Gimbal Motor Overload, pitch problems - HELP
1989 9 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

My Spark has about 1 hr on it, and no crashes.  Last time I flew, I  couldn't get the camera to point straight down (I was able to do so on  earlier flights), and got the error message "Gimbal Motor Overload".   That error went away, but the I couldn't point down.  

I thought that I'd bring it into the house and cool down. I did a  firmware refresh, and restart, and both IMU and compass calibrations.  That didn't seem to fix anything. The range in pitch was from 0 to -60  degrees.  The drone is sitting on a desk, powered off, and pointing  about 40 degrees down.  Manually, I can move gimbal up about 20 and down  about 40, where I encounter some resistance, but can get it to point  straight down.  However, as soon as I let go, it springs up to about 60  degrees down.

I first thought it might be related to the cold temps (~30 F), but when  the problem was still there at room temperature, it was clear that was  not the case.

On a separate matter, I tried to use the screen record function on my  iPhone 6 (latest iOS 11.2.2), to capture the overlaid data, but it seems  that in all but one cases, the phone always somehow cancels the  recording without any notice.  Does anybody else have this problem?  The  screen record function works fine with every other app I use, so I can  only speculate that the DJI GO 4 app is the problem.                                                
2018-1-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sir, please tell me the version of your app. What is the firmware of your drone? I would help you forward this situation. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-24
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

DJI GO 4 version 4.2.4
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your update. You are using the latest firmware of drone, right? I would forward this situation to our engineers.
2018-1-25
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-25 22:53
Thanks for your update. You are using the latest firmware of drone, right. I would forward this situation to our engineers.

Yes, current versions of all.  My particular issue is resolved; I was still within my return time window of Best Buy, from whom I purchased, and they took it back for a refund.  I'm going to buy a Mavic Air from them. Hopefully, that drone will not have any issues.
2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sparkflyer Posted at 2018-1-28 16:03
Yes, current versions of all.  My particular issue is resolved; I was still within my return time window of Best Buy, from whom I purchased, and they took it back for a refund.  I'm going to buy a Mavic Air from them. Hopefully, that drone will not have any issues.

Glad to know your dealer agreed the refund, thanks for your support to DJI product.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

Were you able to resolve your issue?  I had the same problem with my mavic pro (I do realize you have a spark and i Have Mavic) at around the same time as you after a firmware update even though mine had no history of crashes or problems but for when I updated the drone.  I was advised by DJI to send it in for diagnostic and repair but after receipt and a call DJI conceded no diagnostics but they default to replace the whole gimbal solution no matter if it was your fault or the firmware's fault--and of course at your cost.  In hindsight, I should have troubleshot it by rolling back to an earlier firmware or waited for a new firmware.  I am currently waiting for a call from a supervisor from DJI repair.
2018-1-30
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

Foxglove84 Posted at 2018-1-30 12:10
Were you able to resolve your issue?  I had the same problem with my mavic pro (I do realize you have a spark and i Have Mavic) at around the same time as you after a firmware update even though mine had no history of crashes or problems but for when I updated the drone.  I was advised by DJI to send it in for diagnostic and repair but after receipt and a call DJI conceded no diagnostics but they default to replace the whole gimbal solution no matter if it was your fault or the firmware's fault--and of course at your cost.  In hindsight, I should have troubleshot it by rolling back to an earlier firmware or waited for a new firmware.  I am currently waiting for a call from a supervisor from DJI repair.

Sorry to hear about your problem.  My Spark was babied, never crashed (unless you count falling  about 1 ft onto my sofa cushion, which I don’t, since all was worked fine after that). I did the IMU and compass calibration, after a restore to factory settings in Assistant, but that made no difference. DJI told me to send it in for assessment.  Even though I had Refresh, if it was needed, I wasn’t looking forward to do the hassle of two way shipping. Then, it occurred to me that I was still within the window for returns at BestBuy, so the choice was obvious - I took the refund, and look forward to applying it to a Mavic Air.
2018-1-31
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

Sorry to hear about your problem.  My Spark was babied, never crashed (unless you count falling  about 1 ft onto my sofa cushion, which I don’t, since all was worked fine after that). I did the IMU and compass calibration, after a restore to factory settings in Assistant, but that made no difference. DJI told me to send it in for assessment.  Even though I had Refresh, if it was needed, I wasn’t looking forward to do the hassle of two way shipping. Then, it occurred to me that I was still within the window for returns at BestBuy, so the choice was obvious - I took the refund, and look forward to applying it to a Mavic Air.
2018-1-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Foxglove, I've replied you in your original post, please check later.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-132292-1-1.html
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules