Whats happening with Spark after Mavic Air release?
6336 98 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

OTG connection still with telemetry trouble on android.
I am still okay with wifi, works amazingly well, and DJI will fix the Go App for Android with one of the next (hopefully the next) update(s).
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Mariano500 Posted at 2018-1-24 14:33
It's not that it does not "work", the state is not binary ... it just does not do it well ... video with lag and cuts ... and you can spend a whole battery wanting to make a selfie with gestures.
If I could return it I would, but I live in the blessed Argentina and that is not possible.
I simply have to stay with a piece of piece that even in dreams is operated as sold by DJI. Did you ever get in touch with DJI support? you know how frustrating it is? apparently not, only comes to question the users who claim to my opinion in a valid way ... but not only have to deal with the painful support of DJI ... if not also with people like you.

I have dealt with support, but if you say you had a good experience then your shot down on this forum.

I have seen many people on you tube using gesture really well, I don’t use it I didn’t buy spark to use it so I don’t think to much about it.

Palm launch I have used a couple of times with no problems but I can also hand launch my Mavic and P4Pro .
If you have difficulty because you live in Argentina returning your drone then this also another issue dji  has , then shouldn’t sell drones if they don’t have the same support the rest of the world has.

I hope it gets sorted for you, but it looks like you might have to wait some more time.
2018-1-24
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fair enough.  I never knew that....I have only seen the posts from the admins saying it's not supported

I use OTG (IOS), and I haven't upgrade my app because I don't want to lose it.    But if I lost it I knew I wouldn't have a leg to stand on because they kept telling me it's not supported

Having said that, I believe it's fixed now in the latest version (for IOS anyway..not sure about Android)
2018-1-24
Use props
Toyman2k 9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72362 ft
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-24 15:09
fair enough.  I never knew that....I have only seen the posts from the admins saying it's not supported

I use OTG (IOS), and I haven't upgrade my app because I don't want to lose it.    But if I lost it I knew I wouldn't have a leg to stand on because they kept telling me it's not supported

Just did a quick flight using newest iOs and newest DJI Go 4 app with OTG and all back working and less lag yet there is still lag.  
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Mariano500 Posted at 2018-1-24 11:19
At no time I ask for 4k, I just want an efficient WIFI or OTG connection whatever ... but efficient and insecure when flying, gesture control? Well ... if we compare what it publishes to what it is in reality it is a scam ... and the RAW ... please simply make available the direct data of the sensor. Please see the video that I leave below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkPMzxne0I

Have to say that video is ridiculous, at least if they tried the correct way to achieve their goal.
But the adults allowing children to mess around like that no prop guards best place to try this out over water NOT.
And as for the last guy he’s just a clown.
2018-1-24
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-24 16:53
Have to say that video is ridiculous, at least if they tried the correct way to achieve their goal.
But the adults allowing children to mess around like that no prop guards best place to try this out over water NOT.
And as for the last guy he’s just a clown.

I had the same comments as well, but then i read the comments from the original youtube video.   The guy was making a point about how the millennial these days don’t read instructions, don’t take time to work out how to do things.  They want instant gratification.  He was showing how the gesture control isn’t as intuitive as you would think.  You need to practice and do it correctly.

Gesture control works fine for me, but only after reading how to use it.  First time i tried it, I had troubles, but found out was ME, not the spark.  Ie you need to register your face first, you need to watch the flashing lights, you need to wave from your elbow (not your wrist)...etc.

2018-1-25
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-25 06:53
I had the same comments as well, but then i read the comments from the original youtube video.   The guy was making a point about how the millennial these days don’t read instructions, don’t take time to work out how to do things.  They want instant gratification.  He was showing how the gesture control isn’t as intuitive as you would think.  You need to practice and do it correctly.

Gesture control works fine for me, but only after reading how to use it.  First time i tried it, I had troubles, but found out was ME, not the spark.  Ie you need to register your face first, you need to watch the flashing lights, you need to wave from your elbow (not your wrist)...etc.

what a statement ... I am a millennial and I can assure you that I have a good technical level. I do not know it but if I had to bet I would say that my training with technology is much higher than yours.
What you see in the video is real people in a real world trying to interact with a product that is clearly not polished. There is no failure in the operation, the video knows what the orders are ... but of course the technology is not good enough and polished enough to make a good interpretation of the movements.
From what DJI advertises to what it is in real life there is a very big way ... it is an echo ... it is not about putting on the market a product that advertises that can be handled with gestures and then if you are not a manikin making robotic movements will not answer you. I'm interested in the advances of DJI in technology ... but things are gentlemen.
And out of respect for the creator of the post I will not follow this topic as it is off topic.

Hugs
2018-1-25
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Malaysia

I sincerely (or rather hopefully) DJI will still maintain and upkeep Spark and Tello (by Ryze Tech) as it is can be considered as DJI entry level and it is still less than a year old. Mavic Air is just a natural progression of the Mavic series in order to match what will be introduce in 2018 by other brands. And it is quite a lot looking of potential new offerings at CES2018.

It is a product positioning in both pricing and feature, so consumer (new and existing) will still consider strongly at DJI available range rather than other brands.

My 2cents.

However of course I felt rather bummed with just owning the Spark less than 2 months and the Mavic Air arrives. Personally, I will go for Mavic Air if  I have not purchased the Spark.
2018-1-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Mariano500 Posted at 2018-1-25 07:45
what a statement ... I am a millennial and I can assure you that I have a good technical level. I do not know it but if I had to bet I would say that my training with technology is much higher than yours.
What you see in the video is real people in a real world trying to interact with a product that is clearly not polished. There is no failure in the operation, the video knows what the orders are ... but of course the technology is not good enough and polished enough to make a good interpretation of the movements.
From what DJI advertises to what it is in real life there is a very big way ... it is an echo ... it is not about putting on the market a product that advertises that can be handled with gestures and then if you are not a manikin making robotic movements will not answer you. I'm interested in the advances of DJI in technology ... but things are gentlemen.

Ummm...I was commenting on what the creator of the video YOU posted was saying.  This was YOUR evidence...not mine.  If you don’t like what he’s saying, why post it as your evidence ?  Why are you so defensive about it ?  I did not say this was MY OPINION.    But if you watch the video, it is ridiculous.  The kids are not palm launching, they are throwing the drone in the air or taking their hand away.     They are doing tiny hand waves instead of large swinging movements.      I was also agreeing with you.  Gesture control is NOT intuitive.  I admitted that I also had troubles
You seem very defensive about every post that is mildly supportive of DJI.    You clearly have an issue with yours and DJI....that’s fine, you’re entitled to that.  You went to the effort of creating a post asking what people think of DJI, which I am sure you were hoping to show that people are unhappy, only to find that over 85+% said they were satisfied.  Oops, that backfired on you.  

As for your technical knowledge, i have no idea about yours, I do not care.  You however do not know mine either.  How do you know that I don’t have over 30 years experience in the IT industry and manage IT operations for a large retail chain ?  Or that I have been involved in RC aircraft mor many years, running an indoor heli club and building my own planes and helicopters from scratch?   You can’t even get your damn Spark to work, and you want to question my technical knowledge ?  LOL.

The irony of this is, I liked that video.   I was annoyed with it at first, until I read the posters purpose....but you seem to be triggered very easily.

2018-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-25 13:27
Ummm...I was commenting on what the creator of the video YOU posted was saying.  This was YOUR evidence...not mine.  If you don’t like what he’s saying, why post it as your evidence ?  Why are you so defensive about it ?  I did not say this was MY OPINION.    But if you watch the video, it is ridiculous.  The kids are not palm launching, they are throwing the drone in the air or taking their hand away.     They are doing tiny hand waves instead of large swinging movements.      I was also agreeing with you.  Gesture control is NOT intuitive.  I admitted that I also had troubles
You seem very defensive about every post that is mildly supportive of DJI.    You clearly have an issue with yours and DJI....that’s fine, you’re entitled to that.  You went to the effort of creating a post asking what people think of DJI, which I am sure you were hoping to show that people are unhappy, only to find that over 85+% said they were satisfied.  Oops, that backfired on you.  

I fully agree with what you are saying and thanks for pointing out my bad for not understanding the full outcome of the video.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think Spark will be continued for some time. It's price has dropped to a level the Mavic Air won't get too very soon.
I do believe the Mavic Pro will be replaced soon, since that seems too pricey for what it offers compared to the Mavic Air.
Hopefully for an improved version.
There is room for all versions I guess. Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro (2) and the bigger bird also.
Just like we have about 5 iPhone models in the stores today.  
2018-1-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-25 13:43
I fully agree with what you are saying and thanks for pointing out my bad for not understanding the full outcome of the video.

Lol...don’t mention it.  I had the exact same reaction when I watched it...then thought i’d look at the comments and read the posters comments.....then it clicked.   The poster has years of experience in RC and has 2 certified pilots in his production team, so they knew what they were doing.....they just wanted to see what kids would do intuitively.  
2018-1-25
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-25 13:27
Ummm...I was commenting on what the creator of the video YOU posted was saying.  This was YOUR evidence...not mine.  If you don’t like what he’s saying, why post it as your evidence ?  Why are you so defensive about it ?  I did not say this was MY OPINION.    But if you watch the video, it is ridiculous.  The kids are not palm launching, they are throwing the drone in the air or taking their hand away.     They are doing tiny hand waves instead of large swinging movements.      I was also agreeing with you.  Gesture control is NOT intuitive.  I admitted that I also had troubles
You seem very defensive about every post that is mildly supportive of DJI.    You clearly have an issue with yours and DJI....that’s fine, you’re entitled to that.  You went to the effort of creating a post asking what people think of DJI, which I am sure you were hoping to show that people are unhappy, only to find that over 85+% said they were satisfied.  Oops, that backfired on you.  

Just to clarify who you text ... you take mine context. I am one of the most enthusiastic of DJI and the first to promote its development, are more advances that put to the disposition that failures that leave unpolished before taking out a new product.
As for the rest ... you are simply of those people that I do not think it's worth to answer more ... so follow the IT management ... and if you want to measure yourself with me and pass please please for MP, so stop messing up the post

My apologies to the creator of the post for the off topic.
2018-1-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Mariano500 Posted at 2018-1-25 14:04
Just to clarify who you text ... you take mine context. I am one of the most enthusiastic of DJI and the first to promote its development, are more advances that put to the disposition that failures that leave unpolished before taking out a new product.
As for the rest ... you are simply of those people that I do not think it's worth to answer more ... so follow the IT management ... and if you want to measure yourself with me and pass please please for MP, so stop messing up the post

Enthusiastic ?  All you do is complain about wanting RAW files and reply to my posts, then say you won’t be replying to my posts. Lol.  You seem to attack me a lot too....then act like you’re taking the higher ground.   Funny stuff
2018-1-25
Use props
Patrick696
lvl.2
Flight distance : 537851 ft
United States

My wild speculation is that the next iteration of Spark will be the proving ground of voice command/smart assistant integration.
2018-1-25
Use props
Mariano500
lvl.2
Argentina

Patrick696 Posted at 2018-1-25 16:04
My wild speculation is that the next iteration of Spark will be the proving ground of voice command/smart assistant integration.

That is a good vision!
2018-1-25
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I wouldn’t mind if some accessories for spark will get cheaper soon .  So I’ll be happy to see RAW photos supported by spark in some near future. That’s all what I’d like to see in spark and I’m not feeling sorry to have sparky because DJI show us Mavic Air.
2018-1-25
Use props
Samuel Bona
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

Mr Sparkle Posted at 2018-1-24 01:15
There's still some advantages to the Spark.

The foldable arms of Mavic Air/Pro is both a Pro and a Con, they make the drone more portable but they break easily. Spark is sturdy, I crashed it numerous time and it survived without any damage. Another thing is the camera, DJI drone's camera hangs at the bottom like a pair of testicles - they broke off if you crashed into the tree branches (seen it numerous time on Youtube).

I totally agree with this, and this is why I am hesitant to upgrade to the mavic air. I love the matte finish on the Spark, im not trying to get dates with my drone- lol. the 'Toy' look it has to it makes it way easier to work with people nearby- I totally agree, and If I am going to shoot 4k I am going to use my gopro H5 and P series drone. My channel is just a hobby I do on the weekends, I don't need 1000 dollar drones.
Just my opinion. You do you, it does look pretty slick.

Regards-
Samuel Bona
2018-1-25
Use props
DylanR2011
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148596 ft
United States

I still think it's a separate market and it'll get updates going forward. Maybe a small update physically late 2018 or 2019 but I think the spark is here to stay. I spent $399 to get a spark just to start before I jump to any mavic. For most people who are fine using their phones using that maybe one extra battery is all they need. The people that want a solid drone option but don't care about the extra's too much. Like 4k, camera coloring, and several other options. A family fun and selfie drone in a way. I've had my Spark for maybe a week and I've already passed on links for purchase to several people considering it because they want something lower priced entry level.  Even having mentioned the other options out there. Here in the US The Spark alone is $399. The Mavic Air is $799, double the price and the Mavic Pro is $999 a few hundred more over the air even. That to me is a very solid starting lineup. The Fly more combos  fit nicely between the drone price points and over those drones plus a few extras to do a little more flying.  In the mind of somebody who knows drones and tech something like Spark may seem like obsolete but in the mind of any average consumer wanting to jump into the drone market it's a great starting point.
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules