Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI MAVIC PRO FLAYAWAY EDITION
12Next >
3877 75 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chriswood718
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United States

After a year of ownership and thosands invested in batteries, goggles, DJI care and other accessories DJI Support has slam the door on me. Not even answering basic questions I have regarding what is the drone designed to do after a flyaway event ? (Does the battery run down and it lands or does it try to return to the home point which was set at million miles away for some reason ?) I was shocked I would receive this treatment perhaps there're some merit that flyways are not anabnormality but  induced by the manufacture. Just like apple with slowing down older iphone. If this happen to you call it anything other than a flyaway.

2018-1-24
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Chris, maybe I'm missing something but all I see in you video is error messages, beginning from launch, which would have prompted me to land ASAP. No GPS is a major red flag!
2018-1-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch. Sorry for your loss. Does your flight records show where the drone landed or is the flight records not recording during flyaways. Just asking
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

After i updated the firmware the mavic was in atti mode for 5 minutes then gps kicked in with 13 satellites so i took off and proceeded to photograph the sunset
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Argh, sorry to hear this.

Without a GPS lock, RTH can't work as it doesn't know where "home" is.

I'll occasionally risk launching without GPS lock if I know VPS is on and expect to gain lock after I get up 20 ft or so above blocking obstacles, but if I don't then gain lock, I'll land, it's just too risky to fly, otherwise.

The manual does a pretty good job explaining how RTH works, what it requires in order to work, and what to expect when signal is lost, obstacles are encountered, battery runs out, etc. What is unclear to you?
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 12:09
After i updated the firmware the mavic was in atti mode for 5 minutes then gps kicked in with 13 satellites so i took off and proceeded to photograph the sunset

But that's not what your video is showing, maybe you could upload the flight log to https://healthydrones.com/main?a=upload or http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and let us take a deeper look?
2018-1-24
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Did you re-check all of your setting after the update. I can/usually resets everything. And then I would have tested it in "baby steps"
As soon as you lost GPS, time to land it. Something is off here....
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-24 12:03
Ouch. Sorry for your loss. Does your flight records show where the drone landed or is the flight records not recording during flyaways. Just asking

It was recording at the time of the flyaway the last position on controller screen was a mile away from my house drifting in a south east Direction.
At this point it had asked me to return home which i'engaged so i wait for its return it never came back then I drove in the direction trying to reestablish a connection to no avail. i also noticed the video cache out on take off
2018-1-24
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Without GPS, there is no way for it to know where it is, let alone return to home.
Now, as you lost gps shorty after takeoff, you were in ATTI mode. you traveled some distance/height, location changes.
Now IF the Mavic reaquired GPS, then it found a new home. You might try looking where you think it re-aquired GPS.......
2018-1-24
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

If you took off in ATTI mode, there was not Home Point recorded.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-24 12:36
If you took off in ATTI mode, there was not Home Point recorded.

Yeah my experience was different than what was recorded on the app. Do you know if there's a way I can download the controller logs and what software do i need
2018-1-24
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 12:42
Yeah my experience was different than what was recorded on the app. Do you know if there's a way I can download the controller logs and what software do i need

Follow Ex Machina's advice in #6.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-1-24 12:25
Did you re-check all of your setting after the update. I can/usually resets everything. And then I would have tested it in "baby steps"
As soon as you lost GPS, time to land it. Something is off here....

I did what I always do after updates I wait until it says it has a home point and GPS lock. It seems every time I take the drone out for a flight it wants to update. My mistake was gaining an altitude   to reacquire signal and avoid obstacles. i should have forced a landing even if it meant crashing
2018-1-24
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, this is strange...
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-24 12:21
But that's not what your video is showing, maybe you could upload the flight log to https://healthydrones.com/main?a=upload or http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and let us take a deeper look?

Thanks will try uploading files.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 13:32
Thanks will try uploading files.

Wow thanks lot more info here the link http://app.airdata.com/main?share=vVGkSs
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Please use the PhantomHelp instructions and upload your log there instead; AirData provides much less information and is much less useful in a case like this.

And in the meantime, there's no need to spam a bunch of other threads just because you're unhappy with DJI's service.
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 14:05
Wow thanks lot more info here the link http://app.airdata.com/main?share=vVGkSs

Hopefully a PhantomHelp review can offer more clues, but I've never seen a log with 0 ft Home Distance for every entry -- is that your house we see in Airdata's map view? If not, you never had a functional GPS lock.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Yes it my house so I guess I had gps.The most  interesting think was the battery percentage at landing said 82% lead me to believe it landed at my last video transmission
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

I will try the other app
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 14:38
Yes it my house so I guess I had gps.The most  interesting think was the battery percentage at landing said 82% lead me to believe it landed at my last video transmission

Yes it my house so I guess I had gps.

You were flying in P-mode (i.e., have GPS) for at least a few seconds between 0:04 and 0:07 into the flight, but PhantomHelp will provide a much more complete picture.

AirData has some nice features and is good for what it's meant to be / do, but it's not intended to be used to analyze things like this.
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 14:38

I suspect AirData just assumes the last recorded battery event is "Landing", otherwise I don't know how it could know the landing battery strength without a live data connection.

Were you controlling the aircraft via WiFi?
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-24 14:46
I suspect AirData just assumes the last recorded battery event is "Landing", otherwise I don't know how it could know the landing battery strength without a live data connection.

The "Mode changed to WiFi_Reconnect" message is just AirData's misleading way of indicating that the connection between controller and aircraft was restored. If he uploads it to PhantomHelp and provides the link there will probably be a "Downlink Restored (after XXXm YYYs)" message at the same point in the flight.
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'm lost.  Your video really doesn't show much.  You had zero horizontal travel on the screen.  You had no camera image on the screen.  You had no GPS at any point on the screen.  Your screen makes no sense, to me.  You say you had satellites showing at one point, so you took off.  Where is that point?  I don't see them on the screen at all.  Something is really amiss here, but when I see something even fractionally like an error showing up on screen, I reboot EVERYTHING and start over.  I don't get it.
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

By the way, specifically what kind of surface (e.g., concrete) did you take off from and was there metal near the aircraft at launch?
2018-1-24
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

The problem mostly with Spark fly aways seem to be related to compass issues, which is somewhat mitigated on the Mavic pro by dual compasses. So I wonder if the Air has that will decide on it.
2018-1-24
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
United Kingdom

Return to what home? You have NO GPS, Your drone is flying blind....it doesn’t know where it is
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

ok new flight record with phantomhelp: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X5WPTY4BSHQFSOO2DEDT/

i never fly gps where is the switch
2018-1-24
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Chriswood718 Posted at 2018-1-24 16:05
ok new flight record with phantomhelp: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X5WPTY4BSHQFSOO2DEDT/

How long have you been flying?
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Not sure what you mean, there is no GPS switch on the Mavic.

What I can't understand is how you start out with valid GPS coordinates, and yet in the GPS Sat Count column there's nothing but zeros. Perhaps the initial entry coords are sourced from your phone?
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

There is no switch; you can't disable positioning mode when the Mavic is able to get a GPS "lock", which it normally can outdoors. Are you saying that you've been routinely flying it in ATTI mode before this?

Anyway, your log is a bit of an oddity and I don't recall seeing one like it before. I suspected magnetic interference prior to takeoff and can't rule that out completely, but now I'm more inclined to think this was a defective Mavic. Unfortunately, as you've already been informed by DJI, it's outside the 1-year warranty period so you won't be able to get a free replacement.

To answer your question regarding what should happen in this case, as others have pointed out, a loss of connection would normally trigger RTH (unless you've configured it otherwise, though few people do). But, again, as already mentioned earlier in the thread, without knowing where it is (i.e., when there's no GPS / you're in ATTI mode) the Mavic has no way of knowing how to go home.

You mentioned that its last known position was to the southeast and continuing to drift in that direction. I'd start looking in that last known location and move in the direction it was drifting, because it probably started landing right after the connection to your controller was lost, at least assuming that it was still in ATTI mode which seems likely.
2018-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

It *is* an interesting question as to what should happen when a: the craft enters ATTI mode, b: the data link is lost, and c: no homepoint was recorded, as shown in OP's logs.

Without GPS and at a height where VPS is not useful, the aircraft will drift.

You could argue that after a certain amount of time in this scenario the aircraft should attempt to land, but you could also argue that remaining in the air gives the owner more time to reestablish control of the craft. If a homepoint is available, remaining in the air might allow for a GPS lock and then the expected auto-RTH could be employed.

I do wonder what DJI chose to do in this scenario?

Chris, is your Mavic indeed outside the warranty period?

2018-1-24
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

No GPS No Map No Visual ?

It may be better not to fly when there is "NO GPS" situation .
2018-1-24
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Very unfortunate event and a hurtful lesson.
You started in opti mode, which feels like having gps but the mavic keeps its position via visual positioning system.
Then you gained height and the visual positioning system does not work at the height you reached.
Then the aircraft tried establishing gps connection one last time and entered atti mode.
From this moment onward you need to counter all your attitude changes and the aircraft starts to drift.
You experienced this as if you lost control but you had it, you were not prepared for this (especially if you are used to something else).As many other stated here your RTH activation does not help you in atti mode.
Sorry for your loss, hope you can find it or if you have put your credentials on it someone will bring it back to you.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-24 16:44
It *is* an interesting question as to what should happen when a: the craft enters ATTI mode, b: the data link is lost, and c: no homepoint was recorded, as shown in OP's logs.

Yes my Mavic is  2  months out of Warranty. I’m not looking for a replacement  I just wanted a discount on a new drone all in need is the airframe I have everything Else. An at  least some answer on what happen.  

Thanks   Chris
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-24 16:23
Not sure what you mean, there is no GPS switch on the Mavic.

What I can't understand is how you start out with valid GPS coordinates, and yet in the GPS Sat Count column there's nothing but zeros. Perhaps the initial entry coords are sourced from your phone?

Sorry Meant to say Wi-Fi switch
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-1-24 16:17

Got the Mavic Pro When I first came out 2016
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-1-24 16:17

2 year 1year with mavic
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-24 16:44

When the connection is lost and the Mavic is in ATTI mode it immediately starts landing.
2018-1-24
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Hang out some lost drone notes wih reward offer in your neighborhood.
2018-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules