing.

The more I read in this thread, the more confused I become....

I bought a Mavic Air a little more than a month ago. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet (8", WiFi only) running DJI GO 4 connected to the remote using the bottom USB connection.

I've been contemplating adding the DJI Goggles to this combination. I almost always fly solo (no "wing man" to help me keep the drone within line-of-sight). I've read here that you can't have both the Goggles and a phone/tablet connected to the remote at the same time. I've also read that the only way to use any of the special flight modes is by using the remote control with the DJI GO 4 app.

How can I wear the Goggles, launch and land the drone, and use any of the special flight modes without the tablet also connected? Or is that a limitation of using the Goggles? If so, I'm a lot less likely to buy the Goggles.

Larry
2018-7-27
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

In fact, thats a bad implementation of Mavic Air into the Goggles. You really are far limited comparing to what you can do with the phone. And DJI has done nothing, nor even a word about that. Mine are getting dust. I never use it although I tried many times with very good will. Its just too basic with the MA leaving you always preferring to use the phone even though the screen is smaller and reflects the sunlight.

Dont buy it. Dont waste your money as I did.  Unless DJI solves everything in a FW update, which is already taking ages.
2018-7-27
Use props
emilio181818
lvl.1
Italy

I have an Air and am considering buying the white goggles. From what I can tell (from these posts and a youtube video), if you update all firmware, the head tracking works for up/down gimbal controls and aircraft yaw. Not for left/right gimbal control, because of hardware limitations. However I am seeing a lot of conflicting information (including a very unhelpful chat with support). Can someone who owns a Mavic Air and white goggles confirm that this is correct, and in particular that the the aircraft yaw can be controlled thru head movements? If it doesn't, I don't really see the point in getting the goggles. Thanks!
2018-12-20
Use props
HighlanderMike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 537854 ft
United States

fans9df3d787 Posted at 2018-2-8 17:38
As others have already mentioned, post a link or delete your reply.  Mine works fine attached via USB cable and an email reply from DJI tech support told me it only works with a cable while the phone is not also connected.  Head tracking works as well.  Since the Air does not use ocusync, we are stuck with a cable, which is not honestly a deal breaker for me.

It would have been nice for DJI to include some coherent instructions on this while selling a bundled Fly More Package with the goggles.  I too assumed it would work without the cable, but this is not the case.

wow so after reading tons of forums on this as I want to get the air and the re goggles, you are one of the only ones that say it works. This is great news can you tell me if this is all working for you? I would not mind having a cable connecting it thanks for the information.
2019-1-3
Use props
FatYellowDog
lvl.1
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-2-20 19:13
Has anyone with the MavAir tried connecting to their phone and Go4 then disconnecting and reconnecting to the goggles?  Wondering if that’s a work around for the distance issue.....

This works.
2019-1-30
Use props
FatYellowDog
lvl.1
Australia

emilio181818 Posted at 2018-12-20 07:43
I have an Air and am considering buying the white goggles. From what I can tell (from these posts and a youtube video), if you update all firmware, the head tracking works for up/down gimbal controls and aircraft yaw. Not for left/right gimbal control, because of hardware limitations. However I am seeing a lot of conflicting information (including a very unhelpful chat with support). Can someone who owns a Mavic Air and white goggles confirm that this is correct, and in particular that the the aircraft yaw can be controlled thru head movements? If it doesn't, I don't really see the point in getting the goggles. Thanks!

This is correct.
"if you update all firmware, the head tracking works for up/down gimbal controls and aircraft yaw. Not for left/right gimbal control, because of hardware limitations."

Take off with the phone, switch to the Goggles.
Mavic Air- White Goggles - iPhone.

M
2019-1-30
Use props
TonyTone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 806532 ft
United States

jbogush Posted at 2018-2-9 20:57
Just my opinion but right now the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air sucks to put it bluntly. Flight altitude limited to 100' and distance limited to about 160' is the biggest buzzkill for me. Second biggest buzzkill is you cannot use a phone or tablet and the goggles at the same time. I really wanted to be able to fly the Mavic Air while sharing the flight experience with another person using the goggles. Can't do it.
The other issue for me is the inability to adjust the focal distance of the image. I wear glasses and cannot use the goggles without them. Using glasses with the goggles is a poor experience and very uncomfortable. The fit of the goggles does not accommodate glasses very well. Yes I know focus fixers are available but they should be unnecessary IMO.

You're crazy. I've taking my MA over 3miles away over 1,200 ft high.
2019-2-24
Use props
djiuser_CwBhKYpv11oc
lvl.1
South Africa

I have both the MA and the DJI goggles, Had some trouble with getting it to work at first, but after a firmware update it all works perfectly, upon connecting my RC to my drone with my phone connected and the DJI GO 4 app everything boots up fine.  If i plug in my goggles with a USB cable while my phone is connected the goggles has no display whatsoever even after firmware updates. The second i unplug my phone the goggles display comes up and starts to work, I have yet to test whether fitting the goggles display to match the phone display would work but i will be testing that this weekend and will hopefullly remember to update this post, i can guarantee all users that the head tracking and flight tracking on both the gimbal and turning axis of the drone works perfectly its just a matter of 1. swipe down with two fingers on the touchpad, select drone gimbal mode(i think its called). 3. your goggles should now track head movement with the gimbal. its an annoyance that its not included in a base tutorial but after an hour or so of tweaking i got it to work, patience is key when dealing things like these goggles as when they were released it did not state in any form that there would be support for the MAVIC AIR.  All in all its a complete waste of money not being able to see a display on my phone as well as the goggles.
2019-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules