2017-2-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hoomi Posted at 2017-2-3 09:10
Just for reference, there are very few full-sized helicopters capable of operating at 6000 meters altitude above sea level. At those altitudes, the air is too thin to provide sufficient lift for most rotary-winged aircraft.

I suspect our Phantoms would experience the same problem.

The specs and evidence from Everest Base Camp disagree with you.
Here's what is in the specs
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level        19685 feet (6000 m)
2017-2-3
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-24 19:30
I am sorry, it is a policy set by DJI HQ.  Also note that if you loose GPS signal then the altitude is limited to 120m until lock is reestablished.

That is true, I was flying over 120 meters and then It came down and I got signal
2017-2-3
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I think they should use google maps to figure out where the drones limit should be.
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

rogerresende Posted at 2016-7-28 04:29
Wonder if Ferraris manufactues became to limit the speed to 80 Km/h because you can heat and kill someone? This limitation is a disrespect with the individuality. Each one must be responsible with your own aircraft. If my aircraft falls from 400 meters on someones head probably will kill him. What the diference between 500 and 1000 meters? I can't understand that. I can kill someone using a unit around me. Thats a really bad limitation and i am considering another brands for my next equipment change.

My vehicle is software limited for max speed. The engine can certainly push the car faster but driving a 2 tonne Ford Ranger beyond 200kmh is simply dangerous.

It does ride so smoothly though but it's not a sports vehicle.
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-3 14:22
The specs and evidence from Everest Base Camp disagree with you.
Here's what is in the specs
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level        19685 feet (6000 m)

No he is correct.  Very few helicopters can reach 6000m.  Who needs to  drone at 6000m?  

The Blackhawk has a ceiling of 19000 ft and is most commonly used by rescue forces in many countries.

2017-2-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-3 16:35
No he is correct.  Very few helicopters can reach 6000m.  Who needs to  drone at 6000m?  

The Blackhawk has a ceiling of 19000 ft and is most commonly used by rescue forces in many countries.

"No he is correct.  Very few helicopters can reach 6000m"

I didn't comment on helicopters.
His guess that a Phantom cannot operate at 6000m is incorrect.
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

I suggest he takes it to 5500m and launches from there and see.

I'm taking mine to 2660m then 3000m and will go up to max 500m just to see.
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-3 23:45
I'm taking mine to 2660m then 3000m and will go up to max 500m just to see.

Please share a video of that, Sky reach... ;-)
But if anything goes wrong, I don't want to read about it... Ha
Be safe, fly carefully.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 00:05
Please share a video of that, Sky reach... ;-)
But if anything goes wrong, I don't want to read about it... Ha
Be safe, fly carefully.

Will do.

I will be at Tatajia and Yu Shan in Taiwan. Just a short trip up the mountain from where my home is.

Plan on a really early morning to catch the sunrise.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-4 02:05
Will do.

I will be at Tatajia and Yu Shan in Taiwan. Just a short trip up the mountain from where my home is.

Hey, that should be a fun time. Looking forward to it.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

The Phantom may fly at 6000 meters above sea level, but the thin air is STILL going to be an issue. The physics of flight remain the same. If the drone flies at that altitude, it is going to have to spin the props faster to produce the lift needed to climb. Whether we're talking an aircraft that fits in a backpack, or one that can carry a dozen people with their backpacks, or the C-5 Galaxy capable of carrying a full-sized battle tank, the aircraft must be able to produce enough lift to overcome gravity. The thinner the air, the more difficult that is to achieve.

Air density at 6000 meters is a small percentage of what it is at sea level. Personally, I have no imminent plans to travel to that altitude, let alone trying to fly my Phantom at such, but if I did, I would do some very low-to-the-ground test flights to see just how the Phantom responds in the thinner air.

airdensity.jpg
2017-2-4
Use props
macnimation5
New

France

photo@magicsea. Posted at 2015-4-24 17:57
Then, will DJI consider removing this limit, or at least increase it to 800-1000m. There are quite a few people who don't like this limit, and some are canceling pre-orders.
What's the reason behind this limit? I don't think it is an attempt to comply with some countries' regulations as it is already way beyond those (in distance and height).

It is logical for the restriction. You are starting to go into aircraft airspace and so would be a danger. I am amazed at the number of people who do not realize that flying too high is dangerous to aircraft. Not thinking safety to me means that you should not be allowed to be in possession of a drone.
2017-7-18
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

dpmax007 Posted at 2015-11-25 15:11
Potential solution.  Why not set system height limits to (500m) AGL based on GPS coordinates vs topography maps.  Apparently the system has the ability enforce no fly zone.  Why not make 500m AGL a no fly zone- this would require implementing KNOWN topographical information into the system but would preserve the ability to work in the mountains and prevent the risks with RTH at extreme elevations.   Knowing local rules,  Being safe, and flying responsible are on the pilot.   I don't want a car with a max speed of 70mph. Just a thought?.

Cheers...  I do not yet have the confidence or skill as a pilot to risk these extreme flights but the lure of capturing images that can only be filmed by kicking dirt over the lines is why I invested my $$$.

DJI gets away with crippling their drones because people like us keep buying them. When sales diminish to zero, they will have to rethink their strategy.
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark Weiss Posted at 11-5 14:04
DJI gets away with crippling their drones because people like us keep buying them. When sales diminish to zero, they will have to rethink their strategy.

Most of what you say is hype and straight up bs.,

Where do you guys get this false info, then blab it in the DJI forum.. haha

Rediculous.

Please refrain from posting more lies. It gets silly.

RedHotPoker
2018-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI crippling drones?
In 4 years and thousands of flights, I haven't noticed that.
But I got the special model with GPS that works on cloudy days.

When sales diminish to zero ...
So far there's no hint of that happening.
I wonder why that might be?

2018-11-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

DJI gets away with crippling their drones because people like us keep buying them...

Apparently crippling X equals world domination in selling X.  Wow.  Who knew?  

I should buy a used car operation and just take a ball-peen hammer to every windshield on the lot.  I'll be rich!!!
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-5 16:20
Apparently crippling X equals world domination in selling X.  Wow.  Who knew?  

I should buy a used car operation and just take a ball-pean hammer to every windshield on the lot.  I'll be rich!!!

Heck yeah, slash the tyres too. Hehe

But save one car, for the getaway....

RedHotPoker
2018-11-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

From here on I am just going to downvote every post of yours, saves time refuting the absolute crap you write. I suggest others might do the same.
2018-11-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-11-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-5 16:53
We should get Rodger8 involved.  He's an expert.

Roger that!

Over and out!! Ha

RedHotPoker

2018-11-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-5 16:53
We should get Rodger8 involved.  He's an expert.

He must be around, I see he has downvoted you - yet again......
2018-11-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

limiting, he meant limiting, nope, i got that wrong, he meant crippling when he should have said limiting......
2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules