Share Video with Spark???
2294 13 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Checksum47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11053 ft
United States

So what is the best way to share video with family members?  And by best I mean quickest, easiest and retaining full image quality.  Many times I will go over to my old mans house to fly my drone and when we are done he's like... Can I see the video?  I say sure.  First let me go home.  Hook up the Spark to my computer (Apple/iMac) and Manually download the video (because the Assistant App doesnt even work on Apple/iMac) then I have to drag the video onto a thumb drive and then drive back over to my old mans house and let him drag it off onto his desktop.  
I have tried to just send the video with "Messenger" to him and it does work.  But, it downgrades the video from 1080 to webcam footage from 2001.  What options do other people here use???  
2018-1-23
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

If your dad’s computer has an SD card slot, then eject the micro SD card from the Spark, put it into a micro SD to SD card adapter (likely came with the micro SD card) and insert that into his PC/Mac’s SD card slot. It will appear as an external drive and you can navigate to the videos folders to copy off the videos you want.
You can also make a direct connection using the Spark’s usb cable to the computer. Turn on the Spark and the card will similarly appear as an external volume.
Hope this is useful.
2018-1-23
Use props
Checksum47
lvl.2
United States

I was thinking something where I can download the video onto my computer... possibly edit... possibly not... and be able to send it to him or other family members easily.  I can do this with "Messenger"but like I said, the image quality looks like garbage because "Messenger" must be compressing the carp out of it.  
What about a Private Youtube channel?  Something where I can upload it at full 1080 and then just text him the link?  Would that work?
2018-1-23
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
United States

Checksum47 Posted at 2018-1-23 19:48
I was thinking something where I can download the video onto my computer... possibly edit... possibly not... and be able to send it to him or other family members easily.  I can do this with "Messenger"but like I said, the image quality looks like garbage because "Messenger" must be compressing the carp out of it.  
What about a Private Youtube channel?  Something where I can upload it at full 1080 and then just text him the link?  Would that work?

I use YouTube to post my videos for friends and family.  They're at full resolution and I'm using an editing app on my iPad Air 2 to work with the videos and push them to YouTube.  It works great.
Also, iMovie on the Mac has YouTube export capability.  I've done this with some GoPro Hero footage in the past.
2018-1-23
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
United States

Here's a terrible example of Spark video on my YouTube channel.  As a new Spark owner, I'm still playing with all the features and flying when the weather is good.  Regardless of that, it shows the quality you can get from YouTube and good export settings.  Again, this particular test footage was edited and uploaded using an iPad Air 2 with the LumaFusion video editing app.

2018-1-23
Use props
Checksum47
lvl.2
United States

Yes, but I can post videos as Private cant I?  So I can share them with just friends and family that I might give a link to,  but they wouldnt be searchable to anyone else on youtube.
2018-1-23
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
United States

Checksum47 Posted at 2018-1-23 20:52
Yes, but I can post videos as Private cant I?  So I can share them with just friends and family that I might give a link to,  but they wouldnt be searchable to anyone else on youtube.

I believe you can post private videos on YouTube to do exactly that.  That way you can keep the general public out of your channel and only those you give the link(s) to can see your videos.
Hope it all works out for you!
2018-1-23
Use props
Checksum47
lvl.2
United States

I have found a couple different ways to be able to send video to family members while also keeping them just for family members.  Google Drive (15 GB for Free) Youtube (Private Links) SquareSpace.  
But now I have a slightly different angle to my original question...  How can I keep my footage as HD as possible?  I have seen plenty of "Spark" footage on Youtube that looked Awesome and truly 1080HD.  Yet, mine looks maybe 720 and sometimes even 480...  WTF?
I will describe my basic process...
I will plug my spark into my iMac using the same white cable that came with the spark.  Its USB on one end and plugs into the drone next to the SD card.  After waiting for 10-20 seconds my SD card will pop up on  my desktop as a drive.  I can click on it and drill down a few folders and there will be my videos.  They are MP4 files.  It says the codec is H.264 and the color profile is HD (1-1-1).  So I can select whatever files I want and drag them off onto my desktop.
If I straight away just watch them they look "ok".  Depending on the overall light when Im filming.  Obviously when its brighter out the video looks better.  
This is where I dont really know what to do next to make them look anywhere near as good as almost all the spark videos on Youtube.  I have never seen a Spark Video on Youtube that looks as crappy and lofi as mine.  So Obviously everyone else knows some basic simple trick that I dont.  
Do I have to compress them... enhance them... or is the file type I use just not good and ends up making the video looks bad???\
Anyone know what Im talking about???
2018-1-27
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
United States

If you can post a test video to YouTube and make it public (perhaps create a test YouTube account as well to keep your personal YouTube account private), we might be able to see the video's settings and quality and advise what to do.
You might want to search YouTube for some videos on drone footage editing.  I did some weeks ago and found quite a few interesting and informative videos.  I looked at so many in my search, I can't recall which ones were helpful and which ones weren't.
It does sound like you're not getting the HD (1080p) versions of your footage uploaded to YouTube.  Since I use an editor app that has YouTube uploading built in, I no longer remember what settings to put into YouTube's web interface. Also, it seems like YouTube takes a few minutes or more to make the higher definition videos available for viewing. It will make the low res available first.  You might want to check the viewing options (little gear near the bottom right corner of a YouTube video) and see if all the resolution options, including 1080p, are showing up.
I hope some more seasoned videographers will jump in to help.  I'd also enjoy seeing their workflow and suggestions.
2018-1-27
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Youtube is the easiest way to share probably.  Or something like Google Photos, dropbox..etc.   After flying why don't you download the video to your phone/tablet (make sure you have enough battery left though as it's slow), then upload to one of the sharing sites I mentioned.
2018-1-27
Use props
Checksum47
lvl.2
United States

I will do a test flight tomorrow and record some video.  The weather should be good (Wisconsin).  I will then upload some of it to Youtube.  Im not concerned with people on here knowing my Youtube Account.  I havent posted anything bad or illegal or personal.  The only thing I ever uploaded was an old VHS video of one of my friends High School Basketball team because he wanted to be able to share it with his old teammates.
I will try to document my process and steps so maybe someone can watch and see something Im doing that is causing my video to look like carp...
2018-1-27
Use props
Lee Moon
lvl.4
United States

Checksum47 Posted at 2018-1-27 16:57
I will do a test flight tomorrow and record some video.  The weather should be good (Wisconsin).  I will then upload some of it to Youtube.  Im not concerned with people on here knowing my Youtube Account.  I havent posted anything bad or illegal or personal.  The only thing I ever uploaded was an old VHS video of one of my friends High School Basketball team because he wanted to be able to share it with his old teammates.
I will try to document my process and steps so maybe someone can watch and see something Im doing that is causing my video to look like carp...

Excellent! I'm sure someone will be able to help you figure this out.
2018-1-27
Use props
Checksum47
lvl.2
United States

ok... At the bottom is the link to about 1 minute of test footage I shot today with my Spark.  The only thing I did within the Spark or within the DJI app was to set the White Balance to "Cloudy Day".  Then I imported it into "Final Cut Pro X 10.4" (trial) and cut it up into 3-4 segments and then went up to "Share" and selected "Youtube"  I did select 1080 @ 60 fps even tho the Spark only shoots in 30 fps.  I dont feel like it did anything to the video other than make it maybe a little bit smoother when I pan around.   
Also this was shot at about 4:00 p.m.  And the sun sets around 5-5:30.  So even tho it was cloudy, it was still decently light out...And there is NO audio...

2018-1-28
Use props
qbox
lvl.1

Italy

My first flight with DJI Spark (all auto)

2018-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules