App says firmware update is required even if I updated yesterday?
8234 33 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Yesterday I attached my Mavic Platinum to my PC and the DJI Assistant and updated to latest firmware 01.04.0200.
Everything went nicely and after restart the new firmware was confirmed by the software. I did connect a tablet and start the GO 4 app and no issues were found, did not fly. The tablet was at that point not connected to the internet.
Today I powered up the Mavic and connected the RC and a tablet (with the tablet connected to the internet). When starting the DJO GO 4 app it says that "Firmware Update is required" and it lists the same version that I installed yesterday, 01.04.0200. So, this is quite puzzling to me. I abort the update and enter into the flying mode. And sure enough, the info screen also states that update is pending. But when I go to the "About" menu it says firmware is 01.04.0200(!). I press "check for update" and it again says a new version is available, and it is the exact same as the version that is already installed ! (I double and triple checked) So why is it saying it needs to update?
Anyway, I just gave up and initialized the update again, this time through the app, and it is in progress as I write this (a pointless update from 01.04.0200 to 01.04.0200, this must obviously be a bug either in the firmware of the drone or in the app).
The Mavic is a nice drone when it works and I enjoy flying it, but I can just feel that I am getting a bit annoyed with DJI right now. I have owned the Mavic for less than two months and have not used it a lot. But a lot of the time spent on it has been dealing with miscellaneous weird stuff that it does (or does not), in other words bugs in hardware and software. Stuff like cutting power in mid flight and falling out of the sky (once), and failure to log flight data in the drone (see separate thread about missing flight data), sluggish app performance with android tablets etc. I now feel like I spend 90% of the time dealing with issues instead of flying.
Coming from other types of technical hobbies it seems to me that at this point in time the drone technology and the industry is still quite immature.
Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent a bit.

2018-1-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Might be that your battery or RC needed to be updated, something that doesn't always happen when updating via DJI Assistant if you forget about needing to do so. I always update via DJI Go so that I'm sure at least my RC and current battery gets any needed updates, then add my other batteries and restart the process until done.
2018-1-23
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-23 15:15
Might be that your battery or RC needed to be updated, something that doesn't always happen when updating via DJI Assistant if you forget about needing to do so. I always update via DJI Go so that I'm sure at least my RC and current battery gets any needed updates, then add my other batteries and restart the process until done.

No, it was specifically listed as the drone, and I had the same battery and also the controller connected during the update yesterday.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey there, may I know which mobile device do you use and what's the current APP version? Please try to backup all data and reinstall the APP to see whether the message pops out.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Know that this is definitely not normal or acceptable. You clearly have a faulty unit, because you are NOT supposed to lose power mid-flight.

I also had a huge problem with my Android device. I couldn't fly by FPV because the Live feed was horrible and the pixels didn't even render. Turns out my device wasn't powerful enough, and when I switched devices it worked perfectly. What kind of device do you use?
2018-1-23
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-23 19:50
Hey there, may I know which mobile device do you use and what's the current APP version? Please try to backup all data and reinstall the APP to see whether the message pops out.

The app is latest version (.22). Device is Huawei Medipad T3 10. Yes, I know what the answer will be, this is probably not on the list of "supported devices". Seriously, if DJI advertise that they support Android devices (without any further details), it is horrible business pratice to then have a "hidden" (and very limited) list of "approved" devices. In the future I suggest you have a more visible statement in all your advertising material saying "Warning: Android app only supported on a few select devices".
In any case, the weird confused behavior with repeating the same update when connected to two different devices can hardly be a hardware issue.
And with respect to the the sluggish app behavior, this seems to have started with the latest app update (.22). Before that I did not have noticable app issues. In general I have issues with delays when pressing buttons in the app. For short periods of time I have delays in response of several seconds. This is pretty annoying when this happens during flying, I keep pressing the same button many times since I thought I somehow missed it, then suddenly the app responds to all the button presses. This is totally unsafe in a flying situation. Occasionally there are parts of the camera menus missing, or the menu/symbols does not update until I go out of the menu and back in. App has been reinstalled several times, device even factory reset. The device is a dedicated device for this prupose, clean default install, no other apps installed. As far as I can see I am not alone with issues regarding the Android app.
I guess the "solution" seems to be to buy an iPad. That will cost me 3-4 times the price of my current device and raises the total cost of the drone significantly, so I am not too happy about this option.
2018-1-24
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 21:29
Know that this is definitely not normal or acceptable. You clearly have a faulty unit, because you are NOT supposed to lose power mid-flight.

The power cut happend only once and I have flown several flights after that without any issues. I may have a few theories about what happend, but since I am unable to retreive any logs from the drone I can not really investigate or even report it properly to DJI support.
As for the Android device, see reply above. I had no noticeable issues before the latest version of the app so it does not seem like a obvious conclusion that the device is too weak.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-24 00:01
The app is latest version (.22). Device is Huawei Medipad T3 10. Yes, I know what the answer will be, this is probably not on the list of "supported devices". Seriously, if DJI advertise that they support Android devices (without any further details), it is horrible business pratice to then have a "hidden" (and very limited) list of "approved" devices. In the future I suggest you have a more visible statement in all your advertising material saying "Warning: Android app only supported on a few select devices".
In any case, the weird confused behavior with repeating the same update when connected to two different devices can hardly be a hardware issue.
And with respect to the the sluggish app behavior, this seems to have started with the latest app update (.22). Before that I did not have noticable app issues. In general I have issues with delays when pressing buttons in the app. For short periods of time I have delays in response of several seconds. This is pretty annoying when this happens during flying, I keep pressing the same button many times since I thought I somehow missed it, then suddenly the app responds to all the button presses. This is totally unsafe in a flying situation. Occasionally there are parts of the camera menus missing, or the menu/symbols does not update until I go out of the menu and back in. App has been reinstalled several times, device even factory reset. The device is a dedicated device for this prupose, clean default install, no other apps installed. As far as I can see I am not alone with issues regarding the Android app.

List of approved devices means nothing. Most devices will work even if they're not on the approved list.

Your problem is that your tablet is a cheap chinese one. It's simply too "weak" even if it worked before. Do you have a friend that has a better device? You could try it and see if that's really the problem. You don't want to buy an Ipad and realize that it wasn't a device problem.
2018-1-24
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 06:11
List of approved devices means nothing. Most devices will work even if they're not on the approved list.

Your problem is that your tablet is a cheap chinese one. It's simply too "weak" even if it worked before. Do you have a friend that has a better device? You could try it and see if that's really the problem. You don't want to buy an Ipad and realize that it wasn't a device problem.

If that is the case then it would seem natural that DJI at least would inform their prospective customers clearly in the specs of their drones and the app that there are minimum requirements for the power of the device. That would save many from wasting money on useless devices and would give a more realistic budget for the total cost of the system.
That is, If this is really the problem. I suspect it is not the whole problem.
For what it is worth I can fly my other drone, the  Spark, on an older and even weaker Lenovo tablet using the older .15 version of the same app. So it would seem like DJI has done something that makes the app more processor hungry in the newest versions.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-24 07:08
If that is the case then it would seem natural that DJI at least would inform their prospective customers clearly in the specs of their drones and the app that there are minimum requirements for the power of the device. That would save many from wasting money on useless devices and would give a more realistic budget for the total cost of the system.
That is, If this is really the problem. I suspect it is not the whole problem.
For what it is worth I can fly my other drone, the  Spark, on an older and even weaker Lenovo tablet using the older .15 version of the same app. So it would seem like DJI has done something that makes the app more processor hungry in the newest versions.

Have you tried flying your mavic with your Lenovo?

DJI doesn't want any complains. You can't complain that your device won't work, if DJI never said that it would work.
2018-1-24
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 07:36
Have you tried flying your mavic with your Lenovo?

DJI doesn't want any complains. You can't complain that your device won't work, if DJI never said that it would work.

Now I get a feeling this discussion is getting a bit absurd if you claim that "DJI never said that it would work". If every concern is going to be met with "lawyer speak" like this, then complaining is pointless since DJI was so unclear about the requirements. On the other hand they actually DID implicitly say it would work, since in all their advertising and promotion material there is nothing indicating that this will NOT work. It took a considerable amount of digging lately to find all the information I now have regarding devices that might work or not. I simply want to repeat my previous opinion that DJI need to state clearly up front to any potential customers that even if they say they support Android devices, that does not at all imply that they support the majority of Android devices, they only really guarantee support for a select few. This is all I am missing from DJIs current marketing in this respect.
There are other parts of DJIs marketing that are also at best to be considered "dubious", such as for example their totally fake video with Mavic racing with goggles. Totally unrealistic, and breaks about every single rule and caution stated in their own user manuals and other documetation about what NOT to do when flying your drone. But now we are getting way off topic, let's not go there.
As for the claim that the mentioned device is "too weak" since it is cheap and chinese, I just did some research. And it seems from reviews and benchmarks that this device has the same hardware as many other tablets that reportedly works well with the DJI app. And as far as I can see it is performance-wise well on par with or better than some of the devices listed in DJIs own list.
Anyway, unlike some posters I see on this forum I am not really out just to moan and complain and blame DJI for everthing that is wrong in this world, I am just pointing out stuff that appears to be  frustrating to their customers and is bound to hurt the reputation of DJI in the long run unless they improve their information and marketing (as well as their software quality)
On a completely other note:  in other repsect things are looking good, the weather report for the weekend (Saturday at least) indicate suitable flying weather with sun and freshly fallen snow, and I intend to make the most of it.
And there is a new verison of the app available, we can always hope for improvements, maybe my issues are a thing of the past (one can always hope).
And I will have a shiny new iPAD Mini in my hands tomorrow, I guess I am an impatient sucker and just gave up and am trying pay my way out of the frustration with the Android devices .........
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-24 11:06
Now I get a feeling this discussion is getting a bit absurd if you claim that "DJI never said that it would work". If every concern is going to be met with "lawyer speak" like this, then complaining is pointless since DJI was so unclear about the requirements. On the other hand they actually DID implicitly say it would work, since in all their advertising and promotion material there is nothing indicating that this will NOT work. It took a considerable amount of digging lately to find all the information I now have regarding devices that might work or not. I simply want to repeat my previous opinion that DJI need to state clearly up front to any potential customers that even if they say they support Android devices, that does not at all imply that they support the majority of Android devices, they only really guarantee support for a select few. This is all I am missing from DJIs current marketing in this respect.
There are other parts of DJIs marketing that are also at best to be considered "dubious", such as for example their totally fake video with Mavic racing with goggles. Totally unrealistic, and breaks about every single rule and caution stated in their own user manuals and other documetation about what NOT to do when flying your drone. But now we are getting way off topic, let's not go there.
As for the claim that the mentioned device is "too weak" since it is cheap and chinese, I just did some research. And it seems from reviews and benchmarks that this device has the same hardware as many other tablets that reportedly works well with the DJI app. And as far as I can see it is performance-wise well on par with or better than some of the devices listed in DJIs own list.

If DJI said nothing about it, then you can't just come with your chinese thingy complaining that it doesn't work. There's an approved list for a reason, and that's the reason. They never said that it would work with your Lenovo, you cannot complain.

There's more to a phone than the hardware, Seriously, paying 170 dollars for a 9 inch tablet you won't get quality. DJI is not the problem here, it's your tablet.

I am fairly certain that it will work with your Ipad device. Good luck with that and please report back!

2018-1-24
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Your tablet should have at least 2gb of ram, and kill all other apps running (and in the background)....
Go4 is very resource hungry, every update, it gets even more hungry(er).....
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Observation:

The Go and Go4 apps have grown with time.  They have more features than they did when they came out.  DJI has responded, I'm sure, to problems that have been reported here on the forum.  They have never been good at publicly admitting any fault by accepting that there is a bug or a better logic path needs to be used here or there.  For a device, I'm in the same boat as you, and I accept it.  I bought the most expensive device I could afford at the time to get a larger screen size.  I knew that would likely bite me in the rear in the long run.  Going cheap is rarely worth it down the road.  The program is going t grow.  As of last week, it has grown to the point where I'm having to update my device.  I couldn't do the last update!  Why?  Because there wasn't enough storage available on my iPad, even after deleting all "data" from other programs.  I've been using my iPad Mini2 for three years to fly, and been very happy with it.  I have 3 programs that alone take 10gig of its 16gig memory.  Two of those are DJI apps.  I have since learned how to clean out things that are "buried" in the programs.  Of course, that means they are not available anymore, but at least there is now room to do upgrades.  Due to all of this, I'm updating the pad to a Mini4 128 tomorrow.  It has more memory and a faster processor, as well as a better screen (I'm told).

Now here's a point that I've been wondering about for a long time.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but It seems to me that Go4 is used with most all of the DJI line after the Phantom series.  That means they've added new code segments for the Osmo, Spark, Air, and all of the other aircraft they have added to the line.  Why is it all in the same program?  It seems to me that a nice lean program for each specific product would be in order, rather than asking users to keep upgrading their hardware just to be able to keep flying something that they've had in the air for over a year or more already.  Go4 is getting to be a bloated, power hungry program.  Does it HAVE to be?
2018-1-24
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>
Norway

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 11:34
If DJI said nothing about it, then you can't just come with your chinese thingy complaining that it doesn't work. There's an approved list for a reason, and that's the reason. They never said that it would work with your Lenovo, you cannot complain.

I give up. You completely missed my main point, I might just as well have been talkin to the wall.
I can see now that there is no point in continuing this particular discussion, nothing useful will ever come of it.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-24 12:43
I give up. You completely missed my main point, I might just as well have been talkin to the wall.
I can see now that there is no point in continuing this particular discussion, nothing useful will ever come of it.

Well I give up too. I am in NO WAY arguing with you, I am only trying to help you and explaining why DJI won't help. I don't see why you'd try to argue with someone spending free time to help you at no cost.

I don't know why you're frustrated right now. Basically your device is absolute trash and doesn't work with DJI GO, and now you say it's DJI's fault because they weren't clear about which device is supported.  Truth is, DJI only tested a few devices and have NO IDEA like us if your cheap chinese trash will work with DJI GO 4 app.  It will probably work, but they cannot be sure. IF DJI SAID NOTHING ABOUT IT, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT'S AN ACCEPTED DEVICE!!

No wonder your craft loses power mid-flight
2018-1-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-24 00:01

JensIR, I'm sorry for the confusion. According to your description, it sounds like the misinformation of APP as you have got the latest firmware version. Therefore, I asked the specific type of your mobile device and suggested to reinstall to verify. I apologize if this bothers you. We're trying to help you locate the exact status and your cooperation will be highly appreciated.
2018-1-26
Use props
CasperDUP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36 ft
South Africa

Hi DJI Susan

I have a very similar issue: (Mavic Pro Platinum)
Both AC and RC are on the latest firmware version 01.04.0400 updated via DJI Assistant 2 software on Windows 10.
The DJI GO 4 App on android keeps telling me to update to the version 01.04.0400 even though both are already on that version. If I do proceed and click update I receive an error with Reason:0x640d0103. Android phone is a Samsung Note 8.

Already tried rolling back to previous firmware and re-installing both the Assistant 2 and Go 4 App but no luck, the exact same issue persists.
I have tried to fly the drone but it refuses to take off, displaying a message saying "Cannot Take off".
Can I private message you my account info and screenshots of the serial numbers errors and so forth in order for your engineers to troubleshoot?
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CasperDUP Posted at 2018-7-19 05:52
Hi DJI Susan

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, have you tried to restore factory defaults the aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2? did you tried to use another mobile device to see if the message will still occur?
2018-7-19
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-23 15:18
No, it was specifically listed as the drone, and I had the same battery and also the controller connected during the update yesterday.

The same here as well. Assistant only updates the AC for mew, so I get a notification in the up about needing to update. Running the update in GO will then update the RC (and re-update the AC to the same version)
2018-7-19
Use props
CasperDUP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36 ft
South Africa

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-19 11:42
Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, have you tried to restore factory defaults the aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2? did you tried to use another mobile device to see if the message will still occur?

Hi Tony

Yes, I have tried exactly those two things. The other phone being a Samsung S7 Edge.

Regards
2018-7-19
Use props
Guido-Italy
First Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-23 15:15

Hi Ex Machina I update every time FW like you with DJI Go and some info: during process there aren't information about updating intelligent battery, is it so?
After upgrade if you connect another battery, DJI GO does inform that is necessary to upgrade FW battery?
2018-7-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Guido-Italy Posted at 2018-7-20 03:03
Hi Ex Machina I update every time FW like you with DJI Go and some info: during process there aren't information about updating intelligent battery, is it so?
After upgrade if you connect another battery, DJI GO does inform that is necessary to upgrade FW battery?

DJI GO 4 should inform you, but I don't think it always does during the same active ession, so I always be sure to quit and restart Go 4 before changing batteries, just in case. Hope this helps.
2018-7-20
Use props
Guido-Italy
First Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-20 04:31
DJI GO 4 should inform you, but I don't think it always does during the same sactive ession, so I always be sure to quit and restart Go 4 before changing batteries, just in case. Hope this helps.

thanks for suggestion
2018-7-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CasperDUP Posted at 2018-7-19 22:34
Hi Tony

Yes, I have tried exactly those two things. The other phone being a Samsung S7 Edge.

Would it be possible if you can provide the screenshot of the error message? Thank you.
2018-7-22
Use props
SuperPete
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33455 ft

CasperDUP Posted at 2018-7-19 05:52
Hi DJI Susan

I have exactly the same happening: mavic platinum, RC and Goggles, phone: Google Nexus 6P (powerful enough but officially not supported, while it is a +600$/€ device). Since update 01.04.400 it keeps reporting new firmware available. Already reinstalled app and installed firmware again (for the 5th time now, rebooting all devices, reinstalling app as well), no use whatsoever. No error messages. This is really annoying.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SuperPete Posted at 2018-8-31 06:57
I have exactly the same happening: mavic platinum, RC and Goggles, phone: Google Nexus 6P (powerful enough but officially not supported, while it is a +600$/€ device). Since update 01.04.400 it keeps reporting new firmware available. Already reinstalled app and installed firmware again (for the 5th time now, rebooting all devices, reinstalling app as well), no use whatsoever. No error messages. This is really annoying.

Hi,  Sorry for the inconvenience, Just want to clarify, what is the current firmware that you have?
2018-8-31
Use props
SuperPete
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-31 11:04
Hi,  Sorry for the inconvenience, Just want to clarify, what is the current firmware that you have?

It should be 01.04.400. There are no error messages when installing, it just keeps saying I need to install this version. When flying last friday, first session was OK. 2nd session said firmware inconsisency, update now. When ignoring it, I could fly, but then I kept getting "sys app warning" messages on the remote, losing connection once for a few seconds while in flight.
2018-9-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

SuperPete Posted at 2018-9-3 00:47
It should be 01.04.400. There are no error messages when installing, it just keeps saying I need to install this version. When flying last friday, first session was OK. 2nd session said firmware inconsisency, update now. When ignoring it, I could fly, but then I kept getting "sys app warning" messages on the remote, losing connection once for a few seconds while in flight.

This comes from your batteries. You also have to update firmware on each of the batteries when this message pops up.
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

SuperPete Posted at 2018-9-3 00:47
It should be 01.04.400. There are no error messages when installing, it just keeps saying I need to install this version. When flying last friday, first session was OK. 2nd session said firmware inconsisency, update now. When ignoring it, I could fly, but then I kept getting "sys app warning" messages on the remote, losing connection once for a few seconds while in flight.

Hi, sorry for the late response. If the remote controller says "sys app warning" I would recommend checking your overall status on the application to see what specific problem are you getting and you can provide it to us for further assistance.
2018-9-3
Use props
SuperPete
lvl.1

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-3 03:26
This comes from your batteries. You also have to update firmware on each of the batteries when this message pops up.

really? Each individual battery? I have 6, that's 3 hrs of updates :s Will try next weekend to see if that solves it.
2018-9-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

SuperPete Posted at 2018-9-5 02:29
really? Each individual battery? I have 6, that's 3 hrs of updates :s Will try next weekend to see if that solves it.

Yes, each battery. But it goes much faster for the batteries only, especially if done with DJI Assistant. And you should not fly with them before having done it!
It does not apply to each firmware update, some are just for the aircraft. Nevertheless a check is needed each time in order to be sure.

2018-9-5
Use props
SuperPete
lvl.1

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-5 03:03
Yes, each battery. But it goes much faster for the batteries only, especially if done with DJI Assistant. And you should not fly with them before having done it!
It does not apply to each firmware update, some are just for the aircraft. Nevertheless a check is needed each time in order to be sure.

Thanks for all the help. Mavic Pro and Platinum and all batteries updated to 01.04.500 now, one version higher, and works fine. Sys app warning was for downward vision sensor calibration on the platinum, solved too. Good to fly again without all the alarms.
2018-9-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

SuperPete Posted at 2018-9-14 02:52
Thanks for all the help. Mavic Pro and Platinum and all batteries updated to 01.04.500 now, one version higher, and works fine. Sys app warning was for downward vision sensor calibration on the platinum, solved too. Good to fly again without all the alarms.

You are very welcome! :-)
2018-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules