Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
'Wing' Lights
2616 26 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Am I crazy? (dont answer) or are the lights backwrads? Isnt it traditional that RED lights indicatew the rear?  And Green indicating the front?  Why are they the oppopsite on the Inspire?  Also, has anyone tried swaping them?
2015-4-24
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Japan

Traditionally with DJI you mean?
Because the only rule I now with nav lights on flying objects, is a green light on the right side, red on the left and white in the back. Covering 110, 110 and 140°.
2015-4-24
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

True  But woulndt it make more sense to have RED in the rear?
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-25 10:57
True  But woulndt it make more sense to have RED in the rear?

Just swap the wires brother.
These are dual color bulbs, running off of servo wire.
They light up either red or green, depending on which ground wire is connected.
The black wire is positive, swap the other wire to change the color.
If you swap the wires u can change the colors so the RED is in the REAR like on every other vehicle on the planet, (and prolly ufos as well).

It's gonna rain tomorrow and I'm swapping mine.

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I'm with ya...show me bro...send me pics...duh  what wires?
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-25 11:38
I'm with ya...show me bro...send me pics...duh  what wires?

C'mon dude, the wires going to the bulbs.
If you can't figure that out, then don't even try it - lol

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I get the wiring part..but how do I start to take the damm thing apart to get to them wires?
2015-4-24
Use props
AirborneNinja
lvl.2

United States

The red in the front to me makes more sense because in my mind that means "caution object flying towards you" the same reason the colors are how they are on normal aircraft.
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

AirborneNinja Posted at 2015-4-25 12:04
The red in the front to me makes more sense because in my mind that means "caution object flying tow ...

I have a driver's license and use it in the USA.
Red lights mean you are looking at the BACK of a vehicle.
It could be different where you live.
I know the water swirls down the toilet in reverse in Australia.
Opposites are everywhere on this planet for sure, so I'm not surprised by your weirdness.

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
AirborneNinja
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-25 12:15
I have a driver's license and use it in the USA.
Red lights mean you are looking at the BACK of a  ...

Actually I am from the USA as well and in cars yes the lights are red in the back to mean caution, but do you see green lights upfront? no. Don't troll and make invalid points lol.

Also, you're wrong about the toilet water flow. There is no difference.

Lastly, my weirdness is based off of actual aircraft flight experience and the fact that I hold my private rotary license, flown Cessna 152 and 172, Cirrus SR-20, Robinson R22 and R44 RII
2015-4-24
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

The last thing you would want to do is to short circuit something...DON'T take the risk...Leave it be and just fly ;)
2015-4-24
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

Yeah if it isn't broken, I wouldn't fix it.  Then again I didn't even update my firmware since February so who am I to say lol.  The way I like to rationalize DJI's navigation light is like what AirborneNinja said.  Red means CAUTION and your control input will be OPPOSITE that of the craft.  Here in the US also so it'll take some getting used to.  Perhaps this will also help:  Green means ok to fly forward/away and red means stop/back off as craft is approaching???  Sorry not much of a help in rewiring, but hope it helps with remembering the lights.
2015-4-24
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

AirborneNinja Posted at 2015-4-25 12:04
The red in the front to me makes more sense because in my mind that means "caution object flying towards you" the same reason the colors are how they are on normal aircraft.

That's interesting I've never seen that.
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-25 15:15
That's interesting I've never seen that.

he's prolly from Australia

Anywho, if you take plastic light covers off you will see the bulbs and the wires.

and whoever said "if it ain't  broke don't fix it" never saw red lights on the FRONT of a vehicle, and has never flown on .17

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

For what it's worth I also find it strange and sometimes disorienting having the green lamps on the back. I have never seen any vehicle with green lights on the back of it and likewise any red lights on the front warning me that any vehicle is coming towards me..
I'm also less inclined to worry about a quad coming towards me than one flying away.. So a red light to me would normally indicate it's going away. I have also let friends and family have a flight (under instruction) and that apart from the wow factor the other comment is they keep thinking its facing the wrong way.

Moral to story do what ever makes you a better and safer pilot. The Inspire 1 lights are NOT navigation lights so no rules being broken there.
Thanks for the useful tip Bob. It's raining today so I might just have a look at that.
2015-4-24
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-25 15:28
he's prolly from Australia

Anywho, if you take plastic light covers off you will see the bulbs ...

Got that right.  Lost track of all them firmware version.  Must be cuz of the boonies I'm in, but never seen a red or green headlight for all that matter.   
2015-4-24
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

More interesting question ...

How do we get 'em to "strobe" !?
2015-4-25
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

OK, who is going first to do  this mod?
2015-4-25
Use props
ichbinbier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209603 ft
  • >>>
Canada

My two cents worth, working in the film and television industry having a red light in front of you means the camera is on and pointed at you. Too me this makes sense flying the bird as red then means it is pointed towards me.
As far as the green goes who knows? Maybe the opposite of red as their is no green light on a camera except for maybe a power on light.
2015-4-25
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Good point.  BUT, red means rear..period
2015-4-25
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
United States

I think that it doesn't have anithing to do with the lights in airplanes/cars or boats. i think that DJI wants to let you know (with the red light) is that your bird is coming towards you, so be aware that you have to invert your imput to get the copter turn the way you want
2015-4-25
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

These are not bulbs. These are LED'S, most likely surface mounted on a pcb and are an integral part of the motor controllers (ESC) . They are  used to broadcast the ESC status and aircraft nose direction.  If you want to change colours. You have to use software and program the changes to the board itself
The only thing you will do by trying the above, will be to void your warranty and potentially change the Colour to yellow (ESC failure) through carelessness.

Jason
2015-4-25
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

For what it is worth, my take on this is that RED = DANGER & GREEN = SAFE. If you become disorientated with your Inspire, then in a panick should it be flying fast towards you, the RED will make your brain react!

I definetly will be keeping the lights as they are. The only other suggestion I can think of to help others out, would be to fit a small strobing white light to the nose cone, like one of those bicycle lights!
2015-4-26
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cars dont have a Camera in front....Flashing Red means recording  camera internationally .. Camera coming towards you red makes sense.. Remember thia is a flying Camera not a plane with camera
2015-4-26
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

ichbinbier Posted at 2015-4-26 11:18
My two cents worth, working in the film and television industry having a red light in front of you m ...

just curious, what do you do in the video industry? i totally  agree with your point of view... Tally its always shooting so yes that makes sence...
2015-4-26
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I too am in the video business (director) and this has nothing to do with 'tally' lights. It has to do with logical-ness of having red in the rear...period..everything in this world that moves...cars..trucks...boats..etc., etc., has RED lights in the rear.  Period. DJI needs to change this
2015-4-26
Use props
ichbinbier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209603 ft
  • >>>
Canada

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-27 09:52
just curious, what do you do in the video industry? i totally  agree with your point of view... Tal ...

I'm an electric
2015-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules