Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
500m height limit
92239 222 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chriwi2
lvl.1
United States

In the spec sheet it says VERY clearly that the service ceiling is far above what is possible-thats EXACTLY what the spec sheet is-is sale material.  In the same section that describes all the speeds and flight times for THIS vehicle-it says the ~19,000' ceiling.  since there is so much crap on the net-I tend to take the product spec sheets over everyone's BS opinion-and did so here.  THEN I find that the app and firmware both limit the capabilities SERIOUSLY-and *that* is what is missing from the marketing material.  As far as safety...in the UK, US, or Antarctica for that matter-can you tell me the material difference between a plane hitting a BIRD, and hitting this COPTER?  In case you struggle finding the "claim" it can go higher-here is the shot of the spec sheet on the website.

2016-3-20
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not struggling with anything thanks. I can see the Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level limit; I agree if they show that absolute limit above sea level, they should probably show the relative limit above take off point too.  That said, all the posts on the web aren't BS; they actually tell you what you needed to know before you bought it and assumed you could fly to 20,000 ft.  Most people would realise that is clearly impossible with a 28 minute battery life and a max ascent speed of 6 M/s.
The other points I made still stand; if you have special needs, don't get a consumer mass market drone.  And maybe trust the internet for independent information a little more...

2016-3-20
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Some of us that would like this "feature" removed desire it not to get altitude records or images from space, but to be able to fly legally and safely at or below 400' AGL in steep terrain or in circumstances where there aren't these restrictions such as local laws or proper approvals. There is an argument for the battery limitations aspect but I'd prefer to be responsible myself for such things rather than be baby-sat by a software developer beyond any legal requirements. Wayyy too much "nannying" these days.
2016-3-20
Use props
chriwi2
lvl.1
United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-20 15:33
Some of us that would like this "feature" removed desire it not to get altitude records or images fr ...

The nannying is EXACTLY the problem-and I am already fatigued with people arguing the wrong point on my original post and assuming I wanted to try to fly to 20k feet-which is the ONLY meaningful stat provided on the company provided on altitude limitations on its official stat sheet on its website.

I further made points about a bird strike vs. drone strike-which nobody has looked at or responded to in favor of obtuse arguments about the quality of my research (which I admitted sucked) or trying to argue that I should have looked to someone other than DJI for the stats on their product.  I didn't assume I could fly the thing to 20k feet-NOR did I assume I could only vary from my point of takeoff to only 500M above that point-a very clear and significant undisclosed (by DJI at least) limitation of the product.

I was pissed when I wrote the original post-now I am resigned to the facts I should have found before buying-neither of which should affect the fact that DJI should mention this limit in their own web content-and consider the problems it creates for users of the product.  
2016-3-21
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

Try searching in drone forums for people using a Jtag and Hex editor's to change the bin files to allow whatever height you wish.

Do at your own risk. People are doing this...

I didn't mention this though and don't ask for link's..
2016-3-21
Use props
chriwi2
lvl.1
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-3-21 11:25
Try searching in drone forums for people using a Jtag and Hex editor's to change the bin files to al ...

I appreciate the useful response.  Good luck to you.
2016-3-22
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

maxverschr@gmai Posted at 2015-4-27 03:06
You lucky basterds ... In Belgium in 2 months a new law concerning multicopters will arrive and the  ...

I think your government needs to reevaluate it regulations when there are only certain hours during which you can raid suspected terrorists dwellings.  Or at least that is the story we get here in the U.S.  
2016-3-22
Use props
matt-muckleroy
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-25 11:30
I am sorry, it is a policy set by DJI HQ.  Also note that if you loose GPS signal then the altitude  ...

Why?  If it can fly 2,000 feet across, what difference does it make if the machine is  flying up?    It was fine before the software upgrade a few days ago.
2016-4-21
Use props
gearbow.hotmail
New

Canada

photo@magicsea. Posted at 2015-4-25 18:31
I wonder how many people asking for no height limit would it take to make DJI change their mind abou ...

I live in the mountains I have used my earlier versions of the Phanton to recon cave entrances and get summit shots from the valley floor.  I can no longer do this without hiking up towards the summit which i can not always do.  

I would be fine with registering my drone and signing a waiver to have a download that would remove restrictions so i could continue to use their product but as it stands this will be the last DJI Phantom i purchase.  
2016-7-6
Use props
rogerresende
lvl.1

Brazil

Thats a shame! I am a filmmaker and I usually need to go higher than 500 meters to film some landscapes with hills or sinuous rivers and this is a bad limitation. Anybody knows if I can change this using another apps like Litchi or similar?
2016-7-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

rogerresende Posted at 2016-7-27 11:29
Thats a shame! I am a filmmaker and I usually need to go higher than 500 meters to film some landsca ...

No, it is hard coded into the Phatom, and it does not matter what app you use, you still have the same restriction.
2016-7-26
Use props
rogerresende
lvl.1

Brazil

Wonder if Ferraris manufactues became to limit the speed to 80 Km/h because you can heat and kill someone? This limitation is a disrespect with the individuality. Each one must be responsible with your own aircraft. If my aircraft falls from 400 meters on someones head probably will kill him. What the diference between 500 and 1000 meters? I can't understand that. I can kill someone using a unit around me. Thats a really bad limitation and i am considering another brands for my next equipment change.
2016-7-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rogerresende Posted at 2016-7-28 22:29
Wonder if Ferraris manufactues became to limit the speed to 80 Km/h because you can heat and kill so ...

" Thats a really bad limitation and i am considering another brands for my next equipment change."

We hear that all the time and it's a chuckle because there's still nothing out there to compare.
Anything else available now would be a step backwards.
If you find something better let us all know.
2016-7-28
Use props
rlassman
lvl.1

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-28 07:48
You did not tell me anything I did not already know. Tell me what happens if the drone is at 200 m ...

If you loose signal at 200 m and your RTH altitude is set to 50 m the aircraft will first adjust heading for a straight course back to homepoint. Then before moving the aircraft will descend to 50 m. Now mind you, if you hit the left stick up or down while it's changing altitude it will stop going to RTH altitude and begin to fly quickly towards home point. You can also ascend and descend as it returns home if you regain control signal even without video signal.

Many times I fly in dense city areas with 400 meter tall buildings and many times I completely loose signal so my RTH altitude is always set to 500 m in those situations.
2016-10-30
Use props
rlassman
lvl.1

United States

I really don't understand than DJI's 500 m altitude restrictions or the FAA's 400 ft ceiling. I can fly an ultra light to 12,000 ft without suplimental oxygen. So what's the difference, because I'm not physically in the aircraft I don't have good enough visibility?
2016-10-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

rlassman@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-31 07:20
If you loose signal at 200 m and your RTH altitude is set to 50 m the aircraft will first adjust h ...

"Then before moving the aircraft will descend to 50 m."

No ... the Phantom will never descent to RTH until it is right above home point.
And there's a significant downside to setting RTH to 500 metres.
Any time your Phantom loses signal and has to RTH, it must climb 500 metres and descend 500 metres regardless of the height of local obstacles.
That's 4.5 minutes of extra flight and the additional strain of a long climb that may not be necessary and could see you losing your Phantom if the battery is already low.
You are much better to set an appropriate RTH height for your flying location.
2016-10-30
Use props
fansea0638f5
lvl.1
Czechia

DJI introduced this altitude restriction, not because it was there idea, obviously it effects their sales having this cap. Its mostly due to the US and EU legislation. DJI are forced to meet EU and US laws, thats why they did it. otherwise their products would be banned in the EU and US, around 800 million people.
2016-12-28
Use props
fans72abc4e5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 465144 ft
United States

Not sure if anyone really has an answer. I live in New York went to Turks in Caribbean a week ago to test out new P4P drone and was upset to find out that my drone could not go passed 1640 ft or 500m. My buddy has P3P and he can go above 12000 ft. We waited until the airport was closed to take flight. Clear skies and no airplanes flying anywhere. What a big let down from DJI. Can't believe that they don't disclose this info before you buy it. Wanted to plan trip to Colorado to get footage in really mountains but not sure it will be worth it.
2017-1-30
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

You can bypass the height limit by hitting rth and the holding the throttle up
2017-1-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans72abc4e5 Posted at 2017-1-30 10:39
Not sure if anyone really has an answer. I live in New York went to Turks in Caribbean a week ago to test out new P4P drone and was upset to find out that my drone could not go passed 1640 ft or 500m. My buddy has P3P and he can go above 12000 ft. We waited until the airport was closed to take flight. Clear skies and no airplanes flying anywhere. What a big let down from DJI. Can't believe that they don't disclose this info before you buy it. Wanted to plan trip to Colorado to get footage in really mountains but not sure it will be worth it.

'My buddy has P3P and he can go above 12000 ft. '

Rubbish, you would not have the battery capacity to get up that high and safely back down again.
2017-1-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

timbo Posted at 2017-1-30 12:44
You can bypass the height limit by hitting rth and the holding the throttle up

That trick, was corrected in some rather recent firmware. So it doesn't work anymore.

But nice try!! Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans72abc4e5 Posted at 2017-1-30 10:39

"Can't believe that they don't disclose this info before you buy it."

I can't believe you think they didn't disclose this.
It's been there in the specs since the day it was released.
The catch is, you have to read them.

"Wanted to plan trip to Colorado to get footage in really mountains but not sure it will be worth it."

Of course you can take it to Colorado.
You're very unimaginative if you think you have to fly thousands of metres up to get good shots.
You could take it to Everest base camp and fly there if you wanted to.
2017-1-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-30 15:52
What about using the new CSC emergency decent that's under discussion in another thread?

Yeah, it only works in one direction.
2017-1-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-30 16:26
Yeah, it only works in one direction.

Going down, all aboard... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-30
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

OMG! that damned 500m limit! People will complain about anything! ;) Never had the need to fly higher than 800 relating to take off point, no need to ever fly more than 400 ft above ground....
2017-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dji is not the only product that enfoces arbitrary limits.  Most motorcycle manufacturers have a software limit of 186mph on their sportbikes, like the CBR1000rr, the GSXR1000 and any other Japanese made motorcycle.  You can remove the limit with a Power Commander or similar device.  But really, does anyone need to exceed 186mph on a public road?
2017-1-30
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-30 14:56
That trick, was corrected in some rather recent firmware. So it doesn't work anymore.

But nice try!! Ha

I only tried it once last summer lol.
2017-2-2
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-30 17:16
OMG! that damned 500m limit! People will complain about anything! ;) Never had the need to fly higher than 800 relating to take off point, no need to ever fly more than 400 ft above ground....

When I first got the drone I loved taking it up to the limit, now that the novelty has worn of I never go that high.
2017-2-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Michael M Posted at 2015-11-2 10:38
I dont like the limit because I fly up mountains and 500 meters is not that high. You can be 500 meters away but only 10 feet of the ground.

Why not find a place higher up to launch from.

In a couple of weeks I will be launching from 2700m and flying 450m up over a lovely range.

But here's a video from my home mountain area.  You can see some areas are more than 500m below the drone.

2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

timbo Posted at 2017-2-2 07:32
I only tried it once last summer lol.

Oh really? Where is the video documentation, from that delightful experimental experience?

I have flown up to 300m but only while on private property, in the country side at www.ercha.ca heli field.
It was quite spectacular with a view only eagles regularly see while soaring at.  I couldn't see any mice or ground squirrels running through the fields though. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2017-2-2
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-2 08:09
Why not find a place higher up to launch from.

In a couple of weeks I will be launching from 2700m and flying 450m up over a lovely range.

I was going to make that comment too! About taking off from higher elevation. I know this topic has been kicked around a lot before, and I had heard about the holding down the RTH and pushing the altitude up that way, but sounds like that is no longer an option with the newer firmware. I have never tried that or had the desire to go that high, but if you wanted to get creative couldn't you fly up to some point and then find a place to land, (Good-luck with this! LOL) kill the motors and then take off again. Wouldn't it reset your take off point. Keep in mind your home-point would also be affected, right? Just wondering if this would work? Provided you could find a place to sit it down? Let's see if some brave sole wants to give this a try and report back.
2017-2-2
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-2 11:36
Oh really? Where is the video documentation, from that delightful experimental experience?

I have flown up to 300m but only while on private property, in the country side at www.ercha.ca heli field.

I don't think I saved the video, I only went 100 feet or so above the limit
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

timbo Posted at 2017-2-2 15:55
I don't think I saved the video, I only went 100 feet or so above the limit

Eh, even if you have done it, I wouldn't suggest posting a video with it publicly.

We already have enough bad press, without pushing the boundaries of common sense, not to mention the already strict reg's.

Fly safe, and keep it smart. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-2
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

there are two readings for altitude: baro and gps. you cant mess with either. but 500m is more than enough considering the wide camera.
2017-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-2 16:12
there are two readings for altitude: baro and gps. you cant mess with either. but 500m is more than enough considering the wide camera.

No, there is only the barometer, the aircraft does not use GPS for altitude, it is way too inacurate.

2017-2-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-2 16:12

Well I am still a newbie. Took the last 2 days off flying as some winds around the mountains.  Just look a the trees around and see them swaying.

I am happy enough with the 500m flight limit.  Also where I fly I am sure at times to be at cloud level. Today I had low clouds would easily have been in the fog. Had it not been for the wind I may have flown.

Also I am flying over mountains and tea farms mostly. Have done a video of my village but what I do now is fly around it at say 350m height so if I do crash it won't be on top of someones house. Or on somebody.  I am going to take a friend up to a national park where we are allowed to fly but again I will try to stay away from people.  It's just common sense.

Here is one of my first video flights.  I didnt go far away from my vehicle and was already at a decent height so only added about 20m above launch.  But when I install my ARGtek antenna I am going to fly to where that bridge is in the valley and across the other side.  Now imagine if I even addded another 350m in height.  I have great LOS and hope to get some really cool footage.  Of course I may end up 800m above the valley floor.  

2017-2-3
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-2 16:05
That would work but no way I'm remote landing on the side of a mountain 500 meters away.  Best case would be a 500M uphill slog to retrieve the upside down drone  ;)

Ha-Ha! Yeah me too. I was seriously only joking. Like RHP said, there is enough bad press without stupid acts like this. 500M is a long way up there and should be sufficient.
2017-2-3
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-2 16:10
Eh, even if you have done it, I wouldn't suggest posting a video with it publicly.

We already have enough bad press, without pushing the boundaries of common sense, not to mention the already strict reg's.

comment removed
2017-2-3
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-3 08:39
500M is a long way really, especially in unfamiliar mountainous terrain.  It's one thing to fly from my house slightly out of VLOS where I know it's flat as a pancake and nothing is higher than 160 feet.  I have a feeling once I start flying in the mountains in new places I won't want to go out of VLOS.

A lot of this is people banging away on a keyboard in the winter dreaming and theorizing I think.

Oh Yeah! Wish I was near some mountains. Look forward to seeing some footage when you get a chance to get out there.
2017-2-3
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-24 20:29
It is above the take off point.  The 6000m is the maximum service altitude AMSL.

Just for reference, there are very few full-sized helicopters capable of operating at 6000 meters altitude above sea level. At those altitudes, the air is too thin to provide sufficient lift for most rotary-winged aircraft.

I suspect our Phantoms would experience the same problem.
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules