1229 12 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
santofilme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35758 ft
Brazil

Hello,

Today I did some tests with my P4P about range and signal quality.
Using 5.8 I could fly only 600m until radio signal went very low and RTH
Using 2.4 I could fly 900m until image lost.
Both flights were at 90m high.

I saw in youtube many flight in 4-5km from home point.
What should improve it? With distance I got some trees in between the radio and drone.

Drone is stable, image quality is very good, etc. My problem is the distance.

Thanks,
Ulisses
2018-1-24
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

Don't fly behind trees, if you have things in-between the RC and drone you will get signal loss problems.
2018-1-24
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

If there's no obstructions in between RC & AC then you might have the settings in beginner mode would be my guess. If you have trees etc in the way you're definitely going to have bad reception.

2018-1-24
Use props
santofilme
lvl.2
Brazil

Beginner's mode is off, I'll try to find a open area to test the range.
Thanks for the feedback.
2018-1-24
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Wifi from houses, your phone, cell towers - can all have adverse effects on range.

Most importantly though, make sure antennas are parallel, pointing up with the flat faces facing the phantom at all times
2018-1-24
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2018-1-24 15:06
Wifi from houses, your phone, cell towers - can all have adverse effects on range.

Most importantly though, make sure antennas are parallel, pointing up with the flat faces facing the phantom at all times

The antenna is just a thin wire inside the plastic looking antenna the flat part of the plastic antenna has nothing to do with the signal strength. What does affect signal strength is if the receiver and transmitters antenna have the same orientation, in this case the remote and the Quad use vertical propagation as referenced from ground. When the antenna on the remote is in a vertical position the signal is radiating in 360 degrees it would look like a donut same thing for the Quad.  The reason they have you switch to a horizontal orientation if you are going to hover the Quad high overhead is because the ends of the antenna has little to no propagation, so by going horizontal when the drone is overhead the signal strength is better the keeping the antenna vertical.
2018-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RMJovo Posted at 2018-1-24 20:02
The antenna is just a thin wire inside the plastic looking antenna the flat part of the plastic antenna has nothing to do with the signal strength. What does affect signal strength is if the receiver and transmitters antenna have the same orientation, in this case the remote and the Quad use vertical propagation as referenced from ground. When the antenna on the remote is in a vertical position the signal is radiating in 360 degrees it would look like a donut same thing for the Quad.  The reason they have you switch to a horizontal orientation if you are going to hover the Quad high overhead is because the ends of the antenna has little to no propagation, so by going horizontal when the drone is overhead the signal strength is better the keeping the antenna vertical.

'The reason they have you switch to a horizontal orientation if you are going to hover the Quad high overhead is because the ends of the antenna has little to no propagation, so by going horizontal when the drone is overhead the signal strength is better the keeping the antenna vertical.'

That's fine, except the antenna in the aircraft is in the legs, and has a very poor pattern straight down, and you can't alter that, so it is not a good idea to operate directly overhead.

2018-1-24
Use props
santofilme
lvl.2
Brazil

With the Phantom 3 Pro I could fly a higher distance at same conditions. I don't understand why a newer model is worst.
2018-1-25
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-24 20:30
'The reason they have you switch to a horizontal orientation if you are going to hover the Quad high overhead is because the ends of the antenna has little to no propagation, so by going horizontal when the drone is overhead the signal strength is better the keeping the antenna vertical.'

That's fine, except the antenna in the aircraft is in the legs, and has a very poor pattern straight down, and you can't alter that, so it is not a good idea to operate directly overhead.

Yes this is true. As a Electrical Engineer and also a Amateur Radio Operator I understand propagation and signal strength differences in antenna orientation in the case of the Quad overhead a vertical/horizontal antenna orientation as far as signal strength goes better then vertical/vertical.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

santofilme Posted at 2018-1-24 14:32
Beginner's mode is off, I'll try to find a open area to test the range.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sir, the range of drone will be vary from the position of the pilots and I would recommend you fly in recommended environment for better flight performance. The range of P4P:

FCC:7km,CE:3.5km.
Thanks for your support.

2018-1-28
Use props
santofilme
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-28 00:14
Sir, the range of drone will be vary from the position of the pilots and I would recommend you fly in recommended environment for better flight performance. The range of P4P:

FCC:7km,CE:3.5km.

Thank you for the info.

What is a recommended environment?
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

santofilme Posted at 2018-2-2 15:24
Thank you for the info.

What is a recommended environment?

You can check in our user manual or take the following picture as reference.
P4 flight environment.JPG
2018-2-6
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I think this low range have to do with CE  .... If he get 13 channels in the 2,4Ghz band , he is in CE mode .....if he got 11 channels the he is in FCC . doing this simply test the easy way to the best way to rule out possibilities ...

2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules