OTG functionality on Spark up-to-date
2216 14 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flying_seb
lvl.1

United States

Hey there.

Since I have read so many things and my Spark is on its way to my house, I would like to have some general information about the use of OTG cables with the Spark.

Does it acutally work now and helps getting a better video transmission, or does it not work at all? I am fairly new to all this so I dont know how to get earlier updates etc.

regards
2018-1-23
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
United States

OTG is not officially endorsed by dji at this time for spark.
If you are using an android device you have to have a version of the dji go4 ap 4.1.15 or lower for an otg cable to work.
Using an otg cable DRASTICALLY reduces any latency in the video between the transmitter and device/phone/tablet.
Simply google how to manually install an older version of an ap on android. (iphone- your guess is as good as mine)
2018-1-23
Use props
seanie2322
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2356873 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your using an android device I would highly recommend downgrading the app and using otg cable. I use my galaxy s8 and when connected via WiFi I had terrible lag on the screen and my range was very poor (could not fly farther than 50mtrs).
2018-1-23
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

It seems to be currently working correctly on the newest IOS, released 1/23/2018. But I still have not seen any post indicating DJI approval of its use.
2018-1-23
Use props
flying_seb
lvl.1

United States

I am on android, Huawei P9, so I will install the .15 version and try my best. Hope it will work.
2018-1-23
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

New Version? YES
OTG Working? Nope

Back to 4.1.15...
2018-1-23
Use props
flying_seb
lvl.1

United States

FelBRax Posted at 2018-1-23 16:55
New Version? YES
OTG Working? Nope

Is there something specific you are missing in the 4.1.15 version compared to the higher updates? Is there any change to look at the change log or something for that?
2018-1-23
Use props
WaveatDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 157618 ft
United States

Is the reason the OTG cable such a point of contention because of video lag? It would seem to me that if video lag occurs it is because of dropped packets between the aircraft and the RC and the OTG cable would not have any impact since it is only providing a direct link between the RC and Phone / Tablet.

Please enlighten me on this OTG thing.

Thank you.
2018-1-23
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-23 16:00
It seems to be currently working correctly on the newest IOS, released 1/23/2018. But I still have not seen any post indicating DJI approval of its use.

Yeah, I noticed that it's working again with my iPhone. Happy to have my OTG connection again.
2018-1-23
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

WaveatDave Posted at 2018-1-23 18:27
Is the reason the OTG cable such a point of contention because of video lag? It would seem to me that if video lag occurs it is because of dropped packets between the aircraft and the RC and the OTG cable would not have any impact since it is only providing a direct link between the RC and Phone / Tablet.

Please enlighten me on this OTG thing.

I think it's more that it's just another wireless connection that is prone to interference. It could be completely coincidental, but I do feel like I get more stable video feeds when I am connected via an OTG cable. When my iPhone is connected via wifi to the controller, I seem to get more disconnects or choppy video, even when my Spark is close and within VLOS.
2018-1-23
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Spark uses Wifi from the Aircraft to the controller, and WiFi from the controller to the Mobile Device, hard line OTG eliminates one of those WiFi connections reducing the latency. It is a noticeable difference.
2018-1-23
Use props
WaveatDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 157618 ft
United States

Trip Astute Posted at 2018-1-23 19:04
I think it's more that it's just another wireless connection that is prone to interference. It could be completely coincidental, but I do feel like I get more stable video feeds when I am connected via an OTG cable. When my iPhone is connected via wifi to the controller, I seem to get more disconnects or choppy video, even when my Spark is close and within VLOS.

Trip Astute - thank you for giving me some additional detail on that. That makes more sense with removing one additional radio signal from the vicinity by using the cable.
2018-1-24
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

WaveatDave Posted at 2018-1-23 18:27
Is the reason the OTG cable such a point of contention because of video lag? It would seem to me that if video lag occurs it is because of dropped packets between the aircraft and the RC and the OTG cable would not have any impact since it is only providing a direct link between the RC and Phone / Tablet.

Please enlighten me on this OTG thing.

This video will enlighten you more than any other text explanation ...

2018-1-24
Use props
EvdV
lvl.1
Netherlands

https://forum.dji.com/member.php ... 3D115&type=post
2018-3-10
Use props
EvdV
lvl.1
Netherlands

Someone please delete my last post.

Lack of OTG for the Spark is a real problem in Europe due to the low transmission strength which is allowed.
When you switch the Spark to a 2.4GHZ (<100) channel number the remote uses the 2.4Ghz radio to communicate with the Spark.
But then European wifi devices cannot connect to the 5.8 Ghz band which makes me unable to fly using the stronger 2.4Ghz band with the Drone.
If the spark is at 5Ghz and the phone-remote are on 2.4Ghz the range of the Spark is limited to about 50m.

Please allow us OTG so we can use 2.4Ghz to communicate with the Drone at longer range and the cable to communicate with the phone...
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules