Will Mavic Air features be ported to PRO?
12Next >
1976 44 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, Do you think the new features (apart from the rear sensor and internal storage) will be ported to the Mavic Pro? The new obstacle avoidance, 120fps and 100mbps would be great to have on the Mavic Pro.
       A few years ago some people managed to hack the Panasonic GH2 to get 100mbps so I am thinking most of the new features on the Mavic Air would be software rather than hardware related.

Thanks

2018-1-24
Use props
driverseat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1788576 ft
Netherlands

Hi, Yesterday I was looking at a announcement video at YouTube about the Mavic Air. Expectations that some of those new features in future will be added to the Mavic Pro or Plat. are denied. But... you never know. Today I've ordered the new Mavic Air. Grtz. driverseat
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

driverseat Posted at 2018-1-24 04:29
Hi, Yesterday I was looking at a announcement video at YouTube about the Mavic Air. Expectations that some of those new features in future will be added to the Mavic Pro or Plat. are denied. But... you never know. Today I've ordered the new Mavic Air. Grtz. driverseat

Hi, I watched the full event. I never heard him saying that they the new features wouldn't be ported to the Mavic Pro/Platinum....but he never said they would be either! I just bought the Mavic Alpine White two weeks ago...so I'm hoping they are! ;)

I like the new features but had so many problems with Wifi on the spark I would be nervous with the Air...
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I very much doubt this.
The main limitations probably involve more than just a firmware upgrade and will have hardware implications also.
Like the higher bitrate and slow motion framerate.
But some of the intelligent modes could probably easily be moved to MP as well.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

They will find themselves onto the Mavic but will be improved ... you cannot Launch a new or revised Mavic without it giving some significant benefit over the outgoing model or the model below it such as the Mavic (read Spark Air)
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-24 05:25
I very much doubt this.
The main limitations probably involve more than just a firmware upgrade and will have hardware implications also.
Like the higher bitrate and slow motion framerate.

They may have throttled back the Mavic Pro. Panasonic did that with the GH2 then someone hacked it and managed to get faster bit rates. I think slomo is more of a software thing as well..Like apps for an ipad etc. The problem could be onboard memory for software.
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-24 05:28
They will find themselves onto the Mavic but will be improved ... you cannot Launch a new or revised Mavic without it giving some significant benefit over the outgoing model or the model below it such as the Mavic (read Spark Air)

I just hope they aren't keeping the new features for the Mavic 2 (or whatever it will be called).
2018-1-24
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 05:48
I just hope they aren't keeping the new features for the Mavic 2 (or whatever it will be called).

Based on DJI's current product naming policy giving misleading info ... I bet the new improved Mavic 2 will not even have Mavic in it's title .... no, it will be called something like ....  'Phantom Air' and therefore, the next Phantom will be called .... 'Inspire Air'  but then what do they call the next Inspire? .... not sure they have thought that far ahead.
2018-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-24 05:28
They will find themselves onto the Mavic but will be improved ... you cannot Launch a new or revised Mavic without it giving some significant benefit over the outgoing model or the model below it such as the Mavic (read Spark Air)

Bang on - thats why we didn't see quick shot modes on the Mavic Pro until enough Spark's sold.
2018-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2018-1-24 06:13
Based on DJI's current product naming policy giving misleading info ... I bet the new improved Mavic 2 will not even have Mavic in it's title .... no, it will be called something like ....  'Phantom Air' and therefore, the next Phantom will be called .... 'Inspire Air'  but then what do they call the next Inspire? .... not sure they have thought that far ahead.

Matrice Air LOL
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 05:47
They may have throttled back the Mavic Pro. Panasonic did that with the GH2 then someone hacked it and managed to get faster bit rates. I think slomo is more of a software thing as well..Like apps for an ipad etc. The problem could be onboard memory for software.

I'm not sure about throttling back on the bitrate. That could also be a hardware limitation, although we never know.
Except that they won't add it to the original Mavic Pro.
You need some incentive to update to the Mavic Pro 2 that will come someday.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-24 06:16
Bang on - thats why we didn't see quick shot modes on the Mavic Pro until enough Spark's sold.

They are doing what automotive manufacturers do ... they are blurring the boundaries between models you only have to look at the way the German manufacturers have so many models all resembling beefed up or toned down versions of each other.

BMW 3 series to BMW 4 Series ...... anyone tell the difference? (apart from the number)
Audi A3 saloon to Audi A4 saloon ..... virtually identical

Granted, most of us could find the differences sitting in a showroom with a brochure but when one flashes past on the motorway, there is not a huge amount of difference.
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Based on DJI's current product naming policy giving misleading info ... I bet the new improved Mavic 2 will not even have Mavic in it's title .... no, it will be called something like ....  'Phantom Air' and therefore, the next Phantom will be called .... 'Inspire Air'  but then what do they call the next Inspire? .... not sure they have thought that far ahead.

Maybe Mavic is reserved for foldable drones.
So Phantom will be fixed, like spark.
But that is just a wild guess.

2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe Mavic is reserved for foldable drones.
So Phantom will be fixed, like spark.
But that is just a wild guess.

2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-24 06:22
I'm not sure about throttling back on the bitrate. That could also be a hardware limitation, although we never know.
Except that they won't add it to the original Mavic Pro.
You need some incentive to update to the Mavic Pro 2 that will come someday.

They may add 4k 60fps to the Mavic Pro 2 as the sweetener... ;)

I just saw some footage of the Mavic Air in a side by side comparison with the Mavic Pro and it actually looks softer (IMHO) than the Mavic pro! May be prototypes though.
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 06:42
They may add 4k 60fps to the Mavic Pro 2 as the sweetener... ;)

I just saw some footage of the Mavic Air in a side by side comparison with the Mavic Pro and it actually looks softer (IMHO) than the Mavic pro! May be prototypes though.

Ok, I have not watched real comparisons so far.
Where did you see it?
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-24 06:57
Ok, I have not watched real comparisons so far.
Where did you see it?

@ 5:50
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 07:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUryRvNmgs

Thanks a lot
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 07:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUryRvNmgs

You're right.
MP and P4O look better.
That is unexpected.
But I remember him having issues with his first Mavic.
Not sure if this is related though.
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-24 07:34
You're right.
MP and P4O look better.
That is unexpected.

Yeah, I was expecting Air with 100mbps to be much sharper! I'm wondering if the Mavic Pro has a superior camera/glass and they are using the 100Mbps to compensate. Of course it could be different sharpening algorithms and the Air is dialed down.
2018-1-24
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The next model will be Mavic Air Super Pro Platinum Hollywood edition
2018-1-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 07:46
Yeah, I was expecting Air with 100mbps to be much sharper! I'm wondering if the Mavic Pro has a superior camera/glass and they are using the 100Mbps to compensate. Of course it could be different sharpening algorithms and the Air is dialed down.

It doesn't have to be sharper, but it should give less artifacts.
But I must say this comparison does not look as expected indeed.
But don't judge too soon. Some earlier models have had issues in the past.
2018-1-25
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-25 00:05

Like I said, they could be prototypes....
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-25 01:15
Like I said, they could be prototypes....

They probably are to some extent, since he must have gotten one earlier to be able to make this vlog.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Neroangelo, thanks for your attention. Please pay attention to the release note of next firmware of Mavic pro. We will inform user if the mavic pro support this feature.
2018-1-25
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-25 01:57
Neroangelo, thanks for your attention. Please pay attention to the release note of next firmware of Mavic pro. We will inform user if the mavic pro support this feature.

Thanks Elektra...I wait with bated breath... ;)
2018-1-25
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-25 00:05

I hope they disabled the ugly sharpening/noise reduction on the Air and that this does get "ported" to the Pro (no processing power needed to disable a feature!).

However, I don't think C. Neistat's comparison can be pixel peeped. We don't know whether the same settings were used.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

0Kajuna0 Posted at 2018-1-25 05:55
I hope they disabled the ugly sharpening/noise reduction on the Air and that this does get "ported" to the Pro (no processing power needed to disable a feature!).

However, I don't think C. Neistat's comparison can be pixel peeped. We don't know whether the same settings were used.

No, that is true.
It is hard to compare without any settings AND with the post processing he did.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-25 03:59
Thanks Elektra...I wait with bated breath... ;)

So am I
2018-1-25
Use props
Airball
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-25 06:42
No, that is true.
It is hard to compare without any settings AND with the post processing he did.

According to the descriptions, the footage was straight out of the camera, no post. The difference in quality was striking in the 200% and 500% crops - the Mavic Pro was clearly better.

I have a hard time believing the settings weren't comparable - Casey knows Go 4 like the back of his hand.

Still, I would like to see 100Mpbs brought to the Mavic Pro via firmware update if possible. It would be a nice show of support by DJI for advanced/professional users.

I'm certain the Mavic Pro II will have numerous features other than just bitrate to make it a worthwhile upgrade.  
2018-1-25
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

0Kajuna0 Posted at 2018-1-25 05:55
I hope they disabled the ugly sharpening/noise reduction on the Air and that this does get "ported" to the Pro (no processing power needed to disable a feature!).

Don't need to pixel peep. it's very obvious... ;) But yeah, like I said, it could be a prototype, we don't know the algorithms or settings...

C.N. said it is his new favourite drone...whether that is sales pitch, I don't know. Although, He also said, "to the untrained eye you wouldn't see the difference in the footage between this (Air) and a much much bigger harder to fly drone."  Take from that what you will.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Airball Posted at 2018-1-25 08:08
According to the descriptions, the footage was straight out of the camera, no post. The difference in quality was striking in the 200% and 500% crops - the Mavic Pro was clearly better.

I have a hard time believing the settings weren't comparable - Casey knows Go 4 like the back of his hand.

It can't be straight out of the camera, since it was edited. They did not make any correction, but it was not raw footage.  Although I doubt it will have caused this degradation, but it could have.
Still I hope this is due to a pre production model issue, otherwise the MP looks a bit better even.
Which is strange.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-25 08:14
Don't need to pixel peep. it's very obvious... ;) But yeah, like I said, it could be a prototype, we don't know the algorithms or settings...

C.N. said it is his new favourite drone...whether that is sales pitch, I don't know. Although, He also said, "to the untrained eye you wouldn't see the difference in the footage between this (Air) and a much much bigger harder to fly drone."  Take from that what you will.

We will see in the nearby future as others will make comparisons soon.
2018-1-25
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

I'm not so sure the bitrate could be ported to the Mavic Pro without some kind of hardware implementation.  I could be off base though!
2018-1-25
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Macdugel Posted at 2018-1-25 11:32
I'm not so sure the bitrate could be ported to the Mavic Pro without some kind of hardware implementation.  I could be off base though!

Like I said...somebody managed to hack a panasonic GH2 years ago to give higher bitrates (I think they got it to 200Mbps if I remember right) ...whether they limited the hardware for the GH3 I don't know. I would imagine the processing power of the Mavic Pro is way beyond the GH2 (granted the Pro more things to do but GH2 was only 1080 50i/60i). I'm pretty sure it is processor limited. I may be wrong but I wouldn't think that the processing power in the Air is more than the Pro (it is just over a year)...Pro has cine 4k over UHD as well...again...I could be wrong...

Hopefully we find out soon...and we get everything we desire...
2018-1-25
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-25 12:29
Like I said...somebody managed to hack a panasonic GH2 years ago to give higher bitrates (I think they got it to 200Mbps if I remember right) ...whether they limited the hardware for the GH3 I don't know. I would imagine the processing power of the Mavic Pro is way beyond the GH2 (granted the Pro more things to do but GH2 was only 1080 50i/60i). I'm pretty sure it is processor limited. I may be wrong but I wouldn't think that the processing power in the Air is more than the Pro (it is just over a year)...Pro has cine 4k over UHD as well...again...I could be wrong...

Hopefully we find out soon...and we get everything we desire...

I absolutely hope you're right!  I'd love to see a higher bitrate on the Mavic Pro. Fingers crossed here.
2018-1-25
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Spain

Airball Posted at 2018-1-25 08:08

Credible rumours speak about a 1 inch sensor.

Also, at what minute are the 200% and 500% crops? I can't seem to find them :S
2018-1-25
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Spain

I just had a look at the Mavic Air video samples found here: https://www.tomstechtime.com/dronefootage

They are not soft at all. Actually, the sharpness in the Air looks natural, as opposed to the unavoidable (unless you use negative sharpness, which creates the dreaded the water-color effect ) artificial sharpness of the Pro. You can also get a feel of how artifact-free the footage is (although that depends a lot on the subject filmed). I still believe the Pro could have such clean footage if sharpness was really disableable in a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. Such a pitty considering the "Pro" label, when in-camera sharpening is such an unprofessional setting.
2018-1-28
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

I think a new model should be "Spectre Air"
With "Stealth" technology, could be an issue with VLOS...
Honey I lost the drone
2018-1-28
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

0Kajuna0 Posted at 2018-1-28 11:19
I just had a look at the Mavic Air video samples found here: https://www.tomstechtime.com/dronefootage

They are not soft at all. Actually, the sharpness in the Air looks natural, as opposed to the unavoidable (unless you use negative sharpness, which creates the dreaded the water-color effect ) artificial sharpness of the Pro. You can also get a feel of how artifact-free the footage is (although that depends a lot on the subject filmed). I still believe the Pro could have such clean footage if sharpness was really disableable in a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. Such a pitty considering the "Pro" label, when in-camera sharpening is such an unprofessional setting.

Yeah, I saw other footage today and it did look better sharpness wise..as good as,but not better than the Pro IMHO. As others have said , it would be good to be able to switch off noise reduction as well.

I’ve only had the pro for a couple of weeks but have noticed strange artefacts (large moving blob) that others have mentioned, so 100mbps would be good.

I’m hoping that the pro, being more expensive, gets some new features.
2018-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules