Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stupidity and Flyaways
1132 7 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kripdish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120922 ft
United States

I was sitting on my deck yesterday trying to work out the problems my Nexus7 and transmitter/wifi extender that I had expirienced earlier while flying(image freezing and lost signals). I was using the last of a battery when the alarm went off and I did not cancel the failsafe when prompted so the PV2+ began to asend to return to its starting point. Sadly I was under the Hickory tree that overhangs on that portion of the deck. The PV2+ dropped 8-10', crashed into the railing and down to the deck. It seemed ok, that is, everything intact. I got a fresh battery and took it out to an adjacent field to test it out. Powered up, linked to tablet, opened vision app, all seemed in order and hit the throtle stick.  It immediately shot up in the air 100-125' and started heading east completely unresponsive to the controls. I shut off the transmitter trying to trigger the failsafe and it started coming back stopping above the homepoint, only to head east again. However it worked its way back and started a rapid decent over the homepoint, touched down bouncing back up 7' and headed east crashing into my house, breaking 3 of the props and ejecting the battery.  I did not follows Gerry1124's warning and do the calibration dance prior to the test flight. Oh well, live and learn.  Happy to say that today after installing new props and calibrating the compass before flight it flew and performed as if nothing had happed. Nexus was working with it well also, go figure.

2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Thanks for sharing a candid experience and glad you ar back up and buzzing around!
2015-4-24
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Glad its good to go and didn't fly off into oblivion.
2015-4-24
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

What did the PT2 Assistant say about the IMU status after the 2 crashes ... Advance calibration not needed?
2015-4-24
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Glad you are still flying.  
2015-4-24
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure if this figures in, but it's not the calibration dance that needs done constantly, but rather the "Find My Phantom" screen should be checked carefully to make sure the home point is exactly where you think it is!

Also, never fiddle with the quad when the battery is below 50% or so....I had a bit of the same experience as you when I decided to fly the machine close to me and the ground on a 40% battery....figured nothing bad could happen with the machine only 6 feet high. The sun was bright and I wasn't looking at the screen anyway and it went into RTH (battery must have hit 30%) and popped right up and hit a tree and then tumbled over. No damage....luckily.

I turned off that "feature" and now make sure the bird is on the ground at 40%.
2015-4-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

As a new flyer (not sure if you are or not) I would be a bit extra cautious, knowing your distances, time to get home and so on..maybe 30-35% battery and she should be on the ground and everyone is happy and safe and not panicking..
I rarely "if ever" and past my third flight only twice (that's right...TWICE!!) landed with more than 25% battery showing...why would I?, I bought this damn thing to fly it, not to drive it like Miss Daisy to half empty and then have to stop and refuel at 40-50%..That is B.S.!...I don't buy another jug of milk when the other is half empty and I don't wait till it is empty either!..yes, the battery seems to go quicker as it gets lower but that is something you have to use your smarts on...when I am down to 30% or so I make sure I am within about a 1,000' or so and not too high and that is plenty of time at that point for me to get home and buzz around for another minute or two "without issue" and to land safely...again. smarts is the key...if you are going to be fighting a head wind to get home from afar, give yourself a bit more time...
I absolutely refuse to fly this nor ever will on pins and needles!
More importantly than all of this when all else fails, know your RTH and Failsafe options and always leave yourself room for a clear landing and hopefully a safe and clean landing!
Happy flying!
2015-4-24
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120922 ft
United States

Godfrey Posted at 2015-4-25 08:30
What did the PT2 Assistant say about the IMU status after the 2 crashes ... Advance calibration not  ...

No calibration required, as if nothing happened. It is a BEAST!
2015-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules